[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a lore explanation for why Elrond didn't cast Isildur

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 11

File: elrond-isildur-ring.jpg (18KB, 335x404px) Image search: [Google]
elrond-isildur-ring.jpg
18KB, 335x404px
Is there a lore explanation for why Elrond didn't cast Isildur into the fire when he refused to toss the ring into the volcano?
>>
File: lotr strength of men.jpg (308KB, 680x798px) Image search: [Google]
lotr strength of men.jpg
308KB, 680x798px
Beta Elf
>>
>>83382760

No. But one could surmise that he didn't want to start a war between Elves and Men. Or that he did not want to slay is own kin.
>>
elves are the jews of middle earth - cause all the problems, provide no solutions, complain about the white men who did the heavy lifting
>>
>>83382760
My best guess is that Isildur was much bigger and stronger than a lanklet elf like Elrond, so it would have been impossible for Elrond to overpower him.
>>
>>83382760
>>83382760
He was invisibru
>>
>>83382989
>that he didn't want to start a war between Elves and Men

If they were the only people in the volcano, he could just say that Isildur fell

>Or that he did not want to slay is own kin

Elrond was elf, Isildur was human
>>
>>83382950

>oh no we were dumb faggots who fell for an obvious illusion and now the greatest evil of our time has a way of channelling his power

>welp better blame men for this
>>
>>83383081
>>oh no we were dumb faggots who fell for an obvious illusion and now the greatest evil of our time has a way of channelling his power

Not canon
>>
>>83383070
His title is literally Elrond The Half Elven
>>
I think it's because Isildur was now The King of Men, and Elrond didn't want to murder the human king. It would have been worth it, in the long run, but it would have resulted in war between Men and Elves.
>>
Isildur would have rekt his halfelven ass thats why.

Remember he was a prince of Numenor, the guys that were about to sail to literal heaven and punch a bunch of gods in the dick.
>>
>>83382760
Because that scene was created solely for the movie?
>>
>>83383111

>who is Celebrimbor
>>
>>83383151
>Remember he was a prince of Numenor, the guys that were about to sail to literal heaven and punch a bunch of gods in the dick.

And how did that work out? Not so good. Elrond is 6000 years older - with that much experience, fighting a human, even if larger, would be ez
>>
>>83383070
>If they were the only people in the volcano

It's entirely possible there were other cunts outside of Sammath Naur and could've seen.

>Elrond was elf, Isildur was human

Elrond is half Elf. And Isildur is the descendant of Elros, Eldrond's twin brother who chose the gift of Men and accepted his Human heritage over his Elven one.
>>
>>83382989
>No.
Why do fucks who've never read anything but fucking wiki articles pretend they know LOTR lore?

The actual fucking answer is they never fucking went into Mount Doom. Elrond and Cirdan said he should destroy the Ring, Isildur said fuck that he earned it as payment for his dead father and brother, and they all left.
>>
>>83382760
Elrond and Isildur never went into the volcano. This is a just a scene the movie made up to quickly illustrate the situation and corrupting of the ring.
>>
>>83382760
>push the guy
>the tower explodes
>the vulcan erupts
>everyone dies

literally no problem about possible witnesses or having to explain anything to anyone
>>
>>83383200

The Numenorians had the Valar shitting their pants and they would have bumfucked them if it wasn't for big guy Eru coming and crashing their island with no survivors.
>>
>>83383343
>Why do fucks who've never read anything but fucking wiki articles pretend they know LOTR lore?

OP was asking about the movie, not the books.
>>
>>83383343
>watch an entire movie beginning to end, paying attention the whole time
>ask a question in regards to the movie
>YEAH WELL IF YOU READ THIS BOOK AND THIS BLOG AND THE BACK OF THIS PROMOTIONAL CARTON OF MILK...

get over yourself
>>
>>83383506
No he fucking isn't because the "lore" of the movie is what's in the fucking movie!
>>
>>83382760

>if you destroy the ring, Sauron wins
>>
>>83383506

>Is there a lore explanation

FUCKING.

