[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

goddamn this movie is confusing. Can anyone clarify what is going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (111KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
111KB, 1920x1080px
goddamn this movie is confusing. Can anyone clarify what is going on in this movie?
>>
Rich assholes getting richer
>>
weren't you paying attention to the celebrity cutaways explaining it? fuck off moron, pay attention next time
>>
>>83031108
Capitalism 101
>>
4 people see the falling housing market in the united states and invest against it. Getting rich off of stupid bankers and investors giving triple a mortgages to people who blatantly could never afford them. Profiting off of the unfortunate.
>>
>>83031137
This

Fuck this gay movie
>>
>>83031108
this is a movie I saw but can't even remember
>>
It actually is made difficult to follow for no reason

What happened was very simple, but the movie tries to obfuscate the issue for some reason.

long story short, bankers are making bad loans to home buyers who can never pay them back and then repackaging those loans and selling them on the market as AAA rated debt. These bad loans are called NINJA loans be because the debtor taking out the home loan typically had No Income No Job or Assets

They sell these loans to gullible idiots who lose all their money when it turns out that the loans are trash but were rated as AAA debt by credit rating agencies. It's no different then a guy selling you fake Rolex watches on the side of the road.

This used to be called securities fraud, but it became perfectly legal in the US due to lack of regulation or policing of financial markets.
>>
>>83031230
Everyone with more than two brain cells on wall street saw it coming

They just didn't care because they knew they'd get bailed out and that they would get bonuses AND that no one would go to jail.

And that's exactly what happened.
>>
>>83031108
Econ prof here

The book is much better. The movie is fine, but partisan when it shoehorns in Bernie propaganda.

If you're interested about the subject, Too Big to Fail is a very well done movie with based Paul Giamatti
>>
>>83031473
Bob Dylan said it best; "All the criminals in their suits and their ties, are free to drink martinis and watch the sunrise."
>>
>>83031404
>this movie is confusing
>>83031108
>made difficult to follow

You're joking, right? The movie actually went out of their way to explain in very simplistic laymen terms. You two must suck at this english comprehension thing.
>>
>>83031473

most of the losses at big banks happened because credit products went crazy and they were levered as typically those instruments move very slowly. maybe they knew the housing market was in a bubble but i dont think they foresaw the collapse of lehman and the ensuing panic. it all happened pretty fast and i highly doubt the mood was "gee its all gonna be okay cause there will be bailouts"...people on trading floors were seriously pricing in the possibility that the banks would be nationalized
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.