[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alien >lets make a horror movie >widely successful Aliens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

Alien
>lets make a horror movie
>widely successful

Aliens
>lets try action
>widely successful

Alien 3
>lets try a creation type story
>failure

Alien resurrection
>failure

Prometheus
>failure

Alien Covenant
>failure

>trying to bring a deeper meaning into a simple slasher film

Are these people retarded?
>>
The real problem is that Alien is an old property and no one cares about it anymore. No one's cared about it for decades now. But, it has an established brand so that will be milked. Still, no one actually cares about it.
>>
File: david fincher alien 3 xenomorph.jpg (24KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
david fincher alien 3 xenomorph.jpg
24KB, 600x300px
>>83013039
Alien 3 was a failure because the studio relentlessly fought with David Fincher during filming and edited the film without any input from him. The assembly cut is the closest we'll ever get to a director's cut and it's not bad at all. It has flaws but it's by far the third best Alien film.
>>
>>83013314
Everyone ITT will just take your word for it, because honestly, we're not going to watch it.
>>
>>83013401
Why? You've seen every other Alien film so you might as well see the assembly cut of Alien 3. It's not perfect but it's pure genius compared to Resurrection and Ridley's prequels.
>>
>>83013512
I don't rewatch movies for any reason.
>>
>>83013039
three wasn't bad
>>
>>83013554
What? Not even different cuts? Not even your favorite movies?
>>
>>83013039
Alien is not "a simple slasher film". Its aesthetic and symbolism make it one of the most culturally important movie of its time
>>
>>83013554
You're a fuckin pleb and you have to go back
>>
>we will never see the alien movie about space monks living on a wooden planet

Worst timeline
>>
>>83013314

what are some of the changes made from the studio?
>>
File: 1411912017495.png (60KB, 414x275px) Image search: [Google]
1411912017495.png
60KB, 414x275px
>When your prequel trilogy accidentally retcons your original movie
>>
>>83013786
Not that guy, but they assigned Alien 3 a release date before it even started pre-production
>>
>>83013314
my dude

Assembly Cut is kino.
>>
>>83014094
Oh, so like every third movie in a series ever made, then?
>>
Alien 3 was great you pleb cunts
>>
>>83013589
You must be new. If you would lived through the Alien/Alien 2 period, Alien 3 was a slap in the face. Whacking 3 main characters in the first 3 minutes was brutal. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. No joke. Depressed for the rest of the flick.
>>
>>83013627 see >>83014130
Cretins who rewatch movies say things like "my dude".

Have fun chestbumping and rewatching subpar flicks.
>>
>>83013786
>what are some of the changes made from the studio?
Watch the Assembly Cut.

The Jews at fox made fincher cut out all the long shots of the scenery establishing atmosphere, and all the religious references
>>
>>83014202
I was gonna call him my nigga but I wanted to try and be better than that, so I improvised.

Sorry it came out awkward.
>>
>>83013786
>less plotholes
>the editing isn't as choppy
>lots more character development
>they successfully trap the xenomorph in the vault but Golic, the completely insane prisoner, lets it out
>the xenomorph comes out of an ox instead of a dog
>at the very end when Ripley sacrifices herself the queen xenomorph DOESN'T burst out of her chest
Those are all of the major things. If you want a comprehensive list of differences then read this:

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_3_Assembly_Cut

If you're one of those "HOW COULD THEY KILL OFF NEWT AND HICKS?! I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS MOVIE!" people then the assembly cut probably won't change your mind about Alien 3. If you liked elements of Alien 3 but were annoyed by the plotholes and thought the characters were underdeveloped then you'll probably really like the assembly cut.
>>
>>83013039
they overestimated the audiences intelligence and hope they can be entertained past mindless horror/action.

Maybe you should just stick to your avengers movies kid
>>
Where do you Assembly Cut faggots live? I want to fight you one on one, no weapons just fists grappling and feet.
>>
>>83014388
Intelligently criticize the assembly cut, faggot. All I ever hear from you faggots is "IT'S TOO SLOW!" and "MUH NEWT! MUH HICKS!" I've seen legit criticisms of the theatrical cut but I've never seen legit criticisms of the assembly cut.
>>
>>83014479
>Actually responding to such obvious bait

Fuck off retard.
>>
>>83014130
Yeah, I don't get why so many continue to dismiss Alien 3.
>>83014202
You sound autistic.
>>
>>83013554
if you dont re watch any movies, then you miss the point on how to truly appreciate any kind of cinema.
You don't just stare at an art piece for a second and then walk away and try judging it. You have to actually look at it and study it.

