[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underappreciated masterpiece or actual mediocrity? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: s2.jpg (54KB, 640x332px) Image search: [Google]
s2.jpg
54KB, 640x332px
Underappreciated masterpiece or actual mediocrity?

I'm genuinely asking
>>
It's not as simple as that...

True Detective season 2 was ambitious but flawed. It had severe pacing issues which, as with the first season, crippled it immensely. However, it's biggest problem was having too many protagonists. The story was genuinely engaging but the moment we start actually learning about a character's backstory or motivations, we would switch to the next character, then the next character, and wouldn't get back to any one of them (at least in a meaningful way) until next week. It had great performances, a compelling plot, and wonderful cinematography, but the A.D.D. character development really killed it for me.

Overall worth watching despite it's flaws.
>>
>>82690332
Two great things about season 2 - Lera Lynn and Rey Velcoro. Well, maybe Vince is good too.
>>
>>82690332
first season was really good, second was kinda meh but okay. heres to hoping the next season is more like the first.
>>
>>82690332
More of the first than the second
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0YTJCnzrgeQ
Also I miss Frankposting
>>
>>82691217
makes sense, ish. but i would put those criticisms against s1

>>82691254
>>82691293
how so?
>>
wast season 1 done over a 10 yr period, then season 2 in 1 year

quite unfair to rate them side by side

its worth watching once or twice, td1 could be watched 5 or more times
>>
>>82690332
The rushed writing shows. I wouldn't say Pizza is a hack, but quality writing means tons of rewriting and that takes time.
>>
>>82691891
They were both ambitious but flawed and suffered from pacing issues, but what i was trying to say was that season 2 had another problem of too many characters which really made it lackluster while the first was still overall great.
>>
File: jacknickolsonnod.gif (2MB, 300x239px) Image search: [Google]
jacknickolsonnod.gif
2MB, 300x239px
>>82690332
Mean Girl was hot.
>>
I enjoyed it. The only reason it got so much hate is because there was just no way it could have been better than the first season, but people hyped it up anyway.
>>
>>82692016
Do you relaly think that's the ONLY reason it got hate?
>>
>>82692719
why else?

>>82691961
i felt S2 lacked the sortof almost lovecraftian aspect of S1, which is what made S1 great. S1 was never about cops at all. S2 was
>>
>>82692985
It's an anthology series, the seasons don't need to be that thematically similar. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Lovecraft aspects in S1, but it would've been very out-of-place in S2.
>>
Does this make sense in context?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axA2wQ2fJtk
>>
>>82692985
>lovecraftian
stopped reading there /v/
>>
Im curious about this shit cuz im wondering whether i should watch S2 again. I was really disappointed when I saw it, but im thinking maybe I was expecting it to be something it wasnt. Dont wanna waste 8 hours on mediocrity though
>>
It is definitely NOT mediocre. But it had some issues presenting a very large amount of story into eight episodes. The story is good and it makes sense, but it takes a few viewings to get it.

This is the point where people decide if they like it or not. I enjoyed a lot about the show, so I didn't mind watching it many times. Other people can't be bothered to do that.
>>
>>82690332
Imho the story was a little too long, sometimes confusing. Didnt really like Wood policeman, found him too edgy and unnecessary. Vince Vaughn was amazing. Farell was gud too, only his voice was too tryhard
>>
>>82690332
>I need 10 years to write a new season
>you have 5 minutes
>>
>>82694580
Yes. Frank is not an educated person, but he tries to make himself out to have so much class. Thus, he talks like a goof sometimes. His lackey is probably a moron, but, as lackies do, he's trying to emulate his boss by talking like a goof.
>>
>>82690332

Everything wrong with True Detective Season 2:

1. It was called True Detective when it shared none of the themes, character and writing style as the first season. It's okay to have self-contained stories each season but there has to be some clear thematic link otherwise it may as well be its own show (see: American Horror Story, every season is an american horror story and they reuse the actors in different roles)

2. This is really part of point 1. but it's such a big deal that it deserves its own point. The second season completely lacked the occult themes and the surreal feel of the first season that was part of what made it so memorable, the first season set up this network of powerful cultists to be the "big bad" of the story when they said at the end they really only caught a tiny portion of the group, but they decided not to roll with it into the second season (maybe it hit too close to home for pedowood?)

3. None of the characters are as memorable as the characters in the first season. Sure, Vince Vaughn and Collin Farrel did a good job of their roles and their characters were pretty good but it just wasn't on the same level as the first season.

4. They spoiled the ending in a dream sequence
>>
>>82696593
I disagree with you on the character point (Aside from gay former army cop. That was just a pointless character), but otherwise agree. Also that fucking shootout deserves some kind of mention, since that really felt like where a lot of things that could have still gone right went wrong
>>
>>82696706
>Also that fucking shootout deserves some kind of mention, since that really felt like where a lot of things that could have still gone right went wrong
how so?
>>
I liked it a lot but two things in particular drag it down.

1. The gay cop subplot could easily be removed completely without losing much and it just fills up screentime better devoted to other stuff

2. the murder becomes near-irrelevant almost immediately so there's no main drive to the plot. it also hurts it that essentially everyone is in on it except the main characters so it kind of becomes pointless to follow what's going on

Story should've focused on Ray and Ani and them slowly uncovering a web of corruption and eventually trying to escape it.

Frank should've been a side-character that Ray can actually trust who has an interest in the main plot but eventually crashes and burns (offscreen) by biting off more than he could chew. In the show as it is he started to repeat himself a lot and had a fairly simple arc again eating away at the screentime.
>>
File: True Detective.jpg (70KB, 866x660px) Image search: [Google]
True Detective.jpg
70KB, 866x660px
>>82696593
I would say they could get away with the different themes if they made it the same shadowy group from Season 1 and wrapped it up in Season 3.

Season 3: Four detectives in a colder area and they bring down the guy who is running it all played by Vincent D'onofrio.
>>
S2 was fucked
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.