[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good adaptations of his work, or of cosmic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 21

File: HP Lovecraft.jpg (24KB, 285x352px) Image search: [Google]
HP Lovecraft.jpg
24KB, 285x352px
What are some good adaptations of his work, or of cosmic horror in general?
>>
File: re-animator-poster.jpg (281KB, 680x1034px) Image search: [Google]
re-animator-poster.jpg
281KB, 680x1034px
Re-Animator and Dagon are pretty good.
>>
>>82683204

Alien Covenant
>>
>>82683639
no
>>
In the Mouth of Madness is the gold standard.
>>
File: thething.jpg (58KB, 900x350px) Image search: [Google]
thething.jpg
58KB, 900x350px
>>82683204
Carpenter's:
The Thing
In the Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1978 one)

the rest are kinda shit with sfx that will make you laugh. I could never take Re-Animator, From Beyond & co. seriously, the effects where just too fucking trashy and the actors too shit. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Del Toro's at the mountains of madness NEVER EVER.
>>
From Beyond is pretty good and got whacky special effects
>>
Bloodborne
>>
>>82683204
Prometheus
>>
The Thing
In the Mouth of Madness
Possession could be considered Lovecraftian
Pickman's muse
>>
>>82683204
Quatermess and the pit
>>
File: AlteredStates.jpg (116KB, 740x560px) Image search: [Google]
AlteredStates.jpg
116KB, 740x560px
>>82683204
>>
>>82684292
how is Alien lovecraftian
>>
>>82684310
>Possession could be considered Lovecraftian
No.
It's tryhard 2deep4u bodyhorror to get a shitty message across, but definitely not Lovecraftian. By that logic you could describe everything David Cronenberg has ever done as Lovecraftian.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (28KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
28KB, 356x200px
>>82683204
>ywn watch a film about an unsuccessfull writer who suffers from social anxiety and hallucinations, who has to submit to his madness in order to write stories for living, with no clear ending whether the shit he has seen was real or not
>>
>>82683204
Solaris

Kinda like that short story when they were cloning edgar alan poe.
>>
>>82685281
Really wasn't too fond of that
>>
If you're a CoC Derleth-tier chucklefuck memelord, then you'll like anything Stuart Gordon's done, The Void, all that tentacle shit Chaosium and Derlethfags have shoved down our throats for the past several decades.

If you have an ounce of taste and/or are a massive snob like me, there's pretty much fucking nothing that does Lovecraft's own brand of cosmic horror right, but there's many films that, maybe of varying quality, contain elements of general cosmic horror done well. I'd say Alien does it best, pitting humanity against a completely alien lifeform whose lifecycle spits in the fact of conventional understandings of biology, a creature designed to act as a symbol of a coldly hostile, bizarre universe that reduces human beings back into prey animals. The whole scene through the crashed ship and finding the eggs is reminiscent of the part in The Call of Cthulhu with the sailors on R'lyeh.
>>
>>82685566
Wordy shilling, hmm.

Covenant, the sequel, is in theaters now, you say?

Lick poo.
>>
>>82683204
There are none.
>>
>>82683204
Kairo, classic japanese ghost/malediction story that turns into cosmic horror with its spread
>>
Bloodborne
>>
>>82685948
Stay made Derlethfag, Alien is the only good cosmic horror film and Ridley Scott's a senile hack ruining his own legacy.
>>
Why does no one ever mention Shatterbrain?