MORON.
>>
>>83383440
This is a good, direct answer to OP's question
>>83383343
This is pretentious uppity bullshit

Both provide the same answer, yet are entirely different in tone and presentation.
Know the difference.
>>
>>83383599
You need to either learn how 4chan quoting works or GO BACK TO FUCKING REDD.IT If you did, you would see I am no criticizing the OP for asking a question (though I totally could since this a b8 question that gets posted 5 times a week) but I am criticizing someone claiming to have the answer to the OP. FUCK OFF AND NEVER POST AGAIN.
>>
>>83383658
Another complete reddit retard appears >>83383688
>>
>>83383688
a question revolving around the movie was asked and an answer revolving around the movie was given

you brought your retard thesis crap into it all on your own
>>
Combination of not wanting to start a lot of shit with the entirety of humanity that was waiting right outside if he succeeded, and likely getting his ass killed instead
>>
>>83383768
AGAIN you fucking redditor, you don't fucking ask a question about the fucking LOTR lore and not want book information.

Second of all, even if we assume that, then the fucking answer you're cock guzzling is WRONG ANYWAY, because the idea of Isildur and Elrond being related is book only information that never appears in the fucking movie!

Last post you worthless trolls get.
>>
>>83383652
Lel. The books always take priority and in this case, they do answer the question.
>>
First off that scene never happened in the books. Isildur simply claimed the ring as a prize.

Elrond would have EASILY dispatched Isildur, Numenorian or not. Not only was he a descendent of Finwë, whose line was renowned even among elves, but Elrond also wore one of the uncorrupted rings of power. He could have killed Isildur without any effort. I'm assuming he didn't either because he didn't want to risk a political shitstorm or just out of love for Isildur and hope that he will have the strength to resist the ring's will.
>>
>>83383866
>Last post you worthless trolls get.
thank christ
>>
>>83383889
Again, another shitposter who has read nothing but the wiki articles appears! Guess what, Elrond himself specifically says how his ring doesn't fucking help you in battle.

Fuck all your motherfuckers, I'm out.
>>
>>83383938
>Fuck all your motherfuckers, I'm out.
How can we trust you after you lied about not posting again?
>>
>>83383889
>Elrond would have EASILY dispatched Isildur, Numenorian or not. Not only was he a descendent of Finwë, whose line was renowned even among elves, but Elrond also wore one of the uncorrupted rings of power. He could have killed Isildur without any effort.

doubt.jpg

Isildur was a seven foot tall superhuman from an elite bloodline of kings, not some random Numenorian.
>>
>>83383473
>The Numenorians had the Valar shitting their pants

Source?
>>
>>83382760
It wasn't fiscally responsible, given Elrond's back taxes and how they could have split the difference on the Ring by claiming the deductibles.
>>
>>83384193
>Isildur was a seven foot tall superhuman from an elite bloodline of kings, not some random Numenorian.

Who was descendant of an even more revered bloodline, which Elrond was still actively part of and was much closer to. Even (at first) when Aragorn tried to court Undomiel, Elrond told Aragorn that because of said bloodline that he was not even close to being a suitable match.
>>
>>83383608
>>83383652
Samefag
>>
>>83384403
>Elrond gave his foster-son permission to marry his daughter, on the condition that he must first become king of both Gondor and Arnor, for only a king would be worthy of Arwen's hand.

That's what Tolkien Gateway claims. I'm not disputing your claim though because I've only read the background books, not LOTR itself.
>>
>>83383866
Cry more faggot
>>
>>83383866
Someones upset
>>
Why was boromir able to take 3 arrow shots and not die immediately but almost all the orcs die in 1 shot?
>>
>>83382760
Elrond needed Isildur to sign the new trade agreement between Rivendell and Gondor
>>
>>83384805

Boromir is a high level Numenorian just one notch below Aragorn in terms of purity of blood. He's pretty much a superman compared to the average human
>>
>>83383866
>reddit spacing
>this assblasted
kek fuck off cunt
>>
>>83382760
Because they didn't go to the crack of doom in the books, Isilder just cut Sauron's finger from his body and claimed the Ring for himself.
>>
>>83382760
Would you try and kill the motherfucker who was holding the One Ring? Especially after you watched him defeat Sauron? Nevermind that they had been fighting for hours and hours and were probably tired as fuck. Also isildur was the first person to have the ring after sauron, so who knows, maybe he wouldnt turn all evil an shit.
>>
File: 1478119757348.gif (34KB, 194x198px) Image search: [Google]
1478119757348.gif
34KB, 194x198px
>>83384933
>OMG THE REBBIT SPACING THE SPACING THE SPACING OMG HOLY SHIT REEEEEEE THE SPACING!!!!!!! THAT'S SOMETHING WE SAY HERE, RIGHT? R-R-RIGHT? I'M NOT SUMMER!!!
>>
>>83384313
Manwe freaked out and begged Eru to intervene, who then broke the world from a flat earth into a globe.
>>
>>83384805
Legolas is a far better marksman and also Boromir is wearing way heavier armour than the orcs. Also he's a special snowflake as >>83384894 pointed out.
>>
>>83385004

