[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will his refugee crisis movie "Happy End" change society

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: 183182598[1].jpg (256KB, 969x1024px) Image search: [Google]
183182598[1].jpg
256KB, 969x1024px
Will his refugee crisis movie "Happy End" change society as we know it?
>>
File: 1347565016581.jpg (26KB, 314x430px) Image search: [Google]
1347565016581.jpg
26KB, 314x430px
culture will never be the same
especially if he wins best foreign at the end of the year too
>>
>>82909476
No, it's made to win third Palme d'Or and be Cannes' legend like Kusturica. Haneke deserves it.
It won't change anything.
First funny games had the greatest influence on the public I think. But the hate lasted very short.
also society/humanity/nation/refugees etc are so abstract terms. We are too different to treat us like some kind of controlable mass.
>>
If he thinks western civilization is so shit, does he think that his films could be made in any other context? Does he care? Serious question.
>>
>>82909636
what context? I didn't understand your question.
In his movies he touches a lot of problems, sometimes it's meta-film (Funny Games), sometimes it's souless movie adaptation of a book (Kafka, Jelinek, J. Roth, Rosei, Bachmann), sometimes it's refugees (Code Inconnu), sometimes it's dysfunctional family (Seventh Continent), Post-Apocalypse (Wolfzeit).
>>
>>82909476
Old white people who hate western culture so much just need to fucking die, they won't be missed.
>>
>>82909737
Refugees and modern western detachment are chief themes of 71 Fragments, Code Unknown, Cache, and Happy End.
>>
>>82909737
Also, not that guy, but I think he's asking if Haneke's movies could possibly be made anywhere BUT the west. Could they be made in Wakaliwood? Or Hong Kong?
>>
>>82909937
I don't remember question of refugees in 71 fragments. Only ping pong scene and the ending. Could you remind me? It's pure Haneke. Nothing happens and BAM. One scene defines/changes the movie.
>>
>>82910009
>I don't remember question of refugees in 71 fragments.
One of the characters, the child who is wise beyond his years and pragmatic, is a refugee.
>>
>>82909980
He said that the White Ribbon is quite universal.

Also: Funny Games is not that anchored in western civilization. It could happen in Japan or India. Generally speaking, of course.

Also "Seventh Continent" or "Benny's Video" could happen in a very civilized country like Japan or China.
>>
>>82910058
Thank you. (Not that I plan to watch it again, never, I don't like it)
>>
>>82910119
I think it's one of his better movies along with Code Unknown and Time of the Wolf. Cache and Seventh Continent are horrible.
>>
>>82909476
The refugees will be portrayed as these mystical victim creatures just like the aliens from Avatar
>>
Saw a rough cut of this the other day.
>Nice upper-middle class white French family.
>"""Refugee""" crisis starts
>Shown as happening in the background, family doesn't really notice or feel the effects for most of the film
>Little details like dirty refugees wearing rags sleeping in cardboard boxes or receiving water rations in the background while the family drives past in a new luxury car
>The point is to show how much the family is unaffected and enjoying life while the viewer notices refugees suffering silently in the background
>Eventually French government official arrives at the door and tells the father that the French government has determined the family must house one of the refugee men, a Muslim Syrian in his late 20s
>Father reluctantly agrees
>Rest of the family is enchanted by the refugee man
>One day father comes home to find refugee man having sex with his wife
>They all call a family meeting and the wife and refugee man explains to the father that they're getting married
>And he is also marrying the daughter as well
>And he has been fucking the son. Son (who was shown to have a girlfriend earlier) says he is becoming the "pearl boy" of the refugee man, basically his gay concubine who bellydances for him and stuff
>Father has a realization that the refugee man is the font of manliness that his family needed, and he decides he no longer wants to be the patriarch of the family
>The titular happy end is the father wishes everyone well and leaves the house to the refugee man. Flash forward several years and he is an old man reviewing a photo album with photos of the refugee man marrying his wife and daughter, impregnating them, and his son dressed like an arabic woman doing erotic dances for the refugee man, and he dies holding the photos with a peaceful smile on his face
>>
>>82910205
8/10
>>
>>82910143
I actually like Cache, watched it about three times. Time of the Wolf, according to Haneke himself, it's one of his weaker movies. Didn't like it and again, I remember the gunshot scene.

