[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you do if you were in his situation? You can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 269
Thread images: 27

File: image.jpg (289KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289KB, 800x800px
What would you do if you were in his situation?
You can't just hide away on your own because then all of the others could get infected and eventually gang up on you and escape into the world.
>>
I'd teach it how to love
>>
Burn everyone and everything
>>
>>82835694
This desu. The fate of every living creature is at stake.
>>
visit the barber
>>
>>82835767
>not liking the long hair plus beard combo
>>
>>82835767
cutting hair could be fatal in middle of snow
>>
File: 1494912026585.jpg (27KB, 640x314px) Image search: [Google]
1494912026585.jpg
27KB, 640x314px
Freak the fuck out. Kill everybody. Suicide and write a note or something about what happened here.
>>
he (Mac) was the thing, he tricked everyone into blowing up the camp so he could freeze.

this is fact to anyone with common sense.
>>
In a stressful situation, anything can be the truth.
>>
>>82836348
The only time window in which we don't follow him and he might have gotten infected without us knowing is while he was out freezing.
Right after that he takes a test, which seems to work since it reveals at least one under disguise thing.
Other than a few (You)s disproving you, what else do you get out of making false statements so arrogantly?
>>
>>82836348
Childs was probably the Thing. Also this is one of the greatest films ever made.
>>
>>82836790
Mac(thing) succeeded in surviving by tricking the humans into blowing up the camp. if you and others can't see it like that i'm so sorry for you.

mac and or childs are things. sorry to break it to you.

>>82836905
i think Mac is but was never sure about childs
>>
>>82836952
Don't mind me, just responding so you will again waste time repeating what you said, providing no evidence to back your opinion.
>>
>the narrative is about killing all of the monsters pretending to be your friends
>teenagers 40 years in the future think it's actually about how Macready was a Thing the whole time
??????? Stop making these threads worse.
>>
I would have just killed them all, honestly.
>>
>>82837200
mac(thing) was rounding them all up to change.
thing cant change dead tissue.

"not that thing, it wants to freeze"
>exactly
>>
File: 1479405542366.png (781KB, 968x758px) Image search: [Google]
1479405542366.png
781KB, 968x758px
Every single cell of the thing is autonomous and can infect any living matter in moments. Unless Mac could have called in a decent sized nuclear strike right on their heads, anything he did was pointless. At least some amount would freeze and be found again and probably introduced into the wider world eventually which is a global game over.
I guess try to run and hope that by some tiny chance someone out in the middle of nowhere will find me before I freeze. Better than becoming part of the biomass I guess.
>>
>>82837438
>mac(thing) was rounding them all up to change.
>thing cant change dead tissue.
Is this supposed to make sense? Put some effort dammit.
>>
>>82835567
Implying I care what happens to the world.
>>
>>82837579
i think i spoonfed you enough.
if you can't figure the rest out for yourself, i'm sorry.
>>
>>82835567
In his position I can't imagine doing things any differently.

He didn't understand the full extent of the danger like Blair did when he flipped out and tried to tear the whole place up, and didn't really grasp it until Fuchs showed him what Blair had found out. He held out for survival until the last possible minute when he had to just accept that it's either him or the human race.
>>
>>82836261
>Suicide and write a note
in this order, I guess
>>
File: Thing.png (19KB, 522x347px) Image search: [Google]
Thing.png
19KB, 522x347px
>>82835567
>>
>>82835567
None would do better than what he did.
I would shit myself and yell "no guyz pls no" seeing Childs swinging an axe and yelling I am a dead man.

I wonder instead, what Ripley would have done here, or McReady in the Nostromo...
>>
>>82837904
Also, would they like each other? Is there some fanfiction with them in love? Does the whole thing involve flame throwers?
>>
>>82837904
>McReady in the Nostromo
he would have dumped whiskey drink into the PSU
>>
>>82835567
You know the scene when everyone is tied and he does the blood test? Well, burn them all and let God short them out.
>>
>>82837904
>I wonder instead, what Ripley would have done here
Ripley wouldn't have let the dog in, or would have bitched and moaned about putting the dog in the kennel right away which would have revealed the thing faster.
>>
>>82837944
You know, I am definitely overthinking it(reaching reddit levels of overanalyzing), but what was the scene where he pours whiskey in his PC, supposed to establish. That he is a hardcore motherfucker? That he prefers to the opponent with him when he is about to lose or soemthing?
>>
Why'd they blow up the base again? They did the blood tests and found out who and who wasn't the thing. Didn't all they have to do next was find and kill Blair?
>>
>>82835694
Exactly. Should have burned everyone in the room then killed himself
>>
>>82838089
Are we talking post original Alien Ripley? If not she probably wouldn't have suspected the dog.
>>
>>82838120
It means that he will don't accept to lose, at the cost to burning everything.
Is foreshadowing.
>>
>>82838143
The thing broke the generator to kill them all so they used the fuel to burn the thing.
>>
>>82838211
Yes, original Ripley. She was all about following rules and protocol and would have assumed there was something wrong with the dog and wouldn't let it in, or she wouldn't want it roaming around for as long as it did.
>>
>>82837442

Nogger the thing wasnt made of titanium, it cant even infect you through your skin. If its like literally any other parasitic organism, which it is, it cannot survive outside of a host body.
>>
>>82838224
Also, that is a smart guy with a coat of badass.
He is smart (dude smart people play chess!) and he recognise that the computer is cheating.
Then his action-man element triggers and he just pour alcohol in the CPU.
In one scene you show that McReady shows disinterest and plays dumb (takes Norwegians for Swedes) but is actually calculating, a good observer, and absolutely determinate and ruthless when acting.
You see all of this later in the movie.

This used to happen when people gave a shit about writing.
>>
>>82836952

if mac AND childs are both things, why would they have a conversation when they're both part of the same collective consciousness?

childs is a thing, and mac isn't
>>
>>82837829
https://clyp.it/5pbvvotr
>>
>>82838349

You write like a 12 year old who's first language isn't english. Put some effort into your grammar you fucking mongol
>>
>>82838279
Original Ripley is for me Alien and Aliens.
She would have a sweet spot for the dogs, but the rules say that the dog must stay with the others.
So, less chance to infect, but unaivodable dog-thing. Also, Ripley is vulnerable because she will pet the dog.

Also, her Ripley is added to the team, or we just have her and McReady switching roles?
>>
>>82838413
Fuck you, asshole. I am writing hiding from people, is enough how I wrote all of that.
I bet you only know one language.
>>
>>82838372

The thing isnt a hive mind, it doesn't know who is human or who is a thing any more than the humans did.

