[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does the ending quote "We are still in the desert"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

What does the ending quote "We are still in the desert" mean?

They can't forget the time they served because it was really fun and thrilling or really awful? How do you interpret it?

I think it's both at the same time
>>
i dont know where do you get 'really fun and thrilling' from. but really good movie, watched it almost 10 years ago and is still stuck in my head.
>>
>>83221257
I like weapons and military stuff I'm thinking of enlisting soon, it's fun in it's own way.
>>
>>83221318
i honestly think you should just join some militia club and shoot watermelons on weekends, would do you more good.
>>
>>83221343
There's no thrill in that mate I want the real thing
>>
>>83221434
well go for it then i guess
i personally never even held a gun in my life, so dont really listen to my opinion. But i dont get how someone would want to join military after watching Jarhead lol
>>
>>83221495
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs62Vl-dRfE

This scene did it for me, war is an unique feeling and there's nothing like it.

you may watch the hurt locker it was better at explaining it.
>>
Jarhead 2 was way better
>>
>>83222013
fuck you
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (115KB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
115KB, 1280x721px
>>83221203
>What does the ending quote "We are still in the desert" mean?

People in the military get addicted to having the literal power of being able kill others on a whim, so much so that when they come back they find it very hard to integrate as they see themselves as sort of demi-gods above others. It's been a widely studied phenomenom and society low key tries to deny it but deep down people know which is why vets have a really hard time finding jobs and why people have problems with letting them back in. Basic doesn't help either as, at least in infantry schools, stimulates and applauds murderous aggression in its students because that's what they were designed to do.

Remember rocky's breakdown in first blood? How he was trusted with million dollar equipment but back here he can't even get a job parking cars? That was basically a pg version of what I'm talking about.

As the saying goes, once a murderer always a murderer.
>>
>>83222081
That was the reply I was looking for.

Did you serve yourself? Have any advice?
>>
>>83221634
what about the part where you lose your mind to the violence and your wife cucks you?
>>
>>83221203
Partially a PTSD thing where their mentality and personality were forged by their time there and they'll never really be able to shake that. And also a more literal American forces are still in that region, some would say for the same or similar reasons. The world hasn't changed and they haven't changed.
>>
>>83221318
goto /k/, find a thread with some vets in it and tell them you are thinking of enlisting becuse it looks fun
>>
>>83221434
>>83221318
Go slay that dragon, retard.
>>
>>83223432
>ptsd
>in the Iraq war
You've got to be a special kind of faggot to get ptsd sitting in an airconned tent eating ice cream and playing ps3 all day, only nam boys can are allowed to say they have that
>>
>>83221203
>What does the ending quote "We are still in the desert" mean?
This came out when I was in the Marines deployed to Iraq. Do you get it now?
>>
>>83223580
Why bother talking about things you don't understand? TMI and PTSD are fight in Afghanistan Iraq veterans.

You can thank ambushes and IEDs for that.
>>
>>83223580
Maybe "PTSD" is the wrong term, I just meant that the events they experienced at that time changed them in a way they can't return from.
>>
File: in.the.US.military.png (384KB, 1369x1906px) Image search: [Google]
in.the.US.military.png
384KB, 1369x1906px
>>83221318
>>
>>83222081
>People in the military get addicted to having the literal power of being able kill others on a whim

WRONG!

People in the military love it simply because of the pure brotherhood of it. Its something that doesn't exist anywhere else anymore except for in war. And its not something as fleeting as friendship, they may in fact hate each other, but its the sense that someone has your back and you have theirs. Then they have to come back to the neoliberal nightmare of modern western society where something like that not only doesnt exist, but is ridiculed.
>>
>>83221203
>I think it's both at the same time
Mee too. they were shaped into the perfect form for the purpose, forced to reach some sort of the peak quite early and then left behind, desert creatures slightly lost in their hometowns.
>>
>>83222081
But they didn't kill anyone
>>
>>83221203
It was a powerful experience and you can't escape the memory of it.
>>
>>83223720
That's why friendly fire happens so often lol shutup
>>
>>83223720
>>83223858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yufzbEWa9TQ

They were pretty fucked up.
>>
File: women-carry-600x400.jpg (49KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
women-carry-600x400.jpg
49KB, 600x400px
>>83223720
>military
>brotherhood

Sorry, drumpfkin, the military is a woman's game now :)
>>
>>83224041

friendly fire is an accident dumbass. You clearly know dick about PTSD because what Im saying is what everyone in that field is saying.
>>
>>83223720
>Its something that doesn't exist anywhere else anymore except for in war.

Just like how acceptable and welcome it is to murder your enemies(within certain parameters ofc). War is great for reliving primal instincts and it's what leads to these vets who cannot reintegrate.
>>
>>83224149
No shit it's labeled as a fucking accident moron you don't even realize who you're talking to and calling me a dipshit that knows nothing go fuck yourself you brainless twat. You obviously have no friends if you think brotherhood and loyalty is laughed at.
>>
>>83224216

t. 16 year old who thinks hes wise because he regurgitates bill hicks jokes
>>
>>83224313
Not an argument bro. It's literally truth. I'm not knocking vets or the institution or the killings themselves. At the base level killing is done for survival but society controls it by making it a crime and I'm saying that vets that get a taste get a world view that most people will never understand that isn't easy to come to terms with.
>>
People call Jarhead an anti war film yet it still makes dumbasses like OP want to enlist. Is there such a thing as an anti war film?
>>
>>83221203
I don't understand how this isn't one of the biggest war kino classics.
>>
>>83224380
>It's literally truth.

no it isnt. you are parroting tired old and debunked memes from a basic bitch leftist world view.
>>
>>83224413
>Is there such a thing as an anti war film?

Anything having to do with the civil war. Americans feel anything when it's against themselves.
>>
>>83224413
>. Is there such a thing as an anti war film?

The only ones I can actually think of are Apocalypse Now and Come and See. Everything else is a "fun" action movie that glorifies war, but they just shoehorn in some bullshit about "war is bad" to make it seem like its not.
>>
>>83224443
>you are parroting tired old and debunked memes

Meanwhile you're frothing at the mouth about brotherhood, neoliberalism, and such. Look, you obviuosly have some skin in the game whether it's a mistaken view about the military or because you yourself wants to join up.
>>
>>83224571
>Meanwhile you're frothing at the mouth

projection. You dont know what you are talking about and are repeating Bill Hicks jokes and think doing so makes you smart.
>>
>>83224413
In the since that it discourages nearly 100% of the people watching from wanting to take part in it, no. Fuck the actual World Wars were supposed to discourage people from going to war. Nothing works like that, I guess. There's always a few people that can look past a field of thorns and see the couple of roses and say 'WORTH IT'.
>>
>>83224615
>you're projecting
No, I'm assuming. Whatever though man, stay delusional.
>>
>>83224413
American Sniper
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.