[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I missed the Alien: Covenant threads. Why did /tv/ think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 96512348.jpg (44KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
96512348.jpg
44KB, 960x640px
I missed the Alien: Covenant threads.
Why did /tv/ think of the movie?
>>
>>83202173
polarizing
>>
>>83202173
I wasn't in any of those threads but I enjoyed it. But I also enjoyed Prometheus and I hear some people didn't. That said, it suffers from the usual "horror" movie pitfalls and logical gaps which there isn't much of an excuse for this late into movie making.

Also I'm not sure how to explain this but it sort of felt like what a DLC would feel like in movie form. More of a film that exists to be a bridge to the obvious sequel it sets up.
>>
I honestly liked the whole David creating the Xenomorphs plot line
>>
I honestly loved it and like the plot line of David basically cross breeding the Xenomorphs we know today.
>>
>>83202677
Same, wish they showed some of them actually on screen and what he did to Shaw. That would of been interesting.
>>
>>83202173
>I missed the Alien: Covenant threads.
I just saw one
Check the catalog and the archives
>>
>>83202720
Ridley basically left everything up to speculation. It'd be great if he ties the next movie with Alien (1979) but I could just infer on my own how the derelict ship crashed on that planet.
>>
I didn't hate Covenant. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

I think the problem with it is that the production value is so high that you expect the storyline to be equally tight and plotholes minimal. If they made a cheap Alien slasher film for $10 mil with no-name actors, people wouldn't give a shit if it made no sense. Tits and aliens, who gives a fuck if it was the Engineers homeworld or not.
>>
>>83202173
improvement over prometheus but still retarded in so many levels, but also contains shoved in fan service xenos which is not good in this scenario because according to the novel it retcons itself with the whole david making xenos and shit
>>
I loved it but the predictable twist somehow blindsided me so I'm probably the exception.
>>
I like David, but film lacks tension except for the first backburster scene.
>>
>>83202173
It felt like a really shitty script that was directed very well. Scott and all the actors brought their A-game but the story was nonsense
>>
I really liked it. There was a fair amount of tension from the hard scifi in the beginning, then monster movie shenanigans wrapped in anime-esque philosophizing about the creator/created relationship.

I liked Prometheus, but Covenant was a way more enjoyable experience.
>>
File: amd-waterston-jpg.jpg (104KB, 750x1041px) Image search: [Google]
amd-waterston-jpg.jpg
104KB, 750x1041px
Ridley is a waifu connosieur.
>>
File: DSC01625.jpg (237KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01625.jpg
237KB, 1600x1200px
>>83202173

technically superior
thematically dumb as ass

the movie's progression hinges on the planetary explorers making the stupidest decisions possible

just like prosmegmatus
>>
https://youtu.be/EkXgRlRao5I
https://youtu.be/XeMVrnYNwus

some prequels if you wanted more james franco and walter
>>
Mediocre horror film, at least prometheus had some mystery going for it.
>>
File: 1494863830297.png (253KB, 449x496px) Image search: [Google]
1494863830297.png
253KB, 449x496px
>Let's put all the characterization in a YouTube video, LMFAO!
>Let's kill off Shaw and the Engineers and make Prometheus's ending almost entirely pointless, LMFAO!
>Let's introduce the Neomorph and do absolutely nothing with it, LMFAO!
>Let's make the entire Alien franchise about killer robots instead of the Xenomorphs, LMFAO!

Ridley Scott should take a note or two from his brother and end it all.
>>
it was alright wish it had more xeno's and a less predictable "twist". also i loved the babby aliens they freaked me the fuck out
>>
>>83203330
>Let's put all the characterization in a YouTube video, LMFAO!
That was a dumb move, yes, but do you really go see an alien movie for the characters?
>Let's kill off Shaw and the Engineers and make Prometheus's ending almost entirely pointless, LMFAO!
I wish Shaw lived as well but killing the Engineers was justifiable, they created a us, not a lot to brag about.
>Let's introduce the Neomorph and do absolutely nothing with it, LMFAO!
Neomorph wasn't that cool really, it was white canvas and looked bland compared to the Xenomorph
>Let's make the entire Alien franchise about killer robots instead of the Xenomorphs, LMFAO!
one android = killer robots. You learned about where the Xeno's came from, the whole last half of the movie was about the Xeno's
>>
>>83202173
- Got more confusing
- Wanna hump the chick
- Young Magneto did very well

That's pretty much it.
>>
>>83203330
The movie would have been better if it focused more on the robots instead of the aliens. That was the only interesting part
>>
>>83203490
>That was a dumb move, yes, but do you really go see an alien movie for the characters?

If the audience doesn't give a shit about any of the characters, that is a problem with the movie. People bitched about there being gay people on a colonization mission, but there was almost no way of knowing there were gay people at all from viewing the movie. And then there was James Franco, who died before uttering a single line. Why was he even in the movie if he didn't even get to say anything? It wasn't even a shock to the audience, since he dies before we even know who he is.

>I wish Shaw lived as well but killing the Engineers was justifiable, they created a us, not a lot to brag about.

