[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dx e_ugmIVM&pxtry=1 &g

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 45

File: 1340808560001.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1340808560001.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM&pxtry=1

>For the first time in franchise history, the lead character on Star Trek: Discovery won’t be a ship’s captain. Instead, that duty will fall to First Officer Michael Burnham, played by The Walking Dead veteran Sonequa Martin-Green. However, she’ll be surrounded by a names and faces that should prove familiar to film and TV fans, like the great Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou of the starship Shenzhou and the equally great Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca of the Discovery itself. The lower ranks are filled out by James Frain as a Vulcan astrophysicist named Sarek (who has son named Spock), make-up and monster veteran Doug Jones as an alien science officer named Saru (a member of a species new to the Star Trek universe), and Anthony Rapp as a astromycologist named Stamets (who is also the first Trek character to be openly gay, an “about damn time” moment for a series that has always patted itself on the back for its progressive attitudes).

>Star Trek: Discovery will premiere on CBS later this year before becoming a CBS All Access exclusive for the rest of its 15-episode first season.
>>
>first openly gay Trek character
George Takei oh my gif
>>
>>82876707
>>For the first time in franchise history, the lead character on Star Trek: Discovery won’t be a ship’s captain

DS9 already did that until they made Sisko a captain in a desperate attempt to get back the ratings they lost and the fans they spent two seasons shitting on
>>
>>82876915
He was the leader of the ship for the first few seasons anyways so he had the captain role. This is like if Ryker were the main character of TNG
>>
File: 19003286612.jpg (104KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
19003286612.jpg
104KB, 768x576px
>no neelix
dropped
>>
>still introducing new species in a prequel show
>species that we never see in TOS, TNG, DS9 and so on

Does anyone else get annoyed by this?
>>
>>82876707
>and Anthony Rapp as a astromycologist named Stamets (who is also the first Trek character to be openly gay, an “about damn time” moment for a series that has always patted itself on the back for its progressive attitudes).

Is this supposed to be a selling point?
>>
>>82877214
yeah
>>
>>82877106
Riker 'was' originally meant to be the focus of TNG. That was why such a big deal was made of him not letting Picard go on away missions. Also why Picard is such a grumpy asshole in the first few episodes. But they abandoned that pretty quickly.

>>82877214
i'm annoyed that's a prequel, not that they're making the best of a bad decision. a Trek without regular new aliens would be lame
>>
>>82877214
depends on how the aliens look
>>
But Michael is a man's name, my name is michael
>>
>>82877455
I thought he was a grumpy asshole because he was 59 years old
>>
>>82877289
it is if you're gay and want to see gay lovin on star trek

otherwise no, i guess not, but nothing to get offended about
>>
>>82877289
>gay guy studies "space mushrooms"
>>
>>82876707
>tamets (who is also the first Trek character to be openly gay,
So, Sulu wasn't openly gay in Beyond?
>>
>>82877214
There's no problem with this at all, you autist. Plenty of times, species are introduced in single episodes that are never seen again.
>>
File: Jason-Isaacs-The-Patriot.jpg (223KB, 690x462px) Image search: [Google]
Jason-Isaacs-The-Patriot.jpg
223KB, 690x462px
>>82876707
>Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca of the Discovery itself

sold....fucking sold.
>>
...Wasn't Sarek a politician?
>>
new warp effect IS SHIT

SHIT
>>
>>82877647
He was a diplomat.
>>
File: 1467385485054.jpg (29KB, 564x430px) Image search: [Google]
1467385485054.jpg
29KB, 564x430px
WHAT. HAVE. THEY . FUCKING. DONE. TO. THE. KLINGONS!!?!!

They have dishonored the legacy of a fictional race that values honor above anything else!!
>>
>>82877455
>>>82877106
>Riker 'was' originally meant to be the focus of TNG. That was why such a big deal was made of him not letting Picard go on away missions. Also why Picard is such a grumpy asshole in the first few episodes. But they abandoned that pretty quickly.

Watch the name shit happens with Jason isaacs, he will be more popular among viewers and eventually the focus will shift to him
>>
>>82877594
yeah, they can do minor "alien of the weeks" all they want. however, it'd be odd to introduce an alien with continual interaction with the federation like betazoids and then have them disappear (but that won't stop them)
>>
>>82877715
Spoilers

The really dark skinned Klingon is Molor. The Klingons are from the 9th century. Kahless exiled them. They went into cryo sleep. The present day Klingons look like a mix of the TOG klingons and the TNG.

A Klingon Mercenary is introduced as a pivotal character 1/2 through the series. He is a Klingon like Worf adopted by human parents, he wants nothing to do with Klingon culture and acts quite human and likes being culturally human. However it is revealed he is the descendant of Kahless and is considered to be his reincarnation by the religious Klingons. Molor wants this Klingon dead. His adopted name is ''Senan'' which is Gaelic. He joins the crew of the Discovery. His appearance has been kept secret as to avoid heavy spoilers. The writers plan for him to become an ''Aragorn'' sort of leader eventually, a reluctant cliche King, but apparently he's written very well despite the trope. He is played by Allen Leech.
>>
>>82876707
Looks like complete fucking shit, jesus christ.
>>
>>82877214
>Does anyone else get annoyed by this?

in universe they give themselves an out by mentioning that a lot of the federations' races are not as involved in star fleet as Humans or Vulcans.
>>
>>82876707
I saw the trailer for The Orville and it looks far better than this sjw shitshow
>>
File: 1493872373647.png (268KB, 605x507px) Image search: [Google]
1493872373647.png
268KB, 605x507px
>>82876707
>James Frain as a Vulcan astrophysicist named Sarek (who has son named Spock)
>a Vulcan astrophysicist
Sarek was a fucking diplomat. He wasn't even in Starfleet.

Also Sarek's eldest child was Sybok, but desu I would't mind if ST5 got retconned out of existence.
>>
>>82877647
yep...he was a diplomat.

his twin was a Romulan captain.
>>
>>82877787
I always imagined the Federation as a big thing with tons of different races and we never get to see all of them.
>>
>wants to make an alpha canon series
>doesn't want to do the necessary research
>wants to virtue signal hard
>doesn't want to put it on-air so they can quietly can it when it doesn't do blockbuster numbers
>>
>>82877845
>>82877647
>expecting a Vulcan not to be a scientist too

they are obsessed with logic and science, it makes sense
you can become a diplomat later on just like Worf did
>>
They could have made a series like the original one.

Where every week they go to some new strange planet and deal with some unique science fiction concept.