Sounds like fan fiction garbage. Where do you come up with this?
>>
>>83384972
le mad?
>>
>>83384894

Also, in relation to >>83384805 bit about Orcs, it's usually because Elves' aim is pretty much on point compared to Orcs'. An Orc typically won't care about killing their opponent quickly. If anything, they like to make their victims suffer.
>>
>>83385078
No, I just want you to fuck off back to 9gag already. Stop pretending anyone gives a shit about how you space a post. That's a relatively new thing here that came along with the rebbit obsession.
>>
>>83385124
>no
>post is mad
>>
>>83383250
So at least that gives a bit more sense why Elrond chickened out. Isildur was like a great nephew to Elrond and one of the last living human family he had so maybe he didn't have the heart to bitchslap Isildur for the ring after the bloody war. At least in context it makes sense.
>>
>>83385143
>if you call me stupid, you are the mad one
Right If I win, I'm actually losing.
>>
>>83383151
Isildur was a weak ass coward who tried to flee from a measly orc ambush and got what he deserved
>>
>>83385208
>implying
>>
>>83385167
>and one of the last living human family he had

Isildur had a brother. He also had a son who actually ruled Gondor and Arnor as King for a time after his death.
>>
>>83385231
what am I implying? That you are retarded? Or that I'm not mad? Can you even English or greentext you dumb faggot?
>>
>>83385287
>seething
>>
>>83385327
>if you defeat them, they win
Keep spinning around in circles.
>>
>>83383866
>reddit spacing
>>
Because it's not just about physically destroying the ring, it's about rejecting its influence. Choosing to drop it and walk away. Simply murdering Isildur wouldn't destroy the power of the ring.

Look at the last scene of RotK, when the ring is destroyed, it falls into the lava and just sits floating on the top. It doesn't sink until Frodo takes Sams hand, finally deciding not to jump after in after Gollum.

Look at Bilbo, the least tainted by the ring despite holding it for 60+ years. Why? Because he's the only character, the only character in the whole story, to drop just it on the floor and walk away.

The ring is power, and thrives on people's lust for it, as long as people are obsessed with possessing it, it will survive.

That's my head-canon interpretation.
>>
>>83385347
>seething
>>
>>83385385
You are wrong on so many levels
>>
>>83385385
typical rambling of a reddit spacer
>>
>>83385443
Dude you fit in ok
Now dropeet
>>
>>83385385
You don't need a head canon interpretation when Tolkien spells it out for you. Also, this is all unbelievably wrong.
>>
If all elves are immortal, why do they look like they're at different ages? Why does elrond look like he's 50 but arwen 30 even though they're both immortal? Is this just a movie actor thing and they're all supposed to look like they're young?
>>
>>83384894
Nope, Numenorean blood was long time diluted when Boromir was born. He have the same lifespan and body than any other Gondorian guy. Aragorn got a lot more of Numenorean blood in comparaison.
>>
>>83385596
>The face of Elrond was ageless, neither old nor young, though in it was written the memory of many things both glad and sorrowful.
>>
>>83385596
They stop aging when they're 25.
>>
>>83385036
Nah, that's true. When the Numenorean navy went to Valinor, the Valars were really shitty themselves. I don't know why really, since they are fucking Gods but it seems the strenght of the army of Ar-Pharanzon was a bit overpowered.
>>
>>83385596
>Is this just a movie actor thing and they're all supposed to look like they're young?

It's a movie thing. Elrond is described in The Hobbit as looking 'neither old nor young'.
>>
>>83385596
>>83385712
Things can happen to them physically that wear and tear their bodies. Attacks from magic, like Morgoth's or Sauron's, can drain them. Many elves that were taken prisoner to work as slaves for Morgoth looked older than they were, after they were freed.
>>
so uuhm how long do elf children stay children and what is the age of consent in Middle Earth?
>>
>>83385758
>When the Numenorean navy went to Valinor, the Valars were really shitty themselves.