They were the most interesting thing about Prometheus, and it was teased that they would be explored more. Nothing ever happened, though.

>Neomorph wasn't that cool really, it was white canvas and looked bland compared to the Xenomorph

Which is only supporting my point that it served no purpose in the film. Either go with the Neomorph, go with the Xenomorph, or make an interesting combination of the two. The movie did none of that.

>one android = killer robots. You learned about where the Xeno's came from, the whole last half of the movie was about the Xeno's

The last half of the movie was about David's supervillain machinations. The ending of the movie was about how David was going to experiment on the colonists with his creation. To claim the movie the last half of the movie was about the Xenomorphs is ludicrous. They only exist to further David's plan. David is in control. David makes the plot. The series is now about David.
>>
>>83203490
> That was a dumb move, yes, but do you really go see an alien movie for the characters?

Actually, character development is extremely important, it's one of the most important things in a film. If you don't care or like the characters why watch? So yeah, I do go to every film with characters hoping for a character I like or that is interesting in some way to appear.

> I wish Shaw lived as well but killing the Engineers was justifiable, they created a us, not a lot to brag about.

The question isn't whether it is moral or logical, but whether this is what we wanted to see or not. Prometheus spent the whole film building up to this idea that we would see an alien civilization of some kind and in the end we just got David bombing everyone and a bunch of stone structures that were less impressive than what was shown in Prometheus. That kind of sucks. I was hoping for something more like an HR Giger-style bio-mechanical planet sort of like nes Metroid.

> Neomorph wasn't that cool really, it was white canvas and looked bland compared to the Xenomorph

I disagree. We've seen the alien for almost forty years now. It's not going to scare or surprise us. This is why none of the scenes with it were even slightly scary. The Neomorph was a little scary because we have no idea what it is or how it attacks.

> one android = killer robots. You learned about where the Xeno's came from, the whole last half of the movie was about the Xeno's

Nobody gives a shit where the Xenomorphs come from. I have no idea why everyone is so obsessed with this one alien. I'm more interested in learning about the Engineers and the black goo, what their plans were for us, why they made us, etc. Now it's all about David. David is just a robot made by Weyland. I don't really care about a robot. They are only doing this because everyone likes Fassbender and the Alien. It's retarded af.
>>
>>83203888
I think I have a /tv/ doppleganger.
>>
>>83203835
>If the audience doesn't give a shit about any of the characters, that is a problem with the movie. People bitched about there being gay people on a colonization mission, but there was almost no way of knowing there were gay people at all from viewing the movie. And then there was James Franco, who died before uttering a single line. Why was he even in the movie if he didn't even get to say anything? It wasn't even a shock to the audience, since he dies before we even know who he is.

Character development is great for movies but for thriller/horror movies? The only character to really make it through the alien franchise is Ripley and that's only because she manages to survive throughout all those movies. Going to an alien movie and then crying over a character dying and complaining that they didn't get enough screen time is your problem. I couldn't give two fucks if any of the characters live or died.

>They were the most interesting thing about Prometheus, and it was teased that they would be explored more. Nothing ever happened, though.

The only thing needed to be answered was why they made us and why they wanted to destroy us but those questions are really up for interpretation. They probably made us the same reason we made androids like david (which the idea of that was mentioned in covanent) to make our living easier. They probably wanted to kill us because they saw what we've done for centuries and decided we didn't deserve to live.

>Which is only supporting my point that it served no purpose in the film. Either go with the Neomorph, go with the Xenomorph, or make an interesting combination of the two. The movie did none of that.

The neomorph was just a cross breeding of the airborne pathogen and a human, it wasn't mean't to be another type of alien in the series really. yeah it would've been cool to save the Xenomorph for a 3rd movie but then the franchise would just become another franchise.
>>
>>83203835
As for the ending, David is just the "father" of the Xenomorph, no one said that David is hijacking the whole show. He was shown a lot because what he did is pretty important. Everything you said about the ending involved the Xeno's, don't see how the ending isn't about them
>>
File: 1476476983057.jpg (25KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1476476983057.jpg
25KB, 400x300px
>>83202173
I've never seen any Alien film, but there's nothing else good in the theatre right now. Should I watch this tomorrow night?
>>
File: 1326483324964.gif (448KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1326483324964.gif
448KB, 500x280px
>>83204827
If you're bored enough, and got the cash to burn.
It wasn't a terrible movie, but I really didn't like it. A lot of dumb shit happens that makes you scratch your head, and the pacing feels really off.
Also, I didn't care about any of the characters, or what happened to them, so I felt even more apathy towards this movie when the 'good shit' started happening.
This shit was a mess.
>>
We find out that a gay robot made the weird organism that's one giant metaphor for rape, thus making a unique and interesting creature somehow even more boring and conventional than Cameron "DUDE ANTS LMAO". The CGI was laughable and the characters full retard. I think people are just giving it slack because it's the first mainline Alien movie since Resurrection. Well-shot, though, I'll admit that. Ridley is a great director and horrible at everything else.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.