[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I finally watched Synecdoche, New York, after seeing it called

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 19

File: be6c80b8b5d5a8be28d7fb814b2b4265.jpg (237KB, 933x1400px) Image search: [Google]
be6c80b8b5d5a8be28d7fb814b2b4265.jpg
237KB, 933x1400px
So I finally watched Synecdoche, New York, after seeing it called kino here. Did I get memed?

>Hoffman doesn't act, he just looks at the fucking ground and mumbles
>Weird time skips
>Nothing makes sense
>Woman moves into a house on fire
>Everyone is fucking weird
>Goes to see his daughter who doesn't even react to him pounding the glass
>Admits to homosexual anal sex to his daughter out of nowhere
>Weird tall dude follows him and starts playing his part
>Goes to a flat, called Ellen, accepts it and starts cleaning, all before we even meet Ellen in the play
>Everyone's living in a post apocalyptic movie scene at the end

I 'get' it, he killed himself at the start of the movie, but am I too stupid for this apparent kino? A depressing, muddled and confusing film should be kino despite these things, not because of it
>>
ur a pleb please kill urself thankyou
>>
>i 'get' it he killed himself

lmao

legit one of my favorite films though, definitely best since 2000
>>
>>82538981
erm, no offense but you don't sound like the mature type of moviegoer that would appreciate cerebral films like these.
>>
>2deep4u

just joking, it's one of those films pretentious people pretend to understand when it's actually shallow schlock
>>
>>82538981
Here's the thing, dude.
You're not even a pleb... you're a moron. You're a barely literate jackass that has no business speaking about high-end cinema. I'm not gonna tell you to "go back" or "stick to capeshit" because you're probably gonna do those things on your own anyway.
> "Everyone is weird"
lmao I bet GotG2 was fucking RAD though, right?
>>
I watched it last week after seeing it on her. Definitely got memed.
Got memed on Happiness as well.
Overdosing was the best thing he ever did
>>
>>82538981
You're a colossal pleb and possibly a woman.
>>
>>82539017
>>82539053
>>82539055
>>82539090

you guys are literally just convincing me more and more that this is a /tv/ meme. I spent two hours wading through repetitive scenes that made zero sense

Why did the psychologist woman have blisters and bruises around her shoes? Why was Caden suddenly in the TV ads? Why did he turn into fucking Ellen at the end? I'm honestly asking

>>82539100
>>82539070
That's the impression I'm getting
>>
the old guy was the creator of the original play, the movie takes place in a layer of a play

it's like inception
>>
>>82539211
>I spent two hours wading through repetitive scenes that made zero sense
huh, it's like you don't even bother to think for yourself. funny that.
>>
>>82539211
>he doesn't understand Sartiran existentialism
>he doesn't know who fucking Kafka is
>he lists explained parts of the story as "plotholes" because he's too stupid to follow along
You're like, what, 16? 17?
>>
absolute 100% kino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF9yFCSICE8
>>
>>82539245
help me, honestly.

I'm trying.

>>82539303
22. No, I don't know how Kafka is. I don't see why people go crazy for these self indulgent wank fests of films where they feel smug for 'getting it' over actually critically appraising a film

Where was it ever explained how he starts Ellen's job at his ex wife's place before Ellen is even introduced? Why is the psychologist bruised and blistered?
>>
>>82539211
>Why did the psychologist woman have blisters and bruises around her shoes?
Caden has a fascination with decay, specifically of the human body as a result of age. Aging and the futility of art in the face of messy, decaying mortality is the albatross of the film.

So you see him pee green, get psychosis (which he has to explain is the legion-kind, not the mental kind) and watch his his daughter die from a body disease (tattoo ink poisoning).

>Why was Caden suddenly in the TV ads?
I don't remember which ones you're specifically talking about. The one about his therapist's book? Either way the world is a projection of his mental state. It's not a literal reality.

>Why did he turn into fucking Ellen at the end?
I don't know what you mean by this.

You could read a review or analysis or two y'know, instead of getting all pissy about getting "memed" by a film you haven't even begun to think about critically.
>>
I didn't find it that engaging and personally didn't get much from the film. I should watch it again sometime.