anyone watched Lemminge? It's on youtube with subtitles as far as I remember.
>>82910170
With Haneke's irony? It's not that obvious.
>>
>>82910205
shit, this is my kind of movie!!!
>>
>>82910205
>I never watched Haneke but I will try to troll anyway he he
>>
>>82910283
what impressed me about Time of the Wolf (and Code Unknown) was that, compared to his other movies, he actually seems to show a tenderness to his characters. It's very refreshing
>>
>>82910205
>>
>>82910497
and your comment does not bring ANYTHING to our discussion.
>>
>>82909892
Everyone who hates Western culture but still lives in it needs to do the same
>>
>>82910619
Should we love it unconditionally?
Should we change it?
Hamburgers identify those who don't like western culture as islamists or SJWs but it's an oversimplification.
>>
>>82910659
it's not perfect but literally every alternative is trash.
>>
>>82910659
>Should we love it unconditionally?
Michael Haneke hates in unconditionally. His venom for middle class Europeans finds its way into everything he touches.

I don't know what 'change it' means. Obviously western civilization has undergone lots of changes over time, but Haneke seems like he really just wants to destroy it.
>>
>>82910903
OK, so I have seen 2 critical approaches and I am confused:
1. Haneke wants to destroy western civilization (You)
2. Haneke is a hypocritical elitist and makes safe movies about and for upper class.
>>
>>82910143
>Seventh Continent is horrible.

It's his best film you fucking pleb.
>>
>>82911307
>It's his best film you fucking pleb.
It's not atmospheric or tense at all.
Haneke refuses to take a stand on whether the family is mentally ill or if they did the right thing.
You could have shaved 30 minutes off and no one would notice.
>>
>>82911451
>Haneke refuses to take a stand on whether the family is mentally ill or if they did the right thing.
Do you need a scene-explainer to explain you everything? Are you even able to your own reflections and thoughts?
>>
>>82911599
>Do you need a scene-explainer to explain you everything?
I just need a movie to have something to say.
>>
>>82911162
The upper class in western culture has become obsessed with the destruction of working and middle class white people. These two things are not antithetical.
>>
>>82911680
I have an impression you want all the things in the world to be explained. Etiologically.
>>
>>82911749
So the immigrant crisis will not touch the upper class, right?
>>
>>82911787
When a director makes a movie about a family killing themselves, he better provide more insight into the characters' psyche besides LOL MODERN LIFE SUCKS
>>
>>82911950
>scene in a car wash
>girl who pretedns to be blind
that's already something
>>
>>82911824
>So the immigrant crisis will not touch the upper class, right?
not for a long time
>>
IF YOU HATE WHITE PEOPLE SO MUCH KILL FUCKING YOURSELF ALREDY GOD FUCKING DAMMIT HANEKE

Amour was fantastic tho
>>
>>82910058
>>82910009
>>82910119

Well the kid was a romanian gypsy kid actually, so was more like "economic migrant"
>>
>>82912553
>hate somebody
>kill yourself instead
great advice to be frank
>>
>>82909476
Does this have any connection to the Brecht play?
>>
>>82911824
If anything, it will just make them even richer. Employers will get cheaper labor across the entire economy.
>>
>>82911162
He likely a hypocritical elitist, just like Adorno. Though it is not so much that his movies are about and for the upper class, but they are opposition to conventional/modern morality and values of the bourgeoisie/liberals. Either he is just using his 'art' for social capital or worse he actually believes in the dreadful and supercilious aristocratic/bohemian positions his films take to critique modern western culture.
>>
>>82909623
It's incredible how almost no one remembers Emir Costarica now
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.