I don't see how. When the Numenoreans got to Valinor, they saw nothing. The Valar weren't shitting themselves, they were just confused because the Numenoreans were forbade from sailing west and nobody without the blessing of the Valar would ever be able to fully cross into Valinor.
>>
>>83385596
Elves stop aging when they reach the top of their body (25-30 years old) but they might looks older if they experienced some traumas in their life (like Eldrond). They can actually die from sorrow or despair.
>>
>>83385858
pedo, please leave.
>>
>>83385869
Then why did they called Eru to save their ass if they weren't scared ?
>>
File: ringandeye.gif (70KB, 300x414px) Image search: [Google]
ringandeye.gif
70KB, 300x414px
>>83382760
Elrond never took him into the forge. That didn't happen. If it had they would have ended up killing each other for possession of the ring.

No one can ultimately resist the ring, especially not in the forge where its power is strongest.
>>
>>83385758
The Valar weren't concerned, they just didn't understand why the Numenoreans couldn't obey a simple fucking instruction like "don't sail to Valinor". The fact that they wiped out all of Numenor in a matter of minutes kind of proves that they weren't really in trouble.
>>
>>83385897
how is it pedo if they're 200 years old???
>>
>>83385979
Except they did not, Eru did.
>>
>>83385443

shut the fuck up about spacing, how do you know what it looks like if you never go there? shut the fuck up

when people post a fuckhueg wall of text, nobody wants to read that shit. you were calling a totally different person out for it earlier, shut the fuck up cunt
>>
>>83385499
>>83385432

>Nope, you're wrong

Good talk guys.

>>83385443

>reddit spacer

I literally have no idea what that means.
>>
>>83382760
Because they were friends and Elrond wasn't a cold-blooded murderer, you autistic idiot.
>>
>Isildur cast it into the fire
>and your other ring
>>
>>83383024
The dwarves are - literally - the jews of Middle-earth.
>>
>>83386141
>this guy again
No, they aren't. How many times does it need to be explained how there is no intended allegory WITHIN the narrative of his books?
>>
>>83386041
Fair enough. But you get what I'm saying, right? The Valar were not that worried for their own safety. Look at the stuff they did prior to the fall of Numenor. You think they were afraid of one island of humans?
>>
>>83386083
Dude you pulled it out of your ass. It would take a whole page just to explain why your admitted head cannon is wrong, starting with bilbo being the only one to let go of the ring ( gandalf did it, bombadil did it, sam did it....)
>>
>>83386265
Tolkien also elaborated on Jewish influence on his Dwarves in a letter: "I do think of the 'Dwarves' like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue..."[11]
>>
>>83385949
>Then why did they called Eru to save their ass if they weren't scared ?

They didn't? The Numenoreans being forbade to cross into Valinor was decreed by Eru. He sank Numenor because that was the consequence for their sailing west. The Valar should have absolutly nothing to fear from men. They fucking dragged Melkor off of Arda themselves and he was the big guy who would've completely wrecked it had they not finally stepped in.
>>
>>83382760
in the books Isildur never takes the ring into mount doom, once he has possession of the ring, right there and then he decides to keep it.

Some more things to note, Isildur wasn't just a nobody king with a sword, he was Dúnedain warrior king. In a straight fight he might not have been able to kill Elrond but he would have held his own for some time. In front of a massive Dúnedain army Elrond would have had to start a fight, obtain the ring, and then force himself to destroy it- it just wasn't happening. The Dúnedain forces at Mordor greatly outnumbered the elves and amongst the soldiers there were some of the greatest Dúnedain warriors of the time.
>>
>>83386267

They may not have personally been in danger by the numenorians could have ransacked the island and killed many of the elves there.
>>
>>83386331
Again, that doesn't mean there are contextual allegories WITHIN the universe. Tolkien even said "I don't like allegory, so don't make one when you read this." An offhand comment about what somewhat inspired him in developing fantasy cultures doesn't prove a direct allegory when the same fucker said not to make any modern allegories at all.

I'm so fucking tired of this argument. Fuck off.
>>
>>83386332
>The Numenoreans being forbade to cross into Valinor was decreed by Eru

No, it was decreed by the valar. When the numenorians came there in force, they knew that they needed the BIG GUY's help to remake the world in a matter of seconds.
>>
File: mfw reckless faggotry.jpg (32KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mfw reckless faggotry.jpg
32KB, 1280x720px
>>83385385
worst post on 4chan right now. also