The sharing of the liquor was to see if childs was afraid to drink it, which is why macready laughed when childs didnt give a fuck.
>>
Have sex with everything on the base.
>>
https://youtu.be/QAoONl2P8fw
>>
>>82838224
Yeah that's what I was thinking, but it didn't come out the way I wanted.
>>82838143
Blair blew the generator out. On the conditions they were in, they would probably freeze and that's what the thing wanted, according to Mac, to freeze and wait until someone else found it. So they decided to kill, burn it/blow it up even if it meant they would die too.
>>
>>82838372
I don't think they were both the thing, but the thing isn't a collective consciousness, each separate part acts in order to preserve itself.

Otherwise thing blood wouldn't react to the heat of the needle and would sacrifice itself in order to preserve the rest of the thing.
>>
>>82838480

Learn proper english or fuck off you pajeet
>>
>>82838526

if the thing isn't a hivemind and childs and mac are things, why wouldn't one just immediatley kill the other?
>>
>>82838385
u absolute madman
>>
>>82835767
then his ears and face would be cold
>>
>>82838424
She's clearly a cat person.

But that aside, had the dog not been wandering around it wouldn't have infected that one guy who then infected others. If Ripley were in charge the dog would have gone straight to the kennel where it would have been revealed as a thing (since the other dogs sensed it wasn't a real dog). It would have prevented a lot of infection.

Her sticking to protocol outweighs everything though. She probably liked Kane but that didn't mean she wanted him on the ship when he was "contaminated" too.

This is assuming either scenario of her being on the team or switching with McReady, it doesn't quite matter for this. Nobody would have protested the dog being put in the kennel, at the very least. I still think Ripley wouldn't have let the dog in due to potential contamination (I would have assumed it had rabies or something), but either way the only one to protest would have been the kennel keeper and he'd easily be out-voted since nobody else really cared about the dog but him.
>>
>>82838565
You cannot avoid shitting on a good thread to vent your frustration, you poor little piece of shit?
I am not even a pajeet.
Did an indian just stole your job, poor bastard?
Stai zitto ed evita di postare, pezzo di merda.
>>
>>82836790

Wrong. There is an unseen time lapse of two whole days contained in the film, during which (or at least in the immediate vicinity of this time-frame) any number of things can and must have happened in order to set up the endgame.

Somehow, a big pile of FINAL-FORM Blair-Thing biomass came to be.

Somehow, Blair got Thing'd.

A figure appears behind Fuchs. Somehow, Fuchs was immolated.

Somehow, someone (Blair-Thing) fucked with Mac's stuff/left his shack light on.

Norris and Palmer got Thing'd. One of these is most likely to have been the party responsible for the "second pair" of long-johns found in the trash, which Mac reports on tape.

In my personal view, here is the single most plausible explanation for all of this.

The PILE of thing-stuff which was burned and buried AGAIN, re-animated YET AGAIN during the storm, being just warm enough to reconstitute itself during the storm. We already know perfectly well that previously burned Thing-carcasses can reanimate, so this just follows suit. One might object about the extreme cold, but this is the best way to explain all the biomass of FINAL FORM Blair-thing. This pile of shit Thing'd Blair outside as the next easiest target, and around the same time got busy tunnelling, hence Blair's "funny noises". Once Blair was thing'd it (small blair-thing) immediately set about scavenging parts for the small saucer. It was the figure that passed by Fuchs in the night, busy looking for more parts, but it decided to simply burn Fuchs, having accidentally aroused Fuchs' attention, since it knew that more Things were present inside and could basically run interference on the humans while Blair thing concentrated on completing the saucer (if it could do so in time). In the original short story, Blair-Thing is described as having been within a very short time frame (minutes, hours) of completing its own escape mechanism-a jet pack.

Also IMO Norris corners and Things Palmer while both are still trusted group members.
>>
Kill everyone in their sleep who hasnt been killed already.Without blowing up the facility

Grab bottle of alcohol and play chess on computer until help arrives.

Maybe do blood test before leaving
>>
>>82838531
this gets me every time.
>>
>>82838702
>She's clearly a cat person.
true, maybe would make a difference for her
>>
>>82838938
Aren't the original sources of infection TWO?
One is the dog, that is blasted with the flamer, but "something" escapes (through the roof), unless I got the scene wrong.
Before that, the dog-thing infects AT LEAST Palmer, probably Norris too. At that point, they are enough to mess with long-johns and whatnot.
One of them will fuck Blair. Blair is not infected when he goes crazy, but what happens to him is what he feared the most.

The other initial thing is the defrosted-thing, that one gets Bennings.
>>
There is one thing I would have done different.

After getting the Bennings-Thing surrounded and defeated in the snow, I would have tried to interrogate it, see if it can actually speak as a Thing. If it doesn't work, then destroy the fucker.

Probably wouldn't have made any difference, but worth a try at least.
>>
>>82839266
>Giving the thing a chance to attempt something crazy to save itself
>>
File: THE THING.png (478KB, 2144x2476px) Image search: [Google]
THE THING.png
478KB, 2144x2476px
>>82839194

And this multiplicity of infection vectors, all the DIFFERENT things, bodies, carcasses involved in the story....

THAT is the reason why I made this image. Feel free to skip the large middle (prequel) bit and focus on 1982 (bottom) for an accounting of all such Things.

I don't agree that any meaningful part of the Dog-Thing pile actually manages to escape through the ceiling. There was clearly a mass of cornered stuff which was simply trying to get away, but it was simply cornered in the top corner of the kennel and didn't actually get out.
>>
File: 132154513564.gif (466KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
132154513564.gif
466KB, 320x240px
>>82837731
I guess I'm the Thing
>>
>>82838938
>Wrong
After the test, we follow Mac everywhere. The test works, so before the test, Mac doesn't get infected. Since we follow him everywhere after the test, he doesn't get infected after it either. So Mac is not infected. It's not that hard. What's wrong about that?
>We already know perfectly well that previously burned Thing-carcasses can reanimate
Am I missing something? When is this implied/seen?
>>
>>82836952
If mac was the thing why'd he blow up the boss thing at the end?
>>
>>82838702
Kane literally had an alien life form on his face. The dog just looked like a dog, and not in a million years would anyone of guessed it was a shape shifting extra terrestrial. The only thing that might have happened, is someone ask why those guys were trying to kill that dog.
>>
>>82839560
>The only thing that might have happened, is someone ask why those guys were trying to kill that dog.
That's kind of the point, and an important one at that. The reasonable assumption to make would be that the dog was sick (I brought up rabies, but it could be any number of things), and they should have immediately quarantined it rather than letting it wander around and then sticking it with the other dogs.
>>
>>82838349
>and he recognise that the computer is cheating
Pretty sure that he was just pissed off at losing. Had nothing to do with the computer cheating.
>>
>>82839392

You may have me confused with another anon who you were talking to. The long post is the first post I made in the thread.

