[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would it be easier to terraform a planet like this instead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 16

File: 1431326131063.jpg (307KB, 1202x997px) Image search: [Google]
1431326131063.jpg
307KB, 1202x997px
Why would it be easier to terraform a planet like this instead of just fixing shit on Earth?

And yeah I know the planet's habitability turned out to be bullshit, but come on. They seriously couldn't tell just by LOOKING at it?
>>
Why didn't they just build greenhouses or other quarantine buildings for crops and plants? I'm sure there's gotta be some way to survive on Earth rather than pumping trillions of dollars into space travel and a huge space station where humanity should live on.
>>
>>83050674
I think the movie stated that the crop virus was also modifying the atmosphere to make it inhospitable
>>
>>83050674

because movie logic.

>Spend Quintillions of dollars jumping through wormholes and terraforming new planets

>Spend said quintillions on using the resources and every scientist on Earth working to cure / stop the virus...

... ... up up and away!
>>
>>83050713
So rather than build domes or something with an artificial atmosphere that supports human life we should build a space station with an artificial atmosphere that supports human life and then somehow get god knows how many people there?
>>
File: interstellar-3.jpg (108KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
interstellar-3.jpg
108KB, 900x600px
why did they have to land on the water planet to see its unsuitable?
couldn't they like see the big ass waves from space? Or make a few calculation about the tidal forces on that planet?
>>
>>83050756
the woman scientist was responsible for analyzing habitability
>>
>>83050752
Because eventually the virus will infect the dome
>>
>>83050779
figures
>>
>>83050792
but not the space station?
>>
>>83050439
If the problem with the earth was widespread pollution, cleaning at a global level would be very difficult. Bioremediation is fine for anything organic that can be broken down by bacteria or other organisms, but some chemicals and heavy metals won't be handled easily - they will require widespread detailed attention. Most terraforming stuff is based on the idea of magical atmosphere converters and then the release of appropriate plants and bacteria that will propagate themselves across a planet with little need for interference. So in the world of made up science, terraforming wins.
>>
>>83050792
How does the virus not travel across the stars with them to the new planet?
>>
>>83050752
>>83050792

How do they stop the virus from coming aboard the spaceship?

With the amount of materials, humans, and vegetation needed to sustain or build such a project, the virus surely would follow if it is as persistent as implied in the movie.
>>
>>83050733
This. Same reason it's somehow easier to train oil drillers to be astronauts than to train astronauts to drill.
>>
>>83050845
the wormhole kills the virus
>>
>>83050871

lol shut the fuck up already nolan
>>
>>83050439
Who cares, the virus is just a plot device for the interstellar travel, it really doesn't matter.
If I wrote an elabore answer of how finding an another planet was really their only option that still doesn't change or affect the quality of the movie.

You fuckers are only capable of arguing about literal plot points, it's pathetic.
>>
>>83051009
Then why not leave out the virus entirely?
Just make a movie about astronauts exploring different planets
>>
>>83051009
DUDE THE PLOT DOESN'T MATTER LMAO
>>
>>83050871
the spaceshits don't even go through the wormhole
>>
>>83051028
Because with the virus premise the whole humanity is at stake, leaving out the virus means only those few nerd astronauts are at stake.
>>
File: 2504068-civ2.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2504068-civ2.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>83051028
Or make it so the earth is so overcrowded and polluted that funding for off-world colonization is in full swing.
>>
>>83051082
would be better to be honest
the movie didn't really manage to make us care for mankind
to me it felt that the virus only existed to give the protagonist and excuse to leave his daughter behind
>>
>>83051009
Stop making excuses for lazy writing.
>>
Why not just something that can't be prevented by building a bunch of quarantine greenhouses. Like the ozone layer depleting or something like that.
>>
>>83050989
Look at you, making up some sort of wormhole-surviving virus
>>
>can build flying vessel that can fly in space as well as in atmosphere and that can get from surface to space with no booster rockets
>can't genetically modify plants to be resistant against virus

