[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going After Netflix, Cannes Bans Streaming-Only Movies From Competition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: harvey_weinstein.jpg (29KB, 307x409px) Image search: [Google]
harvey_weinstein.jpg
29KB, 307x409px
Netflix films are no longer considered films

>The Cannes Film Festival is taking a stand against Netflix. Responding to a rumor that the streaming service's Okja, directed by Bong Joon Ho, and The Meyerowitz Stories, directed by Noah Baumbach, would be excluded from awards consideration after being included in the Competition lineup, the festival released a statement clarifying and adjusting its positioning going forward. The short version: From now on, if you want to compete at Cannes, your movie had better be released in French movie theaters -- not just online. There has long been a point of tension between Cannes and Netflix, to the extent where the inclusion of Okja and The Meyerowitz Stories came as a bit of a surprise. Netflix films had previously been snubbed and festival officials had advocated for "discouraging" the streaming service's online-first approach to release. The two movies included in Cannes' lineup this year are slated for theatrical bows stateside, but according to the festival's official statement, "no agreement has been reached" to get the moves into French cinemas and the effort to reach one was made "in vain." However, the statement does clarify that this rule goes into effect next year, so Okja and The Meyerowitz Stories will remain in competition and eligible for the Palme d'Or.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/05/10/going_after_netflix_cannes_bans_streaming_only_movies_from_competition_slots.html
>>
This will totally work, this whole streaming thing is just a fad.
>>
>>82767767
Can't stop progress, Harvey.
>>
>>82767767
Fuck Netflix
>>
>Okja, directed by Bong Joon Ho
>The Meyerowitz Stories
don't care
>>
>>82767966
Fuck Hollywood.
>>
who cares?
meaningless awards for meaningless creations for meaningless people with false sense of importance
I mean maybe if you worked in the industry you might care because money or whatever but otherwise... why the hell would you?
>>
>poeple shilling
>peta the movie
>and stereotypical two jewish actor brothers in new york: the movie
>>
>>82768062
Didn't used to be this way. Cannes, Sundance, all of that used to be THE shit.
>>
>>82767767
Pure kikery
>>
File: juden.png (215KB, 409x398px) Image search: [Google]
juden.png
215KB, 409x398px
>>82768187
>>
>>82768188
Those times are long gone, sadly.
All those festivals and hollywood could burn to the ground and I'd say good riddance.
>>
>>82768258
Who watches all these Jew movies? Israelis? New Yorkers? There are like 50 Jews in the whole world but there are a million movies about their boring lives.
>>
>>82768339
What kind of movies do you watch? How many movies have you seen this year in the theater?
>>
>>82767767
Why do they care enough to ban Netflix? Like not getting some shitty award is going to stop them from making shit
>>
video games not released on the turbografx 16 are no longer eligible for game of the year
>>
The last gasp of a dying man.mp3
>>
Theaters will be a niche thing in 10 years. Maybe sooner.
>>
>>82767767
That's honestly just pathetic.
>>
Don't worry there's no streaming in the gas chambers kike
>>
>>82767767
Netflix should just buy a tiny French theatre and play their movies there.
Checkmate
>>
File: 1462666580314.jpg (52KB, 514x571px) Image search: [Google]
1462666580314.jpg
52KB, 514x571px
>>82767767
>>
>>82768339
I'm so done man, sequels and holocaust movies
Thank god for jews
>>
File: Emma.gif (433KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Emma.gif
433KB, 500x281px
>>82767767
Yeah that'll show Netflix all right
>>
File: 1487149908886.png (193KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1487149908886.png
193KB, 657x527px
>>82768506
>>
>>82767767
This is stupid and inhibitive to so many films. Putting a film in theatres costs much more than the actual film.

Using Netflix as an example they put Beasts of No Nation in cinemas so it would have oscar eligibility. It costs twice as much as the movie to make and even then the big 4 cinemas in the US refused to screen it.

It's Jews jewing Jews. Just trying to keep people out of their clique and money in their pockets.
>>
>>82768385
Not really clear on the relevance here, but I mostly watch indie dramas and old genre stuff. I haven't been to the movies in years. I pirate everything that isn't from a small creator
>>
File: 07.jpg (623KB, 1088x1536px) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
623KB, 1088x1536px
Cannes? You mean that "most prestigious" award festival in the world that has it's pretentious attendees literally acting like children?

Good riddance.
>>
What most people don't understand is that big time festivals are way more than award competitions and screenings for an audience. Behind the scenes, and in official workshops/gatherings/talks etc the industry insiders meet and sell and buy a lot things. Festivals are more like any other industry expo. Distributors and exhibitors come from all over the world to buy films, sell their products to other people, and studios and filmmakers try to snatch funding deals and much more.