But no, they've got klingnons and vulcans and all that dead end bullshit that's done nothing but drag down the series.
>>
>>82877787
>however, it'd be odd to introduce an alien with continual interaction with the federation like betazoids and then have them disappear (but that won't stop them)
There were only a handful of betazoids even in TNG, and it wouldn't bother me in the least if they never appear again.
>>
>>82877625
>Jason Isaacs
Not bad. Brotherhood was underrated.
>>
File: 1456554752093.jpg (386KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1456554752093.jpg
386KB, 1440x1080px
>>82877790
How do you know this? If this is true do they transfer over the Klingon culture of warrior culture, weapons, traditions, and beliefs? I noticed you mentioned Kahless I assume some semblance to the original worship of him is probably there? Is he still Klingon Jesus? Or what roll does he play now.
>>
>>82877508
>woman named Chuck in Pushing Daisies
>woman named George in Dead Like Me
>woman named Freddie in Hannibal
>woman named Michael in Star Trek
It's a Bryan Fuller thing.
>>
>>82876707

This shit was dead on arrival from the point they fucked with the lead writer until he quit and then started talking about making it an exclusive for their streaming service.
>>
>>82878412
Freddie is also a woman's name.
>>
>>82878496
Nice try, Michael.
>>
>>82876707
>Sonequa
>>
>>82876707
>The lower ranks are filled out by James Frain as a Vulcan astrophysicist named Sarek (who has son named Spock)

FUCK THIS
>>
>Brian "I wanted to remake this scene because it wasn't gay enough" Fuller isn't part of the show
>DS9 fags claim this is somehow bad
>>
Looked like Mass Effect with Star Trek names. I won't pass judgement until I see what the plot is about because trailers are universally shit.
>>
File: ChlALeYVIAAjb0S.jpg (36KB, 369x450px) Image search: [Google]
ChlALeYVIAAjb0S.jpg
36KB, 369x450px
>>82876707
I just recently started watching tng. They'll either try and turn it into star wars or shove commie bullshit down our throats.
>>
>>82876707
>more jews and women
oh great
>>
File: 1493411136205.gif (601KB, 2548x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1493411136205.gif
601KB, 2548x2000px
>>82877214
No. The Federation is fucking huge, of course there are aliens that we've never seen before.

Hell, the Federation was in a fucking war with Cardassia that only ended in season 3 or 4 of TNG, and that was never, ever mentioned before then.
>>
>>82877214
Kirk straight up says that there are like 150 member words of the Federation. We only saw like 25 of them. Leaving 125 other species left. To say nothing about non-Federation aliens.

This doesn't bother me one bit.
>>
>>82876707
>Star Trek overwhelmingly appeals to FUCKING WHITE MALES
>Cast shitskin cunts in the leading roles

This will bomb harder than Enterprise.
>>
>>82878833
> TMP existed only because of Star Wars

What's the issue again?
>>
HER NAME WAS MICHAEL!!!!
>>
I'm sure all sorts of chink/nigger women will flock to this show making it a huge hit.
>>
>>82878922
But then how will black girls know that they can be starship officers without seeing them on television?!
>>
>>82879220

Protip: They won't be seeing it, women don't care about Star Trek, and neither do niggers.
>>
>tfw I want to complain about STD's actual issues
>tfw I find myself defending STD because /tv/ (now just /pol/ 2.0) only wants to complain about non-white and non-male characters
Does anybody want to discuss the overabundance of Dutch angles?

How about that holo-communicator? I don't think that it belongs.

Is it just me or is a voice-controlled spacesuit impractical? You should be able to hit the brakes faster than you can say "Computer, hit the breaks."
>>
>>82879262
But people are complaining about a male character.

The big fuck you on the franchise is how they are using the Enterprise emblem. They are using a badge and not a patch and everything about that uniform is wrong as this takes place as Pike commands the Enterprise.
>>
>>82879262

Who cares? It's just a dumb action series for little kids.
>>
>>82879388
Star Trek uniforms will never be consistent. The sooner you accept that, the better.
>>
>>82877455
Riker was meant to be captain because Stewart had cancer.
>>
>>82879416
They are during the same timeframe.

But there is no defending the Enterprise emblem. Whoever is in charge clearly knows nothing about Trek.
>>
Alright
What is so special about a fictional character being openly homo? Does it affect his judgement? His decision making process?
>>
>>82879493
TOS said gays don't exist anymore.
>>
>>82879488
>They are during the same timeframe.
Remember when TNG 1.0 upgraded to TNG 2.0, but only the main characters? All the background characters still had to wear TNG 1.0 uniforms.

How about when it was established that TNG uniforms are for starships and DS9 uniforms are for stationary postings? Oops, here comes Voyager. Oops, and they wear TNG uniforms on Earth too.

And nobody can adequately explain the clusterfuck that is Generations.
>>
>>82876707
>The tech is WAY more advanced looking than TOS
>Uniforms are sleek and 2017 vogue despite taking place near the time of TOS
>Interior lighting and design is dark and sleek despite taking place near the time of TOS

This shit pisses me off more than anything else. For all it's flaws, ENT at least tried to make their tech and ship look proper for the timeframe. The JJverse did the modern update thing, but tried to at least keep in the spirit of TOS aesthetics.

This? This looks like hackneyed Mass Effect, but with the sledgehammer subtle agenda pushing of Mass Effect: Andromeda.

If people want to write their own SJW slickster scifi show, just go and make an original property for fuck's sake.
>>
>>82879179
>I'm sure all sorts of chink/nigger women will flock to this show making it a huge hit.
Putting it on an obscure streaming service guarantees that won't happen.

I'm okay with a progressive cast, as long as the plot is traditional. I want moral dilemmas and politics, not "epic" space battles and 10 minute action scenes.
>>
At least now everyone will appreciate Enterprise more.
>>
>>82876707
>Sonequa Martin-Green

Jesus

Then it keeps going
>>
>>82879708
This shit right here.

>Gay character on the show?
I'm fine with it.

>Gay character being shoved down everybody's throats as a selling point.
Clearly garbage if that's what they are trying to push, especially when Trek has had metaphors about this kind of thing for decades. If these writers weren't so wrapped up in their 2017 identity politics they'd realize that.

I just don't know who this show is supposed to be for. Trek fans are going to hate it, and normie SJWs are either not going to watch it or watch the pilot for Progressive Brownie Points and then never touch it again. This is just like the female Thor comics debacle.
>>
>>82879699
>ENT at least tried to make their tech and ship look proper for the timeframe.

Yeah, flipping the USS Akira from Star Trek First Contact upside down looked retro as fuck bro

Phase cannons and photonic torpedoes definitely weren't phasers and photon torpedoes. There's no transporters or shields! Except then there were transporters and ARMOR PLATING ticked down as a fucking percentage when the ship got hit by something.
>>
>>82876707
Ironic that The Orville, despite my dislike of Seth McFarlane, looks better than this fuckng shit. It's Star Trek Enterprise 2.0 complete with fuck awful casting, shit set and costume design with little or no color!!!FACT!!!
>>
File: download.jpg (116KB, 850x480px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
116KB, 850x480px
>>82879737
ENT has Jeffery Combs. Between that and the plasma-double barrel shotgun from the pilot, I'm already sold.
>>
>>82879774
What? You don't enjoy actresses that overact every single scene trying to make a name for themselves?
>>
>>82879978
>costume design with little or no color
Mass Effect effect
>>
File: Michael_kenmore_2_.jpg (456KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Michael_kenmore_2_.jpg
456KB, 2560x1440px
>>82878802
>>
>>82877455
>trek without regular new aliens would be lame

this
>>
>>82879941
I said they TRIED. Some of it fell flat, but there was at least an attempt to make the ship underpowered in the first few seasons. They made sure to keep away party gear looking bulky. Somebody took a bare amount of effort to attempt to de-power the tech so it didn't clash so much with TOS.