Seriously that small spaceship was a fucking joke. It flew around like spaceships do in Star Wars.
>>
>>83051228
The gopro like mounted IMAX shots on the ship were sick though
>>
>>83051228
>need Saturn 5 rocket to escape Earth's atmosphere
>Rangers can fly out of water planet no problem even though it's 130% Earth gravity
>>
>>83051009
This.
The movie explained it, the Earth is gone, that mean they tried everything they could.
But no, here we're arguing "they should have tried harder" with better scientists or others hypothetical things, the plot point is "they tried their hardest already" and because isn't a film about scientists trying to save earth, all you need to know is "the planet is beyond saving".
Instead of taking the canon, you take the path of "what if ?" and speculate on that.
We have even people here asking about "a bunch of quarantine greenhouses or domes" like they knew what the scientist tried or not.

No film would be done if you need a 40 hours manifesto about how they fought the plague, just because you can't take "We tried everything and it didn't work" as a baseline.
>>
>>83051427
if they saved mankind in the end by building a space station, why not just build the same space station in on the earth?
>>
>>83050439
>Dr Mann tries to kill Cooper and almost dooms humanity
Kino
>>
>>83051427
see>>83050845 which is a valid point

The script should be able to stand up to this sort of criticism more easily. Instead it falls apart and you have to resort to explaining away bad writing as "plot devices".

Bullshit. They should have written a better script.
>>
>>83051397
it's called being fuel efficient you mongoloid

they said multiple times that NASA funds are cut
>>
>>83051558
what the fuck? are you being retarded or am I?
>>
>>83051528
Controlling the atmosphere of a closed space >>>>>Controlling the atmosphere of the entire Earth.
You know ? we can make a room sterile, but we can't make the earth sterile.
>>
>>83051674
So the closed, sealed spaces in the lab where we see plants withering away were more difficult to control than a spaceship?
>>
>>83051674
then why not create closed space on earth?
sounds easier to me than to create closed space in orbit around saturn
>>
File: Interstellar_lander.jpg (174KB, 1904x1196px) Image search: [Google]
Interstellar_lander.jpg
174KB, 1904x1196px
>>83051558
More on this subject. Why do they need a Saturn 5 when this flying brick can effortlessly make it's way into orbit?
>>
>>83051699
>>83051706
Of course it's more difficult, imagine, you create a closed space in space with nothing outside to expose the inside (you can go out and repair without carrying the blight with you when you go back ) vs you create a closed space in Earth, outside you have The Blight, people have to still go outside to fix the closed space from time to time, human errors, people with some dirt on their shoes,many protocol of decontamination and one mistake and it's over etc....
>>
>>83051663
Pretty sure it's you.
>build the new Ranger that doesn't fly with old conventional fuel
>use old conventional fuel and launch process that get's dumped behind them so they have as much as possible fuel for the Ranger

They don't "need" the Saturn 5 rocket to espace Earth atmosphere, but it's convenient and efficient to use it for the first transportation to the space station.
>>
>>83051923
When did they say anything about "old conventional fuel"? Did you just pull that out of your ass?
>>
>>83051903
but that's the same for space station
you only need one person from earth to bring the blight abroad and its over
>>
>assuming they didnt try spending unknown amount of time and money chasing the cure for a virus
i'm sure they tried
>have the tech and models for sufficient space travel to find a new habitable planet in order to start a colony
why wouldnt they try to colonize other planets when they have this shit?

not sure theres a problem to be found here
>>
>>83051962
And ? you only need to follow the procedure of decontamination one time.
You can even do it many time in space until you are 100% sure, no other source of contamination, on Earth the blight can comeback because you bring in new strains each time you go out.
>>
>>83051954
It's a fair implication. But even if it uses the same fuel, using the old Saturn 5 as the first launch would still be a logical decision if you don't have a shitload of money.
Also I'm pretty sure the Saturn 5 can lift far more mass and materials to the space stations compared to any of those small spaceships.

