[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did they train oil drillers to be astronauts and not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

why did they train oil drillers to be astronauts and not astronauts to drill?
>>
>>83179151
how does them having sex with black women matter?
>>
>>83179151
Because unprivileged masses need protagonists they can connect to.
>>
>>83179151

Hollywood was implying it was easier to learn to be an astronaut than it was to learn how to drill...

BTFO NASA
>>
>>83179191
>Not being a red blooded blue collar white american.

Go drink a frapuccino, you urbanite faggot.
>>
>>83179216
This is not incorrect thinking.
>>
Fuck off Ben
>>
>>83179151
Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>83179216
They let women be astronauts nowadays, it obviously isn't that hard to learn how to be one.
>>
>>83179235
you are on the wrong side of history friendo
>>
>>83179151

Shut the fuck up batman
>>
>>83179151
It's a Michael Bay movie, isn't it? That would be a reason enough
>>
they were just passengers astronauts did all the astronaut shit and drilling is an art it's a science
>>
>>83179433
This. They were trained to survive in space, not to control the entire thing.
>>
>>83179373
sup reddit
>>
>>83179216
Maybe not "easier" but certainly faster.
>>
>>83179151
Just shut the fuck up Ben
>>
what you should be asking, and I'm amazed no one has suggested yet is why didn't they train the astronauts to drill your mum?
>>
>>83179151
It's simple.

It's impossible to train astronauts to become professional drilling engineers in such a limited time frame, so it makes way more sense to just put professional drilling engineers through basic space boot camp and send astronauts up with them to do all the actual astronaut shit.

Armageddon has a ton of logical inconsistencies and plot holes, but this sure as fuck isn't one of them.
>>
>>83181100
I'm sorry? How is "basic space boot camp" is easier than professional drilling?
>>
File: 1381026132366.jpg (12KB, 297x169px) Image search: [Google]
1381026132366.jpg
12KB, 297x169px
>Billy Bob Thorton is in charge of NASA
>>
>>83179151
shut the fuck up ben
>>
>>83179191
>implying petroleum engineering and oil exploration don't require huge amounts of studying.
Lmao
>>
File: space_cowboys_poster_01_lrg.jpg (235KB, 615x800px) Image search: [Google]
space_cowboys_poster_01_lrg.jpg
235KB, 615x800px
Best Space movie? Best Space movie.
>>
>>83181178
Becoming a deep sea drilling engineer requires at least 4 years of school. And canonically, Bruce Willis was the best driller on earth, so he likely had decades of experience on top of that. Training to go to space doesn't take even remotely that long.

People are chosen to be astronauts based on being useful enough to justify the cost to send them into space in the first place. Typically they're scientists, air force pilots, etc, and their current profession is the bulk of their training. This training is not actually necessary for being sent to space, though. Russia was going to send Lance Bass to space for fuck sakes.

The actual space training is just so they know how to not die in zero G. It's intensive, but not significantly so, and can probably be streamlined in case of an emergency.
>>
>>83181100
no dumbass, drilling engineers are retards with muscles for brains. The most important people in the field are the field geologist and the production engineer after you start producing oil.
>>
>>83179151
watch even 30 seconds of any interview with any astronaut ever, they are mostly idiots.
i mean the old guys that raced to the moon and shit ain't bad because all old people have a lick of common sense, but all the chumps up in iss now don't know their arse from their elbow unless theres a 200 page procedure for identification. you think they fly the ships? bullshit, they occasionally land the shuttle, even spacex is getting rid of that nonsense. its all computers. i guess there wasn't time to write down everything they need to know to drill and put it in a binder to follow as procedure.
>>
>>83181255
You're a retard
>>
>>83179151

Obviously the only sensible course of action is to take ten of the best drillers and ten of the best astronauts in the world, give each group a crash course in the other's groups speciality.

Then have them buddy up into 10 teams of two, let the astronauts worry about space travel and the drillers worry about drilling.
>>
>>83181533
Or send a team of geologists and engineers there. You don't need to care about costs or making sure that reservoirs aren't damaged. Why they would specifically need petroleum engineers is beyond me.
>>
>>83181178
They send non-NASA personal to space all the time. More when the space shuttle service was active. Biologists, teachers, physics guys.

Why not send geology engineer with years of experience?

What isn't unrealistic is how untrained and educated they make the oil drillers seem.
The guy played by Bruce Willis would have been an Master Engineer for sure, maybe even Mech and Geology master.
>>
>>83179151
They didn't train oil drillers to be astronauts. They just trained them to be glorified space passengers.

They sent real astronauts up with them to do literally everything that wasn't drilling.
>>
>>83181640
>geology
>engineer
ok.

Also if Willis developed a OC donut steel drilling apparatus he would have a masters in mechanincal engineering at the very least and needed to have a very good grasp of sedimentary basins
>>
>>83179151
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahtp0sjA5U
>>
>>83181823
>at the very least and needed to have
>muh degrees
i guess the caveman who invented fire needed to have had a degree in physical sciences?
the wright brothers must have finished high school then doctorates at least to understand enough about aerodynamics?
also countless other examples...
go fuck yourself basically, academics contribute absolutely nothing of any use, look at some of the papers they push sometime, its all garbage shit to get their numbers up.
>>
>>83179151
Because oil drilling is a much more skilled profession than astronaut
>>
I know oil drillers--none of them have any college degrees and are mostly retarded.
>>
I asked J. R. R. Tolkien why did Gandalf force the hobbits to walk on foot instead of making the eagles carry the ring to mordor, and he told me to shut the fuck up. So that was the end of that talk
>>
They basically needed some retards that an average Amerifat could identify with.
>>
File: huntsville-rockets.jpg (73KB, 752x500px) Image search: [Google]
huntsville-rockets.jpg
73KB, 752x500px
>>83179191
The space program is dixie to the core, espresso boy
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.