There weren't super duper high tech hologram pop up screens and slick lighting and ultra badass combat spacesuits and all kinds of shit that look more advanced than even the DS9 era.

This trailer looks like it is set 200 years after TNG.
>>
>>82879979
Has Combs said anything about potentially playing a role in STD?

It would be such a wasted opportunity.
>>
File: 1417302439039.png (260KB, 358x310px) Image search: [Google]
1417302439039.png
260KB, 358x310px
>>82877544
got me
>>
>>82879941
Yeah, but at least the show looked like it was before TOS for the most part. The uniforms in ENT also still uses the colors for different fields or whatever. So then Starfleet abandoned that in STD with no color schemes, and then went back to it 10 years later with TOS?

The EV suit in this trailer looks more advanced than shit they would have had post DS9.

The klingons look stupid and they look more like the Remans from Nemesis than Klingons. That spolier above better be why they look retarded.

This series looks like it's in the JJ universe. It would all make more sense if it was the JJ universe and not the prime one.

>>82879979
Commander Shran is great. I like all of ENT, despite the stupid Temporal Cold War and Xindi attack bullshit.

>>82880124
>This trailer looks like it is set 200 years after TNG

THIS. QUIT MAKING PREQUEL SHIT.
>>
File: dax.jpg (457KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dax.jpg
457KB, 1024x768px
But DS9 did the gay thing 22 years ago.
>>
>It's not like the old Trek I liked!

Old Trek died and went away for a good reason.
>>
>Could have had a Star Trek series set after Romulus is destroyed
>With a now stunned Romulan empire in the brink of collapse
>Klingons eyeing an easy target for conquest
>Fedies divided on whether to send aid or not
>Ferengi profiting
>Breen plotting
>Cardies are there too I guess maybe

But nope, we went for a series set in the 23rd century.
>>
>Star wars is kill
>Star Trek is kill

Is it Babylon 5's time to shine at last?
>>
>>82880224
pretty sure he was confirmed in it wasn't he?
>>
I get the feeling Yeoh is gonna die right away
>>
>>82876707
>Michael Burnham, played by The Walking Dead veteran Sonequa Martin-Green
Someone help me parse this.
>>
It's really shocking that sci-fi writers think having a gay character in a sci-fi show is going to FUCKING BLOW PEOPLES' MINDS. They are making a huge selling point out of it as if sci-fi fans are just going to be agasp like somebody in 1960 watching an interracial kiss or something.

Gay characters are old hat. The only thing shocking about them is when their sexuality gets thrust front and center in an effort to shock the viewer or to teach us a morality lesson we have already watched.

Also, the Asian Lady Captain's delivery of every line was fucking terrible.
>>
File: DAEKbWeU0AAllR5.jpg large.jpg (345KB, 2047x1412px) Image search: [Google]
DAEKbWeU0AAllR5.jpg large.jpg
345KB, 2047x1412px
>>82880248
>The uniforms in ENT also still uses the colors for different fields or whatever. So then Starfleet abandoned that in STD with no color schemes, and then went back to it 10 years later with TOS?

Put your glasses on grandpa.
>>
>>82880470

Why is asian lady head so fucking big?
>>
>>82880435
remember in TNG when the French captain spoke English so well he had a British accent?
>>
>>82880390
First episode is a double episode. I'm guessing she and the Shenzhou don't make it to episode 3.
>>
>>82880470
Are those communicator badges? Muh continuity!
>>
>>82879262

this is the problem of making a modern prequel to a show set in the fucking 1960s

it's Enterprise all over again
>>
>>82880497
At least his Brit accented delivery was good. She sounds like she's sounding out cue cards in a language she doesn't speak.
>>
File: rare quark.jpg (33KB, 418x480px) Image search: [Google]
rare quark.jpg
33KB, 418x480px
>>82880287
The only way it would work is if the Federation gets fucked somehow. Which can totally still be done by a competent writer and showrunner.

by the end of Voyager, Starfleet is the dominant force in basically 3 quadrants. No one could stand up to them. The Romulans had no planet, the Cardies just finished their revolution, the Dominion and Borg were sent reeling, and the Klingons had lost quite a bit of their forces from the various conflicts they got involved in during the events of DS9. Even with all the Federation's loses during the Dominion War, they still came out on top by a large margin. Then Janeway comes back home with her treasure trove from the Delta Quadrant.

The only faction that escaped any sort of setbacks were the Ferengi Which was just as planned

Having the Federation collapse/fracture on from within would need to be a plot point.
>>
>>82879586

>And nobody can adequately explain the clusterfuck that is Generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06WKYFYdlo&feature=youtu.be&t=4m52s
>>
>>82880470
Gold and silver aren't the colors on the uniforms in every other series. Yellow, red, blue. And don't say the gold counts as yellow and that the whole uniform is blue, because that doesn't count and you know it.
>>
File: 1315066112413.png (592KB, 626x683px) Image search: [Google]
1315066112413.png
592KB, 626x683px
>Another Prequel

pass
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAH.png (320KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAH.png
320KB, 1366x768px
>>82880298
>Babylon 5
"SARAH, CLEAR THE ROAD!"
>>
>>82876707
Trek focused on rank-and-file ensign who serves on the federation flagship and goes on away missions and doesn't die when?
>>
/tv/ - altright pussies who cry about literally everything
>>
>>82880603
Colors change. Citation: TOS movies.
>>
File: clarkson.png (67KB, 181x201px) Image search: [Google]
clarkson.png
67KB, 181x201px
>>82877289
>>first Trek character to be openly gay
>Jadzia, Ezri, Mirror-Nerys, possibly Garak, don't count
>Fucking nu-Sulu doesn't count

Who the fuck are they trying to fool?
>>
>>82880700
Bisexual != Gay

Please do not take part in bisexual erasure.
>>
>>82880573
Maybe some evil admirals decide now is the time to establish galactic hegemony and try and launch a coup. And all the hippie captains fight against it or whatever.
>>
>>82880470
I sort of like the uniforms, even though I am disappointed that they don't really fit in continuity.

They will probably grow on me more.

The Klingons are just unacceptable though. I don't care if they aren't ancient, they look like a Xindi offshoot.
>>
>>82880729
I honestly thought they were Xindi before reading the thread.
>>
ITT: we summon William Shatner to come shitpost with us
>>
>>82880517
>Are those communicator badges? Muh continuity!
No, just badges.

They use flipping communicators in the trailer.
>>
File: JJ-Abrams-Insert.jpg (28KB, 300x417px) Image search: [Google]
JJ-Abrams-Insert.jpg
28KB, 300x417px
>>82876707
Everything I hated about JJ Abrams's mess being brought to the serialised version.

Any Star Trek fan stupid enough to waste any money on this does not deserve anything. This is literally the the death of Star Trek happening in real time.
>>
>>82880781
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/864880961711886337
>>
File: 1456205482627.gif (396KB, 400x278px) Image search: [Google]
1456205482627.gif
396KB, 400x278px
Why can't it be fucking set after next gen era?