Same would go for movies. You see everything unfold in front of you and you dont really get a good grasp on all the details that go into the movie. Its better to see it once, and then watch it again so you can sit back and truly appreciate the movie.
>>
>Alien 3 is bad
ugh smells like turbopleb here
>>
>>83014615
I enjoy reflecting on cinematic experiences I've consumed and thinking about the details I've witnessed rather than compulsively rewatching them because I wasn't paying proper attention the first time, but to each his own.
>>
>>83014344

>we're going for muh thinking mans movie
>official movie poster is this

neck yourself
>>
>>83014202
Everyone rewatches movies. Directors, screenwriters, actors, critics, plebs, the list is endless. Only a weirdo who doesn't truly appreciate cinema would refuse to ever rewatch movies.
>>
why the fuck is there no camrip still?!
>>
>Alien 3

Uhhhh, what? In what way Alien 3 was a "creation story"?
>>
>>83014796

ripley has an alien queen ala a womb surrogate
>>
>>83014685
i didnt say compulsively watch them i say watch a second time. At least twice the minimum. and then whatever you like after that. Maybe if you did that you wouldnt have such shit opinions on movies. But like you said, to each his own.

>>83014686
>Literally judging a movie based on its cover.

You are whats wrong with todays audience. Seriously get educated and stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>Alien 3

It was more about going back to the feeling of the first one, with unarmed people against a single Alien. Alien 3 remains my favourite (Assembly Cut). It even has the best logo before a movie ever.
>>
>>83014701
Wow, wait, did you just call me a weirdo? Really? Just because I don't rewatch movies due to my eidetic memory?
>>
>>83013881
How so?
>>
>>83014920
pleb

>liking solely cuz of muh director
>>
>>83014256
>but I wanted to try and be better than that,
FUCKING REDDIT
>>
>>83014941
What does eidetic memory have to do with it? Watching a different cut would let you see things that actually weren't in the movie that you saw.
>>
>>83015036
I don't like it because of the director. I like the movie and the version that was most similar to what the director wanted. I still don't like Newt and Hicks to be dead from the beginning though.
>>
>>83013554
>>83014685
But a different cut of a movie can be a new experience. Look at Kingdom of Heaven, Blade Runner and Alien 3. The theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a horribly edited mess that focuses more on action and adventure than characters, the director's cut properly develops the characters and adds a lot more emotional weight to the movie. The theatrical cuts of Blade Runner have awkward narration and a nonsensical happy ending, the director's cut and the final cut don't have the awkward narration or the nonsensical happy ending. The theatrical cut of Alien 3 has plotholes and a bunch of characters are underdeveloped, the assembly cut fills in all of the plotholes and nicely fleshes out the characters.
>>
If you haven't seen Assembly Cut of Alien 3, you are really missing out. It's a very good film and worthy of fitting in next to the first two.
>>
>>83014941
>due to my eidetic memory?
Why didn't you say that in the first place? No one would've mocked you if you had said you have eidetic memory. Although even with eidetic memory you should watch different cuts of films.
>>
>>83015037
>hates people who make movies that are lazy, uninspired, unspirited rehashes

>has been calling people nigger faggots for the past 17 years

I just want to do something different.
>>
>>83014509
>provise a valid criticism
>hurrdurr fuck off retard

When people say 4chan is going to shit, they are referring to you and people like you being here.

I actually hate you and hope that you get to experience something as traumatic as seeing your child die in front of you because you are such a fucking cunt.

Gtfo my 4chan nigger
>>
>>83015166
I'll never watch it.
>>
Alien 3: Assembly is pretty kino.

>Getting to be in Fury 161
>More Clemens
>More Dillon
>That way better opening

What was it, over 30 minutes longer? Way better. The fire part where they actually manage to trap it is fucking sweet.

