[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it really that bad? >Great music >Exciting Podrace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: Episode I.jpg (710KB, 1031x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Episode I.jpg
710KB, 1031x1500px
Was it really that bad?

>Great music
>Exciting Podrace scene
>Great villain
>The best lightsaber duel in the series
>Young Portman

Come on.
>>
>>83402659

>>The best lightsaber duel in the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

ROTS da bestest evah
>>
People were too triggered by Jar-Jar and a little kid doing what little kids do best.
>>
>>83402659
its my fav of all the prequels. fight me.
>>
Nah it's fine. Fuck RLM for saying kids didn't like it due to politics. I loved this when I was a kid far more than the OT.
>>
At least it had some creative input from the director. Just compare it to TFA.
>>
It's easily the best of the sequels but yes, it was pretty much exactly that bad.
>>
>>83402659
the entirety of the star wars series is fucking abysmal and I will never understand why it is so popular
>>
>>83402659
Jar Jar > Threepio

I still chuckle at the moments when he rambles incoherently and the other characters have to pretend like he's relevant.
>>
It's great
>>
>>83402707
>if you slow down a fight scene, you'll realize it's choreographed
>>
>>83402721
I've never gotten the meme that Phantom Menace is the worst prequel, or that Revenge of the Sith is a good movie, there's people saying it's as good as Return of Jedi.

Fuck, the acting is ridicolous in it, there's a reason so many memes comes from it.
>>
>>83402891
watch this for comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDs2UGCP2Fk where luke is actually trying to kill vader rather than just dancing with him
>>
>>83402659
>terrible script
>no characters
>embarrassingly bad dialogue
>jar-jar binks
>incoherent plot
>CGI as a substitute for a story
>designed to sell toys instead of being a movie
Yes, it really was that bad. It was terrible, almost as much as the other prequels.
I wonder what possesses you to do this to yourself every day.
>>
>>83402659
That was actually the first SW movie I've seen. Got a VHS tape, plugged it into my player. I was like 13 or 15 at the time. Thought the series were really silly and overrated after that. I did like the design on battle droids and how they were deployed, though.
>>
File: 1473716882755.webm (265KB, 1227x554px) Image search: [Google]
1473716882755.webm
265KB, 1227x554px
>>83403074
okay biting your shit tier bait

the only good fights I have ever seen in movies are from gooks. apparently westerners are too fucking incompetent to do something like this, whether practical or animated
>>
>>83402659
the prequels were memorable even if you don't like them.

I already forgot what happened in TFA
>>
Obiwan shouldve been the one in tatooine and jar jar on the ship
That wouldve saved all the poop jokes
>>
>>83403335
those are parries you fucking retard, vader is clearly aiming at him
>>
>>83403395
and even if you think vader isnt aiming at luke that would make sense in the plot lol
>>
>Great villain
Are you serious? There were three villains in this movie and none of them had any motivation.

Anyway, Phantom Menace was the best of the prequels but it still wasn't a good movie.
>>
>>83402659
Only thing distracting it from being judged fairly is Jar Jar.
>>
File: 1490743209429.jpg (304KB, 699x1211px) Image search: [Google]
1490743209429.jpg
304KB, 699x1211px
>>83403383
I havent bothered watching TFA but even I know what it is about: a glib facsimile

>>83403395
>>83403417
kek as expected of a star wars drone

you clearly have never seen a real parry
>b-but shitty fighting would make sense in the plot because muuh dad
damn I wish I was in the star wars world. I would make myself a gun and rule the universe
>>
>>83402659
shit tasters love it
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
>>83402659
>Now there's a guy standing up for his beliefs.
Your guardian angel is with you anon.
>>
episode 1 is like mediocre lotr 1.

you can see what lucas tries to set up, he want to set the stage for an epic quest (find or develop the chosen one / or in lotr: destroy ring) and a great conflict (clone wars / orc wars) at the end. the prequels are like Tolkiens LOTR saga but only in the end frodo/aragorn joins sauron and submits middle earth to a reign of darkness.

Lucas should have just followed the LOTR script more tightly - and his prequels would be celebrated like a poor man's LOTR triology. Not great - but good, passable movies.
>>
let me just remind you all of how this movie ended
>they bring little ani with them to the battle in stead of hiding him literally anywhere else on the planet
>once they get there they then tell him to hide
>he hides in the cockpit of a fighter because that is obviously the best hiding place
>accidentally activates it
>accidentally flies it to the space battle
>accidentally flies into the enemy hangar
>accidentally lands
>accidentally fires his weapons
>accidentally hits something that blows up the entire ship (which is located in the hangar for some reason)
>accidentally flies back out before the explosion reaches him
>apparently this ship also controlled every droid on the planet and in space
great movie 10/10
>>
>>83402659
> Exciting podracing scene
It lasts for 16 minutes and has only tangential plot importance. Its almost literal filler.
>>
File: 1481406901711.jpg (22KB, 397x398px) Image search: [Google]
1481406901711.jpg
22KB, 397x398px
>>83403783
In ROTS he accidentally killed Mace Windu.
And he accidentally became Darth Vader.
>>
>>83402659
Disney now owns all of star wars right? Why won't they allow a team of skilled editors (like the guys who edited SW:ANW) access to all footage and craft a new series? Or release all footage on disc and have a open source re-edit project.

