[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain why it's bad Hardmode: don't use the word

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12

File: p11928964_b_v8_aa.jpg (190KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p11928964_b_v8_aa.jpg
190KB, 960x1440px
Explain why it's bad
Hardmode: don't use the word 'reddit'
>>
>>82517463
unappealing animation and disgusting burping and vomit.
>>
It's not. It's just grossly overrated.
>>
the shows not bad but the fan base is
>>
Cuck show
>>
File: Ness.jpg (130KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ness.jpg
130KB, 1920x1080px
It panders to a very large demographic while hiding under the guise of being something unique and special to a small group of people. Quirky humour and being part of "nerd culture" dogma are often signs that something appeals to a reddit audience. Rick and Morty is a great example of "mass market nerd" shit. It has a reputation of being WHACKY and OFFENSIVE to its fans and yet nobody who actually watches it would ever be offended by anything on the show. Its perfectly sterile and safe.

Rick and Morty appeals to the lowest common denominator of the modern milleninal demographic while at the same time PRETENDING to be thoughtful, challenging, and unique. That is why it is despised. Its fast food for plebian masses.
>>
>>82517463
go to bed justin
>>
Tidder.
>>
>>82517631
but it is actually smart and manages to combine sci-fi ideas with the narration and storytelling, something that only very few sci-fi series manage to do right
>>
File: literally-reddit-the-person.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
literally-reddit-the-person.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
>>82517463
Harmonmode: explain it without using actually natural dialogue structure and simply phrase it as a long-winded expository epigram about human nature delivered by your "intelligent" MarySue character tailored for pseudoadults to craft an desperate delusion of afinity towards
>>
>oh shit my picklerick thread didn't get traction better start a new one

remember, sage in the options field.
>>
>>82517631
>only managed one sentence before saying reddit
lol
>>
I actually think that its a good show but that discussion of it belongs on /co/
>>
>>82517631
>while hiding under the guise of being something unique and special to a small group of people

Name 5 examples of when R&M tried to push the idea that it's meant for a very small and special group of people. What are some sci-fi movies or shows that don't pander to people interested in sci-fi, aka nerds?
>>
File: 1486374806701.jpg (58KB, 984x668px) Image search: [Google]
1486374806701.jpg
58KB, 984x668px
Its not. As far as cartoons go its fairly entertaining.

The insufferable thing about it is the fanbase. Its 'LE SO QUIRKY AND RANDUM'. Its the 'I'm not like other girls' of tv shows.
>>
>>82517753
>Its the 'I'm not like other girls' of tv shows.
well, as far as i can tell, there isn't any other tv show comparable to Rick and Morty
>>
File: 48122ccb11a0252893e6602f4800347f.jpg (186KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
48122ccb11a0252893e6602f4800347f.jpg
186KB, 1200x797px
ehh it's OK, check em
>>
>>82517631
I think your main problem with the series is the fanbase, which is a valid criticism since they are cringe worthy as fuck.
But the series doesn't really tries to be overly smart, it's just nihilistic humour with a focus on sci fi.
>>
>>82517811
Futurama.
>>
For me, it's appeal doesn't last. It was pretty funny and "deep" for about a month before I got tired of it and realized every episode is the same shit.
>>
>>82517899
futurama is just simpsons in the future
it doesn't really care much about the sci-fi elements
>>
>>82517463

I actually find Rick and Morty sometimes oddly similar to Stanislaw Lem's short stories about Ijon Tichy. They are obviously better and much more classy, but still there is something similar.

None of you fucking Anglos know what I am talking about anyway.
>>
File: 1480194209347.jpg (3MB, 1565x2823px) Image search: [Google]
1480194209347.jpg
3MB, 1565x2823px
It isn't really difficult to be a better franchise than one of the dullest franchises in the history of TV franchises. Seriously, each episode following the boy wonder and his quirky pals from across the universe as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from its posturing nihilism, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of "SCIENCE," all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Harmond was chosen to write the series; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion through dipping-sauce merchandising. Rick and Morty might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the first season was good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the concept was terrible. As I watched, I noticed that every time a character exposited, the author wrote that the character would belch while blabbering catch-phrases incoherently.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time one of these phrases was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Harmon's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Rick and Morty by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are watching Rick and Morty at 21 or 22, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you watch "Rick and Morty" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>82517927
>it doesn't really care much about the sci-fi elements