It's same like when rich people need to move their car to a distant place they will rather put it on a truck than to drive it because paying the truck driver is much cheaper than actually driving the Lambo there.
>>
>>83052035
>on Earth the blight can comeback because you bring in new strains each time you go out.

Now we know you are trolling.
>>
>>83052035
so we agree that contamination can happen both on earth or in space when you dont follow protocol?
we also agree that building that habitat in space is much more expensive then on earth?

Then i see no reason for the space station to be honest
>>
This movie was so dumb.

Especially considering it was supposed to be "muh super researched science movie."

They should have spent less time researching and mkaing sure it was all 100% scientifically accurate and more time writing a screenplay that actually made sense and didn't suck.
>>
>>83052077
>It's a fair implication.
no it isn't

>Also I'm pretty sure the Saturn 5 can lift far more mass and materials to the space stations compared to any of those small spaceships.

If I remember correctly it was lifting two Rangers, which are capable of lifting themselves.
>>
>>83051706
>>83051699
>>83051962

Even if you had a near perfect method of recycling all the resources in your closed space, after some time the tiny fractions of losses in energy and materials add up until you need to go outside for supplies.
>>
i forgot, did the plot ever addressed on why not just go to mars?
>>
>>83052184
and that doesn't happen in space?
>>
>>83052094
No I'm not trolling, but you can correct me ? I must admit I'm French so sometime I try to make my sentence like a French and it can become another sentence.

I mean : The blight is still outside on Earth, each time you go out and comeback you will be exposed.
>>
Why didnt Rom take the other Marine Robot to fly him down to the planet. Fuck waiting 28yrs
>>
>>83052302
>I must admit I'm French

there is no cure for that
>>
>>83052238
Because Mars doesn't have an adequate atmosphere while the other planets in the wormhole do?
>>
>>83052324
because someone needs to steer the ship and the closer he gets to the planet, time gets shorter... he could end up missing them by hours and never know it
>>
>>83052367

and is that really a problem when your alternatives are tidally locked ocean planet and an planet so cold the clouds froze?
>>
>>83052262
Yes,
but you have no Blight outside and on the others planets. Less risk.
>>
>>83052262
That's why they are travelling to a virus free planet so there would be resources available that aren't contaminated.

Earth:
>sun gives energy for life
>Can't go outside so rely upon nuclear energy
>Run out of nuclear energy 10,000 years later
>Dead

New Planet
>sun gives energy for life
>can go outside for resources
>lasts for one billion years till sun becomes a red giant and consumes planet

>inb4 reasons why the virus can or can't do x y z.
The virus isn't clearly described, it's a plot device needed to advance the story.
>>
>>83052389
Why do you assume they knew beforehand ?
They only knew about the atmosphere, The first doctor was dead within 10 minutes and Mann lied.
>>
>>83052131
>If I remember correctly it was lifting two Rangers, which are capable of lifting themselves.
But they didn't just lift the two Rangers, they lifted food, supplies and cargo with it too.
Also I'm pretty sure the small Ranger doesn't use the same chemical fuel as a fucking Saturn 5, there's no fire going out of the Ranger while flying.
>>
>>83052406
>>83052437
but they weren't on other planets, they were in orbit around saturn
>>
>>83052534
No that's where the worm hole was opened, which lead to other planets.
>>
>>83052534
Still planed to go through the wormhole, in the end the old Murphy said:
>She's (Brand) alone, on our new home.
>>
>>83050756
>couldn't they like see the big ass waves from space?
The ship was in geostationary orbit on the far side of the planet from the black hole, in order to minimize the time dilation from the gravity. The wave was a tidal wave that was created by the pull of the black hole, so it was on the opposite side of the planet. That's not actually how tidal waves work, the water level should have just slowly risen from basically nothing to a mile high or whatever, but there's no way the ship would have been able to see the wave either way.
>>
>>83052672
so they were able to survive the blight for like 50 years, and seemed to do pretty well, without ever colonizing other planets
>>
File: Tidal_force.jpg (54KB, 1600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tidal_force.jpg
54KB, 1600x600px
>>83052703
but tidal waves are created on both sides of the planet
>>
>Dr Hugh Mann
Really makes me think
>>
>>83052519
The whole purpose of the Saturn 5 multi-stage design is that tower of fuel and metal is meant to lift a payload that is small in comparison to what's lifting it.

