[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree that Alien: Resurrection was way fucking better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

File: 39WJ2YoLoWyDHxpTIwWT7AOKtZT.jpg (51KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
39WJ2YoLoWyDHxpTIwWT7AOKtZT.jpg
51KB, 500x750px
Can we all agree that Alien: Resurrection was way fucking better than shit Aliens?
>>
yes its also better than Alien and Prometheus, hell its better than 2001
>>
>>82634102
I actually unironically enjoy Resurrection more than Aliens. It's just better in every way
>>
>>82634277
The main issue is the shift in tone. If it simply stuck with man-made abomination horror show, it'd be fabulous
>>
>>82634331
what? no the discourse of a mother protecting her child is constant in aliens and resurection. 3 and prometheus were total shitshows that missed the subtext and narrative, all you were left with was the bare shell of the story.
>>
>>82634277

Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one.
>>
>>82634394
I'm not arguing that, but the film makes this exceedingly dark with Ripley being the motherless product of an abomination and then, later, the progentator of an even worse abomination. This is pretty disturbing, but is interspliced with some jarring shifts into humor and genetic sci-fi action. It's a film that has a basketball prove yourself match up and infanticide.
>>
>>82634102
I've watched it several days ago. It's pretty good but Aliens is better.
>>
>>82634674

Go fuck yourself.
>>
Aliens is just a comedy. I couldn't take it seriously.
>>
>>82634102
>Wheadon quipfest
>better than anything
The worst Alien flick
>>
The best way to identify retarded millennials is if they talk shit about Aliens. Never met an intelligent, educated, mature person who didn't think that Aliens is a masterpiece.

It's the perfect test to filter real opinions from garbage.
>>
File: IMG_0314.gif (637KB, 400x182px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0314.gif
637KB, 400x182px
Yea, invincible Ripley was awesome.
>>
>>82634102
GOAT practical effects, the ayylmaos looking great.
>>
>>82635157
Apparently they spent like 2-3 hours getting that shot since Siggy refused to fake it. It was originally meant to last longer, but Perlman fucked it up by turning, looking straight at the camera and shouting "Did you see that?!"
>>
File: bait you call this bait.jpg (63KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait you call this bait.jpg
63KB, 625x626px
>>82634102
>>
>>82635111

Dude I have been a hardcore Alien fan for over 15 years and I've always had a soft spot for Resurrection over Aliens.

Your cocooned opinions are just like every other fag who claims their "intelligent, educated and mature". There are more people with different opinions you know. Get your head out of your ass.
>>
Whedon comes through in the script too much for it to be enjoyable, but Jeunet's artistic direction is pretty good.
>>
>>82634102
No. But we can agree the ship was better. The Betty was made of sex and love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zahL_eCU3Ds
>>
>>82634102
This contrarian apologism has gone far enough. Resurrection is still the worst movie in the franchise and it is extremely unlikely that anything worse than it comes out.
>>
>>82637823
Nah man. The guy is being a faggot but there's no way Resurrection is the worst when Prometheus, AVP and Alien 3 exist.
>>
>>82634102
Alien Resurrection is easily the best Aliens film ever made. It is also my second personal best movie. No 1 is Human Centipede 2.
>>
>>82634102

I unironically like all alien movies.

Also, everyone who doesn't like aliens was born in between 1994-99 or they are a media student. Did media courses in university and I was triggered quite a bit when I realized that people born in between said years didn't know anything about cinema history. I can do a small list what these people hate.

>all 80's movies because they "look fake"
>arnold movies are literally the worst
>practical effects
>all horrormovies pre-2008 because they "look dumb"
>if it's directed by any other director besides Nolan, Tarantino or Allen
>>
>>82634102
No, only a moron with shit taste would agree with opinion.

The only Alien movie that Alien resurrection might be better than would be Alien 3.
>>
>>82637997

Excluding AvP movies.
>>
File: 123843895.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
123843895.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
>>82634102
It is unironically the most comfy alien movie to date.