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
>>
>>82880603
Gold and Silver are the only colors in TMP and the rest of the TOS movies don't give a shit about colors at all

It literally does not matter.
>>
>>82880810
Nobody will use cbs access, just gonna do Asian netflix.
>>
>>82880287
>>82880573

Species 4872 infiltrates the Alpha Quadrant governments and causes a war between the Federation and the Klingons.
>>
>>82880837
Too much baggage, DS9 and Voyager were not popular.
>>
File: 1486014439322.png (292KB, 501x451px) Image search: [Google]
1486014439322.png
292KB, 501x451px
>>82878922
>being upset about diversity in Star Trek
>>
>>82876707
>Watches trailer.

Soooo....is this a series or a movie? Because that trailer really looks like people clearly set a movie "dunn dunn dun dun dunn dunnn!" tone throughout and there's no way they're going to keep that up - and more importantly the fanbases' goodwill going - for 15 hours worth of that type of shit.

>>82880470
Those uniforms are quite good......if they were set after Voyger. Otherwise they seem out of place.
>>
>>82880883
They were great though. If DS9 had toned down some of its camp and Voyager had cast a decent actor apart from Janeway and the Doctor, they'd still be popular today.
>>
File: Murdered.jpg (86KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
Murdered.jpg
86KB, 692x530px
>>82877171
>no Tuvix
murdered
>>
>>82880907

but DS9 /is/ popular today
>>
>>82876707
>The lower ranks are filled out by James Frain as a Vulcan astrophysicist named Sarek

What? Sarek was an ambassador.
>>
>>82880298
Fucking NO, are you stupid?

Either make a new thing or let sleeping dogs lie.
>>
>>82876707
It's sad to know SJW's, trannies and feminist ruined a franchise I liked
>>
>>82880972
Not for his whole life.
>>
>>82880947
The best episodes are, sure. The rest seem like Hercules in space.
>>
>>82881003

>It's sad to know SJW's, trannies and feminist ruined a franchise I liked

Nah, CBS already did that before them.
>>
>>82877790
Source for all of this
>>
>>82880947
Ok, think like a TV executive and not a nerd for a moment. DS9 is popular with a hardcore Trek fanbase, however it's rating were not great and it's wide cultural impact is nil. Like it or not, TV execs want a wide audience. The wide audience knows Captain Kirk and Captain Picard, they know that the Enterprise flies around having crazy adventures and it fight Klingons sometimes. They do not know or care about the details of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor or the political strife caused by Changlings.

Therefore, it is a lot more tempting for an exec to greenlight a puesdo-prequel that they can sell as using the classic Trek formula as normies understand it than it is to greenlight a show set post-DS9 with all the canon baggage.
>>
>>82880573
Weren't the Ferengi joining the Federation Alliance at the end of the Dominion War?
>>
>>82881054
Nigga wut?

You're thinking of 'Andromeda'. Get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>82881119
According to one of the books, yes.
Depends on how much stock you put in beta-canon.
>>
>>82877965
Why has no one responded to this it's the god damn truth. This is just adding more fucking baggage onto an already old and tired franchise. It's not gonna fly with normies
>>
>>82880907
>If DS9 had toned down some of its camp
>DS9
>Camp

DS9 was by far the least campy Trek. It's appeal is literally that it's the darker, edgier, more political Trek.
>>
>>82880899

15 episode series (it's been extended from the 13 it was planned to be)
>>
>>82881164
I might be biased because there's been a ton of Ferengi episodes airing recently but it just felt like every scene Quark was in was campy and he was in virtually every episode.
>>
File: profitandlace_346.jpg (118KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
profitandlace_346.jpg
118KB, 692x530px
>>82881164
it had its share of camp even if it was the darkest trek.
>>
>>82881216
The Ferengi are the comic relief. DS9 is not without camp/fun, but the ratio of camp is a lot less. The overarching themes of the show are about Federation Ideals getting mashed against the reality of dirty political situations.
>>
>>82880899
The uniforms look like they've a bridge between the Enterprise utilitarian jumpsuits and later Trek costumes
>>
>>82876707
sarek wasnt in starfleet tho
>>
>>82881255
It had camp, but it was the least campy Trek.
>>
>>82881119
Not quite. But They were just beginning capitalist renaissance of sorts. Where women were going to be given more rights, as this led to a better ecomony. For example finally being allowed to wear clothes as that meant more money being spent in thier desperation to keep up with fashion and such like things.
No Alliance joining, but certainly well on the way to become close allies.

That's if I just go by main cannon though. No idea what happens in the books/mmorpg.
>>
>>82881003
>It's sad to know SJW's, trannies and feminist ruined a franchise I liked

You are literally beyond parody.
>>
>>82877790
> the klingon with the blackest skin is the most evil
>>
>>82881289
Sarek isn't in Starfleet
>>
>>82881005
He sure as fuck was ten years before TOS, when Spock was Pike's second officer.
>>
>>82881111
Thats fine but how DS9 ended they could've literally had Game of Thrones in space or whatever pleb shit they would come up with. It would've been interesting seeing the power struggle between the cardies and bajorans growing along with the romulans, vulcans and federation.

Something interesting, not this prequel bullshit, noone asked for this.
>>
>>82877939
but doesnt Sarek have years of established history being a diplomat by now? if this is ten years before TOS then Spock should be out an about with Pike, right? or am i confusing my continuity
>>
>>82881363
His character description is "astrophysicist and the Vulcan ambassador to the United Federation of Planets"
>>
>>82881363
How do you know?

>>82881431
Maybe this is the incident which makes him leave the Vulcan Science Corps (which he had pressured Spock into joining) and join the Vulcan Diplomatic Corps.
>>
>>82881414
I don't disagree with you. I think post DS9 in the right hands could be very interesting. I am just explaining why it is a much harder sell to get greenlit than doing the same old Trek formula but updated to be "new and hip for the millennials!"
>>
>>82881327
so this isnt a star fleet vessel? or he is like t'pol
>>
File: 1408987238816.jpg (18KB, 387x364px) Image search: [Google]
1408987238816.jpg
18KB, 387x364px
So why don't the writers have the balls to write a next gen?

Are we never going to see another?
>>
File: thecagehd0103.jpg (137KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thecagehd0103.jpg
137KB, 1440x1080px
>ten years before TOS
>no glorious 1960s raygun gothic retrofuturist technology and comfy uniforms
this is not the future i wanted
>>
>>82880573
The federation nearly dissolved with Maqius insurrection. Why do you think it was such a big deal? The federation certainly hid Sisko's war crimes.
>>
File: KirkChair.jpg (400KB, 829x820px) Image search: [Google]
KirkChair.jpg
400KB, 829x820px
>when you realize TOS is better than TNG because it had less bad seasons
>>
>>82878802
this, with the music and how shiney everything looked i kept thinking "mass effect"
>>
>>82881576
The collars on those uniforms in the pilot looked super comfy.
>>
>>82880868
I'm sorry but this is really stupid
>>
File: sheev-colbert-curb.png (464KB, 650x360px) Image search: [Google]
sheev-colbert-curb.png
464KB, 650x360px
>>82876707
>an “about damn time” moment for a series that has always patted itself on the back for its progressive attitudes
>>
>>82876707
>2017
>still watching Communist Adventures in Space
time to grow up
>>
>>82881611
I thought the same too, and that's why I liked it
>>
>>82876707
>an “about damn time” moment for a series that has always patted itself on the back for its progressive attitude

No, others patted it on the back for it. Because it was.