I wasn't taking issue with the "mac is or is not a Thing" point. What I was taking issue with is the assertion that that the film only loses track of Mac at one particular, relevant point, which is what this post literally says, >>82836790 , and which is in any event, clearly false-though now I understand your thing that you're arguing with the other guy (and now with me sorta)- a bit better.

You're taking the blood test as one-hundred percent proof-positive of who's who, which I also strongly incline towards. So what you were really saying in the above post is that the two-day gap I referred to is irrelevant because it happened before the blood test, which works. Is that about right?

Even if this is all true, it's still also true that we lose track of Mac between the dynamite throw and the exterior shots of the explosion. For all we know some thing-goop got on him between then and coming to the surface, and somehow a matching outfit was handy somewher,e though admittedly the latter does stretch credulity. The point is that we don't know, even taking the blood test as an absolute-fact point.

Strictly speaking, we lose track of every character every frame in which they (or their doppelganger) are not in the frame.

I do strongly incline towards the reliability of the test and that Mac was human at least up until the very endgame, but I didn't like how your thing was worded and I didn't initially understand what you meant in your post, I just reacted to the literal (and false) implication contained within it on this one point.
>>
>>82839359
BURN IT, MACREADY!
>>
>>82839392

Also to your latter question it is perfectly clear that the Norwegian base carcass had been recently burned (the smoke coming off it dramatically at many points). Mac also verbally establishes same (they burned it up in a hurry). Same thing reanimates and gets Bennings, at the very least.

This makes the creature more terrifying, the more you think about it. We have this idea that "fire will kill it", but not even FIRE really does so-it merely slows it down...

And now there's Thing-Shit spread all over the continent. If you're a global warming believer, god help us all if the continent ever melts...

Interestingly, the exact same fear-idea applies to The Blob.
>>
>>82839602
You could be right, that's a plausible interpretation.
Do we possess sufficient data and/or sufficient autism to extrapolate the validity of the computer moves in the film?
>>
File: 1392815474618.jpg (109KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
1392815474618.jpg
109KB, 425x425px
>>82837442
>Every single cell of the thing is autonomous and can infect any living matter in moments.
Are you parroting about a movie you didn't watch, or are you just retarded?
>>
>>82839334
Look here, after 3:59
I could be wrong, but that could be something crawling, and moving upward.
After all, why show the ceiling being crushed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4bz63cTfO4
>>
>>82839909

Yes. In particular, there are at least two frames which clearly establish that two completely different game-states are supposed to be within a move or two of each other, which is (I'm going out on a limb but just to glance at the frames it looks like I'm right) literally impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2R-K0vl94s

The point being that Carpenter doesn't seem to have been too careful about his chess game, he just wanted the illustration.

Other sci-fi kino which incorporate chess games (Blade Runner, 2001) were more careful, being based in actual games. We never get a really good look at the board in Blade Runner, but it's (there is some dispute about this but still) the "immortal game". And there's a wiki for the 2001 game.

I don't have a blu-ray of 2001 but you might actually be able to make out the deets of that game in the frames if you zoom (my old DVD is unhelpful on this point):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poole_versus_HAL_9000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_Game

Since I"m going full autist I'd also like to point out that the sci-fi flick π has extended discussion of Go. Sol leaves the protagonist a pretty spiral pattern (a theme of the narrative) on his board toward the end.

It's also worth mentioning that Kubrick was an avid chess player, and is seen playing chess and berating Shelly Duvall in daughter Vivian's (making the) Shining documentary film. Moreover, Vivian is the one who plays Heywood's daughter on the (heh) skype-chat in 2001.
>>
>>82835567
>You can't just hide away on your own because then all of the others could get infected and eventually gang up on you and escape into the world.

You act as if this wasn't the case.
They literally did everything wrong even after knowing the Thing could assimilate and disguise itself as an human they still do stupid shit, and they are suppose to be "researchers" yet they were dumb as fuck.

It really makes me think if any of you even watched this movie at all and not just parroting /tv/ memes about being the "best thing ever"
The only thing it has going on for it are the visuals, it looks amazing.
>>
File: 1392559196155.jpg (37KB, 640x490px) Image search: [Google]
1392559196155.jpg
37KB, 640x490px
>>82840349
>and they are suppose to be "researchers" yet they were dumb as fuck.
>being rational when you know anyone who isn't you could well be a shape shifting Alien abomination
>that will kill you in horrifying ways and then use you like a meat puppet to murder your friends
>and will cause the apocalypse should it ever get free

I don't have enough fedoras in the world for this, so I'll just tell you to read Rule 2 and fuck off.
>>
>>82839266
>not forcing it to transform into a cute girl and then fucking it into submission
weak
>>
>>82840349
>Humans must behave in a precise and logical fashion, even in the face of life threatening danger

The film is a fairly believable representation of how a group of researchers deal with an unknown threat like the thing. Being smart is no guarantee of behaving intelligently under pressure, particularly the pressure of imminent death and flesh puppetry.
>>
>>82840471
Literally all the had to do was to stick together yet they not only go wonder alone by themselves once but they still do that shit even when there are multiple casualties and even near the end of the movie they are still doing that shit, "oh guys lets go check on the crazy doc, but you nigger you stay here lmao what could happen if you stay here all alone anyways"
You're juts too dumb for your own good and lack any survival instinct.
>>
>>82840557
also it's not like sticking together for a few days waiting for the survival crew would literally kill them like the Thing does, they have been living in that place for what would one assume has been months, but I guess sticking together in the same room for a few days would be worse than getting kileld by the Thing.
>>
File: 1401187481689.png (426KB, 800x608px) Image search: [Google]
1401187481689.png
426KB, 800x608px
>>82840557
>why aren't people acting rationally, like I certainly would due to my superior intellect, in a movie about exploring paranoia, terror and isolation?
Global rule 2: You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.
>>
>>82840328
Thanks anon!
>>
Oh and literally the last casualty of the movie was caused because he wandered alone without bothering to tell the other guy IN THE SAME ROOM that he saw something.
>>
>>82835567
I think that realistically, like if something like that actually happened IRL, people would be concerned with self preservation over trying to prevent the thing from escaping.
>>
>>82840667
People are literally forced to stay together after a certain point, Blair excluded. But things escalate in a way that is almost useless, the biggest damage has been already done.
>>
>>82835567
Is the thing the only horror movie where none of the characters does anything stupid yet they all get fucked?
>>
>>82835567

