[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>take a horror film set in a contained, claustrophobic location

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: rip.jpg (404KB, 999x1500px) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
404KB, 999x1500px
>take a horror film set in a contained, claustrophobic location
>follow it up with an action horror movie on a much larger scale and with new elements that are arguably gimmicky (ex. queen)
>totally different tone, but in an incredible twist, still a really good movie and a strangely worthy sequel

this is the problem with the alien franchise: it can't "go back" all the way to the minimalism that made the original so great, but this means that there's an expectation that they will be ratcheting things up with every new film, following in Cameron's example.

as a result, we have stupid popcorn movies, but they're still trying to keep the intelligent core of the original. we get new tricks but it's the same old formula, every time on a larger scale (ex. David genociding a whole fuckin' planet).

>tl;dr BRAVO CAMERON!
>>
Who the fuck is that little girl? She looks nothing like newt.
>>
>>83257891
I always thought the person on the cover was some random man
>>
>>83258041
kek
>>
>>83257514

Therefore, wouldn't the right course of action be to just not make more Alien films? They made a great horror film and followed it up with a great action film. Are there any more Alien stories that really need telling?

>Inb4 Alien romcom
>>
>>83258614

She's a businesswoman whose biological clock is ticking.

It's a vile alien rapemachine, looking for nothing more than a fling with someone's face.

This summer, Meg Ryan stars in Face? Hug her!
>>
>>83258614
that's what i'm kinda getting at nigga, i haven't see a3 but i'm convinced that if they had done that right, it would've been a satisfying conclusion.

also, why is it that we seek trilogies instead of series of 2?
>>
>>83258614
Maybe an Alien themed slapstick comedy?
oh wait they already did Alien Resurrection
>>
>>83258714
>why is it that we seek trilogies instead of series of 2?
For the same reason that most movies are made with 3 acts.

Also, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>>
>>83258614
Covenant had a lot of potential to follow up on the engineers and make an interesting movie about that, but people memed Prometheus to death so all we'll ever get are variations on the theme of people in space getting killed by xenomorphs
>>
>>83258898

I legitimately liked Prometheus. I realize I am the only one who did. :(

>>83258714

Well let's put on our thinking caps instead of sitting here complaining. What made both films good?

I posit:

Alien: Claustrophobic environment, STRONG themes of rape/unwanted pregnancy

Aliens: Claustrophobic again, strong themes of motherhood, contrasted with irresponsible machismo

Perhaps I'm a hurrdurr feminist here, but it seems that what really makes Alien films tick is
A) an environment where mankind shouldn't be (Space, bottom of the ocean, planet being terraformed)

and B) Issues that are very sensitive to women, presented through a Sci Fi lens.

For the sake of discussion, what does it mean to be a daughter, and how can we present that through the Alien lens?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.