Then comes the Ranger which can lift itself. Something ain't right here.

Yes so your idea that they are stockpiling "old fuel" and use up a massive amount of resources to build and launch a Saturn 5 style rocket, just to save "new fuel" (really, how hard scarce could it be?) is the only workable, if far-fetched, explanation.

I doubt the filmmakers thought as far as this. Nolan just wanted a Saturn 5 launch sequence so that dick could say

Stage one... SEPARATION
>>
>>83050439
>Why would it be easier to terraform a planet like this instead of just fixing shit on Earth?

Take into consideration that we know what's wrong with the Earth and we already have the technology and know how to fix it.

We don't have the technology and ability to send people to visit other solar systems, let alone terraform a planet.
>>
>>83051427
This Anon has BTFO this >>83050752
>>
>>83053436
Didnt the ranger only have to fly back to the main ship?
The saturn launch system was to send a space station to saturn
>>
>>83052855
He is a big guy
>>
>expecting science in Interstellar
>expecting any amount of logic in Interstellar

and now you know why people don't like Interstellar.
>>
>>83050752
No. It's another spaceship that is travelling on its way to the new planets.
>>
>>83050439
>Why would it be easier to terraform a planet like this
The planet was useless to them.they only showed up there because Mann panicked and set off his beacon in hopes of being rescued.
>>
>>83051082
So make up some bullshit about sun turning into, red gigant sooner than expected or something, they could have raised stakes in not retarded way
>>
>>83053518
this. terraforming is a

S C A M
C
A
M
>>
>>83050439
Because there aren't any republicunts on that planet to fuck it up for financial gain.
>>
>>83051107
>the earth is so overcrowded and polluted
Let's try to stay out of the realm of conspiracy theory.
>>
>>83053707
>The saturn launch system was to send a space station to saturn
The saturn launch system is to get a payload into earth orbit. Those stages are dropped on the way into space. You need that fuel to get out of the gravity well of your planet. Once you get free of that its relatively cheap to propel yourself. Thats whythe appolo program needed a fuge huge booster rocket to get off earth, but only needed a tiny little squidgy piece of shit booster to get to the moon and back.
>>
>>83050439
Fixing home is always the sensible answer, senpai.
>>
>>83050674
>Stay on a dying planet
>Leave in the hopes of finding some place new
>>
>>83050439
Because the whole movie is a plothole.
>>
>>83051228
>can build a fully self substaining space ship that can travel the cosmos
>can't build habitats around earth gravity well
>>
>>83055574
not really desu
>>
>>83056364
The time traveling paradox is enough to crumble the whole plot.

>muh scientists worked on the movie
>>
>>83050439
Just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>83055676
>>83055419

I don't know what you lads are on about. The blight was spreading exponentially and every passing cycle left less oxygen in the atmosphere and more nitrogen. We are to assume that Humans have done everything we can do reverse this process but it seemed that it was too late. So we have two options

a)Terraform a once habitable planet (earth) with a known plant eating virus and quarantine the remaining Human population.
This possibility implies we'd have to build a habitat for humans which would carry significant risk of contamination since the habitat would be effectively surrounded by blight.

Clearly not a permanent solutions

b) Have the remaining entire population of earth live in space.

The movie suggested that this was a possibility as John Brand proposed it as Plan A. He didn't actually believe it was possible since it would require discovering a more effective way of gravitational propulsion and they didn't have access to quantum gravity.