>>82539217
This, it's pretty obvious unless you're bored out of your mind that far in i guess.
>>
File: sunny904-1001.jpg (51KB, 720x406px) Image search: [Google]
sunny904-1001.jpg
51KB, 720x406px
>>82539413
kafka is a codeword for normie trying to be deep.
>>
>>82538981
The act of watching this movie is an ACTIVE one. Like, you actually have to make an effort to pick up some of the themes and messages and not just have it spoon fed to you. Also, each person will get something different out of this movie depending on their general outlook on life and if they watch it more then once. So what im saying is no one can explain this movie to you and have it be 100% accurate but if your too retarted to think for yourself have this dog fucker hold your hand through the movie and explain it to you so you can kind of get it. https://youtu.be/rjqYpsuBrPU
>>
>>82539413

so go and read the trial (the novel they mention in the fucking movie that hazel is embarrassed for having not read) and try again

the reason people love it is because of its levels of complexity, meaning, and absolute rejection of commercial appeal
>>
>>82538981
>it's a shit opinion

Kill yourself you fat fuck
>>
>>82539413
>Where was it ever explained how he starts Ellen's job at his ex wife's place before Ellen is even introduced?
>Why did he turn into fucking Ellen at the end?

oh I see what you mean. Ellen is the cleaning lady, correct? That means she represents someone who is able to instill order from chaos. Caden "becomes" her in order to try and regain order from his chaos (career wise, family wise, sanity wise).

by the end when he meets the real Ellen, the two are perfectly in sync, with her instructing his life by earpiece, which leads to a culmination of purpose, which is ultimately his death.

by the way, the more abstract stuff that has interpretive answers are literally all spelled out for you on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383028/faq
>>
>its all explained if you watch it differently
>research other sources to find meaning
>no trace of any answer can be found in this thread
Confirmed for a timewaste meme
>>
>>82538981
This post memed me
>>
File: 1431721230851.jpg (76KB, 645x858px) Image search: [Google]
1431721230851.jpg
76KB, 645x858px
>>82539651
>by the way, the more abstract stuff that has interpretive answers are literally all spelled out for you on imdb:
>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383028/faq

fucking get this shit out of here, if someone can't glean something from the film itself it's not worth them reading it on some imdb page

>>82539710
>its all explained if you watch it differently
>research other sources to find meaning

fuck this, if you watched the film and didn't get anything from it just move on
>>
>>82538981
Dont worry YMS is making a review of this movie for like 5 years now, it will explain everything to you
>>
>>82539825
eh, information should be democratic and available to everyone. if he's too dumb to think for himself, at least he can't accuse other people of being pretentious when analysis is already out there. he's just being a lazy capeshit drone.
>>
>>82539906
Don't you see? The procrastination is a part of the beauty of a film like this! The amount of time it takes for me to make my analysis video is directly proportionate to the genius of the film itself!
>>
>>82538981
die
>>
>>82538981
Kill yourself brainlet
>>
>>82540014
>hates people who actually engage with art intellectually
at least you recognize that you're too dumb for film.
>>
>>82539932
i sort of sympathize with this on one hand but in practice in results in these abortions of people who regurgitate analysis instead of making their own observations. They're like morons whose brains have a marbling of prosthetic intelligence throughout. It's a scary kind of individual to meet if you ever get to talking with someone and slowly realize they're an idiot propped up by the internet.
>>
File: 1456627740321.jpg (85KB, 561x488px) Image search: [Google]
1456627740321.jpg
85KB, 561x488px
>somewhere maybe some day, maybe somewhere far away
>>
No you didn't "get" it
>>
this is a movie for 115-130 semi-brainlets to feel smawt about themselves

prove me wrong
>>
>>82540088
settle down, i'm just ribbing YMS for his procrastination. He's notoriously lazy. It doesn't take actual years to write an analysis for this film, not that he's actually spending any time working on it.
>>
>>82540138
Yeah, at least I can admit I'm an idiot and don't get most of it

The thing that annoys me though is that it seems people are so quick to glorify this movie to show that they understand it. The film is dense and confusing and instead of that being a turn off, there are some that use that in a way to feel superior to others to show how smart that are

Okay everyone I'll go read Kafka. Was he the one who wrote about a kid who turned into a beetle?
>>
>>82540264
oh my bad. I don't actually know what YMS is.
>>
>>82540251
Prove me right
>>
File: cuze.jpg (36KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
cuze.jpg
36KB, 655x527px
Charlie fucking layed it out for us in plain english so normies could understand. The priest yells this at you not because it sounds cool but because its important.

