[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" such a flop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 2351346.jpg (40KB, 540x350px) Image search: [Google]
2351346.jpg
40KB, 540x350px
Why was "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" such a flop at the box office?
>>
Universal didn't know how to market it at the time
>>
I started doing drugs in highschool because of this movie.
>>
Because all the gay guys were turned off by bald Johnny Depp and fat Benicio
>>
>>82758901
it was marketed as a family film as a joke
>>
File: 1396891646204.jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1396891646204.jpg
29KB, 400x300px
>>82758901
>Why was "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" such a flop at the box office?

Why on Earth do you think it wouldn't have been? It had zero chance of being a hit.
>>
>tfw all the reverse-contrarians hate on this movie because of le drugs
>it's actually pretty good
>>
>>82758929
i always hear this when shitty meme movies fail
> didn't know how to market it
when people say this they're revealing they are personally easily manipulated by marketing
>>
>>82759264
this. i don't do drugs or drink but i love this movie as a buddy comedy duo journeys through the personal hellscapes with only eachother to keep a constant,. there's a real sense of immediacy and confusion to everything, it's almost kafkaesque. the drugs are incidental, the film is really about terry gilliam's wonky way of painting life.
>>
Same reason why Last Action Hero bombed.
>>
>>82758901
Too weird for most people.
>>
well, it is just not very good
>>
>>82759565
/thread
Only subhuman potheads like this movie
>>
I'll tell you why, it's actually kinda simple.

because the movie isn't actually that good, it's not a bad movie by any means, but it's not the cult classic people like to pretend it is. If you rate it anything over 6.5/10 then you literally know nothing about films.
>>
File: IMG_0436.gif (491KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0436.gif
491KB, 500x273px
>>82758901
It's my hypothetical theory that this film is one of those couldn't quite transcend the qualities of the reading material into screenplay. In fact, Gilliam made a film right out of the novel. The project itself is very ambitious, but it didn't turn out to have the appeal to the mass in due to the nature of business model that built on the "To show medium". I like the effort, though.
>>
>>82759565
>>82759596
>>82759637

and here come the post-contrarians
>>
>>82759752
>you are so intellectual to like drugs, here watch this film, it has drugs, masterpiece m8, sheeple don't get it
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.