This move was probably the result of a lot of pressure from distributors and exhibitors and other industry parts to fight back o what they see as a threat to their business.
>>
>>82767767
They are right. Netflix isn't even TV.
>>
>>82768258
oh boy is adam sandler coming back to drama?
>>
awards are wankfests, means nothing.
>>
>>82768807
Pretty much
But then again in their defense they do need some criteria to define what qualifies for a film in competition which they're now doubling down on as being released in French theaters.
I mean, if Malick shot a home movie of the birds of Austin and posted it to YouTube and everyone started raving about it, would that qualify for the Palme d'Or?
>>
>Cuckflix gets rightfully BTFO
based Cannes
>>
>>82767767
im ok with this seeing as stream-only content is trash
>>
>>82767767
>Cannes Bans Streaming-Only Movies From Competition Slots

That is some really good news.
>>
>>82767873
ye
>>
I'm confused, am I supposed to support The (((Meyerowitz))) Stories?
>>
>>82769040
Unless you're an anti-semite racist.
>>
>>82767966
>>82768032
Fuck both :DD
>>
>>82769083
I actually admire Harvey because he was basically the behind-the-scenes Jew that started the 90s indie/arthouse boom
>>
>>82768807

Your right but I doubt it will at all hurt anyone but Cannes in the end. It's an obvious and pathetic attempt to bully people away from streaming and there are hundreds of other film festivals around the world. Let them take their ball and go home, no one will want to play with them if they keep pulling that shit.
>>
It's not a movie unless it's being played by a rear light projection system in an enclosed darkened box seating 249 persons who paid by personal check for the privilege of the experience
>>
File: 1493271940454.jpg (12KB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1493271940454.jpg
12KB, 235x240px
>>82769040
yes
>>
>>82767767
>Okja and The Meyerowitz Stories
I want to see some Netflix kino, are they any good?
>>
>>82767767
I hate both of these things but how does Cannes not realize they're digging themselves an early relevance grave? Fuck it already happened to the Tonys the Grammys the fucking Nobels etc etc
>>
>>82769159
It's not a movie unless your ticket is torn by a negro named Robert
>>
>>82768963
That is a good question, and most festivals will have to decide on their own. What I believe we will see is most traditional/big festivals adopting a similar stance to this, since they are all so tied up and composed of the same people basically. In contrast to this we will see a lot more online festivals pop up with a different criteria, wouldn't surprise me if netflix started their own for made for web films.
>>
>>82769204
The people making these decisions are old as fuck and don't understand what this "Net Flicks" is. Is it some kind of fishing show?
All these movie studios are paying me to keep them out, so I guess I'll ban them
They must not like fish very much
>>
>>82767767
GAS THE KIKES
>>
>>82768806
source
>>
>>82769300
Right but didn't everyone realize the downfall of dismissing new things in the 1980s or so? I mean the last 100 years have been one big long streak of new things becoming the status quo within a few years of coming into existence. Pattern recognition.
>>
>>82767767
Based Frenchies telling the Jews to fuck off
>>
>>82769118
As of now, Cannes still has a lot of prestige in the film world and it probably does more good than bad. The movies made for netflix are honestly not even worth showing along side other films in the festival. If it hurts them i don't expect it to be evident soon.
>>
>>82767767
Well it's the same thing for the Oscars. Your movie has to have been released in theaters in LA, I think.
>>
File: card.png (984KB, 1072x549px) Image search: [Google]
card.png
984KB, 1072x549px
>>82768506
>This is stupid and inhibitive to so many films. Putting a film in theatres costs much more than the actual film.
>Using Netflix as an example they put Beasts of No Nation in cinemas so it would have oscar eligibility. It costs twice as much as the movie to make and even then the big 4 cinemas in the US refused to screen it.
>It's Jews jewing Jews. Just trying to keep people out of their clique and money in their pockets.
>>
>>82769206
>not having your ticket stub firmly separated along the perforation by a French Algerian named Roberré
Filthy casuals
>>
File: hcdn0006.jpg (235KB, 885x1250px) Image search: [Google]
hcdn0006.jpg
235KB, 885x1250px
>>82769338

> If A Lie Is Not Told, It Cannot Become Yuri - Nedaore (Ayane)

Pretty gud.
>>
>>82769739
>If A Lie Is Not Told, It Cannot Become Yuri - Nedaore (Ayane)

simply epic my friend
>>
The traditional film industry knows it's on the way out
>>
>>82767767
Adam Sandler SEETHING right now
>>
>>82768032
Fuck white people
>>
>>82769206
>torn by a negro named Robert
Robert is a fine upstanding boy and he has never once spilled a single kernel of popped corn
>>
>>82769731
quality post
>>
who cares about france or what a bunch of french fags think

if it's a good flick it's a good flick
>>
>>82767767
lol, surely this will help theaters remain relevant...
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.