Neither does Rick and Morty. Its fantasy with a sci-fi coat of paint. Rick might as well be a sorceror who spouts off about magic instead of science.
>>
CalArts meets Family Guy and discovers motion tweens
>>
>>82517927
>futurama is just simpsons in the future
So you never watched it then.
>>
Leddit
>>
>>82517927
Futurama is nothing like the Simpsons. And it really does have the same whimsical approach to its setting that R&M does, everything has this faux-futurist vibe to it. Futurama did it with visual aesthetics, but R&M does it more with jargon and names. Both take the same approach of introducing amazing magic-like technology with jaded cynicism.
>>
File: fuck.this.gif (973KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.this.gif
973KB, 500x289px
>>82518079
Someones (or just one asshole) keeps spamming this image as if its dogma.

Fuck off I like ASoIaF, Harry Potter, Wuthering Heights and TKaM and I don't consider them shit-tier and neither do a lot of people, This autistic contrarianism at its finest.
>>
It's literally Redd*t: the show
>>
>>82518234
You're absolutely right, none of those books are as close to shit-tier as Rick and Morty is.
>>
>>82518085
let me give you an example:

remember the side plot where beth and jerry went to marriage-counseling to another planet?

There was the machine took the mental image one has of his spouse and made it real, and then jerrys image of monster-beth went rouge.

now, if it was futurama or any other sci-fi show, after the monster was loose, the machine would have been forgotten and the plot moved on. But in this case, the whole monster-beth used the machine as part of her plan.
And even better, the show took it even one step futher: to defeat the monster, they used the machine on a imagined jerry to create a perfect godess-beth.

This example shows that the creates of the show actually care about the sci-fi elements and put great thoughts into how to implement them into their story-telling.
>>
>>82518278
"Harmon's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing"
>>
Honestly it's almost entirely the fan base. It can't be said enough. They treat it like dogma when it's just ok. Space Dandy is an animated sci-fi show that just does everything better. Also Rick is just annoying
>>
>>82517463
*burp* GOD ISN'T REAL *buuurp*
>"heheh" the Redditor chuckled, as he has so many times before for the hilarious quips.

*burp* want to hear something funny, m-m-m-morty?*buuuuurp*
>"heheh... ehh?" the redditor chuckled, with a confused look he wondered and thought to himself "what could possible be funnier than that?"

*BRAAAAAP* WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!
>"AHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA" the Reddit burst into roaring laughter, unable to catch his breath he falls onto the floor and starts rolling, he didn't see it coming. After laughing for 5 minutes straight, the Redditor finally stood up from the floor and calmed himself enough to start the next episode.
>>
>>82517463
reddit
>>
>>82518382
Don't forget comedic gold like Mr Poopy-Butthole and SCHWIFTY HAHAHAHA
>>
Rick and Morty is the comedic equivalent of these early-youtube fail compilations, where the humour comes from the fact that your brain is being bombarded by a rapid succession of mildly amusing things (people getting hurt, usually from their own stupidity). This creates a sensation of instantaneous gratification followed by a brief period of anticipation of the next mildly amusing moment. It's a simple formula yet it works, this is why normies still waste hours of their office time on fail videos and cats doing things. To create an illusion that there's more to it than just keys being dangled in front of the infantilized audience, the show is coated in generic high concept sci-fi ideas and predictable 'sad' moments.