The thing about "progress", is, y'know, it progresses. For the time the shows where out, they were extremely progressive. Just because you're watching it now doesn't change the historical context.
>>
>>82881606
Hey Shatner
>>
>>82880828
God damnit Bill, we're so much more fun than they are. You've confirmed that you post here, come join our thread instead.
>>
>>82881576
The whole thing looks pretty retrofuturist to me. And that's a problem.

It would be cooler if they attempted to make a future they found plausible in the modern day.
>>
>>82881565
The Next Generation was 30 years ago and was already mildly cringey in it's own time

Bland episodic tv is obsolete
>>
>>82881720
the way the alien in the trailer kept going on about sensing impending death reminded me of what i also sensed shortly before andromeda released.
>>
>>82881606
but Bill, TNG had no bad seasons while season 3 of TOS was garbage.
>>
>>82881767
I really wish this would be good, but it looks awful. The bridge is lifeless and the entire set looks completely cgi. No more comfy living room bridges like in TNG. It has to be metal, shiny and with glass.
>>
>>82881576
>It's nearly absolute zero in deep space better wear a sweater.
>>
>>82881794
First season of TNG was pretty bad except the bug episode.
>>
>>82881803
The bridge on the orville looks well lighted and comfortable.
>>
>>82881803
TNG's ugly beige bridge was like one of the worst things about that show
>>
>>82881832
Still had more good seasons than TOS
>>
>>82881873
Nah it looked great, like it fit the luxury aspect of the Enterprise, it was an exploratory vessel and the design was made to make living comfortable.
>>
>>82881873
A E S T H E T I C S
>>
>>82881873
I liked it, but it was a little too large.
>>
>>82881873
>t. my shit taste
>>
File: TNG bridge.jpg (281KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
TNG bridge.jpg
281KB, 1024x576px
>>82881873
>hating this aesthetic piece of art
>>
>>82876707
Full on JJ Trek. It's not what I wanted from Discovery at all.
>>
>>82881873
what are you even on about? GOAT set contender.
>>
File: 1449948647406.jpg (31KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1449948647406.jpg
31KB, 620x670px
>>82881809
>>
File: 1379844190239.png (57KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1379844190239.png
57KB, 625x626px
>>82880124
>I said they TRIED.

Unlike you. 0/10.
>>
>>82880868
>another giant enemy comes out of nowhere
I prefer >>82880573 's idea
>Having the Federation collapse/fracture on from within would need to be a plot point.
the overarching plot could be them fighting rebels and terrorists only to discover they have a point, that the federation has grown too huge and is no longer faced by any challenges, they no longer have to question themselves and they can enforce their laws dogmatically or hypocritically ignore them without consequence
>>
>>82881832
>the bug episode
>that is never referenced again and is actively avoided except for one flashback
>>
File: 139069567683.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
139069567683.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
>>82876707
>tfw already excited for chink captain and her half black Vulcan first officer as they fly around blowing up Klingons

If we get actual Klingon/Starfleet ship to ship combat, this will already be leagues better than the nu-Trek movies.
>>
>>82882215
>>tfw already excited for chink captain

Michelle Yeoh is cool but I think we've got some kinda bad news for you on that front
>>
>>82882215
>chink captain
She dies in the first episode.

Jason Isaacs is the captain for the rest of the series.
>>
>>82877790
>the really dark skinned Klingon is Molor

"no"

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/864976672025485313

>Light the Fire! Here’s your first look at the Klingons in #StarTrekDiscovery, with @obidon1 as T'Kuvma. #CBSAllAccess
>>
>>82882385
The relationship between T'Kuvma and Molor is the same as the relationship between John Harrison and Khan.
>>
>>82876707
The Seth Macfarlane show looks more interesting than this
>>
>>82882435
Dude this show announced Sarek as a main character ages ago, why would they try to spoiler twist some obscure nerd reference name like Molor
>>
>>82882168
Wait what was the flashback? From the season two clip show?
>>
>>82882505
i beileve so yeah, they show a clip of Riker with the tentacle on the back of his head followed by Picard and Riker shooting Remmick till he explodes like a microwaved hotdog
>>
>>82882597
My mom said she had nightmares when watching that when it originally aired. I was 4 so wasn't allowed to watch it, but I do remember watching the Max Headroom one when it aired. That one still holds a special place in my heart.
>>
>>82882653
i really wouldnt be surprised, i only watched TNG last year after watching TOS and Enterprise growing up and it caught me offguard exactly how brutal it was.
>>
>>82881832
I wish they'd done more episodes with that.
>>
I'm almost worried about the reveal of the Discovery itself.

I'd rather just stick with a ship of the Shenzhou's class than the McQuarrie inspired design at this point unless they've done a serious reworking of it.
>>
>>82881976
Comfy carpet
>>
any plinkett reaction yet?
>>
File: nobully.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
nobully.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
I like the trailer. I looks like a good mix of Enterprise and the reboot movies.
>>
File: 1364009646191.jpg (45KB, 221x221px) Image search: [Google]
1364009646191.jpg
45KB, 221x221px
looks like absolute trash
kill yourself if you defend this abomination

first klingons, now shitting all over Sarek

this train has no fucking brakes, i hope no one subs for this
>>
>>82876707
Why is she in a space suit? Why is another person in a space suit about to attack her with a space axe? This just looks like a dumb action movie.
>>
>>82877937
Unless the show is pure Netflix-original tier trash, it's going to get blockbuster numbers because it's Star Trek while being semi-competent at appealing to large modern demographics
>>
sonequa mai waifu :3
>>
I wanted to see something in the future future of the federation.

I wanted to see new technology.

I wanted to see new weapons.

Now we get a drama lesbian show. I bet the Asian captain dies and the new MAN one is jerk who doesn't get along with the first officer because he's a man.

There will probably be nudity though
>>
>>82883787
So ppl are going to subscribe to CBS streaming just for this?

Are you going to? How much you s it? What other good shows does CBS have right now ?
>>
>>82879262
>Does anybody want to discuss the overabundance of Dutch angles?
THIS. And lens flare. Abrams's sleek filth seeping into my comfy...
>>
This is a star trek thread right?

Where is "dukot did nothing wrong" and "tell me about your sexual organs" at?!??

Not to mention "computer..... disengage safety protocols" and "I recommend a full spread of torpedoes"
>>
>>82878872
>space is 2d
>>
>>82883824
There will not be fucking nudity dude this is CBS we're talking about here.
>>
>>82883870
Yes, yes, dunno, dunno if any at all
>>
>>82883870
People will watch the pilot and then wonder why it isn't on Netflix. CBS has no confidence in the show, which is why they pushed it to a paid service.
>>
>>82883969
Back 2 Reddit please
>>
I was reading the YouTube comments and someone said when TNG came out fans didn't like it?