"Everything is more complicated than you think. You only see a tenth of what is true. There are a million little strings attached to every choice you make. You can destroy your life every time you choose. But maybe you won’t know for twenty years! And you may never ever trace it to its source. And you only get one chance to play it out. Just try and figure out your own divorce…

And they say there’s no fate, but there is, it’s what you create. And even though the world goes on for eons and eons, you are only here for a fraction of a fraction of a second. Most of your time is spent being dead, or not yet born. But while alive, you wait in vain wasting years for a phone call or a letter or a look from someone or something to make it all right, but it never comes. Or it seems to, but it doesn’t really.

So you spend your time in vague regret or vaguer hope that something good will come along, something to make you feel connected, something to make you feel cherished, something to make you feel loved. And the truth is is, I feel so angry! And the truth is, I feel so fucking sad! And the truth is, I’ve felt so fucking hurt for so fucking long and for just as long, I’ve been pretending I’m okay, just to get along!

I don’t know why. Maybe because…no one wants to hear about my misery…because they have their own.

Fuck everybody. Amen."

Do you get it now?
>>
It's funny how people yell at the OP for being a moron and not understanding it and then when asked to explain the movie they sound like ancient aliens dude
>>
>Hoffman doesn't act, he just looks at the fucking ground and mumbles
Eh. I liked the part where he broke down at his daughter's nanny in Germany.
>Weird time skips
I don't really know why that's an automatic downside
>Nothing makes sense
Eh
>Woman moves into a house on fire
It's dramatic irony that gives away how she'll die later that's made weird and humorous by the casual dialogue. It's part of the play, not the outside story I believe.
>Everyone is fucking weird
I don't see why that's automatically bad
>Goes to see his daughter who doesn't even react to him pounding the glass
That's what makes it sad though
I'll be honest the homosexual hints and two or three mentions of him being a woman are something I still don't really get. I think it was more of a statement of how his situation is more universal which is hammered home at the end. Maybe it's just related to how a girl plays his part in the play later?
>Weird tall dude follows him and starts playing his part
Again I think it's about the universal nature of his problems that makes the guy mirror him.
>Goes to a flat, called Ellen, accepts it and starts cleaning, all before we even meet Ellen in the play
Same thing
>Everyone's living in a post apocalyptic movie scene at the end
Just death imagery to relate to his play failing and his own death I guess?

>I 'get it', he killed himself at the start of the movie
I don't think that happened, maybe I'm remembering wrong.
>>
>>82539090
Because its impossible to like Synecdoche New York and GotG2 right?
I want insecure underage plebbitors to leave.
>>
>>82539100

happiness is goat. synechdoche in unwatchable psued bait
>>
>>82540444
Stop samefagging you retard
>>
>>82538981
Straight up garbage movie desu

And it's not a case of not getting it if you don't like it

The state of /tv/ is in perpetual decline and I'm even surprised that faggots here now give unanimous praise as if it's some sort of masterpiece

I guess when all that's posted is cape shit and blacked threads it's easy to get your head up your own ass, time to leave this shit hole cause honestly you'd find better discussion on some Reddit forums for people who actually have some sort of cinematic experience rather than these teenagers circle jerking this embarrassing movie
>>
oh nice I might watch this I didn't know Philip Seymour Coffin was in it.
>>
>>82540553
Then what is it a case of, because you didn't actually offer any actual criticism.
>>
>>82540553
back to your containment board /v/eddit
>>
>>82540553

t. reddit brainlet
>>
>>82540272
Dude, you're fine as long as you don't try and act like you understood it without actually understanding it which you didn't. Good art needs to be challenged in order to hold up under any scrutiny so a film that's as highly regarded as this deserves to have it's legacy called into question. There isn't some meter that's only at 13% that if you rewatch the film 10 times will fill up and suddenly it'll be a great movie to you. If you didn't get anything from it, that's the bottom line. Art will only mean certain things to specific people based on their experiences and outlook on the world. Acting like what differentiates someone who 'gets' something from a film like this from someone who doesn't is a black and white variable like whether they're intelligent/unintelligent is retarded.
>>
>>82540610
>>82540609
>>82540593
Try to keep up
http://www.nypress.com/altered-ego/
>>
>>82540672
>linking to Armond White
>unironically