I'd buy the Thing a first class ticket to a major city. Humanity deserves it.
>>
>>82841194
>characters does anything stupid

What about the dogs guy.
>>
>>82840349
>they have fancy degrees and specific careers so they physically cannot panic

They panic first thing, that's the whole point of the film.
>>
>>82840635
By the time they realized how the Thing operated, it already had entered their group. Sticking together would be just as much of a deathtrap as everything else they did.
>>
>>82841750
Even my 9 years old kid could tell they were doing dumb shit, they have no excuse. I guess if they weren't to do stupid shit there wouldn't have a movie.
>>82841785
Except when they did the blood test, it shows that sticking together was a good decision and they only fucked up by leaving the doc be by itself.
>>
>>82835567
Ask it to turn into a beautiful women so I can be assimilated while fucking it and have the best orgasm of my life right before I'm assimilated
>>
>>82841333
>What about the dogs guy.
Well, he didn't get infected and he didn't know about the thing when he took care of the dog.
>>
>>82841855
Yeah, he just got himself killed, not stupid at all.
>>
>>82835694
What type of idiot are you? You know you're not infected so just kill everyone and everything and then safely steal away yourself.
>>
>>82841836
>they have no excuse
They saw a dog turn into a horrifying monster in front of their eyes, they eventually realise they are trapped with a creature that has the capacity to perfectly mimic any living being and an unknown number of infected in their number.

Their lives and humanity itself are directly placed in jeopardy. People do not behave well under pressure as a rule, intellectuals are not immune to this.
>>
>>82839987
Every cell of it is a self contained part of it so he's not at all bonkers.
>>
>>82841836
>when they did the blood test
Well AFTER they dissected and analyzed the Thing.
>>
>>82842020
>they are all in danger
>therefore they all should panic and act irrationally

It's not like it was just one day you know, the movie happens in the span of several day.
They had enough time to calm themselves down and formulate a plan, you know like we human always do in times of need?
>>
File: ThingGame.png (1MB, 3710x1198px) Image search: [Google]
ThingGame.png
1MB, 3710x1198px
A musing on the chess game, expanding on above: >>82840716

The boards make no sense next to each other. Maybe Carpenter/editors edited together some raw footage of the "same game" somehow, in a goofy way?
>>
>>82842101
They found out how the Thing works almost after they find it.
>>
>>82841836
>>82840349
They are not that dumb. They don't do anything Prometheus-tier, and they stick together and are quite ruthless, especially MacReady, when shit hits the fan.
The point is that most of the stuff that happens, happens when they have no idea of how bad it is.
Only Blair realises that before the others, and the revelation drives him mad.
You literally watched another movie.
Off yourselves.

>>82840021
I agree, there is "something"
>>
>>82842155
They didn't do the blood test until halfway through the film, and it was established early on that the stored blood samples were sabotaged before they had the idea to use them.
>>
>>82835567
Well I'm a millennial so first I would kill myself because fuck everybody else.
>>
>>82842130
I see, is on of those games in /tg/ in which 3 queens enter in deepstrike.
Thanks, based anon!
>>
>>82842109
And they do calm down and formulate a plan, they go on the offensive, develop a method for identifying the thing and try to combat it.

That doesn't mean they're infallible
>>
>>82842197
But they still knew that the Thing assimilates and disguises itself very early on, even before the blood test was mentioned, they only thought of the blood test after everything went wrong.
>>
>>82836952
then why even fight the blob thing at the end, if all he thought was left was him and it, why not just join it or let it do it's work and absorb him and go about freezing the base the way it wanted? one thing would never fight another, would it? even taking the prequel example of joel's character helping mew at the end of the film, we are lead to think he is infected because he is missing an earring and didn't know which side it was on when asked about it, pretty much confirms he was infected yet he didn't fire on the blob thing in that film to help mew, he only aided her in leading the way out so he could infect her later or use her to get back to another base. The blobs cover was blown but not his own. mac thought everyone was dead or at least missing and implied to be dead or thinged at the end so why would he fight the blob?
>>
>>82841836
It's the prometheus shit all over again.

Listen dummy, NASA'S scientist, Dozens of them, said that there was no way Foam could damage several inches thick metal and tile. They looked at the video and said, that foam did nothing. They debated and reasoned the foam did nothing. Now this is both men and women with several degrees who reasoned that eighteen pounds of foam could not harm an area of a hull that was several thousand pounds. The assigned investigator along with several of these scientist, many of them engineers for a great many years watched the recreation of the foam test. Foam shattered the hull, and they all gasped. It was so audible. A high School Physics teacher and another guy with less degrees then they had, never better. To their credit, one of their scientist went apeshit and screamed that the shuttle was doomed. No one listened. As it turns out, with enough force, a pound of foam could break you in half.
>>
>>82837944
Massive kek
>>
>>82842367
Guess nobody at NASA ever hit a dog with their car.
>>
>>82842130

This makes even less sense when you realize that in the initial screen, /white is in check/. By later context, presumably Mac is white, and yet the computer reports that Mac's (white?) bishop (there are no white bishops on the first board!!) moves, while the computer moves its own (black?!) knight somehow.

One could go on.
>>
so how did it get into the blood without the key or damaging the lock again?
>>
>>82838531
Underrated
>>
>>82835567
turn 360
>>
>>82842675
You can hear Window drop the keys when he runs off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Z44BIDPPc
>>
File: 1494709987688.jpg (35KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
1494709987688.jpg
35KB, 570x570px
>>82843032
I never noticed that before. ty anon
>>
File: gary-busey-evicted.jpg (101KB, 560x800px) Image search: [Google]
gary-busey-evicted.jpg
101KB, 560x800px
>>82842967
>mfw the icy surface makes moonwalking away possible even for an uncoordinated klutz like me
>>
>>82843154
(not him)
Is less common than you could expect! Many didn't, even after repeated viewings!
>>
>>82840720
Some people are like that. Nauls didn't seem like much of a thinker either, more of just a guy who'd act on a whim
>>
File: 1491852171514.png (154KB, 460x374px) Image search: [Google]
1491852171514.png
154KB, 460x374px
>>82838531
That angry NOOT NOOT for the "Fuck you!" gets me every time, god damn
>>
Why does everyone say "infected"? The thing eats your and then morphs into you. It's not you're a zombie now, you don't exist any more
>>
>>82843305

I certainly didn't, until someone pointed it out in a previous thread about a month ago. Oh, sure, the noise and its place in the story registered instantly, I KNEW they were there in another sense, but...