How can this be true??
>>
what is so quintessential to the cbs primetime line up that a high budget sci fi show cant dislodge exactly?
>>
>>82884094
>cbs has no confidence so they hide it in a corner where it will definitely be a loss
are business execs retarded
>>
>>82884136
>I was reading the YouTube comments and someone said when TNG came out fans didn't like it?
>How can this be true??

Because with the exception of "Measure of a Man", the first Borg episode, and the one where the aliens take over Star Fleet, the first 2 seasons of TNG was total shit.

Even the uniforms looks fucked up.
>>
>>82884136
those first 3 seasons are rough.
>>
>>82879262
I liek the uniforms
I mean TNG uniforms will always be the most comfy, but u know, I got goggles. I'm as much with this guy >>82881576

as I'm okay with this weird thing we got now. I think the lesson here in Star Trek is that you have to give it room to grow. Season 1 of ds9, TNG, Voy, Ent were all really shakey things.
>>
File: 1494441815440.jpg (174KB, 700x632px) Image search: [Google]
1494441815440.jpg
174KB, 700x632px
At least Enterprise wont be the worst of the franchise anymore right? Right?
>>
>>82884286
voyager was worse than Enterprise
>>
File: Trip_Tucker,_2154.jpg (25KB, 483x479px) Image search: [Google]
Trip_Tucker,_2154.jpg
25KB, 483x479px
>>82884286
Ent was never the worst. Ent was very near the best with some nasty wounds that crippled it before it really got a chance to fight. Trip Tucker is the greatest single character of all of televised Star Trek.
>>
>>82884356
>voyager was worse than Enterprise

You guys are nuts. Voyager had some real shit episodes, but overall it was better than Ent.

Most people can't even name a bunch of great Ent episodes. But any Trek fan can throw off a bunch of great Voyager eps.
>>
>>82876707
Oh look, female ching chong and black in the command. How progressive.
>>
>>82884368
He WAS in his underwear a lot and I did enjoy that.
>>
File: Harry_Kim,_2371.jpg (15KB, 325x396px) Image search: [Google]
Harry_Kim,_2371.jpg
15KB, 325x396px
Why no more Harry Kim is a duplicate postings? What happened?
>>
>>82884427
Voyager had some great episodes but overall it was disappointing. Enterprise didn't have any memorable episodes, but overall it was decent and fun.
>>
>>82877289
It is if you're insufferable
>>
>>82884427
The whole of ENT was memorable. It was well written, it had great development, it had some gorgeous scenery, and T'Pol, Archer, Tucker, Reed, Travis, Hoshi, and Phlox is second only to TNG's Androids, Klingons, Frakes and Patrick fucking Stewart earl grey hot as a memorable crew. If the cast and writers were put on the concept for VOY and the Voyager ship, it would have been 10/10 best Trek.

They just got cut short, with nasty unfair time slot issues and ratings expectations that were too high that forced them to go down weird paths on attempts to improve ratings (every underwear scene, ever), and their pre-federation aesthetic choice gave people the itches. They also had this lingering time-travel plot that took way too long to die.
>>
>>82884094
>CBS has no confidence in the show, which is why they pushed it to a paid service.

The put it on a paid service because they're confident that it will make people pay for that service to view it

They just extended it from 13 episodes to 15. "Make more episodes" isn't a vote of no confidence.
>>
>>82884136
First season TNG is rough as hell and the character dynamic was nothing like TOS (or the movie)

It was jarring, dorky and had a bunch of episodes that played like TOS scripts that had been pulled out of a trashcan.
>>
>>82884821
No one will pay for this.
>>
>>82884955

Wrong. (I'm paying for Netflix)
>>
>>82877214
SO ANNOYED. Fucking bastards. Do it when it makes sense. Fuck these cunts for ruining star trek I'm enraged.
>>
>>82876707

Klingons look like Kangz
>>
>>82883787
>Unless the show is pure Netflix-original tier trash

It won't even reach that. Nobody even likes the trailer. it's DOA.
>>
>>82884286
TNG >= DS9 > TOS > ENT > VOY > JJ Abrahms
>>
>>82884857
isnt that cause they were? i remember reading or watching something somewhere about how after Roddenbery was forced to step down they finally got the freedom to do what they wanted, which is why TNG gets exponentially better past season 3
>>
>>82883824
but anon, that would actually mean that they would have to get competent writers to invent all the new tech, they are taking the easier more profitable short term that is route now
>>
>>82877214
>Does anyone else get annoyed by this?

No. You want to know why? Here's why: the founding members of the Federation are stated in TOS to be Earth, Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, and Alpha Centauri. Enterprise later canonized that Alpha Centauri was an Earth colony world; Centaurans are not a separate species. Seeing as Alpha Centauri is an actual star located about 4.5 light years from Earth, you'd think that it would play a really damn important role in the series, right? Or at least that we'd hear a lot about it in background material?

Yeah, you'd think that. Go on and tell me every canon thing you know about Alpha Centauri in the Star Trek universe.

For that matter, Tellarites are a founding species of the Federation. Tell me every canon thing you know about Tellarites.

Now compare that to what we know about Cardassians, or Bajorans, or - since those two are kind of unfair seeing as we had an entire series more-or-less based around them - Klingons or Romulans, or Vulcans.

There is a HUGE dearth of knowledge about things close to Earth in canon Star Trek already. So the idea that there are species that we haven't met yet even though this is a prequel series? Not a mental obstacle for me.

...seriously, though, I want to know more about Alpha Centauri.
>>
>>82884819
Thank you for sticking up for my favorite show.
>>
>>82884974
No one in America will pay for this
>>
>>82880573
Byron Singer had a pitch for this story. Noo joke. Set 100 years or more after VOY it would of focused on a descent of Kirk's (who of course doesn't find out until later) who rallies together a rag tag crew and steals a STATE OF TEH ART federation ship. Their mission, try and restore the Ferderation, which has become complacent and corrupt now.
Ferengi would be the dominating force in the galaxy due to the resurgence of Capitalism in a big way, and the Federation corruption.

No joke, read the pitch.

Actually not that bad compared to this shit we're getting.
>>
>>82876707
Wait, it's been a prequel all along?
>>
>>82884819
Enterprise wasnt that great. That's not to say that it was trash, which it wasn't, but it wasn't anything to write home about either. It did some great worldbuilding but the Xindi arc was complete trash, and even though they finally came into their own in Season 4 the damage was finally done and it was canned. Plus there are a lot of people who are STILL pissed about the ending with Frakes.

I personally think In A Mirror, Darkly was one of the best Trek episodes of them all and I'll fight anyone who disagrees with me.
>>
File: 1489725669106.gif (2MB, 280x240px) Image search: [Google]
1489725669106.gif
2MB, 280x240px
>>82876707
>TOS states there has never been a female starship captain up to that point
>set ten years before TOS
>TWO female captains
>one is a chingachongachong ah speaka no engrish
>lens flare
>cheap looking shots and set
>DUDE DUTCH ANGLES LMAO
>Klingons look like niggers
>Mass Effect aliens

Stop.
>>
>>82885493
>TWO female captains
wheres the second one, the only captain is the chink. The black lady main character is just the first officer
>>
>>82885493
>feeling the need to canonize every thing ever uttered in TOS, "The Shatner fights a man in a lizard suit on the planet of only women" version of Trek

opinion discarded
>>
The tech and the look of trek always changes with the decade the show or movie is produced. Of course it's going to look more futuristic than the previous editions.
>>
>>82876707
the trailer has 1.5+ million views in less than a single night

show interest is too high for this to fail
>>
>>82885547

If you think she won't make captain before the end of S1, you're smart because you realize this show will be cancelled before S1 ends.