It's a bit hard to take seriously but it's a fun movie with some interesting practical effects and a good atmosphere.
>>
>>82686106
>>82684261
it might be a video game, but unironically this. it's a fantastic on top of that.
>>
>>82686151
But it's not, and I'm no Derlethfag. Lovecraft's work is intrinsically literary, there's no way to film it that wouldn't be a travesty of both cinema and literature. It's like filming Finnegans Wake - why would you? Even if you could, it would be pointless, except to make money.
>>
File: Micolash.jpg (47KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
Micolash.jpg
47KB, 700x400px
>>82686106
Bloodborne is one of the most accurate depictions of Lovecraftian horror to fucking date, why is it that a Japanese action game captured the essence of Lovecraft better than just about every Western attempt?
>>
>>82686261
Alien thematically is the only film (along with maybe Occult) that I would ever consider to have actually touched upon proper cosmic horror. Reread my post, I said Lovecraft's particular brand of cosmic is nigh non-existant in film, you're right, it's hard to film because it's so literary and demands that medium to get across its ideas and imagery. However, cosmic horror in general isn't confined to just what Lovecraft wrote and Alien, thematically, touches upon an important bit of cosmic horror, of a vast, coldly hostile universe in which exist things anathema to our being and understanding. That's not ultimately what Alien is necessarily about, but it's in there and is used to pretty good effect. The Alien itself is meant to represent that cold cosmic hostility, we don't know why it does what it does, but it does it. We don't know why Cthulhu is a ravening monster that blithely murders some sailors when it is constantly hinted at there is an unfathomable alien intelligence back there, but that's what it does when we see it.
>>
>>82686402
How is shooting werewolves as Van Helsing Lovecraft? I don't get it, I was told there would be Lovecraft but after 5 hours of shoving my hand down furry chests and not having healing potions I got bored. Don't fall for the /v/ memes
>>
>>82686640
Get to Byrgenwerth.
>>
>>82686402
>thinks loltentacles and mouths is lovecraftian horror.

Fucking Philistine. Lovecraftian Horror is the idea that what you see cannot be trusted, that what you know cannot be explained, that nobody will trust, that forces are working all around you that are beyond your ken to bring an end to all things. That there are cults in places of power and far afield, all working in unison, under the noses of those in power, and you have no ability to stop it. It's the knowledge that there are unknowable, unspeakable monstrosities who could extinguish you on a whim if they only cared to look at you, but they're so beyond you that they're more likely to kill you (and all of humanity) by accident.

Oh and also the monsters get killed by guard dogs.
>>
>>82686640
That's kind of the point. You think the moon is causing werewolf shit to happen but really it's all caused by alien gods whose blood the people have been ingesting. Playing Bloodborne blind, as a huge Lovecraft fan, was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life.
>>
File: winter_lantern.jpg (30KB, 441x248px) Image search: [Google]
winter_lantern.jpg
30KB, 441x248px
>>82686704
>Lovecraftian Horror is the idea that what you see cannot be trusted and what you know cannot be explained
How many layers of insight are you on right now, my dude?

>cults in place of power and far afield, working behind the scenes and fucking everyone's shit up
The School of Mensis and the Choir fulfill that role in the game

>there are unknowable, unspeakable monstrosities who could kill you just by looking at you
Pic related
>>
>>82686791
No. You can see that. You can describe that.

You cannot describe Yog-Sothoth. You cannot fathom Yog-Sothoth.
>>
>>82683204
>le cosmic horror
im starting to become triggered whenever i hear this phrase
>>
File: Image_bloodborne-boss_09.jpg (255KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Image_bloodborne-boss_09.jpg
255KB, 1280x720px
>>82686786
Also the game plays with you by tricking you into thinking "psssh i can already tell what the twist is... WE'RE the beast, not the people we kill."

It really is one of the best twists I have ever experienced.
>>
>>82686704
>Lovecraftian Horror is the idea that what you see cannot be trusted, that what you know cannot be explained
The game definitely has this atmosphere
>forces are working all around you that are beyond your ken to bring an end to all things. That there are cults in places of power and far afield, all working in unison, under the noses of those in power, and you have no ability to stop it.
There were cults that we couldn't stop from doing what they did
>It's the knowledge that there are unknowable, unspeakable monstrosities who could extinguish you on a whim if they only cared to look at you, but they're so beyond you that they're more likely to kill you (and all of humanity) by accident.
That's Formless Oedon
He's never seen, but he's there.
>>
>>82686704
>>thinks loltentacles and mouths is lovecraftian horror.
You have clearly never played it, autistic Nintendicksucker manchild.
>>
>>82686678
he was actually autistic. the 20th century's Chris-chan was more productive than the 21st century's
>>
File: lovecraftian horror.jpg (40KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraftian horror.jpg
40KB, 650x366px
>>
>>82684261
Is Bloodborne kino enough to be posted on /tv/?
>>
>>82686859
Oedon? Oedon is both an actual god and completely formless, although his voice and his blood are said to be known of and existing (according to people and in-game items).
>>
>>82686704
Bloodborne is so much more than "loltentacles and mouths", just as there is more to Lovecraft than horror. Bloodborne explores, far more than any of its contemporaries, the Dunsany-inspired Dream Cycles, which lets it explore the more interesting aspects of Lovecraft. >>82686903 This guy really gets it, Lovecraft wasn't even all about "cosmic horror", it's such an insult to think EVERYTHING Lovecraft EVER did was spooky sea monsters and cults.
>>
>>82686704
Read some Lovecraft and play the game you absolute nigger.