I have some pushbacks on this very good and credible theory though. specifically how Garry visibly turns over his keys to the others as the group of five confer outside just after boarding up Blair. Surely Garry would have noticed a wrong/improper/bogus looking set of keys on his person?

Another great thing about the shots of the blood bank discovery itself are how you're not ABSOLUTELY SURE between feet-and-voice in the initial frame, as to who's who. But then in the next shot, all in one continuous motion, you have STEADY VISUAL CONFIRMATION OF ALL REMAINING TEN TEAM MEMBERS (Bennings dead, Blair locked up). Once I knew to look for this I really appreciated the cinematography of that one shot. Everyone is present and accounted for, all in one fluid, yet opaque and rapid, motion.

t. autistic longposter
>>
>>82843529

That is exactly right, and it's why in an above post, I prefer the admittedly clumsy word "kill-fection", which suggests above all that the person being imitated is really, totally dead.

Nevertheless, the thing does behave like a virus, and is encountered and explained by doctors and men of science, so in a grappling for understanding, "infection" is the first go-to point. But yes, of course you're right, contact with it kills the person being imitated.
>>
I don't know why people debate this ending so much.

Childs is a Thing. MacReady is not. When Childs drinks from the bottle of what is supposed to be Scotch MacReady laughs to himself. He's laughing because the bottle contains gasoline, which the Thing can't tell the difference between it and Scotch. If Childs had been human he would have spit it out.

The Thing doesn't kill MacReady because there is no point in doing so. He is not being hostile and will die shortly from exposure. The Thing will go back into stasis and wait for its next opportunity to escape Antarctica.

MacReady doesn't attempt to kill The Thing because he knows he is in no shape to do so and could actually make the situation worse if he tried.

The film ends with a stalemate.
>>
>>82843771
>Bottle contains gasoline
Prove it
>>
>>82843771

I really like this theory but how do you know the bottle contains gasoline?
>>
>>82843906

Not that guy but it is clearly visually established in the demolition sequence that molotov cocktails have been improvised and are being used to destroy the camp. It is thus perfectly valid for the attentive viewer to infer that the bottle proffered to Childs

The breath thing is pure bullshit for multiple reasons (mainly because you can actually see Childs' breath for one, and also because you can quite dramatically see that of Bennings-Thing), but the bottle-gasoline idea actually does hold water once you look at it and think about it.

Basically there's actually reasons that make sense in context about the bottle-gasoline idea. This isn't the case for all theories.
>>
>>82838594
in case it lost the fight

why would it risk it?
>>
>>82843771
Why can't the thing tell the difference?
>>
>>82842451
Some of the most educated people you'd find are literally clueless out in the real world. Quants of Wallstreet spends hours a day using out of touch financial instruments that not at all predicts what will happen to the markets a day from now. They're quite adept at predicting where the market went long after its gone there. Regular people only see their equations and hear their gobbledygook and immediately listens to whatever. Even if they're almost always wrong.
>>
>>82835610
fpbp
>>
>>82843771
Didn't McReady have some fuel left in the flamethrower?
>>
>>82838413
>Put some effort into your grammar you fucking mongol
>who's

Irony.
>>
all right god-damnit, autistic longposter here. It's been some months coming but here it is.

I'm going to watch it all the way through, in the dark. I invite other anons to watch in parallel with me or unless someone streams or some shit.

I still relish how the dog's chest-gunshot triggered a normie friend years ago, kek
>>
>>82843771
but, if the thing were a perfect imitation, it would have most certainly detected the gasoline. I feel the greater proof was that Childs simply drank it. The real Child's was easily the most paranoid of the bunch, but his acceptance of the whiskey contradicts this, hence Mac's little chuckle at the end
>>
>>82835694
>implying fire would really kill the "THING"

always made me laugh
>>
>>82845606

First impression: THE VERY FIRST LINE OF DIALOGUE IN THE FILM IS DELIVERED BY AN OTHERWISE INCONSEQUENTIAL, YET UNMISTAKABLY FEMALE VOICE (the above chess sequence which I've autistically dissected).

I thought that the Childs/others exchange about the Norwegian chopper might have come earlier but this isn't the case.

This "first line is a female voice" is a commonality with 2001.
>>
id probably just light up some weed and be like "fuck it babe"

im a pretty cool guy
>>
File: Screenshot 07.png (828KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 07.png
828KB, 1440x1080px
>>82838531
I thought this one was removed from youtube?
>>
>>82846361
Can't tell if bait
>>
>>82838938
Are you sure it was two days instead of a week?
>>
>>82843771
don't forget that childs was sucking on a spliff that palmer handed to him, they were roomates.
>>
>>82847070

Yes. More spefically, an interval of roughly 48 hours is involved. A week would be ridiculous.
>>
>>82847462

Which just lends credence to the better theory that it was Norris who was Thing'd first, and not Palmer. Further, it makes more sense to suppose that Palmer was Thing'd during the unseen 48-hour interval which has just been under discussion.

Remember that both norris and palmer were along for the second flight out, to the saucer...
>>
>>82847542
i don't recall palmer going to see, i remember norris, nauls, mac.

if i remember right, doggo got palmer first (before being put into kennel), if you look at the shadow
profile, more specific the hair...it seems like palmer
>>
>>82844067
It also helps that the theme kicks in when Childs drinks from the bottle, which makes it feel meaningful and kind of ominous.
>>
>>82840635
>waiting for the survival crew
they have to kill it before the survival crew comes otherwise the thing has access to transportation and can infect the rest of the world
>>
>>82847733
They used a random set crewmember because they didn't want to reveal who the thing was
>>
>people think the Thing infects you just by touching you

it has to drag you away and make a copy of your body
>>
>people overanalyzing if Childs was a thing

Please, stop.

Is it possible? Yes.

Was Carpenter and crew smart enough to put in small things like continuity of molotov cocktails implying Childs drank gasoline?

No. It's just a happenstance of filming.

For all we know, both are things or even MacReady is -- there's nothing to presume he isn't just because he's the protag.

