[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FMG/SWG thread For directors, editors, writers, cameramen, c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

File: filmmaker.jpg (19KB, 620x310px) Image search: [Google]
filmmaker.jpg
19KB, 620x310px
FMG/SWG thread
For directors, editors, writers, cameramen, caterers, barista's, runners, gaffers, sounddesigners, the homeless, the hopeless and the umemployed.

Post some work in progress or post some finished stuff. You want some indepth feedback then join the skype. Picking up from last night edition.

https://join.skype.com/IR718GCXNU4M
>>
>>82703296
Last post from previous thread:

Open question: what makes a good music video? Does it need a "gimmick"? Should you see the band?

I'm directing / writing a few for friends bands, i have some ideas based on inspirations but i'm not sure whether theyll be "music video" enough.
>>
>>82703672
I just finished a new musicvideo. I dont think there are clear rules. There are videoclips that only have performance. There are video clips that have the band playing and a story running parallel. There's music videos that are most abstract, ambiguous and associative in terms of visuals. Some use dance. Some just show a story and there is almost no link to the music. Some are extremely minimalistic or visual driven and just show animated lines like how you would see during a live show.

You want to be a filmmaker. Then you are the ambassador. You figure out what would work best with the music. Then you convince people and then you make it. And then afterwards you'll hear if you did well or if you should vanish into nothingness.

But asking for a sure fire way to succeed is kinda like asking for the keys to the universe.
>>
Anyone out there looking for constructive help and support bringing their dream to reality?
>>
>>82705891
Everyone.
>>
Roughly how many pages should an average feature screenplay be?
>>
>>82706168
>Roughly how many pages should an average feature screenplay be?
If you're adhering to the standard screenplay writing format 1 page is about 1 minute of screen time (obviously this varies but it is a good guide). A typical screenplay should be 120-130 pages to be about 1 hour and a half, which is the typical running time for most feature films. Dialogue heavy films will have more, about 140-160 pages.
>>
>>82706168
Depends on whether its heavy dialogue or heavy action.. and how long you want your film to be.

85 pages will get you roughly 90 mins at a guess but then is that action or dialogue so I couldnt say for sure
>>
Are there movies where in the middle of a movie it just becomes kinda lika a music video with just one song?
>>
>>82706168
I know that some agents and production companies wont even shit on your script if its not 90 page at least..
>>
>>82706321
This used to be quite typical in the past of films in the 60s and 70s. Films like Thomas Crown Affair, In the Heat of the Night and Easy Rider come to mind. Then you had the proliferation of films that featured montage sequences in 80s films. Many films have done it since obviously.
>>
Do any of you feel like you require a writing partner? Someone to bounce ideas off of, to help you restructure or reformulate previous ideas, to give you an honest critique and offer advice? I feel like I'm 85% of a screenwriter. Of course I've had shit ideas, but I've also had some ideas that I'm proud of. But I know that I would benefit from having someone to help me write. And I know that I could help others with their writing. It's like trying to cut your own hair without using a mirror. You can take your time and be as precise as possible, but without another perspective, or another set of eyes, then you'll never reach the pinnacle of what could be.

I have a small circle of friends, and not too many of them are the creative type. And those creative friends focus on art or sculpting. Not writing. I refuse to work online with nameless faceless individuals who would take my ideas for themselves, but even if I were to work in person with someone I would still need months or years to build a rapport with them, to understand their strengths and weaknesses, so that I can accurately gauge them as a writer and as a person.
>>
>>82706635
Are you me?

I write a lot and im working on a feature (and about to finish it) but my friends are fucking useless.

I feel exactly like that; the feel of throwing that ball of brainstorm and someone to reflect it back.
>>
>>82706635
Yeah I'm looking for a writing partner, but the group basically acts as one if they read your script.
>>
>>82706739
It's not exactly comforting, but it's good to know that I'm not alone with this.

>>82706740
I would still be hesitant to share my ideas with nameless and faceless individuals. The skype group might work for some people, and I might miss out on an opportunity by not joining it, but still I could never join and share my ideas.

I think a social networking site for writers would be useful, if handled correctly. You make an account, link it to your facebook or linkedin account so you can prove that you are who you say you are and your shared ideas are then also linked to your account and self, acting like a form of registration and archival of your idea for legal purposes. But it wouldn't be the same as registering with the WGA. And people could still steal and modify your ideas. And people would demand a writer's credit if you were to publish your screenplay.
>>
>>82707310
the Skype group is tight, nobody is stealing shit.
Mainly because everyone wants to work on their dream..
>>
So i've been working on a little pet project for a while now, I've been looking for some people to run the idea
past and get an external perspective on the script. See I'm just one person and need a new perspective in
case I'm missing something. Anyway would be great to have some feedback and know what y'all think about it.