>>82885563
>it's not canon because it interferes with my delicate feelings

I'd hate to see how you react to Data's cat changing genders between TNG and the movies.
>>
>>82885371
Imagine the level of brain damage you'd have to have to think that fanfic level trash seems like a remotely good idea just because you hate women and minorities
>>
File: erika_hernandez.jpg (37KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
erika_hernandez.jpg
37KB, 620x350px
>>82885493
>giving one absolute shit about 50 year old continuity
>>
>>82879979
Weyoun was so much better.
>>
This trailer looks fucking horrible. Feeble, weak, old, stolid, regurgitated, retrograde, overlit tripe.
>>
>>82880470
these uniforms look straight outta macross.
>>
Video is unavailable

Help me out
>>
>>82883969
Nobody probably feels the need to post those things since the trailer of discovery doesn't resemble actual star trek. So this is not a star trek thread.
>>
>>82886098
https://streamable.com/pmp54
>>
Having the acronym be STD is really unfortunate.
>>
>>82880598
I can't make it 2 minutes in because of this guys fucking stupid impersonation.
>>
>>82886112
>starfleet doesn't fire first
>WE HAVE TO

wow, fuck you bitch
>>
>>82886168
# Firing First is Sometimes Okay
# Worf Did Nothing Wrong
>>
>>82880686
the second ToS movie also completely replaced the uniforms from the previous because they were so bad.
The only reason they could even change the outfits and no one would get mad is because it was pre-existing characters
but this is a whole new cast.
It doesn't look anything like any star trek uniform ever.
>>
>>82880268
Trill aren't gay, they're gender-neutral poly-amorous pansexuals
>>
>>82877214
I just wish we saw more half n' half people and fish people from TOS and TNG as the series went on man :(
>>
>>82880883
DS9 was popular, it just waned it's popularity towards the end.
Voyager was "not popular" and enterprise was flat out "unpopular"
>>
>>82886168
she dindu nuffin wrong
>>
>>82879586
>And nobody can adequately explain the clusterfuck that is Generations.

Generations is even better when you know they shot some scenes with a third, unique to the movie uniform then ended up cutting them.
>>
>>82886203
They look like the Enterprise uniforms except not like something mechanics would wear anymore
>>
>>82876707
Jesus tittyfucking christ this looks abominable
>>
>>82886269
DS9 was (mostly rightfully) very well liked by everyone who watched it, that just wasn't a high amount of people. It had no mainstream penetration compared to even bombs like Voyager and Enterprise.

No DS9 blu-rays ever
>>
>>82884554
cause he's not a duplicate
He's harry kim
there were just 2 kims for a bit.
But he was literally THE kim that existed before that episode, and THE kim that existed afterwards.
Voyager split into left voyager, and right voyager (like twix)
they're exactly the same.
They're both kim.
>>
So is this set in the newniverse?

Does it happen after Nero's ship arrives?
>>
>>82881453
Do you even remember the episode wheee sarek had to organise those negotiations for 90 years? I find it impossibly difficult to believe that sarek was involved in any way with star fleet at all
>>
>>82885598
First ep will be great ratings
then everyone will be like "wait, I have to pay 24 bucks for this?" and bail.
>>
>>82886351
It has JJ aesthetics, unfortunately, but it's set in the non-JJ universe.
>>
>>82876707
Did they forget about Sulu's boyfriend from the last movie?
The director didn't let you forget because he kept showing him every 10 minutes.
>>
>>82886392
>but it's set in the non-JJ universe

So this canonically happens between Bakula Archer and Shatner Kirk?

I'm a lot more skeptical about this show than I was five minutes ago
>>
>>82885565

Since the pitch for the show boils down to "This happened BEFORE TOS!", it would have been nice to emphasize that with the prop and set design.
I don't expect a TOS-like wall of blinking lights and buttons, but blue LED touchscreens do not make me think of a time period "10 years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise"
>>
I look forward to them going rogue and Section 31 erasing them from Starfleet's records in the end, and that's why we've never heard of this crew before
>>
>>82881753
Retro futurism is "everything looks like it walked off the cover of a 50s sci-fi comic book"; what we got is DUDE APPLE PRODUCTS IN SPACE LMAO.
>>
File: Androids 2.jpg (1MB, 1200x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Androids 2.jpg
1MB, 1200x1680px
>>82886476
>>
>>82886314
by that you mean they're blue?
cause the actual asthetic looks nothing alike.
also, what the fuck is up with what they're wearing in general.
A zipper up the middle and some sort of wrap around collar, with excessive designs, random patches of vinyl, and sleeves that are way too tight to be useful.
and then pockets too low to be regular pants pockets, so you have to slightly bend or slouch to get at them?
>>
Lets look at the positives - NO FUCKING HIJAB WEARING WEARING MUSLIMS
>>
>>82876707
Well unlike all of you, I'm excited because I know the trailer is clickbait and the show itself will actually be good
>>
>>82886531
>also, what the fuck is up with what they're wearing in general.
The average normie would do nothing but laugh at vintage sci-fi so they basically just designed a contemporary "futuristic spaceship" uniform whilst taking maybe one design cue each from ENT and TOS.

>>82886643
Speaking of bait...
>>
I'll stick with classic redpilled TNG/DS9, thank you very much.
>>
>>82886643

>the trailer is bland clickbait
>that means the show will be great

How exactly does one follow from the other?
>>
>>82881721
WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY
>>
>>82886699
Like the new Power Rangers.

The trailer is flashy and shows all the least interesting parts because that's what the hyperactive kiddies want.

Then they save the actual content for once you've already paid
>>
>spock first vulcan in starfleet, serves as a science officer.
>Big deal because he's the first vulcan in the fleet
JUST KIDDING
>T'pol first vulcan to serve Starfleet as science officer
>big deal with the vulcans because she's the first vulcan to serve in... I mean help out Starfleet
>Serves Starfleet, not serves IN starfleet
>SHE'S NOT OFFICIALLY IN STARFLEET GUYS SO IT'S OK
lol, just kidding
>Sarek, Vulcan serving on a starfleet ship as Astrophysicist
>TOTALLY NOT A SCIENCE OFFICER GUYS
>what?
>He's not a science officer and totally not in starfleet
Good job shitting all over Spocks "first vulcan in Starfleet" character plotline assholes
>>
>>82886772
Fuck Spock and his special snowflake bullshit

Also this one is clearly half-vulcan, so it doesn't count
>>
>>82886799
>Also this one is clearly half-vulcan, so it doesn't count
It's Sarek, he's 100% Vulcan.
>>
>>82886835
The hologram guy?
>>
>>82886843
Yep.
>>
>>82886772
when did T'Pol join starfleet? I thought she was always just on loan from the Vulcan Science people. And technically you counterproved your own point about the IN vs WORKED WITH argument.