Cooper later relays the quantum gravity data from inside the black hole which is why plan A ended up working by the end of the movie.

c)Find a new habitable planet. Typically this would be impossible as even Cooper mentions that any habitable planet is too far away to get to. However with the appearance of the wormhole there were several intriguing possibilities that put habitable planets within a few years of travel.

Therefore plan C is the most reasonable. And the best scenario would be to have plan B coincide with plan C which is what may happen if Cooper can find Brand's new habitable planet.
>>
File: faggot.png (72KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.png
72KB, 300x300px
>>83056457

plays the time travel card
>muh I don't understand physics and so it's a plothole

Tell me how stupid you are irl so I can go about the rest of my day shaking my head at all the dumbass shit I read on this website.
>>
>>83056822
>The movie suggested that this was a possibility as John Brand proposed it as Plan A. He didn't actually believe it was possible since it would require discovering a more effective way of gravitational propulsion and they didn't have access to quantum gravity.

????????????????????????

>they can orbit a black hole
>they can make a space ship that can enter blackholes
>they can't fucking orbit a piece of metal around earth

wat
>>
>>83056457
but it isn't.

1)future humans created the wormhole.

2) present humans go through the wormhole and ensure the existence of (1)

exists in a loop.

just because the future events are perceived to have happened before present events does not suggest any sort of paradox. As hard as it may be to believe, physics does not distinguish between those order so long as they don't contradict themselves.

t. physicist
>>
>>83056941
I don't mate, I'm not the one throwing ad hominems left and right after getting proven wrong because you think interstellar was a smart movie and in your plebean mind you feel intelligent when you watched a movie made by a capeshit director.
>>
>>83050439
Because gravity is love.
>>
>>83057200
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox

Explain this then because future humans wouldn't exist due to dying out in the past without the data collected from the inside the wormhole (without counting that was a dumb as fuck way to deliver the message but I can get over that.)
>>
File: MarsTransitionV.jpg (19KB, 320x322px) Image search: [Google]
MarsTransitionV.jpg
19KB, 320x322px
Why the fuck not just terraform Mars? It's right next door and we already have ideas on how to do it.
>>
>>83057173
nigga have you seen Wall-E? They couldn't permanently stay in space, just travel through it. The gravity shit made it possible for massive populations to travel to and live in space.
>>
why didn't they just shed their humanity and become integrated into a hivemind network and rely on non-organic materials as a way to sustain themselves and transform the Earth into a space faring super vessel?
>>
>>83057173
They CAN orbit earth in a spaceship until the end of the time if they wanted to. They'd rather find another habitable planet to live on though. A spaceship will experience mechanical failure at some point, it also puts a cap on the resources and living space.

It is possible.

Also nobody expected the spaceship to be able to enter the black hole. All common logic indicates that your spaceship will be crushed and spaghettified when entering a black hole. However Cooper took the risk and it turned out not to be the case. Hence not getting completely obliterated once entering the black hole was a SURPRISE. Nobody expected him to live. In reality nobody (not even scientists) know what goes on beyond the event horizon of a black hole. So however unlikely interstellar's black hole treatment is, it is not ruled out by current science. Now be careful, I'm not saying that interstellar is a correct demonstration of what goes on beyond the event horizon of a black hole, but it is still possible in principle since we don't understand them.
>>
>>83057501
Fair enough but the whole movie puts a deadline on the explorers because if they aren't fast enough mankind will die, if they can just orbit around Earth why is that even a thing?
>>
>>83057272
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox

That is indeed a paradox. But it clearly doesn't apply. The grandfather paradox is something totally different. This paradox actually discusses sending matter/people back in time. There is no mechanism in physics (as of today) that can achieve that. What is possible though is sending gravitational signals back in time. It has long since been discusses and accepted that the gravitational force warps spacetime. It can curve the space around it and the time around it. Warping time is tantamount to changing the way time flows. As a result it has been accepted that gravitational forces can link two separate locations in space (wormhole) and two locations in time.