>I was there the day comfy LOTR threads failed
>>
>>83382760
The real question is why didn't Sauron put a door at the entrance of inner chamber
>>
lotr threads used to be so comfy, what happened?
>>83385976
Best answer
>>
>>83386460

reddit posters and their weird spacing ruined these threads for all time
>>
>>83383033
Not to mention, Isildur wasn't your run of the mill man. The men of Numenor were long-lived, strong, and powerful compared to average men
>>
>>83386404
>the author LITERALLY says dwarves are like jews
>HURR DURR NO MY HEADCANNON SAYS OTHERWISE LMAO
>>
>>83386498
Complaining about boogeymen is just as bad.
>>
>>83386451
the top was already covered to stop eagles from dropping the ring into the lava so the side opening was needed for the heat gasses to escape to prevent the whole volcano from exploding from the pressure
>>
>>83386498
Ironically enough you are using reddit spacing right now
>>
>>83386389
This.
>>
>>83386541
They are like jews, but were not inspired by them in any way shape or form
>>
>>83386541
Not him, source?
>>
>>83386541
I'll try to explain this one last time for you:

Tolkien (in the Forward of Fellowship) literally outlines how the reader is not supposed to take away any direct allegory from anything in Middle Earth. This DOES NOT MEAN he has no real world influences, as his languages and cultural descriptions and histories show. But to say they are direct allegories to Jews is being retarded and taking a handful of offhand remarks exceptionally out of context because you are most likely some /pol/ idiot.

An allegory is not a reference.
>>
>>83385266
Yeah. It was Isildur's family that ruled Arnor, and Anarion's that ruled Gondor. Eventually Anarion's line died out except for some female descendant who married into the Isildurian line which eventually resulted in Aragorn
>>
File: 700.jpg (7KB, 200x211px) Image search: [Google]
700.jpg
7KB, 200x211px
>>83386551

DELETE THIS NOW
>>
>>83386655
Why don't you shitpost the bad thread
>>
>>83386535
>Not to mention, Isildur wasn't your run of the mill man. The men of Numenor were long-lived, strong, and powerful compared to average men

Because of Elven ancestry.
>>
>>83386041
>Eru intervenes to destroy Numenor
>does nothing to stop Sauron, Saruman and all his other failed creations

why was he such a terrible god? no wonder no one worships him in middle earth
>>
>>83386649
Then why does he say they are like jews if he doesn't want people to think of them as jews?
>>
>>83386699
No. The Valar gave them a longer lifespan for their help in the war of wrath against Morgoth, nothing to do with elves.
>>
>>83386712
Eru was more a "I create things and I watch what happend" type like God. He only do something when shit hit the fan too hard.
>>
>>83386699
what? Not because of Elven Ancestry but because they were related to Númenóreans, the chosen men who were gifted with great strength and long lives by Eru himself.
>>
>>83386712
He was jelly of his hip Australian brother, Emu
>>
>>83386712
Actually, I don't think anybody worship Eru because they basically don't know him. Maybe the Elves in Valinor do, because the Valars told them about it but the people in Middle Earth aren't really aware of all the shit behind the story.
>>
>>83386763

Nah, man. The Valar were just laying shit down (an FYI, if you will) for half-Elves who chose the gift of men.
>>
>>83386744
Because that isn't what he is fucking saying you idiot. He mixed and matched all sorts of cultures together. He never says, "Da JOOS ARE DWARVES"
>>
>>83386763
>>83386803

what is it with >>83386699
fanfic tier faggots
>>
>>83383116
He was only about 1/8 human. Half-elven is the lineage he comes from. His paternal grandfather was human and his maternal great grandfather was Beren.
>>
Why did Gandalf have to spend years researching whether the Ring was the One Ring? What would he have found out that he wouldn't have already known? Did he not know about the etching on the side beforehand, did he find something in a book about Gollum getting it at one point? Isn't he demigod who has been around for hundreds of years? How does he not know all this already? Was he not kicking around Middle Earth during the first war?
>>
>>83386869
You are talking about the kings of Numenor, who are all from Elros, a semi-elf, that's true, but all the numenoreans got a longer lifespan than a normal man in middle earth, altough it was less than the kings (something like 250 years for normal numenorean and 500+ for the kings).
>>
>>83386883
read most of this thread, there's a small army of people who watched the movies, read some of the books read a few pages of the wiki and think they understand how Tolkien works. I think the most retarded fucking thing I've read in this thread was that the Valar were afraid of the Numenorean invasion, that's some fucking head canon from someone who speed reads wiki pages because they can't be bothered to READ the fucking material.
>>
>>83386712
>>does nothing
Why are shitposters allowed to exist?
>>
>>83386978