I'm never a fan of film theories.
>>
>>82841974
how would you know your infected? the thing would be aware that if it knew, with your mind integrated, youd kill yourself/it. so it makes sense that the thing wouldnt know itself is a thing
>>
>>82848033
How do we even know the bottle had gasoline in it? And people keep talking about the lack of visible breath from Childs while they're talking, which is complete bullshit because you can clearly see it.
>>
>>82848062
there is no "infection", the Thing just drags you in and tries to make a perfect copy of you while leaving the original you dissolved
>>
>>82839602
thats sorta the point as well, mac is the kinda guy who refuses to lose, even if it ends up with the destruction of whatever. hence the ending, he refuses to lose, so he pours booze into the computer/torches the entire fucking camp
>>
>>82845921
fire is very effective against it because it shows that the Thing is afraid getting burn
>>
>>82838526
Nope. Why would Macready be carrying a bottle of liquor around for no reason while trying to kill The Thing? It was one of the Molotovs that he had earlier (notice that he never drank any of it himself). He gave it to Childs to see if he would notice that it wasn't actually alcohol. Childs drank the fuel and didn't notice that it wasn't liquor, which is why Macready laughed. He realized that Childs was The Thing, but there was nothing he could do about it.
>>
>>82843529
probably because we are so used to zombies and stuff. most of us get that it isn't the real person anymore, they are dead and it is just using the outward appearance of that person to spread itself. infected just comes to mind because of how it spreads
>>
File: clark-thething.jpg (200KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
clark-thething.jpg
200KB, 700x700px
ITT: "villians" that did nothing wrong
>>
>>82848199
Pretty sure the gasoline idea was something either carpenter or russell talked about at later points in time during interviews as possible ways the scene "could" have gone but it was never something directly hinted at in the movie itself. Just fans running with ideas from behind the scenes info as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>82848033

You are making the mistake of placing too much importance on the possibility of authorial intent.

The point is not to hold first and foremost, at all times, what the author(s) might have meant. The point is to confront the work on its own merits, and to interpret it in interesting and valid ways. This is not meant to condone or to excuse nonsense, but simply to correctly point out that it is quite valid to interpret a work in a certain way which an artist may not even have intended in the course of the creation of the work. Happily, many artists understand and are willing to go along with this view, though it does undermine authorship.
>>
>>82845921
Fire cleanses all, brother. But really they'd need a huge fucking autoclave in order to kill us.
>>
>>82842367
Wasn't it true that the NASA folks on the ground mostly knew or suspected that the foam probably did damage, but the STS was so ass backwards that A: the crew could not do an EVA and had no mechanism to check for damage, and B: they would have had to bust their asses to MAYBE get Atlantis ready for an accelerated rescue launch. So they just said "welp, why tell them and cause undue stress about the possible danger on reentry."
>>
File: Norris.jpg (135KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
Norris.jpg
135KB, 1920x800px
Poor Norris ;_;
>>
>>82849384
>>82842367
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suniiico7z4
>>
>>82849662

https://arstechnica.com/science/2016/02/the-audacious-rescue-plan-that-might-have-saved-space-shuttle-columbia/

Even back then you'd think a simple, lightweight drone could have been kept in the cargo bay, equipped with little RCS jets and a couple cameras. And to have no backup shuttle at least mostly prepped for launch seems short sighted and speaks of the excessive time these vehicles needed to be made flight ready.
>>
>>82850067
What a shame. It was a good crew. What a rotten way to die.
>>
>>82836348
no.
>>
Childs is the Thing. He's wearing a different coat at the end with McCready than he was when he burned the Thing with a flamethrower. Same with the fact that they show McCready's breath but not Child's.
>>
>>82839560

If you're in the middle of the fucking Antarctic and you see a dog being chased by a helicopter and a dude with a rifle your first assumption is not going to be "aw it's just a normal dog, I'm going to treat it like a pet and give it all the roaming freedom of a pet."

Shit dude even if I wasn't in the Arctic and there wasn't two dudes with guns chasing it I still wouldn't let a strange dog I found on the street immediately start roaming my house.
>>
>>82850593
>Same with the fact that they show McCready's breath but not Child's.

Wrong, you can see Childs' breath.
>>
>>82850759
Watched the scene again you're right. Still doesn't answer why Child's changed jackets given that he wears the same white coat throughout the film until he disappears till the end. The last time we see him before the switch is when he's face to face with the thing.
>>
>>82850759
Even if Child's breath is visible although barely, they're in sub zero temperatures. We can't chalk McCready's visible breath to better lighting and Child's to poor angles. They should both be fucking freezing
>>
>>82850812
>Still doesn't answer why Child's changed jackets

True, but we'll never know if this was an intentional or unintentional continuity error.
>>
I was certain Macready was the thing until he did the test with the blood. The real opportunity for Macready to make it out alive would've been to torch everyone when they were all outside with Bennings screaming. That is the moment that Macready should have killed them all, including himself afterwards.
>>
>>82842367

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
>>
>John Carpenter’s The Thing is quite similar in its ontological scheme to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The motivations of the Thing are the same as those of the Body Snatchers—to survive and reproduce. Only its method is different, which results in a somewhat greater degree of uncanniness in this film than in the earlier one. Because the title creature has the ability to remake itself as any and all life forms without their knowledge, the characters in the film cannot be sure who is a “thing” and who is not, since those who are transmuted retain their former appearance, memories, and behaviors even after they have become, in their essence, uncanny monstrosities from another world. This situation leaves the members of an Antarctic research station—in the vicinity of which the Thing’s spacecraft crash-landed long ago—doubtful about which of them is a thing and which are still the individuals they seem to be. Naturally, those at the Antarctic station are invested in repressing any consciousness that they are things, just as those who witness someone in the midst of an epileptic seizure are invested in thinking they are not things of parts that are made as they are made and are all clockwork processes rather than immutable beings unchanging at their heart. By isolation (putting this possibility out of their minds), the latter can maintain their sense of being idealized beings, integral and undivided, and not mechanisms—human puppets who do not know themselves as such.
>>
>>82843771
>the bottle contains gasoline,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP74Ic1k_bk
>>
sperging over the ending is only natural but kinda missing the point IMO

mccready can never be certain about anyone's authenticity ever again

he can't ever risk leaving the base because he can't be 100% sure how the thing works or what being a "thing" feels like