Interstellar doesn't send matter/anybody back in time. Rewatch the movie. The only thing that is sent back in time are gravitational interactions which is possible:

1) Future humans didn't actually go back in time to create the wormhole. They created a gravitational wormhole from their current location in future spacetime.

2) Cooper doesn't go back in time to send young Murphy the quantum data. He communicates the quantum data via gravitational Morse code signals from inside the black hole (which is a massive gravitational field).

Anyway, I'm sorry I was rude. I hope this helps.
>>
>>83057809
>Despite its title, the grandfather paradox does not exclusively regard the contradiction of killing one's own grandfather to prevent one's birth. Rather, the paradox regards any action that alters the past,[3] since there is a contradiction if the past becomes different from the way it was
>Rather, the paradox regards any action that alters the past,[3] since there is a contradiction if the past becomes different from the way it was.
>>
>>83057809
>1) Future humans didn't actually go back in time to create the wormhole. They created a gravitational wormhole from their current location in future spacetime.
Doesn't this still leave out the issue that they would have needed the wormhole to survive to that point in the future in the first place?
>>
>>83057849
>>83057809

So it's not about physically sending something back.

We have
>Ascended humans in w/e way that defy physics
>Their help implies they are helping their ancestors as Cooper is a known legend that made humanity survive
>but he would never have got the job without the ascended humans giving him the coordinates of the NASA base via binary code.

This creates a grandfather paradox and the movie crumbles the instant they say they aren't aliens but future humans, if nolan went the god/aliens route or some shit it would be more credible.
>>
>>83057979
Just leave it ambiguous as "they helped us" and let the viewer decide.
>>
>>83057857
Also this, just face it, Nolan dug his grave with his shit writing, the only thing that saves this movie are the kino camera shoots.
>>
>>83057809
>Can send gravitational waves back that move dust around a room.
>Move dust around and bury your grandfather alive.
Grandfather paradox applies.
>>
>>83057857
>>83057849

Think of time as a spatial dimension (like x, y, x are). Gravity warps time like it warps those dimensions. If the warping is great enough, then it can connect two distance points in space together thereby creating a wormhole. What isn't typically mentioned is that the same effect happens with time (which can be thought of as a spatial dimension). If the warping of time is great enough, gravity can connect two separate moments in time to become the same moment. So future and present are connected by the same location in time. So future humans creating the wormhole mean that the wormhole has always existed at the present moment of time.

So even when those future humans were trying to survive the blight, they had access to the same wormhole that present day humans had.That wormhole will some day be created by their future selves. It is unavoidable, whether accidentally, part of an experiment, or purposefully, they will inevitably create that wormhole in the future.

Another interesting idea is that physics doesn't differentiate between past and future. In fact, all laws of physics (besides 1) can happen in reverse and still be capable of producing the same universe.
>>
>>83058295
Yes understanding that isn't the issue, the issue is that with the knowledge we have from the movie no human civilization will survive past the virus era and thus there will be no "future humans", unless we go into parallel dimensions in which case you can throw any kind of scientific pretense the movie has.
>>
>>83058295
While the internal logic here is consistent and correct it completely misses the point of the movie. The entire premise of the movie is "love transcends time, humans can overcome anything". But this explanation is "Time is fixed, it's always been this way and things will always be like this" which completely destroys the meaning to the film.

You're sacrificing the heart and soul of the film to try to fill some autistic need to have everything explained in clear terms.
>>
>>83051776
Save fuel for the actual mission? Duh
>>
>Nolan: ... By the end of Cooper's journey, the wormhole is gone. It's up to us now to undertake the massive journey of spreading out across the face of our galaxy. Brand is still somewhere out there on the far side of the wormhole. The wormhole has disappeared entirely. It's gone.

>IGN: And he has to try and get to Brand in this little ship?

>Nolan: That's the idea.