"The population of Númenor chiefly consisted of Men of the surviving houses of the Edain, and they were known as the Númenóreans, or rather, Kings among Men. They had been increased in body and mind by Eönwë at the end of the War of Wrath, and granted a lifespan of an average 200 years, much increased from their ancestors' lifespan of 90 years. Those of the royal house descended from the first Half-elven king ,Elros Tar-Minyatur, however, were given a lifespan of more than 300 years. These included the Lords of Andúnië and the Kings and Queens of Númenor."
>>
>>83386889
Okay, so here's something you have to understand, it doesn't matter WHAT percentage elvish or human he is, Tolkien tried to make it quite fucking clear that that line, Elrond's blood-line, has the blood of man in it, no matter what percentage of your blood is man you can still make the choice to abandon your immortality and become mortal. By extension of this you also lose out on some of the features that make Elves like the Vanyar what they are.
>>
>>83386982
Maybe you should take your own advice.

> Faced by this rebellion, of appalling folly and blasphemy, and also real peril (since the Númenóreans directed by Sauron could have wrought ruin in Valinor itself) the Valar lay down their delegated power and appeal to God, and receive the power and permission to deal with the situation; the old world is broken and changed.
>>
>>83387088
what did he do?
>>
>>83386968
>? Did he not know about the etching on the side beforehand
No, he had to find that out.
>did he find something in a book about Gollum getting it at one point?
No, he interrogated Gollum.
> Was he not kicking around Middle Earth during the first war?
No.
>>
>>83387134
Minor things like bringing Gandalf back, or making Gollum fall into the lava. You know, the things that actually defeat Saruon.
>>
>>83387129
The Valar were in no way personally threatened by the Numenorean army or Sauron himself. They had the power the fuck the Numenoreans off from the start but appealed to Eru as it was HIS creation and taking up arms against HIS FREE WILL CREATION could have been blasphemy. Eru purposely created men with free will and allowed them to do as they wanted. It's stated almost bold faced to you multiple times (if you've ever fucking read the books) that the Valar are uncertain how to handle men because unlike Elves, they aren't bound to the will of the creator.
>>
>>83387126
I'm not sure what your point is. Elrond obviously didn't make the choice to become mortal and, as we can tell by the fact that he was one of the most powerful Elves (and held one of the Three), he was not lacking in power. I believe he could have overpowered Isildur had it come to that.
>>
>>83387240
>The Valar were in no way personally threatened by the Numenorean army
>real peril

I'll take what's actually written thank you.
>>
>>83387252
Elrond as a half-elf lacks the quality of some of the greatest elf warriors of the time. On top of that, yes he holds Vilya, but this has less to do with him being a great Elven Warrior and more to do with him being one of the few Elves with long standing roots in Middle Earth. Elrond doesn't even belong in a top 20 list of Elven Warriors
>>
>>83383070
Elrond's brother Elros is the progenitor of the men of Numenor
>>
>>83386880
No, but he clearly says Dwarves are similar to jews. He took inspiration from jews when creating them.

If he didn't want people to associate them as such, he wouldn't have made that connection.
>>
>>83382989
>But one could surmise that he didn't want to start a war between Elves and Men.

Yeah, there was obviously a pragmatic reason to try to throw him in and be done with the power of the Ring, but one can't just casually slay royalty. What would he have said to explain it Isildur's people to prevent a largescale human vs elves war?

The political realm is too fraught and tangled to just act rashly like that.
>>
>>83387375
He's still an Elf, and Isildur wasn't all that. He got whooped by goons on the regular. Elrond would have shat on him.
>>
>>83387353
The real peril suggests that if the people of Numenor landed, without direct and immediate intervention, Valinor could be desecrated. This doesn't mean that the entire island would be burned or even that a few elves might be killed, it just has to mean that men could damage ANYTHING on the continent. The whole continent is supposed to be holy, pristine, created to be unmarked and beautiful without fault. That's the peril, that's the fear.
>>
>>83387353
Well if you'd actually read his letters, rather than one part which you probably got off a wiki or reddit or something, you'd know he also wrote (and this post dates your quote before you complain):

The Valar had no real answer to this monstrous rebellion — for the Children of God were not
under their ultimate jurisdiction: they were not allowed to destroy them, or coerce them with any
'divine' display of the powers they held over the physical world. They appealed to God; and a
catastrophic 'change of plan' occurred. At the moment that Arpharazôn set foot on the forbidden
shore, a rift appeared: Númenor foundered and was utterly overwhelmed; the armada was
swallowed up; and the Blessed Realm removed for ever from the circles of the physical world.
Thereafter one could sail right round the world and never find it.
>>
>>83387504
>He's still an Elf