yikes!
>>
>>82540672
Oh, you
>>
>ITT: OP and his nu/tv/ defense force that should stick to the big bang theory
>>
>>82538981
brainlet
>>
>>82540453
>>Weird tall dude follows him and starts playing his part
>Again I think it's about the universal nature of his problems that makes the guy mirror him.
Nah, it's the nature of the Caden himself. This creepy guy was obsessed with Caden his whole life, and this fame and understanding is something Caden seeks (as he thinks) for all his life, but the truth is, he doesn't give a shit about just that, he wants validation from different people, or something else instead, he doesn't even know what he wants and values in life that is a trainwreck because of his ego and his life choices. I'm pretty sure tall dude tells Caden the same thing before offing himself. I don't remember the movie all too well now.
>>
File: 14384313466783.jpg (139KB, 529x546px) Image search: [Google]
14384313466783.jpg
139KB, 529x546px
>>82538981

Stopped reading here, am I getting memed? No one is this stupid
>>
>>82540842
>nature of Caden
sorry, didn't sleep for quite some time now
>>
File: man laughing at a cuckold.png (190KB, 325x382px) Image search: [Google]
man laughing at a cuckold.png
190KB, 325x382px
>>82539413
>help me, honestly
>help me think for myself
>>
OP here, i rewatched it at 15X speed during the course of this thread and i have changed my mind

thank you anons for making me give it a second chance
>>
File: King of _tv_.jpg (19KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
King of _tv_.jpg
19KB, 300x279px
>>82538981
Thee movie is shit, good taste OP, don't buy the film school hipster faggots and go read Armond White. The King of /tv/ already called that garbage out on being gay.
>>
File: baneposting in real life.webm (799KB, 960x408px) Image search: [Google]
baneposting in real life.webm
799KB, 960x408px
Was it, dare I say it, /ourfilm/?
>>
>>82540842
That makes more sense. I think I'm going to rewatch it this weekend
>>
>>82540969
she never got the reference
>>
>>82540851
Okay fine, I got that bit. He's lying to admit to something his ex wife obviously told the daughter to explain his absence in the hope of forgiveness. It's still fucking weird when you put together all the other hints to him wanting to pretty and merge male/female
>>
>>82540923
armond is gay lol
>>
>>82540453
His homosexual lover is called Eric, and I believe Ellen's husband is called Eric although I might be misremembering

Either way: KINO
>>
>>82540842
I think weird tall dude is more of a visage of Caden's future, in the vein of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. The film is all about Caden's mental projections of himself and those around him through external "actors".

The old guy (Sammy) is what he imagines his future self to be. So when Sammy kills himself it's meant to be a wake up call.
>>
>>82540672
>http://www.nypress.com/altered-ego/
Best film critic there is desu, only pseudo film school faggots and lobster brains will deny it.
>>82540711
>>82540719
>ONE HAS NOT truly suffered as a moviegoer until seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman perform a seizure in Synecdoche, New York.

Already in the opening he blos you pseuds the FUCK OUT!
>>
File: Aremond.png (176KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Aremond.png
176KB, 400x400px
>>82541019
/ourgay/
>>
File: smug_egg.png (219KB, 344x477px) Image search: [Google]
smug_egg.png
219KB, 344x477px
>>82541066
It was a great performance, and Armond has zero authority as a serious critic and one hundred percent authority as a professional meme

In fact, Armond hating it is the greatest seal of approval he could ever give, thanks for confirming SNY's kino status
>>
>>82541066

