/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of the big problems with adapting this to film is the metaphoricaal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: 51NymrGFhfL.jpg (39KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
51NymrGFhfL.jpg
39KB, 334x500px
One of the big problems with adapting this to film is the metaphoricaal descriptions of scenery and such. Is it possible to translate such a thing into cinematography. I don't know shit about film. Just curious if it could even be conceivably done with any success.
>>
>>82651305
To answer your questions, no

The other major obstacle in filming this is that there would be absolutely no way to capture the horror and violence crammed into this book

bashing injin babies on rocks, the nigger heart, the snake bit horse and about one hundred other scenes.

honestly it would need the perfect director, cast and an NC-17 rating to make this work, otherwise just leave it as a book
>>
>>82651910
That rating shit is a shame because this book has a lot to offer. I only read it once but still didn't absorb everything. I feel like if it reached a wider audience it'd be a good thing. Although if people misunderstand the violence I guess the point might be lost.
>>
>>82651305
The major problem is the fact that the story sucks.

It's midly entertaining, until you realize that what you expected to be build - up to an interesting story was the actual story, and that ending... Shit, they're either going to change everything, or do it faithfully, and realize it just doesn't pack the same punch visually as it does when you read about it.
>>
>>82652819
Well meme'd. Here's a (you) for your troubles.
>>
>muh edgy violence
>muh heath ledger joker casting
>muh beautiful descriptions of landscapes
>>
>>82652819
>entertaining

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>82651305
I read the wikipedia summary about this, i dont get what all the fuss is about

also having unspeakable horrors in a book is a cop out¸ either describe the monster you created or GTFO I'm not doing your work for you
>>
Terrence Malick could do it.
>>
>>82654897
I think you're confusing McCarthy with Lovecraft. McCarthy's description is sprawling and textured - I refer you to the famous passage in Blood Meridian when the Kid's group is set upon by the Indian warband.
>>
>>82654897
Its a book that makes you feel your darkest side
>>
this is just one of those books that just shouldnt be made into a movie. it's pointless.
>>
>>82651305
>metaphoricaal descriptions of scenery and such
PREPARE TO BE RAPED WITH LOVE
>>
>>82651305
who would you cast in the film adaptation, /tv/?
>>
>>82656428