B R A V O
R
A
V
O
>>
>>83051776
The more I look at that thing, the less sense it makes.
>>
>>83050439
why would there be a habitable planet around a black hole that produces a fuck ton of radiation?

>le we built it xd

interstellar is so fucking stupid
>>
>>83056457
which part of "science FICTION" you don't understand?
>>
>>83059300
The part were

>muh smart movie they used REAL scientists for this!

starts.
>>
>>83059334
They only ever claimed they used scientists and it was accurate as far as how the blackhole and time dilation were portrayed. They never claimed the entire move was super accurate.
>>
>>83050756
The extreme time dilation would mean the waves would be moving so slowly they'd appear to be stationary from orbit during the time they spent there (it took 23 years for 2 waves to sweep over the landing zone), hence they thought they were mountains.
>>
>>83050439
>Why would it be easier to terraform a planet like this
How did this thread get so many replies? This film makes absolutely no suggestion of terraforming.
>>
>>83051228
>Exterminating a virus on a planetary scale, killing their entire source of food and replacing them with GM versions is easier than building a space ship
Retard.
>>
>HURR LET'S COLONISE A PLANET ORBITING A BLACK HOLE
Were they literally retarded?
>>
>>83059361
>They only ever claimed they used scientists and it was accurate as far as how the blackhole and time dilation were portrayed.

mmh....sweetie?

>Thorne, along with co-authors Oliver James, Eugénie von Tunzelmann, and Paul Franklin (all three of Double Negative), describes the methods used to create the black hole featured in Interstellar, and why a more scientifically accurate simulation was excluded in favor of a flashier, "less-confusing" one.
>>
>>83057276
>restarting Mars' core by detonating nuclear weapons
Truly primitive
>>
>>83051699
They were experimenting with the virus to confirm it was killing the corn, not trying to isolate the plants from it.
>>
>>83059095
>that produces a fuck ton of radiation?
It was a dormant black hole, so its not actively "feeding" and this not radiating anything besides hawking radiation (which isn't radiation in the way you're thinking of.
The neutron star that's near enough to "sling shot around" would be my more pressing concern, and means we're dealing with a trinary system (at minimum) and would mean all these planets have erratic and probably unstable orbits.
>>
File: 4pvkkCm.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
4pvkkCm.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
>>83059566
But it looks so cool XD
>>
>>83056457
Do you think the same thing about The Terminator? They're both predestination paradoxes.
>>
how is cooper supposed to get back to brand when the black hole already closed?
>>
>>83059802

Love.
>>
>>83050752
It would be much easier to build a dome in space where gravity isn't a concern, the structure wouldn't have to be nearly as strong.
>>
>>83057272
It's called a causal loop, it only looks like a paradox when you're stuck thinking in three dimensions.
>>
Where is a good place to discuss movies with intelligent people? I don't care if you guys are shitposting or genuine retards any more, it looks exactly the same.
>>
oh look, yet another intensely stupid interstellar thread
>>
>>83059878
Intelligent people don't discuss interstellar.
>>
>>83050847
apparently drilling is an art, not a science
>>
>>83059878
Intelligent people read books. Movies are for pseudo intellectual hipster trash and retarded normies. Which category do you fit in?
>>
>>83050833
This
>>
>>83059647
>It was a dormant black hole, so its not actively "feeding" and this not radiating anything besides hawking radiation

explain the ridiculously fucking bright accretion disk
>>
>>83059966
This. Watching movies is for those who don't want to strain their brains.
>>
>>83059831
>being this retarded

I'm sure it's not costly at all gettin all that material and people into space.
>>
>>83051028
It's a plot device that shows their urgency & desperation. Without it, what they were doing had no purpose.
>>
>>83059033
Wasn't Brand in another fucking galaxy? How is he gonna reach that place? FTL Love Engines?
>>
>>83060037
that of course emits no heat or radiation when our heros need to fly through it for no good reason.
>>
>>83060189
For starters, the movie never establishes the wormhole is gone. It, in fact, does the opposite, as how the fuck else is coop going to get there.