Sarek being on Discovery is downright retarded though and it does not sit well with me.
>>
>>82886853
He's not real, he's like the EMH
>>
>>82886727

That is a pretty bold theory. I guess we'll have to wait and see whether it proves to be true.
Though even if it's true, the fact that they're seeing "hyperactive kiddies" as their main audience does not bode well.
>>
Man, I don't even watch TV anymore. I hope it's shit so I don't have to watch it.
>>
>>82886857
At the end, once it was discovered she had mind-meld AIDS she was dismissed from the Vulcan command and given a Starfleet position
>>
>>82886857
Sarek isn't on the Discovery.
>>
>>82886878
Still doesn't count because the NX-01 wasn't a Federation starship
>>
>DUDE OUR SHIP IS A COOL AWESOME EDGY PROTOTYPE WITH AN "X" IN THE SERIAL AND THE NUMBER 00 OR 01 OR SOME SHIT
>>
So who is this show marketed towards?
Startrek was always for nerdy basement dwelling science fiction teenage boys and manchildren, like myself.
We wanted to follow kirk around the galaxy learning from him and the crew, maybe even one day being the kind of man he was
We wanted to have a father figure like Picard
We were supposed to want to be Riker, fucking his way through the galaxy
We wanted to fuck all the hot bitches in the show
We like robots, Data was neat
Ds9 was shitty because we had nobody to relate to, it was just an interesting (hah) story
We were supposed to want to be like Paris, a hot shot rebel who was a mary sue pilot
We were supposed to want to have a mother figure like Janeway (which failed because that is a concept lost on teenage fanboys and manchildren, so they just gave us fapping material with Seven)

Who the fuck are we supposed to relate to in this.
The captain? Minor character and the actor always plays assholes so is probably going to get killed off in the first season finally.
The asian captain?
The black asshole lead who can only play cunts?
The muslim looking guy?
The gay guy?
>>
>>82886929
>shitposting
>with that many buzzwords
anon at least craft your shitposts so that they can be bait. this is just sad
>>
>>82876707
>number 1 on trending with only 1 million views
Man that isn't paid promotion or anything, like the rest of youtubes "trending" page
>>
>>82886900
>>82886878
>>82886857
The point is she was Spock
She was Spock in Enterprise but with a bunch of half assed bullshit reasons why she wasn't in Starfleet to pretend like they didn't just make a female spock.
>>
>>82880573
>>82885371
>muh grim dark

You can fuck right off. Roddenberry did write an ending of sorts for the Federation when the genetically modified supermen take over and this was turned into a tv series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_(TV_series)
>>
>>82886961
>waah the truth hurts my feelings so i'll call it a shitpost
>>
Even when Star Trek /tv/ threads get ridiculous, they're still some of the best threads. I think it's because all the Trekdads actually bring the bantzz
>>
File: 1493603757161.png (349KB, 448x436px) Image search: [Google]
1493603757161.png
349KB, 448x436px
>>82887034
>>
File: gold-star-clipart-1-830x793.jpg (136KB, 830x793px) Image search: [Google]
gold-star-clipart-1-830x793.jpg
136KB, 830x793px
>>82887024
there you go anon, youre learning! here have a gold star for being such a good boy
>>
>>82886960

>Ds9 was shitty because we had nobody to relate to

What about O'Brien?
>>
>>82887049
Aww, still bootyblasted because your favorite trash got called out?
>>
>>82886960
>Startrek was always for nerdy basement dwelling science fiction teenage boys and manchildren, like myself.
Star Trek TOS was for everyone, including women. It only exists because it appealed to Lucille Ball's personal tastes so she gave it the green light. She bankrupted her studio giving it the chance she thought it deserved. It was saved from cancellation twice thanks to letter-writing campaigns spearheaded by women. Horny women who also spearheaded fanzines where they wrote and shared Kirk/Spock slash fiction. Women have always been a part of the Star Trek fandom since the very beginning. Fuck off with your /pol/ historical revisionism.
>>
>>82887051
O'Brien got an asian wife, cute daughter and had a best friend who he indirectly admitted to loving in a manly way

I can't relate to that
>>
>Years of dark hallways being a sign of evil aliens
>Now everything is dark
What did they mean by that?
>>
>>82886900
Strictly speaking, unless the Enterprise was decomissioned before it was on its way back to earth (not likely) there was a Vulcan Starfleet officer before the ink was dry on the fucking starfleet charter.

This is also backed up in non-canon sources; T'Pol stays in and makes captain before leaving in 2186.
>>
>>82887191
And why is everything tilted? I'm worried that someone is going to slip and fall down.
>>
>>82886960
>The muslim looking guy?

Who?
>>
File: michelle[1].jpg (30KB, 648x369px) Image search: [Google]
michelle[1].jpg
30KB, 648x369px
>>82876707
>Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou of the starship Shenzhou
cool
>>
>>82887311
She dies in the first episode. Jason Isaacs is the captain after she bites the dust.
>>
File: star-trek-discovery[1].jpg (41KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-discovery[1].jpg
41KB, 670x377px
>What did (((((they))))) mean by this?
>>
NEW

>>82887336

NEW

>>82887336

NEW

>>82887336

NEW

>>82887336
>>
>>82887342
They shot on location in Jordan in order to encourage the Jordanian government to continue building that upcoming Star Trek theme park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Sea_Astrarium
>>
seriously are there no writers that say, okay after voyager this is what's going to happen in the star trek universe.
but nooooooooooooooo, they want to go back in time. didn't they learn their lesson from enterprise?
the fuck man.
it's like they're afraid to move forward.
>>
>>82885951
At that point there is no starfleet so if she retired/died before the formation of the federation than there was never a starfleet female captain. Its the same way that the original enterprise (archer's) doesn't "count" as one of the enterprise series of ships.
>>
>>82887463
ENT has Starfleet in the first episode.
>>
File: mirror darkly.jpg (202KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
mirror darkly.jpg
202KB, 1000x563px
>>82879699
>The tech is WAY more advanced looking than TOS
This
It's totally canon, from both the point of view of people from the 2160s to the late 2300s, that 2260s technology and asthetics look tacky and weird as fuck
Making the 2250s look sleek and shiny is fucking retarded
>>
File: Nutted Dan.jpg (213KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
Nutted Dan.jpg
213KB, 1440x810px
>>82880837
>Lenny of Nine
>>
File: Kelvin_bridge_officer_1.jpg (71KB, 336x377px) Image search: [Google]
Kelvin_bridge_officer_1.jpg
71KB, 336x377px
HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES WILL STARFLEET CHANGE THE UNIFORMS IN A SPAN OF 10 YEARS?
>>
>>82886960
>Ds9 was shitty because we had nobody to relate to
as a black nerd i call DS9 Dad Space 9 because black dad meme irl
>>
>>82885200
Roddenberry was insane. His step down was what saved TNG
>>
>>82886343
lel
>>
>>82887905
They can make uniforms and most everything else out of thin air. To them changing uniforms is like downloading an mp3 for us.
>>
>>82888696
You wouldn't download a shuttlecraft.
>>
>>82885394
>but the Xindi arc was complete trash
What a garbage opinion from a garbage person
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.