[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come the special effects look great even compared to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: independence_day_ver3.jpg (172KB, 511x755px) Image search: [Google]
independence_day_ver3.jpg
172KB, 511x755px
How come the special effects look great even compared to what we get today?
>>
>>82750454
Models are always the way to go. I honestly get angry thinking about movies these days. We finally have the technology to make the most intricate and detailed fully working animatronics and models for movies and what do they choose to do? CGI everything that will look like garbage in under a month. Think about jaws (or Jurassic park) that movie still looks amazing and they had some half built piece of shit shark that could move its head and open it's mouth. Imagine what we could build these days. Actually pisses me off with the new shark movies coming out as of late like the shallows and that new one. All CGI bullshit. I'm mostly rambling, but Independence day is fantastic.
>>
>>82750932
This. Good models and real explosions go a long way. When I was a kid, a part of me thought they actually blew up the White House and other buildings and that the saucer ships were real because the models were so big and detailed and the way they layered them into the live action shots of the cities was seamless.
>>
>>82750932
CGI is super cheap these days considering you can have the Koreans or Indonesians animate it for pennies

Mad Max Fury Road is the perfect example of how it should be done today
There is a lot of post production that has gone in to it, but what they did was overlay video of other vehicles into a single scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3fqGaEBTI
>>
>>82750454
Bump for actual movie discussion, a rare occurrence on /tv/
>>
It's a film I don't watch that often, and never usually crosses my mind when someone asks me for a good movie, but when I actually watch it I realise it's fucking fantastic
>>
File: 147645816641254.png (2MB, 1064x774px) Image search: [Google]
147645816641254.png
2MB, 1064x774px
look at these fucking posters, they tell you everything you need to know

1996: real starship with lots of detail and realistic light and shadow, over a real city with the same features

2016: ugly ass CGI starship over ugly ass CGI planet, whipped out in photoshop in 20 minutes

fuck you emmerich
>>
>>82750454
We're all in agreement that the sequel is non canon right? Maybe the first 15 minutes showing how earth came together after the events of the first, but the second invasion never happened.
>>
Miniatures either look great or are charmingly bad, there's no in between unlike CGI which just looks poor and dated 18 months after release
>>
File: 08410017.jpg (2MB, 3091x2048px) Image search: [Google]
08410017.jpg
2MB, 3091x2048px
because real life is the best renderer
>>
>>82750454
No real effort was put into it, they knew you were going to watch it even if it was ten minutes of a cardboard alienship on a white background
>>
>>82752581
>Real starship
Really made me think
>>
the pre-battle speech by Pullman always gives me chills. His delivery is fantastic.

I hope whoever wrote that got a very nice bonus
>>
>>82752581
I 100% agree it looks like shit, but the one thing I have to give them credit for is I like how it's the same poster as the first but instead of a ship over a single city, it's a bigger ship over the entire world.
>>
>>82752985
yes the idea is good but the execution is embarrasingly lazy
>>
>>82752931
WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT
So good and unable to be topped they used it both in the trailer AND as the alien message for the sequel.
>>
This one line is Kineaux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirVtiJuvDs
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.