Cosmic horror is all about human limitation and ignorance in the face of a world and universe whose absolute nature exists beyond human perception and understanding. In Lovecraft, this manifests as age old alien horrors us puny humans mistook to be gods, as hyper advanced alien species poking around our backwater planet and as human beings who meddle in things they do not understand. Your comment of 'to bring an end to all things' is completely wrong and coloured by decades of Derlethian moralization. And the cult shit is even worse, stop that and stop playing CoC.

Bloodborne, at its core, is the story of a group of scholars at a university who make a profoundly important discovery of a prehuman civilization and what caused their downfall - meddling in the acquired blood of powerful alien creatures called Great Ones. There's a schism and a (eventually) theocratic organization continues experimentation on the populace by doling out this alien blood. Bloodborne is about human beings meddling in the affairs of things vastly above them. Don't forget, we rammed a boat into Cthulhu, shot up a bunch of Mi-Go, called down a vampiric wizard and banished the Dunwich Horror, humans have been known to push back so it's hardly unfounded. Also, take note of the fact that by the end of the game, the Good Hunter is filled to the brim with blood, vermin and eyes on the inside, and if you got the cords, in the process of literally becoming a slug baby. You forsook your humanity to attain your goal. This is also very Lovecraftian, as the loss of humanity is a theme found from the earliest days of his work.
>>
>>82686704

>hasn't played Bloodborne
>>
File: 1494061545666.jpg (18KB, 172x238px) Image search: [Google]
1494061545666.jpg
18KB, 172x238px
>>82684310
>reading while listening to music

filthy casuals
>>
>When, long ago, the gods created Earth
>In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
>The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
>Yet were they too remote from humankind.
>To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
>Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
>A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
>Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>82687068
>not having white noise on as you read
and you call OTHERS casuals
>>
>>82687068
>not listening to ambient soundscapes to further proliferate an atmosphere
>>
>>82687036
So TLDR Bloodborne is one of the all-time greatest cosmic horror stories out there?
>>
>>82686938

The "Lovecraft was an autistic weirdo" meme is really overblown. He was a loner recluse when he was young, but later in life he was very outgoing and had plenty of close friends.
>>
>>82687320
I could honestly go on for several posts about the attention to detail in Bloodborne, how it touches on pretty much every single Lovecraftian theme while retaining its own identity and how it keeps its more overt references tasteful and not in your face.

My fucking favourite is the incredibly subtle nod to The Outsider from the Old Hunters DLC: you climb and climb the Astral Clocktower, turn the stairs and finally face the bosses up at the top only to be met the solid ground of the Fishing Hamlet. It mirrors almost perfectly the narrator's climb up the tower, expecting to see the night sky before him, but is instead met with solid ground. That's a deep cut and it shows that people involved cared.
>>
>>82686922
It nails the atmosphere aesthetically, but the gameplay is totally off. The gameplay is just standard Dark Souls. Go here, kill some dudes, move on. I don't think that this sort of gameplay supports the idea that there's this unknown that can't be trusted or whatever. There's very, very little in the game that can't be won by just hitting it and dodging its attacks (and even the things that are that way can just be ignored). A real lovecraftian game would have to use the gameplay to subvert your expectations and fuck with the rules of the game, but Bloodborne's gameplay does nothing to subvert the Dark Souls-inspired formula.