And despite his human heritage, he's the only Elf (to my knowledge aside from his immediate family) who is a descendant of an Ainur.
>>
>>83387353
kek, you're what's wrong with Lord of the Rings. You have these fucking power levels in your heads and ideas that men can slay gods and angels. Man was never a threat to the Valar, the Valar feared harming one of Eru's creations as NO Valar save Melkor had ever dreamed of doing so. They laid down their power and humbled themselves before Eru to show they meant his creations no ill will, but the situation needed to be handled in someway else the perfect heaven that was the west could be harmed.
>>
>>83387353
>Hey dude, this army of puny little shits is going to invade us by the sea. We have the power to sink their entire fleet instantly and if we combine our powers together we can even remove them from existence entirely
>but we're in real peril!

Get off the fucking Wiki or stop going onto fucking IGN to try and find fucking answers to how things work in Tolkien fantasy you pasty nerd.
>>
>>83386968
>Why did Gandalf have to spend years researching whether the Ring was the One Ring?
Because he didn't know how to prove if Bolbi's ring was the One Ring.
>What would he have found out that he wouldn't have already known?
Shit like the Ring's inscription and how to make it appear on the Ring.
>Did he not know about the etching on the side beforehand, did he find something in a book about Gollum getting it at one point?
No, and no.
>Isn't he demigod who has been around for hundreds of years? How does he not know all this already? Was he not kicking around Middle Earth during the first war?
The wizards arrived to Middle Earth 1000 years after Sauron's downfall, when the Ring had already been lost for centuries.
>>
>>83385385
to drop just it
>>
>>83386968
Gandalf is not a demi-god, he's at best an immortal who has access to whatever power the Valar and by extension, Eru decide to give him at whatever time. That being said, he is forbidden from using these powers to coerce men and elves, to subjugate or even really protect them. He's a guide, all of the Wizards are supposed to be guides to help people from making terrible decisions over and over again. The Wizards aren't tomes of knowledge with legs, they're more comparable to a type of immortal man than anything. There are Elves that were considered wiser than both Saruman and Gandalf.
>>
>>83387924

Pretty much this.

The only reason Saruman was the leading authority on Ring lore on Middle Earth was because he actually had to go learn and investigate just like everyone else would've.
>>
>humans are no threat to a Valar
>Isildur destroys Sauron body
>that wormguy kills Saruman

????????
>>
>>83388226
Neither Sauron nor Saruman are Valar.
>>
>>83388226
>Either of those being Valar

Kys retard
>>
>>83388279
>calling people retards for not knowing the lore of a children's book
>>
>>83388342
Why are you here
>>
>>83388226
>humans are no threat to a valar
>Isildur destroys the body of a non-valar
>that wormguy kills a non-valar

really makes me joggle the ol' noggin
>>
>>83387397
>No, but he clearly says Dwarves are similar to jews.
No, he didn't. You keep reading that. Probably because you faggots are constantly obsessed by anything even remotely Jewish.
>If he didn't want people to associate them as such, he wouldn't have made that connection.
Which he barely did you illiterate piece of shit.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (19KB, 409x393px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
19KB, 409x393px
>>83382950
kek saved
>>
>>83382760
Isildur would have beat the absolute shit out of him if he tried.

The man takes on eldritch abominations in hand to hand and curses whole armies to death.
>>
>>83389418
>Isildur could 1v1 Elrond
LOL okay.
>>
>>83389446
Empowered by the ring, yeah.
>>
i have a bigger dick than gandalf or legolas
>>
>>83387504
>He got whooped by goons on the regular
That was because the ring led him to his death.
>>
>>83389512
>w-w-well, if he-h-he had the supa dupa mega weapon he totes could beat him up!
No shit.
>>
>>83390217
>silly
>>
File: 1447124880477.jpg (13KB, 512x397px) Image search: [Google]
1447124880477.jpg
13KB, 512x397px
>>83383070
Fucking LOTR casual
>>
>>83389512
the ring only makes you invisible
>>
>>83385222
Wasn't measly, he was outnumbered like 10 or 20 to 1. The movie doesn't represent it in the best way.
>>
>>83390756
nice meme.
>>
>>83382760
Lore explanation
Elrond didn't go into Mt Doom with Isildur. Sauron was defeated at the siege of Barad Dur, and when Isildur claimed the ring they were far away from Mt Doom. It's likely he didn't even know that was where he had to destroy it. The men and elves were recovering from the entire war and losing many of their leaders, everyone wanted to just go home.