but on the off chance the movie wasn't written by retards for retards, the fact they slung-shot around the event horizon of the black hole to get to edmund's planet means brand isn't actually going to land on edmund's planet for billions of years. So coops got time to get there, where ever there is. Which they have no way of knowing.
>>
File: 1492573280232.jpg (42KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1492573280232.jpg
42KB, 766x960px
>>83058797
>this is what art majors really believe
>>
>>83054907
>sun turning into, red gigant sooner than expected
>not retarded
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-15-12h54m00s775.jpg (46KB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-15-12h54m00s775.jpg
46KB, 720x304px
>>83060037
>explain the ridiculously fucking bright accretion disk
>>
>>83050847
"You know nothing about drilling Ben. My vision is wasted on you"
>>
>>83054907
>billions of years sooner!

no.
>>
>>83060037
Literally extra solar photons stuck in orbit around the event horizon.
>>
Why did they say they need farmers when everything was automated? They didn't even do anything, just sit on the porch and drink beer.
>>
>>83050845
Same way we stop virus from spreading here. Don't bring infected shit around with you.

Viruses can't survive outside their host for too long.
>>
>>83051923
> carrier rocket
> convenient
> efficient

do you know what a launch takes son
>>
>>83050439
Because to do shit like that on earth you need global agreement, take something like climate change, it's extremely easy to solve in a year max but try selling that to the world.

With terraforming you avoid all this bullshit and only need the tech and resources.
>>
>>83064717
Especially when you consider they were trying to be discrete.
>>
>>83050847
because space is fake, and this movie was pushed by the government.
>>
>>83059878
You're really great at debunkimg all the arguments against Interstellar aren't you?
>>
I hate this movie because it ignores the existence of hydroponic farming.

You could literally have indoor farms that could feed the entire nation, and they would be completely I effected by the outside weather

People can even have mini hydro farms in their homes

It's a huge oversight in both science and reason
>>
>>83051107
there arent really 7 billion people on earth mate, overpop is world gov propaganda.
>>
>>83064991
nice reddit spacing
>>
>>83050439
this movie made me made me ask far too many questions.

this is hollywoods fault, Kubrick tried to warn us in the shining.
>>
>>83059939
this.
>>
>>83060053
or fall asleep after 4 hours of reading and not getting anywhere in the story except vivid descriptions of the protagonist looking out the window as the fettered breez swept across the horizon. His gaze stretched , his eyes crossed..etc etc

books are not for those of short intention spans, I read for power and information to expand my imagination , not for entertaining novels and other peoples fantasies
>>
>>83065281
You can do that all with films too, just stop watching the latest Hollywood garbage.
>>
>>83064991
Its glossed over because the movie is too busy for its own good, but the blight was causing all the oxygen to be replaced with nitrogen in addition to killing off all plant life.
The script needed another draft, it is too bloated and convoluted for no real reason, with no real payoff.
>>
File: 1469641585559.jpg (46KB, 400x568px) Image search: [Google]
1469641585559.jpg
46KB, 400x568px
>Expecting common sense from a Nolan flick
>>
>>83050779

all makes sense now
>>
File: interstellar-cooper-crying.png (759KB, 895x570px) Image search: [Google]
interstellar-cooper-crying.png
759KB, 895x570px
>>83050439
JUSTopher Nolan
>>
File: 1487324503269.jpg (57KB, 960x824px) Image search: [Google]
1487324503269.jpg
57KB, 960x824px
>>83065118
>>
>>83051228
>engineering know-how carries over into biological know-how
pop-sci detected
You're right that it doesn't make sense that their lander can do what it does but to say that literal rocket science carries over into genetic engineering is maximum pop-sci.
Not to mention they probably already tried it and it just didn't work.
>>
Some dumb bullshit: the movie
>>
>>83065118
>that pic
Humanity was a mistake
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.