tldr Bloodborne is just another mediocre adaptation, nailing aesthetic but missing the core ideas
>>
File: pondering man on couch.png (905KB, 1888x1070px) Image search: [Google]
pondering man on couch.png
905KB, 1888x1070px
>>82683204
>we will never get an "At the Mountains of Madness" film done by Guillermo del Toro
>>
File: 1200.jpg (71KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
71KB, 1200x675px
>>82683204
Banshee Chapter

It is modern meltyface jumpscare tier, but is a pretty good re-imagining of From Beyond
>>
File: 1363499415997.png (73KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1363499415997.png
73KB, 247x248px
bloodborne series when?
>>
>>82686402
>when all you have is a pc and can't afford a console right now

Fug
>>
>falling for the cosmic horror meme
>>
>>82687759
>I don't think that this sort of gameplay supports the idea that there's this unknown that can't be trusted or whatever.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Let's remember that everything you fight is the result of humans tampering with things they don't and can't understand, a major theme in most of Lovecraft's work. Also, Insight. Go to 15+ Insight and Church Officials gain a new attack and Mad Ones spawn in Hemwick. Go to 40+ Insight pre-Rom, and you see the Amygdalae all over the buildings. Go to 70+ Insight pre-Rom and you can hear Mergo crying.

You also passed over an earlier post in which I detailed the fact that human pushing back against the scary stuff isn't unfounded, and also that by the end of the game, the Good Hunter can barely be considered human so full of blood, vermin and eyes are they. You shed your humanity to further your goals and loss of humanity via meddling with the unknown is another major theme in Lovecraft.

Also, Bloodborne doesn't adapt anything, dunno where that's coming from.
>>
>>82686442
No, the Alien is just a critter in a popcorn movie for breed-units.
>>
File: brotherhood of the wolf 2.png (2MB, 1422x800px) Image search: [Google]
brotherhood of the wolf 2.png
2MB, 1422x800px
>>
>>82688010
>I don't know what this is supposed to mean.
It's supposed to mean that the gameplay is 100% formulaic and at no point does it present you, the player, with something that's hard to understand, or creates a feeling of distrust with the world. Everything can be understood by "Follow the path and kill the guys." Maybe there's a deeper level to it, but this basic gameplay is so formulaic that it undermines any actual feeling of the unknown or of distrust with the world. Maybe these elements are present in the story, but they are NOT present in the gameplay, well, except maybe for insight.

As far as insight goes, I mean, sure. Insight is technically an element of the gameplay supporting these elements of the unknown, but it's literally just a counter. It's probably the most mediocre and uninspired way to get those ideas across that I can think of.

As to your last point, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the idea that you can fight back. It's just that your ability to fight back is like an anchor in the game. At no point do you lose your anchor, or your safety. You can always fight. You can always understand the game as a simple action adventure, which in many ways is antithetical to the entire feeling lovecraft is supposed to give you.
>>
File: image.png (471KB, 1023x582px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
471KB, 1023x582px
Is it possible to have a Lovecraft thread here without /v/fags sperging out about Bloodborne. We get it, it's a good game, but we want movies on the subject, not games
>>
File: the-void-make-up.jpg (123KB, 656x875px) Image search: [Google]
the-void-make-up.jpg
123KB, 656x875px
>>82685566
>The Void
Was pretty gud.
>>
True detective s01 had some touches of it which is part of what made it good but it doesn't stick with it
>>
>>82688273
but your pic was already mentioned at least 3 times
>>
File: 1494012317310.png (116KB, 1778x402px) Image search: [Google]
1494012317310.png
116KB, 1778x402px
Was he ourguy?
>>
>>82688256
>It's supposed to mean that the gameplay is 100% formulaic and at no point does it present you, the player, with something that's hard to understand, or creates a feeling of distrust with the world.
>You're sure to be in a fine haze right about now. Just go out and kill a few beasts, it's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do.