This. People are just creatively bankrupt and will lazily reach out to whatever's available.
>>
>>82656428
You dont think, theoretically that it is even possible?
>>
File: 1488170939963.jpg (19KB, 588x404px) Image search: [Google]
1488170939963.jpg
19KB, 588x404px
>>82655207
>the famous passage in Blood Meridian when the Kid's group is set upon by the Indian warband
desu I wasn't ready for this
>>
>>82657013
Shut up Giorgio
>>
>>82657031
>>82655207
>Kid's group is set upon by the Indian warband.
can you give me a quick rundown of what happens?
>>
>>82651910
I agree. Some things should be left just as they are. Some of my favorite shows and books would not fit on the film medium at all. It would only be butchered.
>>
>>82657031
Not him but...
A rattling drove of arrows passed through the company and men tottered and dropped
from their mounts. Horses were rear ng and plunging and the mongol 춊 hordes swung
up along their flanks and turned and rode full upon them with lances.
The company was now come to a halt and the first shots were fired and the gray
riflesmoke rolled through the dust as the lancers breached their ranks. The kid's horse
sank beneath him with a long pneumatic sigh. He had already fired his rifle and now
he sat on the ground and fumbled with his shotpouch. A man near him sat with an
arrow hanging out of his neck. He was bent slightly as if in prayer. The kid would have
reached for the bloody hoop-iron point but then he saw that the man wore another
arrow in his breast to the fletching and he was dead. Everywhere there were horses
down and men scrambling and he saw a man who sat charging his rifle while blood ran
from his ears and he saw men with their revolvers disassembled trying to fit the spare
loaded cylinders they carried and he saw men kneeling who tilted and clasped their
shadows on the ground and he saw men lanced and caught up by the hair and scalped
standing and he saw the horses of war trample down the fallen and a little whitefaced
pony with one clouded eye leaned out of the murk and snapped at him like a dog and
was gone. Among the wounded some seemed dumb and without understanding and
some were pale through the masks of dust and some had fouled themselves or tottered
brokenly onto the spears of the savages.
>>
>>82657084
>“A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.”
>>
>>82651305
>>82651910
It also wouldn't really work when it comes to pacing. Blood Meridian intentionally drags on for quite a bit, it wouldn't fit a conventional movie. It would work better as a high budget miniseries or something.
>>
>>82652819
lol pleb
> its sooo boring. its shit
>>
>>82657142
Now driving in a wild frieze of headlong horses
with eyes walled and teeth cropped and naked riders with clusters of arrows clenched in
their jaws and their shields winking in the dust and up the far side of the ruined ranks
in a piping of boneflutes and dropping down off the sides of their mounts with one heel
hung in the withers strap and their short bows flexing beneath the outstretched necks of
the ponies until they had circled the company and cut their ranks in two and then
rising up again like funhouse figures, some with nightmare faces painted on their
breasts, riding down the unhorsed Saxons and spearing and clubbing them and leaping
from their mounts with knives and running about on the ground with a peculiar
bandylegged trot like creatures driven to alien forms of locomotion and stripping the
clothes from the dead and seizing them up by the hair and passing their blades about
the skulls of the living and the dead alike and snatching aloft the bloody wigs and
hacking and chopping at the naked bodies, ripping off limbs, heads, gutting the strange
white torsos and holding up great handfuls of viscera, genitals, some of the savages so
slathered up with gore they might have rolled in it like dogs and some who fell upon
the dying and sodomized them with loud cries to their fellows. And now the horses of
the dead came pounding out of the smoke and dust and circled with flapping leather
and wild manes and eyes whited with fear like the eyes of the blind and some were
feathered with arrows and some lanced through and stumbling and vomiting blood as
they wheeled across the killing ground and clattered from sight again. Dust stanched the
wet and naked heads of the scalped who with the fringe of hair below their wounds and
tonsured to the bone now lay like maimed and naked monks in the bloodslaked dust
and everywhere the dying groaned and gibbered and horses lay screaming.
>>
>>82657084
They get BTFOed
>>
>>82654974
Came here to say this, Its certainly true for the settings, but even Malick at his darkest is not enough for the brutal and cruel events.
>>
>>82657142
>>82657153
This part is shocking. The part when they slaughter the village of peaceful Indians is devastating.
I need to read this book again, it's impossible to absorb it all in one go.
>>
File: 1480972991470.jpg (14KB, 261x238px) Image search: [Google]
1480972991470.jpg
14KB, 261x238px
>>82657153
I've gotta read this fucking book.
>>
File: 1477368922541.jpg (48KB, 692x925px) Image search: [Google]
1477368922541.jpg
48KB, 692x925px
So what did the ending represent?
>>
>>82657153
This was based on a real event from history, like most of the scenes and characters.
>>
>>82657275
When Glanton and his chiefs swung back through the village people were running out
under the horses' hooves and the horses were plunging and some of the men were
moving on foot among the huts with torches and dragging the victims out, slathered and
dripping with blood, hacking at the dying and decapitating those who knelt for mercy.
There were in the camp a number of Mexican slaves and these ran forth calling out in
Spanish and were brained or shot and one of the Delawares emerged from the smoke
with a naked infant dangling in each hand and squatted at a ring of midden stones and
swung them by the heels each in turn and bashed their heads against the stones so that
the brains burst forth through the fontanel in a bloody spew and humans on fire came
shrieking forth like berserkers and the riders hacked them down with their enormous
knives and a young woman ran up and embraced the bloodied forefeet of Glanton's
warhorse
>>
>>82657323
The Judge took the Kid away to a tea party in heaven on a magical white horse, then he took a shit so massive that the other men nearby were terrified of it
>>
>>82657142
>>82657153
>>82657178
awesome read, but totally filmable, just have it be one continuous shot of mayhem spinning around the kid seeing people die and getting scalped, savages hootin and hollering

make the audience feel dizzy and disgusted
>>
HACK AWAY YOU MEAN RED NIGGER
>>
>>82657323
build wall, I mean fence
>>
>>82654974
No he couldn't. At his heart, Mailick a romantic idealist, and all of his movie are about the wonder of the universe. McCarthy, especially in Blood Meridian, is exactly the opposite. He's all about the ugliness of the world, and the evil that humans are capable of.

Malick does great cinematography, but his tone and outlook are all wrong.
>>
>>82657323
his happiness at being right about the Kid and the devil's domination of man

>Two other times in the book a young girl goes missing in a town where the Kid is encamped with the gang. I think the Kid is the sexual predator, the one responsible for the girls disappearing. I think he has been running from himself the whole time. The judge calls him out as the only one not being truthful in his depravity and violence, like he fashions himself better than the rest.

>I think at the end, he finds the young girl in the outhouse hiding and crying because of the bear, and "the judge" "overtakes" him. The devil takes control of him one more time and the Kid kills her.

>It is the Kid that is the unnamed man who tells the onlookers not to go inside. They open and see what has been done, that is the horror. The Judge is vindicated and dances at the stage, saying that he will never die, as no matter how men try to outrun him, they cannot, and he lives within them forever.