I guess you could explain what happened in the movie by saying killing Isildur would have caused Elrond to fall to Saurons influence. Elrond might not have even been able to kill Isildur. Even if he did; there is a huge army of men outside that wouldn't take kindly to the last member of theit royal line being murdered and a war between men and elves wouldn't end well for the elves.
>>
>>83391222
>don't you dare use the movie logic in this scene that is only in the movie
show me a single instance of the ring doing anything else, even Isildur just turns invisible when he puts it on later on
>>
>>83391270
They say what it does in the movie. Maybe watch it.
>>
>>83391337
except what they say contradicts what they show
why did Isildur turn invisible and nothing more?
>>
>>83391270
Except for the part where it straight up brainwashes you even if you're not holding it (see Boromir).
>>
>>83391385
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
Did gandalf actually die when he fought the Balrog? Did God bring him back to life?
>>
Did everyone know the ring was a big, bad deal? Didn't sauron create it? Wasn't he the only one to have had it up until isildur took it? It seems like the ring should only have gotten a bad rap after the first few owners went crazy.
>>
Tolkien was know for his shit writing
>>
>>83383658
The other anon's post is divided into two parts.
The first part is in answer to the anon he quotes, saying he's a retard.
The second part is in answer to the OPs question, an answer which is nearly identical, though a bit longer, to the anon below him.

Every single day I'm amazed at how you all manage to be dumber than the day before.
>>
>>83383506
The movie is just a cinematic representation of the motives of the characters of the books
>>
what is this meme here that I keep seeing >>83385355
>>
>>83393787
4chan's obsession with all things reddit taking on a new form, despite fucking paragraphs existing for longer than probably the entirety of Reddit's userbase put together.
>>
>>83382760
it would have definitely started a war between the elves and men right after tons of elves died in the fighting

in the books, Isildur never goes into the mountain
>>
File: 1474408726085.jpg (65KB, 365x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474408726085.jpg
65KB, 365x500px
>>83382950
this is bretty gud
>>
it's tom bombandil's fault.
>>
why didn't gandalf just get some badass elf warrior to take the ring to mordor?
>>
Is it worth reading the books if I've already seen the movies? How am I supposed to get the image of all the actors and scenes out of my head?
>>
>>83396757
>Is it worth reading the books if I've already seen the movies?
Yes.
>How am I supposed to get the image of all the actors and scenes out of my head?
This is why you read the books first, dummy.
>>
>>83383151
>Numenor
>Doing anything but taking a minor Maia's dick up the ass

Nigger they didn't even leave the harbor before Anu smashed them into the sea
>>
>>83383033
Couldn't Elrond do flips and surf on rocks or something, though?
>>
File: ctf.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ctf.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
>>83382760
Going just off the movie, in all likelihood, Elrond didn't believe he had the strength to resist the ring's power and relied on Isildur to be able to do it.
>>
>>83396757
Nigga are you really asking how to use your imagination?
>>
>>83397085
Bingo.

He says "the strength of men failed", but what about the elves?
>>
>>83383640
Underrated post
>>
>Isildur!
>...
>...
>And you OTHER ring!
>>
>>83382760
Fucking fantasy shit. Stick it up your retarded, degenerated fag ass.
>>
>>83383688
You okay there, sport?
>>
File: IMG_8474.jpg (107KB, 405x390px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8474.jpg
107KB, 405x390px
>>83382950
DELET
>>
>>83382950
I'm sure this has been circulating for years and I'm late to the party but this is fucking gold.
>>
>>83386982
I don't see how someone could read that they bent the laws of physics to remove their whole continent from the rest of the world and then think that they were actually in fear of a bunch of guys who lived a long time and were stronger than most humans.
>>
>the ring enhances the power of whoever wears it. for example, if a hobbit wears it he becomes invisible because hobbits are small and good at avoiding detection

Why did Isildur become invisible at Gladden Fields?
>>
>>83396757
Why do you need to get the image out of your head? Most portrayals are reasonably accurate, and there's nothing I can think of that would be a huge problem just because it looks a little different.
>>
>>83404095
>the ring enhances the power of whoever wears it. for example, if a hobbit wears it he becomes invisible because hobbits are small and good at avoiding detection
Where are you getting this from?
>>
>>83404196
People that always post it in lotr threads
>>
>>83404266
Doesn't make it true.
Thread posts: 213
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.