[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Gandalf falling faster than a sword >Catches it in fr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

>Gandalf falling faster than a sword
>Catches it in free fall
>Proceeds to fight a Balrog at terminal velocity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHFm94-zdYs

What the fuck was Jackson thinking?
>>
In the books, they just fell.
>>
>>82483441
He's a wizard, he can do whatever shit he likes
>>
Not to mention all the carbon monoxide produced by the balrog, I mean how good is the ventilation in the mines?
>>
it is a known fact that the gravitational constant of Moria is different from the rotational velocidensity of Mount Doom
>>
Every time I see a clip like this I'm so glad I never watched the films. The books are too beautiful for this shit.
>>
File: 1253105523193.jpg (24KB, 430x360px) Image search: [Google]
1253105523193.jpg
24KB, 430x360px
>>82483441

Gandalf weighs more than the sword so he falls faster. Dumb frog poster.
>>
>>82483441
Gandalf is an angel he does whatever the fuck he wants and some little pussy thing like gravity wont stop him
>>
Why didn't the eagles just catch him midfall and fly him back up?
>>
>>82483441

he is a literal fucking WIZARD dude
>>
He used tiny invisible eagles to guide the sword into his hand.

Read the books you fucking pleb.
>>
What makes you think this is not some superlight elven sword +10 slaying?
>>
where is the problem here? gandalf is heavier than the sword so of course he would fall faster than it.
>>
>>82483586

>Heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones

>American education
>>
File: 14.png (143KB, 320x199px) Image search: [Google]
14.png
143KB, 320x199px
>>82483441
Honestly, terminal velocity depends roughly on the mass to surface area ratio. The sword is not aerodynamically stable, and would therefore tumble instead of falling straight down - exposing all the flats and wrinkly bits. Gandalf could control his angle like a sydiver does, falling head first. So it's not inconceivable that he would catch both the sword and the balrog.
>>
W I Z A R D
>>
Aye, but at what tax?
>>
>>82483491
They're very big mines, with lots of open space. And I imagine the dwarves had some sort of ventilation system, yes.
>>
>>82483931
In atmospheric conditions, objects with higher density tend to hit the ground faster.
>>
>>82484013
Refer to >>82483937
>>
>>82483911
This. Holy shit, did people really think some sword would be heavier than some tall-ass wizard? lol, dumbasses.
>>
>>82483441
more important is... what was morias dwarves taxes policy??
>>
>>82484100
The sword has greater density, but what matters is the mass:drag ratio. A tumbling sword may well be slower than a sydiving wizard, because it has a very flat cross section.
>>
>>82484167
It didnt fucking have one George, Moria was abandoned remember?
>>
>>82484201
yeah, but what about golden days of moria?? i mean, when there were dwarves, when everything was going smooth like a nice turd out of asshole
>>
>>82484247
Something kike-ish no doubt.
>>
File: optimal aerodynamics.png (45KB, 1858x931px) Image search: [Google]
optimal aerodynamics.png
45KB, 1858x931px
>>82483441
Gandalf knew aerodynamics
>>
>>82484358
How the fuck could Gandalf possibly have known that?
>>
>>82483441

So the talking to moths, eagles and horses wasn't the thing.

Or the 65 yr old fighting acrobatically.

You're complaining about something real people can do parachuting.
>>
>>82484419
Common sense + good metagame knowledge (he's basically a minor diety/angel)
>>
>>82484419
WIZARD
>>
>>82483441
Nigga that shit was the hottest shit when it came out in like 2002 and I was 12.
>>
>>82484530
Watching it in cinemas was insane for child-me.
>>
>>82484358
the sword is sharper tho
it should cut the air resistance and fall faster than gandalf
>>
>>82484358
The sword would fall faster even if it somehow maintained perfect horizontal balance. Nigga how much denser steel is than humans (basically water)
>>
>>82483861
>WHY WON'T YOU DIE, MITHRANDIR?
>Nanoeagles, Valaraukar. They fly in response to falling sensations! You can't hurt me, Flame of Udûn!"
>>
>>82483441
I loved this opening. I still remember sitting in the cinema being confused by why we were watching this scene over again. The wide angle shot of the balrog and Gandalf falling, with the music, is perfect.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.