>>83015242
Too bad.
>>
File: image.png (346KB, 2880x1620px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
346KB, 2880x1620px
>>83013554
Hahahahahaha, what? Why are you wasting time on this board then?
>>
>>83014479
They can't because it's actually good.
>>
>>83013589
No, it was terrible.
>Does the movie I'm viewing have Ron Pearlman in it?
>Yes
Then it's a terrible movie.
>>
>>83015386
You're thinking of Resurrection, senpai.
>>
>>83014897

people cant be upset that a movie marketed toward a specific theme was a trick. If the movie was good this thread wouldn't exist.
>>
>>83015118
Director's cut of KoH was convoluted and overstuffed. He couldn't even get the history right.
>>
>>83015332
I like discussing ongoing television shows, though filmshit is ruining the experience.
>>
>>83015386
Ron Perlman was the best part of Alien: Resurrection.
>>
Prometheus is absolutely great desu
>>
I was watching Alien 3 and stopped at Golic freeing the alien. Read about the Assembly Cut being good and got excited. Then I realised the version I was watching was the Assembly Cut. Theatrical version must be pretty big pile of steaming shit then.
>>
>>83015464
Wew, I've never seen someone argue the theatrical cut is better.
>>
>>83015422
the movie was good. doesnt matter if a movie is good or not cause /tv/ seems to have a majority of people was some of the shittiest opinions I have ever seen for movies. You belong here anon
>>
so what did shaw eat and drink on the ship all those years?
>>
>>83014615
i>m to fucking dumb to remember things for 2-3 hours and need to watching things multiple times
>>
>>83015503
>I was watching Alien 3 and stopped at Golic freeing the alien.
Why? Throughout the film it's thoroughly established that Golic is insane so him freeing the alien makes sense. He thinks it's the angel of death.
>>
>>83013039
Fucking hell those weapon designs. Did the AR platform not evolve in the 200 years leading up to this movie?
>>
>>83015484
>Ron Perlman was the best part of Alien: Resurrection.

Winona Ryder was a 3DPD waifu

are 3D waifus okay if they're robots?
>>
>>83013039
As opposed to you, nailing down the reason for movies failures with one sentence?
>>
File: drive_ver5_xlg.jpg (256KB, 1012x1500px) Image search: [Google]
drive_ver5_xlg.jpg
256KB, 1012x1500px
>>83015386
>>Does the movie I'm viewing have Ron Pearlman in it?
>>Yes
>Then it's a terrible movie.
Wrong.
>>
>>83015613
>Did the AR platform not evolve in the 200 years leading up to this movie?
That´d be 2104-2017=87 years (minus however long the Covenant had been on its journey before the movie begins), bud.
>>
>>83015533
Putting a bow on shit doesn't make it better.
>>
>>83013039
Alien Covenant was a massive step in the right direction. Corrected a lot of the hamfistedness of Prometheus and tied it in with more gore and beauty.
>>
>>83015484
>>83015651
Best part of Resurrection was the failed clones scene.
>>
I saw Cov in the theater yesterday, after watching Prometheus again Friday. I liked Prometheus originally but was bored as shit rewatching it. I really dug Covenant. The existential theat of space exploration was clear throughout and the tension made my butthole squeeze when the stupid human characters started doing stupid human things. It was fun seeing the series monsters kill people. It was nice to pick up motivating philosophy from direct statements in dialogue instead of symbolism like Prometheus.

It was interesting that David became more human as he became more corrupted and that as the creation of such an ignoble creator, maybe he was intrinsically corrupted.

It was also interesting that Billy Crudup's faith didnt prevent him from being any more short-sighted as anybody else, especially in light of the whole "noble sacrifice dying God v. misguided rationalist self-interest" dichotomy from Prometheus.
>>
>>83015604
Because I was falling asleep. I rewatched Alien, Aliens and Prometheus before Alien 3 and just didn't care for it. Even prometheus with the deleted scenes is way better.
>>
>>83013786

I remember shit about how they wanted Aliens on earth terrorizing future New York or some shit. Then they decided it'd be too expensive or something, they ran around with the idea of like a death star, but made of wood and run by monks, and the Alien would be able to infect technology and mutate it.

Pretty much fucking no one had a clue how to make a follow up after Aliens pretty much ended as best as you could hope for, and they figured there's just too much money not to do it.

Really, not unlike how the Terminator series has just been completely fucked after T2 ended perfectly because studio execs turned into dollar signs thinking about T3.
>>
>>83015984

it would've been a better movie if it didn't have to fix prometheus's flaws.

what tied up this movie was having to go back and rehash those pointless unknown questions.

when it could've been an interesting standalone that focused more on diverse character interaction and motive.(which it was marketed to be)
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.