and even if he goes down with the ship the people who come looking for the researchers will wake it right back up. there's no happy ending to be had
>>
>>82850753
Maybe they had cabin fever and were mad with rage trying to hunt the poor pup for meat, you animal. . .
>>
>>82839683
>>82839850
Yeah that's what I was saying. Maybe by the end Mac could have been infected. But to be honest I don't believe that burned carcass can reanimate. That's what I thought too when I saw the carcass from the Norwegian base reanimate, "not even fire can kill it, we are doomed", however I want to believe that it wasn't properly burned and some part of it were still alive. For example, when they burned all the carcass in a gasoline pool, I think they were done with this carcass after that.
But generally, I agree that in the ending scene it's implied that none, one or both of them might be infected(the possibility of both not being more possible than the others). I just personally (like to) think Mac wasn't...
>>
>>82854290
your typing style is so weird, bro
>>
>>82838531
Fucking brilliant
>>
>>82843154
Watch Windows when Gary and Copper are arguing about the keys, he knows he fucked up. It's why he runs off.
>>
Saw a comment on youtube explaining how Childs comes with the flamethrower turned off when he meets MacReady at the end even though he was the most paranoied. Seems like it's more proof that he really is the Thing.
>>
>>82850593
The fact that he's wearing a different coat is more indicative that he's human.
The Thing doesn't make fuck ups like that.
>>
File: Untitleda.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitleda.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>82844067
>>82843906
Here's a picture of them, it's hard to tell if these are the same bottles in the final scene, but if you look closely you can see the green glass reflecting a tiny bit of light. They are the same bottle. The moltov theory is definitely my favorite, when you watch the scene again with all this in mind it seems so obvious because of how MacReady acts immediately after Childs takes a sip.
>>
>>82835567
Honestly, I'd probably blow my brains out.
Pretty much nothing can match the thing for sheer horror.
>>
>>82851793
>By isolation (putting this possibility out of their minds), the latter can maintain their sense of being idealized beings, integral and undivided, and not mechanisms—human puppets who do not know themselves as such.

This is very good. Thomas Ligotti, googling.
Nice.
>>
In terms of continuity, clothing is extremely important. No one changes costumes except Blair after he's infected, where he's without his coat implying the Thing's resistance to colder temperatures.

The Thing also adapts. Don't forget it shreds McCready's leggings on top of someone else's as a red herring. It also never changes out of costume after attacking the guys individually. So the question is why Child's would be out of custome at the the of the film unless his coat was damaged in the tussle with the Thing; because it doesn't get rid of the host's clothes as to maintain inconspicuousness. The same thing is seen with Child's. You only see his breath at the end closer to after McCready hands him the drink, which makes it look like the Thing was adapting McCready's mannerisms. And we already know it can resist the cold thanks to Blair's imitation.
>>
>>82835567
Very hard to answer cause it's really an impossible situation to deal with.
But if i don't get totally frozen by fear, i'd probably just burn everyone and everything, as it's been said before.

Btw i always get the same pleasure seeing a Thing thread in here. It has become one of the most fun threads to see in 4chan. Thank you bros.
>>
>>82855292
Yeah i'd probably do the same. It's kinda odd that no one actually does it in the film. Even in the prequel/remake.
>>
>>82835694
Yeah because that worked so well in the movie
>>
>>82838531
Purest form of art.
>>
>>82858303
They didn't burn everyone and everything, they originally tried to isolate the thing.
Burning everything with impunity would work if you got everyone at once
>>
Thread theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT7AH4JyuNs
>>
>>82858287
In the Norwegian base there was a guy who cut his wrists. They had the scene in the prequel, but it was cute.
>>
>>82860084
>it was cute
Cut*
>>
>>82838531
This is fucking brilliant
>>
>>82835567

I'd definitely have flamed the other guy. Even if I didn't know for sure that he was the Thing, I'd know that /I/ wasn't, and really why take the risk? We're both going to die of exposure pretty soon anyway.
>>
>>82858386
>with impunity

I don't think this word means what you think it means.
>>
>>82852345

He can't leave the base period, they have no way out and since the base itself is fucked, he's certain to die soon anyway.
>>
>>82855222
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP74Ic1k_bk

BTFO
>>
File: 1494617728904.png (56KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1494617728904.png
56KB, 256x256px
So was the 2011 Prequel any good? I don't expect it to be anywhere close to the 1982 Thing but is it worth watching at the least with that in mind?
>>
>>82835767

nigga, Kurt had the best mane of the 80's
>>
>>82861477
Exactly.

ITT People complicating things which were never designed to that degree, but people will always look.
>>
This movie is awesome but it's always kind of frustrated me. As soon as they figured out the rules of the movie, they should have stayed together in a group and never split up.
>>
>>82848256
Except for Palmer.
>>
>>82838531
Always great.
>>
>>82838532
>Blair blew the generator out
Well hang on a minute. The generator wasn't just broken:
>the generator's gone Mac
>any way we can fix it?
>it's GONE, Mac
The thing straight up ripped it out and pulled it underground.
Which means the thing had already transformed into the giant thing we see in the climax. The Blair-thing couldn't have done it, wouldn't have had the strength on his own. And we see the Blair-thing hasn't yet transformed when he kills Garry. I don't think we see Blair again after that?
Which means there were two things in the climax. We saw the giant thing get blown to pieces, but Mac survived. Did the Blair-thing survive too? Maybe the Blair-thing took out Garry, took out the cook whatshisface, then escaped to make certain that even if the giant thing was blown up he would survive to be frozen. And still disguised in human form too.
Has this theory ever been discussed? That even if Childs was still human, and Mac was still human, Blair was unaccounted for?
>>
>>82839602
Exactly this
How fucking underage do you have to be to think the computer was actually cheating, instead of macready obviously just being a sore loser.
>>
>>82840021
I mean, we know the dog-thing survives in some form because the final giant thing in the climax sprouts a dog's head. They euthanized all the dogs immediately after the dog scene didn't they? Or was there a gap (even if there was, I assume a dog-thing would defend itself if anyone tried to euthanize it, so they can't have been infected).
So the original dog-thing must have survived and merged with the final form thing to be seen again at the end. Although I might be misremembering.
>>
>>82842130
Most likely a continuity thing. Was it even a real chess game or a mockup?
If it was a real chess game they would have had to play the game through to get the shots they wanted. This might have taken several games to do, hence the discrepancy.
But I figure it's not a real game because who ever heard of a chess game with a robo lady voicover. So it's a pretty big fuckup in a film which pays a lot of attention to its continuity. But it's such a minor part of the whole thing it might have been seen to hardly matter.
>>
>>82845606
Enjoy anon, it's a cracking flick.
Hope you've avoided most of the plot spoilers.
>>
>>82865811
Watch the video. They burn it immediately after, but a small part detaches and flees through the roof.
>>
>>82860084
>>82860106
Nice freudian slip here
Hot for cold blonds?
>>
Sheeeiiit new point about Blair.