It's also REDDIT as fuck with obnoxious memes, catchphrases, and dude-so-wacky characters like Mr. Poopy Butthole™
>>
Often overly self indulgent and masturbatory, B plots of episodes are almost always completely terrible
>>
>>82517463
>le nihilism *burp* le morty
>>
>>82518551
>Mr. Poopy Butthole
DUDE DOES HE EVEN EXIST? THE TIME PARADOXES LMAO ITS LIKE NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON UP IN HERE
>>
>>82517463
It's not funny in the slightest
>>
>>82517463
>Explain why it's bad
Some people enjoy it.
>>
just want to say that I was calling it reddit & memey from the start
i didnt hop on a bandwagon like so many fairweather fredricks following the herd
>>
Episodes are hit or miss, you have abominations like the giant head and the two improvised commercial episodes, but then you also have the dog gaining self-awareness, when they split time and the memory parasites
>>
>>82517559
Ive never interacted with this "fan base" you keep talking about.
>>
>>82518655
Memory parasites is up there with channels in shittiness, as it is just an excuse to have lolsorandumb shit happen for 20 minutes.
>>
>>82517631
>Its perfectly sterile and safe.
Did you watched the episode where the goblin king raped morty?
>>
>>82518234
its a joke you autistic retard
>>
>>82518715
ATTEMPTED rape, cotton boy
>>
>>82518715
You just proved his point. From Morty's reaction the scene is framed like Morty was raped, but what actually happened is that he got briefly attacked and fought off the jelly bean king easily. In other words, the scene has all the ingredients of edge - dirty bathroom set-up, creepy naked molester dude saying creepy thing to an underage boy, but it doesn't have the balls to actually have the edge happen.
>>
>>82518712
>it is just an excuse to have lolsorandumb shit happen for 20 minutes.
Disagree, the whole episode was unique and never done before.
>>
>>82518715
You mean the scene where Morty overpowers his would-be Jelly Bean rapist? Yeah very transgressive
>>
>>82518745
>>82518777
so you think the depiction of almost-rape of a minor is "sterile and safe"?
>>
>>82518777
>creepy naked molester dude saying creepy thing to an underage boy, but it doesn't have the balls to actually have the edge happen
Even the 'edge' it tries for was safe--Rick just murders the Jellybean on the spot. Because the audience knows he was an evil badman rapist you can laff adn feel good.
>>
>>82518690
The fanbase is reddit.
>>
>>82519675
well I dont do the reddit
>>
Look at all you faggots in this thread with 50 tabs of thesaurus.com open trying to 1 up "le reddit plebs" by having "superior taste" without realizing you are the ultimate reddit.
>>
>>82521209
fuck you plebbit
>>
>>82517463
>cheap unappealing animation
>one of the most annoying voiced main characters only to be rivaled by Cosmo from fairly odd parents
>tries to be deep and have a moral while making diarrhea jokes and naming characters stuff like doctor vagina
>rarely humorous
>literal belching and gurgling noises in conversation that gets old extremely quick
>flat garbage art style
>"jokes" about faith where the punchline is just "fuck god" or "believers are dumb lol" every other episode
>only original jokes or things are over the top randomness
>eye sore causing crudely drawn cartoon
>futurama exists
>>
It's far up it's ass for its own good.

The show tries way too hard to be cool and deep and it ends up being obnoxious. Rick is a prime example of this, they portray him as somebody perfect and the smartest guy ever which ends up being annoying as fuck since he is able to pull any crap out of his ass.
>>
File: 1.gif (2MB, 595x921px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
2MB, 595x921px
I TURNED MYSELF INTO A PLUMBUS MORTY
GET SCHLAMI
>>
>>82517463
ez mode: it's reddit
>>
>>82518278
Sounds like a late season bad episode of futurama
>>
>>82518873
Yes. If the minor is raped, however, that would prove Ness wrong. Dan Harmon plays it sterile and safe.
>>
>>82517463
>"Hardmode: Don't critize it legitametly, you have to use something other than the most fitting"
>>
Why is reddit bad? Why do people use this word if they don't like something here?
>>
>>82523486

inferiority complex

reddit is the popular chad and 4chan is the trenchcoat wearing weirdo
>>
>>82523486
reddit simply means bad. It's like "kino". Nobody using the word is really referring to the website or their interests.
>>
>>82523531
The 4chan part is accurate i guess but reddit isnt Chad. Reddit is the numale that hangs around girls doing them favours and shit constantly while getting nothing in return
>>
File: Screenshot_20170504-180307.jpg (408KB, 970x970px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170504-180307.jpg
408KB, 970x970px
>>82517463
What I dislike about R&M is the creator's obnoxious lack of a sincere & dedicated approach to the show. The creator's revel in their ironic detachment, exemplified most of all in their improv episodes. As if preemptively shielding themselves from criticism by releasing something deliberately half-assed. It is emblematic to me of the creator's lack of genuine insight or a lack of conviction in their own ability. Which would be understandable given the personalities behind the show itself.