>controversial negro hits out at film with all white cast he didn't get

how surprising
>>
>>82540553
>>82540672
8/10, good b8
>>
>>82541148
this
>>
>>82541148
>>82541184
>this is the qualitify of Synocdouche New York posters
Not even arguments senpai
>>
File: 1492298731358.png (396KB, 1832x2366px) Image search: [Google]
1492298731358.png
396KB, 1832x2366px
>>82540412
My favorite scene of any movie ever
>>
File: sadfleck.jpg (16KB, 620x374px) Image search: [Google]
sadfleck.jpg
16KB, 620x374px
>>82540412
>the priest and Hoffman are now both dead
>>
its an experience like Inland Empire. most of it doesnt make sense as you watch it but it's a fun ride. how it starts normal and gets more and more absurd with the warehouses inside warehouses, actors playing actors. etc.
>>
>>82541148
>>82541927
>He made his directorial debut with Synecdoche, New York (2008), which was also well-received; film critic Roger Ebert named it "the best movie of the decade" in 2009.
That speaks volumes of it's poor quality.
>>
>>82541148
>>82541184
For some reason it's not posting my whole post and says connection error. SO FUCK YOU FOR IT!

>Now Kaufman’s been commissioned to make his own weird directorial debut, starring the unctuous Hoffman as his latest disgusting alter ego. It is as close to an abomination as 2008 cinema needs to come. Entirely too “clever”—filled with halfideas—this story about upstate New York theater director Caden Cotard (Hoffman) parades all of Kaufman’s neuroses: sexual frustration, creative surfeit (not a creative block), body hatred and celebrity paranoia.
>Kaufman was born in New York City to a Jewish family
>>
>>82541148
>>82541184
>>82541927
>>82542223
>Pity those nerds and fashion-sheep who´ll waste time trying to connect Kaufman’s symbols, cite the many David Lynch references and puzzle for ways to use “synecdoche” in daily conversation.
>>
>>82542809
2400 calle
>>
>>82542775
>>82542809
Can you only operate on the level of copypaste or do you have any original thoughts of your own?
>>
>>82542809
>and puzzle for ways to use “synecdoche” in daily conversation.
That's rich coming from a person who uses words like "quiddities" to give his positive reviews of commercialized children's films pseudo-intellectual weight.
>>
It's definitely one of those films I'll need to watch again.
>>
File: 26b.jpg (63KB, 600x408px) Image search: [Google]
26b.jpg
63KB, 600x408px
>>82538981
>pleb watches movie
>focuses on every pixel so hard to not be pleb
>miss the entire movie like a pleb

>Synecdoche, New York
pic related
>>
>>82540412
>PIG FUCK
>>
File: okkid.png (594KB, 785x820px) Image search: [Google]
okkid.png
594KB, 785x820px
>>82542737
kys
>>
>>82538981

malkovich, adaptation and eternal sunshine are all superior

who ever got the idea kaufman can direct himself is an idiot desu
>>
File: 14384313466782.jpg (88KB, 529x546px) Image search: [Google]
14384313466782.jpg
88KB, 529x546px
>>82544878
>malkovich
>superior
>>
>>82545008
Malkovich?
>>
File: 1493005775186.gif (67KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1493005775186.gif
67KB, 380x380px
Trite overrated crape, so much so that it's in my top 3 overrated of all time:

1. Mulholland Drive
2. The Sound of Music
3. Synecdoche, New York
>>
>>82539492

This.
>>
>>82545082
All great films, great job /tv/
>>
>>82538981
There's nothing to get. Charlie Kaufman is a numale who makes movies about being a numale, which seems to consist of a lot of self-hatred, occasional pity sex with women, and acting like the realization that we're all going to grow old and die is some kind of deep epiphany.
>>
>>82542775
>For some reason it's not posting my whole post and says connection error. SO FUCK YOU FOR IT!
You need to close your browser and re open it after you press airplane mode to make it seem like you're not samefagging and arguing with yourself.
>>
>>82545666
This post is numale
>>
>>82545666

this, all it is is woody allen plus hallucinogenics
>>
>>82545861
I don't think you've ever taken hallucinogenics
>>
Had a couple of friends that loved this movie. They would also date women but while drunk they turn into fags. This movie was made for that kind if "men".
>>
>>82546383
>but while drunk they turn into fags.
How do you know :^)
>>
>>82546835
I went to parties with them. It's a fucking movie for closeteers.
>>
>>82547014
>parties
Right
>>
File: cringe.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
cringe.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>82547014
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.