Could make them money and allow for fan engagement. Disney clearly does not give a fuck about any of Lucas' ideas beyond the old triology - they ignored his suggestions and literally blew up all the planets that played a major part in the prequels. This could be perfect fan service and the final fuck-you to Lucas.
>>
>>83402659
Boring film, George Lucas has no talent
>>
>>83403783
You forgot:
>WHATS THIS BUTTON DO?
>WHOOPS
>UH OH
>YYYYIIIPPPEEEE
>NOW THIS IS POD RACING
>>
At least it wasn't created to appeal to diverse progressive demographic by an ethnically homogeneous board of wealthy semitic males.
Some actors were nice to look at too.
>>
>>83402659
It certainly is the best of the prequels. That is a fact.
>>
>>83402659
>Exciting Podrace scene

That has nothing to do with the rest of the story. It's not a good thing when the most exciting action sequence in the movie could just be deleted in scripting and not affect the overall outcome.

>Great villain

Maul? He's barely a henchman. He only became a decent character over a decade after the fact when he was brought back in The Clone Wars.The Neimodians are too goofy to be threatening and Palpatine probably should have appeared as Sidious until the end of AotC. Tyranus should have been their contact from the start.

>The best lightsaber duel in the series

Looking back on it, it suffers from the same flaw as the rest of the Prequel duels - too much emphasis on being flashy, too little on being meaningful. The repartee between combatants was as much a reason why the OT duels were so powerful.
>>
>>83402721
>>83402659
>>83402938
I is the best prequel (faint praise). No idea why people like III, I guess because muh gritty edgy darkness.
>>
>>83403783
But you see, it's poetry because he blew up the space station just like his son does later. George truly is the greatest of auteurs.
>>
The Phantom Menace suffers from having almost no actual dialogue.

Every time someone speaks they are either discussing what just happened or what is going to happen next. It's nothing but exposition. And the few scenes that are about character development fall flat.

Examples...

The "Angel" scene between Padme and Anakin comes off weird as shit because although Padme is only supposed to be 14, Natalie Portman was damn near an adult by that time and Jake Lloyd was actually 10.

The scene where the y discuss the podraces at the table and their is supposed to be subtlety between Qui-Gon and Anakin about whether or not he is a Jedi. It's so on'the-nose that it comes off ridiculous. Compare this dinner scene with the dinner scene from A NEW HOPE.

In ANH, Beru and Owen are sharing sideways glances with one another without Luke seeing. The audience knows that there is something going on with Luke's dad that his Aunt and Uncle aren't telling him. And the audeince gets it through character action, not through dialogue. This is later paid off when we (the audience) discover with Luke that his father wasn't just some pilot, but a war hero.

But in the TPM dinner scene the payoff is Qui-Gon mentions "Jedi reflexes" and then IMMEDIATLY shows off those reflexes by catching Jar-Jar's tongue. There's no mystery, because A: We already know Qui-Gon is a Jedi and B: Anakin would have to be retarded not to have figured it out. Which of course he does right after.
>>
>>83402659
It not a bad movie all in all, it has a sense of humor at least.

II is a shitshow that the only good thing is Nat Portman in tight outfits.
>>
>>83403783
You forgot spinning.
>>
>>83402659
II is the only arguably bad preaquel. The only reason people complained was because they didn't have enough Ti-Fighters and X-Wings. Search your feelings you know it to be true.
>>
>>83406241
>The only reason people complained was because they didn't have enough Ti-Fighters and X-Wings.

No one ever complained about this.
>>
File: Gonna need more droids.webm (1MB, 1200x500px) Image search: [Google]
Gonna need more droids.webm
1MB, 1200x500px
>>
What went right:
>Qui Gon and Maul are quite intriguing characters
>Music is on par with Star Wars music which is GOAT
>Natalie is a cute

What went wrong:
>Dialogue is atrocious
>Jar Jar
>Plot is moronic
>Podracing subplot
>>
>>83402707
Now THIS is autism
>>
>>83406375

This was back when it was established that you had to escape a planets gravity in order to enter hyperspace, same as ANH when the Falcon leaves Tatooine.

Now in Disney Wars, people can jump to and from hyperspace within a planets atmosphere. Shit is annoying.
>>
File: 1469348053696.jpg (50KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1469348053696.jpg
50KB, 500x379px
>>83402784
beginning of nerd culture for the middle class, plus Americans live through their entertainment industry
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.