He wears glasses in every scene, yet when he kills Garry he no longer wears them. Broken when he was thingified?
Which would mean he wasn't the thing when Macready visited him in the toolshed. But I wonder how the thing had time to dig down and build the spaceship under the toolshed if Blair wasn't assimilated early on. Perhaps the surviving dog-thing dug beneath the ice to build the saucer, then burrowed upwards to get directly into the toolshed and attack Blair?
When Macready visits Blair in the shed Blair tells him he hears "noises". Could this be the sound of the dog-thing building the ship under the shed?
>>
>>82867933
it may have discarded the glasses because the jig was up at that point, and there was no point in keeping them
>>
>>82865134
I always just assumed a thing could return to its dormant form after assimilation. That's what I think happened with Blair-thing and Gary
>>
>>82835694
>hey, anon wants to kill us all! he must be trying to make sure he's the only one to get rescued!
>>
>>82838531
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amdK30
this was better in every aspect
>>
>>82869254
majestic
>>
>>82867933

Nice. A new thought:

The glasses discovered next fo Fuchs' remains are not Fuchs', but Blair's, now Blair-Thing. This strengthens my view that Blair-Thing kills Fuchs, one way or the other.
>>
File: 1481505769793.jpg (52KB, 617x464px) Image search: [Google]
1481505769793.jpg
52KB, 617x464px
i love The Thing threads and I love The Thing, so fucking much
>>
>>82870834
Me too, fellow human!
>>
>>82870834
That's what an imitation would say
>>
>>82871928
Nonsense. We are all humans here, no reason to think otherwise
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 567x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 567x358px
>>82873405
>>
>>82873449
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>82870834
>>82870933
>>82873405
You gotta be fucking kidding
>>
>>82873667
BURN IT MAC
>>
File: FUCKYOU.gif (818KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKYOU.gif
818KB, 300x169px
>>82870933
>>82873405
>>82873564
>>82873667
>>
>>82835567

Go get drunk in my shed.
>>
>>82870933
>>82873405
WINDOWS BLAST HIM!!
>>
>>82867933
But when was blair absorbed in the first place?
I refuse to think it was when he had the breakdown. That would have been counter-productive.
Palmer or Norris (or the detached dog-thing) got him when he was isolated...
>>
>>82865811
>I mean, we know the dog-thing survives in some form because the final giant thing in the climax sprouts a dog's head
fuck you are right
Also, tangentially.. before being killed, the biggest dog-thing shows very human-like blue eyes.
And the previous camp was full of nordic Norwegians.
>>
>>82843771
>He's laughing because the bottle contains gasoline

How the fuck is this stupid meme still alive?
>>
>>82844278
It can. Unless Childs enjoyed a nightcap of petrol before he was assimilated, there's no reason why it wouldn't taste gasoline like anyone could, and go off of Child's memories and biological instincts to know people don't drink that shit.
>>
>>82865134
Something that always bothered me about this. What does it matter if the generator can be fixed if you've already blown the base to smithereens. The base is fucked after all the dynamite and molotovs.

If they went to the generator room first, realized it was completely gone, knew they were fucked and then decided to blow it all up, it'd make sense, but it seems really out of order in the movie to blow it all up and then wonder if you could have fixed the generator and avoided it all in the first place. Like, what if it was just a fuse or you forgot to put a new drum of gas in because you were preoccupied and it was an easy fix? Doesn't matter if your first act is leveling the place.
>>
>>82839987
He's right though.
>>
>>82876908
But are you still "alive" while your a "thing"?
>>
>>82849251
>The point is to confront the work on its own merits, and to interpret it in interesting and valid ways.
ok but claiming Mac fed Childs gasoline at the end isn't valid since the movie gives no indication of this
>>
>>82877445
can't be if every cell is it's own creature then there's nothing left of whatever it has assimilated
>>
>>82843529
it's a virus anon what do they do toward anything that they attack
>>
>>82862214
They trashed the god tier practical effects for CGI halfway through production, but yeah it's decent and sets up the plot for the 1982 version well.
>>
>>82856476
highly recommend that book

it forms the basis for a lot of Rust's philosophy in True Detective season one. what's his name even got accused of plagiarism for lifting passages verbatim
>>
>>82838480
>/tv/ - Television & Film
I am top secret u son of basterd bich
>>
>tfw Windows was in love with Palmer
>>
File: The_Thing_(2002_Game).jpg (40KB, 380x509px) Image search: [Google]
The_Thing_(2002_Game).jpg
40KB, 380x509px
REMINDER: The video game is the canon sequel.

Neither Childs nor MacReady were things. Childs dies of hypothermia, MacReady doesn't show up until the final boss fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUUmILXecvU
>>
>>82842130
The only explanation I need is that she is, indeed, a cheating bitch.
>>
>>82880793
but then why did Mac laugh?
>>
>>82849022
>Shot while cuddling infected dog
>Get kisses and licks from infected dog later
>Not infected
Fucking horse shit.

>>82835694
This. I would be, sorry fucks, humanity is at stake, and roast everyone. Then roast everything. Then burn myself.
>>
>>82881880
Relieved to be alive, and that someone else still is too I suppose. People usually have a stress release like that after going through a harrowing ordeal. Like adjusting a pressure valve so your pipes don't burst.
>>
>>82860084
Oh that's right. I mean, it would have made sense to show someone actually do it. Windows could have done it for example.
>>
Imagine being a human and being assimilated
>>
>>82882696
>Imagine being a human
>>
File: uhhhh.png (73KB, 241x328px) Image search: [Google]
uhhhh.png
73KB, 241x328px
>>82882696
>Imagine being a human
>>
Friendly reminder The Thing doesn't make sense, John sacrificed a lot of logic and continuity in order to create paranoia/isolation terror.
>>
>not letting The Thing assimilate you
for what purpose
>>
>>82884826
FUCK YOU TOO
>>
File: 1493430380073.gif (2MB, 159x146px) Image search: [Google]
1493430380073.gif
2MB, 159x146px
>>82882696
>>
>>82884561
Shitty convoluted reproductive strategy aside, how so?
>>
>>82884901
There are at least 2 or 3 timestamps and possibilities for ever major event and assimilation, when you watch the movie it doesn't strike you right away, but go to IMDB FAQ about the film and it's fucking madness, it's a literal puzzle that can't be solved, the fact no one managed in 35 years is a testament to that.

P.S. It's still one of my favorite films ever.
>>
I have a question, since a single cell from the Thing is enough to assimilate you and since the body from the Norwegian base was still an active Thing (the dog too for that matter). Wouldn't all the people coming into contact with either of them be assimilated instantly without their knowledge?
>>
>>82870834
>>82870933
are you guys replicants?
>>
>>82882696
>Imagine being a human
It would be very painful.
>>
>>82885032
>I have a question, since a single cell from the Thing is enough to assimilate you
That has to be false, or else the thing would just infect everyone by spraying its blood on them.
>>
>>82884826
Just let it take your arm. You can have a mutually beneficial agreement and share body. Just like that manga/anime.
Thread posts: 269
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.