I've uploaded it to here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsxnzfaxbbo8ovb/Project%201.doc?dl=0

Any feedback would be useful at this stage, I'm at loss of what to do with it, should I rewrite it?
I don't know which bits are good which are bad for example when when the protagonist kills the girls mother is over the top?
I mean does it sound realistic in those circumstances or is it just acceptable.. I can't tell myself because i've been working on it for so long.
>>
>>82706635
>>82706739
You can't write in a vacuum. Film is a collaborative art and it needs an audience. Feedback is probably the single most important aspect of writing. You need serious feedback and you need to be able to reflect and analyse feedback. Friends and family usually doesn't work because in a best case scenario they give you a nice friendly pat on the shoulder and in the worst case they won't be able to view your work as serious.

I have a large group of people I can get feedback from. Not just other writers but for example also my D.o.P. Writer without letting other people in is off course save, if no one tells you its shit then it must be awesome right? But in the end rewriting without feedback is like repeating the same word over and over until it loses its meaning and starts to sound weird. This is also why a director needs to step out and let an editor take over.

>>82706740
>>82707310
>>82707767
I would suggest to try the skype. I'm there and I have some experience. And you should never work about getting your work stolen. Simply because people love their own ego to much, they would rather work on their own briliant stories. There are a million good stories out there, but there is no funding. For every funded project, there are a thousand brilliant stories. Its not the fifties anymore where a good idea would sell itself. Everything has been done, what producers want is people with a unique vision. You can steal someone's script but not his vision.

Being scared of people stealing is like being scared of the boogie man.

Anyways just try the skype some time.
>>
>>82706635
If you can't write by yourself a writing partner will not help you. I suggest you look into the areas you have trouble with and try to work on them before you use others as a crutch. There are plenty of great books out there on how to structure a screenplay and write a compelling story. A writing partner will not really help you there.

That is not to say that you should not try to find other like minded or more experienced writers to review your work. Even family and friends will help you there. The primary reason being to get a second opinion and be able to discern for yourself what works and what does not. What catches people's attention, what does not, and so on. Writers tend to get consumed by what they are writing, and very attached to it, which is why a writing partner would help one in such cases by pointing out things that don't fit or work overall.

In all honesty though, as someone who has been lurking in these threads for years on and off, worrying about this is a bit counter productive and it should be the least of your concerns. None of you really need a "second set of eyes", what you need is to learn the fundamentals of character, of conflict, and drama. Learn to write first.

Just to add, I'd like to mention that I have worked with people like you, who seem to require a writing partner, and it's absolutely dreadful. These are the kind of folk that are incredibly indecisive and think in very abstract terms, as opposed to concrete ideas.
>>
>>82709372
>Just to add, I'd like to mention that I have worked with people like you, who seem to require a writing partner, and it's absolutely dreadful. These are the kind of folk that are incredibly indecisive and think in very abstract terms, as opposed to concrete ideas.

this is only encouraging to me. thanks
>>
Got a sweet idea you want to bounce off a group of people with critical insight? Join the skype!
>>
You guys got any tips for someone who doesn't like to write? I kind of have ideas but I'm not particularly good on thinking and drawing out a full story. I wouldn't write if I didn't really have to but I'm the only person I know who wants to do films or isn't too lazy to actually write something.
>>
>>82703672
What's great about music videos is that they're playgrounds. You move with the music.
>>
>>82710816
Find someone who enjoys writing back lacks ideas, or don't be so lazy and write yourself.
Have a go you may find out you enjoy it. Or hop onto the skype group, bounce the ideas off the lads and see what they think.
I don't think anyone there is going to write it for you though since were all busy working on our own projects.
>>
>>82703296
I'm obsessed with the idea of gun-fu at the moment, I have a small idea down and I have a rough layout of the choreography. It's probably a little advanced for me considering what little I've made thus far but I really want to test my limits and see what I can do.

Prolly gonna look like shit but who cares.
>>
>>82711068
I've written a couple short film screenplays and I don't mind it too much but I'd rather focus more on the visuals. Honestly I'd love to join the Skype but with family right now.
>>
>>82711448
We only use the call feature occasionally.

We mainly just type to each other, so don't be afraid of having to use your voice.
>>
>>82711612
Oh if it's mostly typing then dope!
>>
>>82710816
Nothing wrong with not wanting to write yourself. To many director/writers these days. Specialization is a good thing. But then what do you want to do? Direct? Produce? Focuspull? drag cables or do the catering?

If you have idea's and you can prove that you have a small network to actually create something then get a writer. There are loads of starting writers who would die for the chance to see something they wrote actually be made. But dont get scared when people dont want to put the effort in or when they say the idea's arent that good for a story.

But mainly talk and collaborate. Tell a writer what you are bringing to the table.

>>82711448
Ye the skype only does calls for direct feedback. On idle mode its chat
>>
>>82711934
I'm leaning more towards directing but being a cinematographer or cameraman. I'm more focused on visuals all in all.
>>
>>82712018
>>82712018
In that case you need to find a director, a producer and a writer. But then it might be a bit absurd to think they would adapt your ideas
>>
>>82712080
Right now I'd mostly be looking for a writer and producer. I'm gonna try to direct as much as I can and see how it fits me.
>>
>>82712254
You can try to find someone in the skype. Have a convo with some people if your idea's work for them. But then make sure you offer something in return, like a promise to actually follow through, with competence. Nothing as terrible as writing for someone only to find out that it is now collecting dust underneath someones bed.
>>
For someone who wants to direct would you guys recommend film school or save that $ and try read up on the craft as much as possible and to try and shoot as much as possible? Obviously making connections would be the hardest part for the latter option but, it's not like I want to make blockbusters...
>>
>>82712721
I'm in the same boat as you but right now I'm kind of trying to do both. I'm working to go to UCLA or cal state film, but I'm trying to make my own short films on the side. I reckon for money if you can take student loans that may help if you don't mind spending most of the money you get back towards your films.
>>
>>82712721
>>82712848
The only way to learn is to JUST DO IT. If you need to go to filmschool to create motivation and courage for you to do it, then go to fucking filmschool. Every one is different, some people need the shallows to step into it.