>It's also implied in the scene before that he attempted to engage a dwarf prostitute in her services, but that he couldn't 'perform'. Why would this scene and the others with missing children (especially the last at the end) be there if they didn't have any significance?
>>
>>82657156
But an episodic miniseries would defeat that dragging pace even more.
>>
>>82657500
>
>>
>Suppose two men at cards with nothing to wager save their lives. Who has not heard such a tale? A turn of the card. The whole universe for such a player has labored clanking to this moment which will tell if he is to die at that man’s hand or that man at his. What more certain validation of a man’s worth could there be? This enhancement of the game to its ultimate state admits no argument concerning the notion of fate. The selection of one man over another is a preference absolute and irrevocable and it is a dull man indeed who could reckon so profound a decision without agency or significance either one. In such games as have for their stake the annihilation of the defeated the decisions are quite clear. This man holding this particular arrangement of cards in his hand is thereby removed from existence. This is the nature of war, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, war is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one’s will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god.
>>
>>82651305

Malick could pull it off but you'd have 40 mins of random sandstorms and shit etc. you don't need to see
>>
File: dihydrogen monoxide.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dihydrogen monoxide.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>82658663
Why do you faggots keep pushing for Malick? He's the worst choice to direct something as hyperviolent as BM.

>captcha: AGUA saay
>>
>>82657728
This shit makes me realize what a fucking horrible writer I am.
>>
>>82658724

>Coen Bros
>Ultra Violent

Top Kek half the characters will get killed offscreen
>>
>>82651305
Also the book is shit
>>
>So Bill Murray was Clint Eastwood and Scarjo was Sofia Coppola in lost in translation right guys?
I mean someone else sees this right. both directors. giovanni ribisi was spike lee. no idea on the blonde bimbo.
>>
>>82658888
>he didn't understand that Llewelyn isn't actually the protagonist
Lel. No Country isn't even supposed to be a pleb filter, it's just an amazing movie.
>>
so was the judge the devil or some shit
>>
>>82658949

Sofia was ScarJo, Spike Jonze was Giovanni

No one knows who Murray was till this day

''Her'' is an amazing rebuttal to Sofia's woe is me story tho fair play to Spike
>>
>>82658969

Just a force of nature nigga

A vehicle to show the rest of the lame faggots in the book how their preconviced notions were dogshit
>>
>>82659061
The judge was a vehicle for the violence. The decadence and harshness of youthful abandon. A "fuck you" to our world and what is in it.
>>
File: 1492462177882.jpg (758KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1492462177882.jpg
758KB, 1106x1012px
>>82651910

>NC-17 rating

FUCKING THIS

This is my main arguement on why this movie will never be made. Violence and war is THE point of the whole fucking book

>>82651305

The imagery COULD work. Just think bizarro or evil Malick.
>>
>>82651910
Why can't it have an NC-17 rating?

It seems like American movie audiences just expect to be treated like children. They think it's just part of the medium to be patronizing and cowardly, but it's not. There's no reason to accept it.
>>
>>82657153
HAHAHAHA! Americans think this is what literature is, don't they? How the fuck am I supposed to take this seriously?
>>
>>82659250
it is what literature is

just because the style is verbose and isn't about taking a poop in dublin or catherine (3) kissing hareton doesn't mean it aint literature
>>
>>82658882
It's ok, man. You're not horrible, he's just really good. There are a ton of terrible writers who get published.
>>
>>82657728
How do you tip a fedora this big?
>>
>>82654897
>albanians
>>
>>82661637
like this:

>The judge placed his hands on the ground. He looked at his inquisitor. This is my claim, he said. And yet everywhere upon it are pockets of autonomous life. Autonomous. In order for it to be mine nothing must be permitted to occur upon it save by my dispensation.

>Toadvine sat with his boots crossed before the fire. No man can acquaint himself with everything on this earth, he said.

>Whatever exists, he [the judge] said. Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent. Only nature can enslave man and only when the existence of each last entity is routed out and made to stand naked before him will he be properly suzerain of the earth.

>Because he is a special kind of keeper. A suzerain rules even where there are other rulers. His authority countermands local judgments.

>The judge tilted his great head. The man who believes that the secrets of this world are forever hidden lives in mystery and fear. Superstition will drag him down. The rain will erode the deeds of his life. But that man who sets himself the task of singling out the thread of order from the tapestry will by the decision alone have taken charge of the world and it is only by such taking charge that he will effect a way to dictate the terms of his own fate.

>The freedom of birds is an insult to me. I'd have them all in zoos.
>>
>>82659207
NC-17 is a box-office death sentence, my man
>>
>>82662130
Well, R movies are being successful now (well, just superheroes movies, but Logan was just a modern western with Wolverine, so that's a beggining)
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.