Plus that underwater scene.
>>
>>82634102
No.
>>
>>82637874
What kind of contradictory method of evaluation led you to that conclusion?
>>
>>82634102
Probably one of the better pieces of cinema of recent years if I'm going to be brutally honest. Nothing quite compares to the stylistic approach to film making displayed in Resurrection. It really says something that the film makers were willing to make something so bold with an already established franchise. Audiences weren't ready when they first experienced it, I feel only now we are begging to fully un-pack the layers to this film.
>>
Is this Samefag General?
>>
All these faggots in this thread getting butthurt because they cant handle that people like resurrection more than their precious Ayyywium
>>
>>82638132
23 posters 30 replies
sure anon.
>>
File: elgyn.jpg (31KB, 576x298px) Image search: [Google]
elgyn.jpg
31KB, 576x298px
Alien resurrection was so comfy, i wish elgyn didnt die so early.
>>
>>82638090
If not for Jeunet and Weaver the movie would be a complete disaster. Being different is not a merit in itself if the execution blows. And it does, Jeunet wasn't good enough to make up for Whedon's terrible input.
>>
File: 1427596126887.jpg (17KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
1427596126887.jpg
17KB, 398x500px
>>82636135
Man I fucking love Perlman

He seems like the maddest cunt IRL
>>
>>82634102
Resurrection is like a protoResident Evil movie.
>>
>>82638081
The kind that wasn't contradictory.

Alien 3 was a throwback for the people who loved Alien but hated Aliens but it just wound up fucking over the ending of Aliens and being a much less interesting retread. The whole thing feels like one of those B-Movie knockoffs with a similar title you see at the dollar store like "Space Alien". The cheap runarounds through a crappy modern steel mill and underground storage just emphasized it more. You know the two places it really failed? Atmosphere and threat. You didn't have the nice sets of the other movies, and we're supposed to be terrified of something birthed from a dog which should by all accounts be even a lesser threat than the original Alien since it was bred from a dumb animal.

Prometheus was gorgeous but completely falls apart at the midway point. The people act so stupid and not in a fun way like some of the other movies. Won't rehash everything but everyone knows the sticking points.

AVP mostly hurt itself by missing all the grit from the other entries and turning the preds into a bunch of chumps. It explained why they were that way, being a bunch of kids but it just wasn't fun to watch that kind of story. The setup in general with aliens on earth was pretty silly. Setting it in the modern era was definitely a mistake, especially when all the previous AVP games and comics that people liked were set against the backdrop of the proper Alien timeline.

Resurrection had its own host of problems, but the band of misfits on the edge of civilized space getting fucked over felt a lot more like the space truckers I loved from Alien and I didn't mind the almost cartoony personalities of people because I enjoyed that with the marines in Aliens.
>>
>>82638643
>crappy modern steel mill and underground storage
>You didn't have the nice sets
>Prometheus was gorgeous
So you don't want to see steel mills in movies and you didn't care that Prometheus had good filmmaking. The rest is just whining that the plot wasn't what you would've written. I could say that Alien consisted of identical hallways and that it's just a dumb slasher full of idiot characters but that would be intentionally misleading and ignorant.
>>
>>82638906
Yeah, it's almost like looks matter a lot but can't save a shit script. What a novel concept.
>>
>>82638984
You don't watch scripts. Films are mostly not scripts but you're ignoring all the filmmaking that isn't scriptwriting because you believe none of it affects the content and quality of film.
>>
honestly resurrection was my second fave after aliens when i was 13. its still fun but they squandered a lot of what they couldve done unfortunately. it still has some great actors and scenes
>perlman as monkey man hanging upside down dual wielding
>brad dourif as the mad scientist getting eaten by the hybrid
>that really hairy guy who looks like a cross between eugene levy and the cigar guy from quantum leap
>tuco salamanca
but aliens just had so much more, a better setting, characters and dialogue, plus te advantage of model sets and practical effects, not to mention ole jc.
>>
>>82639154
>you're ignoring all the filmmaking that isn't scriptwriting because you believe none of it affects the content and quality of film.