If you feel you dont need filmschool then its possible to still be a good filmmaker. All you need is vision. And vision comes from watching your mother die at a young age or traveling around the world, or millions of other experiences.

In the end it comes down to what you think you need. I wasted time, I thought filmschool was bullshit, but what did I do? Nothing because there was no inspiration, no motivation and no courage, no network no nothing. So I just dreamed about my ideas. Then I said fucking it and went to Art College and there I actually finally started doing shit.

There is no right answer. Its about what you need.
>>
>>82713269
This desu
>>
>>82713269
Also I'm re-editing something for a friend since he had to fire his last editor.

Looking for some feedback on it. Its a raw edit offcourse so dont mind the grading or sounddesign. That all comes after the edit lock.

https://vimeo.com/213847142
pass: 123456
>>
>>82713838
I'll check it out in a bit and give ya some feedback.
>>
Bumparoni
>>
>>82713838
I thought you did a really good job. I would've maybe kept the dough kneading parts a little longer and maybe cut the end a tad shorter but that's more my taste. All in all good job man!
>>
>>82717879
>>82714726
>>82713838
Cheers. It was 9 minutes long before. First thing I did was cut a lot out.
>>
Who has a demoreel? Share that shit.
>>
>>82719122
My pleasure hombre! By the way what software do you use for editing?
>>
>>82720319
Premiere Pro. But in the end they all do the same.
>>
I've tried writing a full-length feature but fucked it up because I had motivational issues and wrote myself into a corner.
Then I started writing and trying to improve by writing short films and sketches which weren't very good but I slowly got better.
Then I hit a milestone and wrote a pilot script for a TV show I have an idea for. It's shit but I managed to complete it and now I'm back to writing sketches and short films and improving more.
I'm having fun and seeing my pile of scripts and shit get bigger is nice but the issue of actually doing something with them is a big problem.
For now I'm happy with just writing and improving but I'm approaching the point where it's time to finally make something and I'm too scared to do it.
Especially considering I don't know anyone so I would have to try and find strangers who would be willing to act in some autist's short film.
>>
>>82721407
Coolio, I got Sony vegas but I haven't actually filmed anything to get some experience with editing. If it's not too much do you have any general tips or rules of thumb for editing?
>>
>>82721820
Try looking for film and theater people at a university since they generally autismo enough to do it. Or try selling your scripts to studios or something.
>>
>>82721952
Pffff thats a difficult one. Ive always been very rythmic so that helps.

But overall I think your main task should be to trim the fat. Especially when you edit your own footage you tend to make it to long because you love your own work and you are afraid to kill your own darlings.

But as an editor you should always try to get it as short as possible. Less is more. The shorter it is, the more packed it is. But dont be afraid to let a shot linger on if it has the right effect. And if performances are subpar then try to edit away from them as much as possible. Performances tend to be less terrible if you cant see the actor speak.

Use alot of the silent play in peoples performances. And remember that when editting a dialogue you dont have to show the person speaking. Focus on who is affected.
>>
>>82722591
Thanks man that paints a way better ideal of it than what most people say. I don't think editing will be my main thing but I'd still like to have a basic idea of it so I can keep it in my mind when filming.
>>
>>82723465
In essence, writing, directing and editing are the same thing. What do you want to tell and what do you show. The writer is unlimited in that sense. The director is realistic. And the editor saves it all.
>>
>>82723988
Shit man that's a good saying.
>>
>>82713838
You posted this last night but never came back to answer questions...
>>
File: IMG_0005.jpg (386KB, 1294x1970px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0005.jpg
386KB, 1294x1970px
Been reading this recently and I'm fucking inspired

Indirectly helped me come up with an idea for an opening scene on a short film I wanna try. Knowing that he did what he did in the 90's, with all that bulky-ass analog equipment, it gives me hope for what I can do with a DSLR and DaVinci Resolve.
>>
from thing i'm working on rn

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gux3rwoy27qjo21/Sequence%2004.mp4?dl=0
>>
>>82726050
don't forget to watch the behind the scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQE9eEmu1b4
>>
>>82703672
There is not much to it. Music Videos aren't about making great art or anything of any real value. The video is completely secondary to the music. If the music is good you can get away with filming a dog take a shit.

But anyway, I think the key thing to remember about music videos is that they need to be visually interesting, as in if it holds people's attention it's doing its job, and I don't mean interesting as in deep or thought-provoking, I mean purely attention grabbing.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.