[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this one of those few movies where "they just don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

I'm not gonna sit here and say it's a great movie, but there are a lot of elements to it that are genuinely hard to understand for a normal audience. I feel like it wants you to infer some things that a lot of people wouldn't?

For example, David's conversation with Shaw's douchey boyfriend about creation being the true answer to the Why did they make us question. They created humans because they could. There's no woo woo bullshit magic behind it. They, just like Weyland, wanted to play god.
>>
A movie asking interesting questions doesn't excuse it's flaws. Prometheus isn't a bad movie, but it's very far up its own ass.
>>
>>83185013
Op here. I agree. It definitely goes all in, and that isn't a benefit at times.
>>
overall good movie with a LOT of unforgivably stupid details thrown in as nods to other dumb shit in the franchise or as shoddy plot deviceIs.

"They just don't get it" is definitely the case when it comes to a lot of but it's because everyone was so distracted/annoyed by all the dumb shit that they didn't bother thinking any more of the film.

>young man in oldman makeup
>NO SUITS REEEE
>biologist wants to pet the alien snake
>"FATHER"
>Running straight ahead as the narrow ship rolls after you

all very distracting
>>
I hate Noomi but i want to inside still

What do?
>>
I have a degree in English Lit and even I admit Prometheus is too profound at times.
>>
>hey, let's go find our creators
>(lots of dicking around and shit)
>excuse me mr alium, why did you create us?
>RAAAAAR I'm mad at you humans!
>oh btw my robot wants to create life cause he's smart

What's deep about this movie?
>>
File: tarkovsky-solaris-full-movie.jpg (163KB, 794x1125px) Image search: [Google]
tarkovsky-solaris-full-movie.jpg
163KB, 794x1125px
>>83185013
>tries to be heady
>does that with awful writing, characters, and by abandoning everything to do a cliche slasher story

Prometheus apologists are becoming increasingly more obnoxious since Covenant.
>>
>>83186323
Fap?
>>
>>83186422
What's deep about the movie is that it touches upon creation and creators.

The opening scene is deep beyond imagination and likely flew over the broad majority of people's heads.

You could spend hours just talking about the opening scene. Given how little people reflect on this and aspects of the movie leads me to believe there is something deeply inaccessible about it to many.

How they came to find the records and tie them in across civilizations is deep and is present in real life artifacts. Those referenced artifacts are actually real....

The lines like :
"there is nothing in the desert. No man needs nothing."

The exchange ...

Prometheus was a small dose red-pill that aimed to test the waters of the audience... Half red/Half blue. It was an attempt to see whether people wanted a full red-pill or wanted to revert back to a blue pill. The reception spoke to wanting a blue-pill and that's what Ridley gave in the follow up.

Few people were deeply moved by Prometheus...
The lion's share made silly jokes like your comment and then asked :
> What's deep about this movie?

If you have to ask, that means it wasn't meant for you. Even the meaning of covenant flew over people's heads...

O'well man.
>>
>>83184884
Yes.

The engineer killed weyland because he missed the point. The engineer race were Nietzscheans who "went under" to " go over"

Humans were supposed to do the same but instead created artificial life, essentially throwing the engineers gift of shared biology in the trash

I don't blame him for being pissed
>>
>>83184884
no
its shit
stop trying to pretend Prometheus was any good
>>
>>83186672
Huh, really tickles by neuro-receptors
>>
I just finished watching prometheus and I can honestly say it could have used more aliens and less interracial sex and abortion propaganda.
>>
>>83186923
fuck you it is aesthetically pleasing as fuck and has themes I enjoy
>>
>>83187301
>99% of the movie is a grey ugly planet
>aesthetically pleasing

Vulcanos, leave.
>>
>>83187301
enjoy your shit taste and keep sucking Ridley's cock, guy who didn't really understood what Alien was about, really
>>
File: dumb bitch.png (248KB, 449x500px) Image search: [Google]
dumb bitch.png
248KB, 449x500px
>>83187326
>>
>>83187433
>implying I liked Prometheus because of any connection to Alien
>Saying the film is aesthetically pleasing is sucking Ridley's cock
what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
This never gets said, but I will. After Exodus and these alien prequels, it's easy to see that Ridley Scott is a typical liberal idiot who doesn't understand religion and tries to virtue his intellectual side by trying to explore these ideas. Instead of a good exploration, we get hit by a ton of ignorance on the level of a supreme autist trying to comprehend something not his forte. Things he asks, how he asks and depicts men who believe is unsettling - has he never had a shred of belief in his being? How can he be this unfamiliar with something he's supposed to explore? It really frames him as a dumb cunt.

Prometheus had great visuals and I'd rewatch it maybe one day because of that. But an exploration of anything? Please, don't try to meme me. Only thing he's exploring is his own ass and how much street cred can he get in Hollyjew.
>>
>>83187700
Hmm, never thought about it like this.
You have a point. However, what shines through shines through IMO. Even if its bumbling, the fragments got through. I don't say this to give him more credit than he's do. I say it to say that you don't get such expositions in sci-fi as of late.

We could use more sci-fi indies like : Ex-machina ... We could use fresh new directors/plots and stories that go in depth. However, how many brainlets would appreciate it and/or back it with their $$$?

Prometheus came out and had mere fragments of red pills and look how brainlets responded ... OMG, it went over my head .. wtf was that about??!?!?!? So, what can you do as a director who needs to make $$$? You get the movies you deserve.
>>
>>83188463
there hasnt been much actual scifi at all lately
>>
>>83184884
The two problems of the movie are Lindelof and that it's an alien prequel, because the concept is pretty good and horrifying : the idea of searching for your origins just to discover that you are insignificant and worthless for your creator and that they want to erase you.

But there have to be aliens and slasher tropes and guns and shit and...

Same with Covenant, same story without the xenomorph and the alien connections would be a better movie.
>>
>>83188463
Mate, substance and sci-fi in movies are an oxymoron. Only heady sci-fi comes in book form.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.