Half-assing is only real philosophy of the creators. The show is conceived & shaped through a click-bait understanding of science, a lifetime of media addiction & the only partially digested nietzschean philosophy of the creators. It knowingly spouts the kind of lazy, autodidact, self-serving, personal philosophy of those weaned in the information-era: "Nothing really matters so do whatever you want."

It's a half-baked nihilism dressed up as cynical realism used to justify a shallow unexamined lifestyle of hedonistic "Dopamine is the greatest good". Ironically championed by those who consider themselves more knowledgeable than the rest of the world because they're armed with an internet connection and a wikipedia tab. It aims to make its audience feel smart & clever without making them think too hard. To validates the choices they've already made & reinforces their lifestyles. To makes them feel superior while downplaying their own shortcomings.

In other words. It's reddit.
>>
File: lllll.jpg (67KB, 619x412px) Image search: [Google]
lllll.jpg
67KB, 619x412px
>>82517463
All I ever see in threads like this are complaints about reddit and the fanbase.

What is objectively wrong with the show here? I watched it and at the end I found it a pleasant and enjoyable experience. It's not the second coming of christ or anything but It was fun and not a waste of time.

Seriously, I feel like most people here just hate the show to spite the insufferable fanbase
>>
Because it's for low-test fedora wearing pseudo-intellectuals
>>
>>82525279
>Reddit spacing
You have to go back.
>>
>>82517463
Are you an adult watching cartoons?
>>
>>82517463

It's not bad, it's not great. It's just a fucking cartoon.
>>
Unfunny jokes and shitty art/animation.
>>
File: stylish woman in confusion.jpg (28KB, 343x344px) Image search: [Google]
stylish woman in confusion.jpg
28KB, 343x344px
>>82518079
>Atlas Shrugged in God tier
Stopped reading right there
>>
Dan Harmon has Aspbergers Syndrome.

Google it
>>
>>82526218

>AS
>Not god tier
>>
File: IMG_1524.jpg (75KB, 1948x976px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1524.jpg
75KB, 1948x976px
>78 replies
>no pickle
/tv/ can't into big reveals
>>
>>82517463
It's not necesarily bad, it just got a little bit too self-referencial given that the normies fucking ADORE this show, and use it as an excuse to feel better than everyone else. Some episodes are REALLY good specially the later episodes of the first season, but by the second it got its head up its own ass so deep that it started vomiting and burping memes constantly that its fans desperately tried to repeat brainlessly (GET SCHWIFTY, TINY RICK, etc.)
>>
>>82526403
I could post a picture of a Libertarian with a fedora now to ridicule you but it would just be too easy.
>>
>>82526320
So do I and I can't stand the show, what gives?
>>
>>82517494
Nobody replied to you because your response is irrefutable.
>>
There's an episode where Rick gets butthurt because a hivemind doesn't want to be with him so at the end of the episode he attempts suicide and I remember my friends thought this was some profound, novel, emotionally compelling scene but to me it came off as a very awkward, weird attempt at having an emotional impact amid the animated randomness and humor. It's kind of like when Family Guy tries to do a serious scene or episode and step out of the medium, but it is what it is for a reason - the writers can't make something moving. They can make mindless entertainment and their talent ends there.
>>
>>82526403

If Rick and Morty is reddit plebian tier, then Atlas Shrugged/Ayn Rand is /pol/ mouthbreather plebian shit.
>>
>>82518079
God I love this pasta. also
>Atlas Shrugged on god-tier
Everytime
>>
>>82524806
i know this is pasta but it's really true. redlettermedia falls to the same ironic bad trap to shield themselves from critics
>>
>>82517511
This is where the thread should've stopped.
It is not bad, just grossly overrated and if you don't agree with this you're a child
>>
>>82517463
It's not bad, it's just mediocre and formulaic random vulgar humor with some occasional deeper themes mixed in that appeals to some people

Other shows have used this formula and done better (such as venture brothers for more dramatic treatment or family guy for more comedic bent), so this show just doesn't hold much for me
>>
daily reminder that /tv/ loved the shit of this show before it became popular

codeword for popular is reddit
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.