Except I didn't. In fact I blasted Alien 3 for lacking the filmmaking part of it.

You can render a big horseshoe ship as pretty as you like, but rolling it like a wheel and having the people run in line with it is just plain stupid, no matter how you shoot it.

They're opposite shitty extremes.
>>
The Soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_HBEsql2KQ
>>
Resurrection was way better than 3. That shitshow took itself seriously, R was campy as fuck.
>>
>>82639284
such a good soundtrack
>>
>>82638188
I'd drink cube whisky with him any day.
>>
>>82639338
God if this wasn't Alien it would be amazing.
The setting is incredible but then the human/alien turns up and fucks up the story into a comedy.

>Swimming cgi aliens
Couldn't take it seriously.

Winona Ryder was great as well.

Better than Alien 3 that put me to sleep.
>>
File: IMG_3029.png (301KB, 707x565px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3029.png
301KB, 707x565px
Given that Jones was the last surviving member of the nostromo and peacfully died of old age, did Weyland consult him about getting the crew's shares in the bonus situation?
>>
File: -1.jpg (95KB, 600x260px) Image search: [Google]
-1.jpg
95KB, 600x260px
>>82634674
>she is severely fuckable isnt she?
>>
>When the xenomorph bites the generals skull and he pulls out pieces of his own brain

wew
>>
File: alien-resurrection-97-dan-h.jpg (32KB, 656x278px) Image search: [Google]
alien-resurrection-97-dan-h.jpg
32KB, 656x278px
>>82639602
Watching that as a kid really fucked me up desu
>>
I'd be willing to concede that Resurrection is a bit better than Alien, but the assembly cut of Alien 3 is leagues above both.
>>
>>82634102
No. AND YOU KNOW THIS, MAN.
>>
>>82639270
You didn't talk about filmmaking, you called Alien 3's sets crappy without elaborating at all. Nothing about how those sets were shot, you just don't like steel mills because they are out of place. Why? We'll never know. Alien and Aliens are full of storage rooms too but I guess you didn't mind that. Alien 3's setting is in line with all the industrial imagery of the previous films, but it looks hollow and decrepit because it reflects Ripley's hopeless situation.

>big horseshoe ship
I don't know how long it's been since you watched Prometheus but those characters running from the engineer donut are dead anyway because their ship rammed into the donut and blew up, stranding them on an alien moon a trillion miles from human civilisation. That does affect the context of the scene.
>>
>>82634102
No. Fuck off Joss
>>
>>82634102
Eh, I just rewatched the series and you could make a case for Alien 3, but probably not this.

I liked parts of it, but it felt confused and incomplete. They should have done more with Winona's character.

Not that it really matters. The great thing about the series (as far as blockbuster franchises go) is that each film is completely different to the last. Can you really compare Aliens and Resurrection? They're not that similar. It's a Cameron action movie vs. an insane B-movie.
>>
>>82639451
The Corporation were never going to give a bunch of lowly truckers bonuses, that's the entire situation
>>
>>82634102
No. It doesn't deserve it's hate, it's way better than Prometheus (or how I called it: "God did it: The Movie, sponsored by the catholic church"), but no way near as good as Aliens.
>>
>>82634102
I've seen Alien Resurrection way more times than i have aliens, where aliens is the better film, I like alien Resurrection way more
>>
>>82640371
>(or how I called it: "God did it: The Movie, sponsored by the catholic church")

Which subreddit did you crawl out of?
>>
>>82640482
The movie is anti scientific and his whole fucking message is "OMG! ONLY CHRISTIANS ARE RIGHT!!!!111!!!!!11!!!!1!!!". I was wondering because Ridley Scott is at least agnostic. And at the end it transformed to a shitty Splatter movie, one of the worst sci fi movies of all time, I like Battlefield Earth more than this.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.