Gehrman knows how confused we must suddenly waking up to a city of mutants bent on killing us. And the violence is part of the subversion - starting this game, you haven't the faintest clue what you're actually doing, or who these people or why they look as they do. Throughout the game you have to forsake your humanity in order to uncover and understand the mystery of the blood and the Great Ones. I don't know what you'd want save for a text-heavy Morrowind-style RPG of which this is not meant to be.

Insight is meant to represent how many eyes on the inside you have. The more you have, the more's revealed to you in the world. Of course, it also weakens your resistance to Frenzy, the effect the Winter Lanterns and Brain of Mensis have you on by merely looking at you, an effect that's highly implied to be mind rape via the insertion of incomprehensible alien knowledge.

You can understand Bloodborne as an action adventure, but that would be doing incredible disservice to the game and I highly doubt anyone wouldn't come out without the notion that something really weird must have been up they didn't understand.
>>
File: e4twg65.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
e4twg65.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>82683204
the new colbert show is really refreshing as cosmic horror goes.
>>
>>82687428
>>82686938
He had a lot of pen pals.

I think his total correspondance amounted to something like 70,000 individual letters, before his wife burned most of it after his death.
>>
>>82685566
This guy is right but lets not elevate lovecraftian horror to something its not
>>
File: 1417589254894.png (339KB, 447x371px) Image search: [Google]
1417589254894.png
339KB, 447x371px
>>82689118
LEL
>>
>>82689035
I wonder what he'd have written had he lived long enough to see the war and its aftermath
>>
>>82688734
Is True Detective actually good? I've heard mixed things
>>
>>82688734
That's actually Robert Chambers, he had a collection of stories called the King in Yellow which Lovecraft adored. Read The Repairer of Reputations, it's really fucking spooky and weird.
>>
>>
>>82689736
But why?
>>
>>82688707
The best part and pretty much the only good part of the movie were the monster designs and special effects.
The plot was completely ruined by the final 15-20 minutes, also the final scene was some unbelievably cheesy bullshit.

The only vaguely (and I mean very vaguely) Lovecraft related movie I can recommend is Pontypool. It's psychological horror with a neat premise and a nicely delivered feeling of helplessness.
>>
>>82689498
First one is, the second one is complete garbage, fortunately they're unrelated and you can just skip S2 altogether.
>>
>>82683204
The Color Out of Space
>>
>>82689057
>Gehrman knows how confused we must suddenly waking up to a city of mutants bent on killing us. And the violence is part of the subversion - starting this game, you haven't the faintest clue what you're actually doing, or who these people or why they look as they do.
Yes, but at the same time you understand everything perfectly. Maybe the story elements are confusing, but the gameplay doesn't reinforce this at all. The gameplay is 100% understood after finishing the first area. It's obvious that the gameplay will consist of going from zone to zone and killing bosses. Like I said, this is an anchor. Part of lovecraftian horror is about undermining the things which seem familiar, the anchors the characters have to their lives, and yet the basic gameplay of Bloodborne never does this. Even when everything around you is crazy as fuck, you're still basically just moving from zone to zone killing bosses.

Because of this, personally I found it nearly impossible to be immersed, frightened, or to feel anything similar to the awe that a lovecraft story approaches.
>>
>>82687817
I agree with this. The movie was surprisingly good
>>
The Void is the most decent Lovecraft inspired film I've seen. That being said, no one has ever gotten it completely right.

There are 2 silent films that adapt Call of Cthulu, and The Whisperer in Darkness. They're kinda cool.
>>
>>82683204
0. There acre no actual Lovecraft adaptations, but there are movies influenced by his works.
>>
>>82684261
Bloodborne does not adapt anything from Lovecraft. It's also not /tv/ related.
>>
>>82683204
Alan Moore's Providence is a great synthesis of everything Lovecraftian.
>>
>>82687320
Fuck no.
>>
>>82683204
I have a cat named Nigger Man but around other people, his name is thomas.
>>
>>82684662
Uhh have you never read thing on the doorstep?
>>
>>82692765
>Bloodborne does not adapt anything from Lovecraft.

is this a joke
>>
>>82683204
ah another /v/ thread
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.