[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>“Life doesn't have second takes,” Nolan asserted,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1448316615100.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1448316615100.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>“Life doesn't have second takes,” Nolan asserted, “nor should any self-respecting film. One take is enough. If a scene is ever interrupted by extenuating circumstances or otherwise unusable, I suppose I'll just have to write a new one.”
Is he right?
>>
Akira Kurosawa and Stanley Kubrick would often times do a hundred takes of one shot.
>>
>>82477304
She actually didn't know Nolan would let the shot run that long. She thought it was being cut before the death rattle.
>>
>>82477304
Bullshit quote, right?
>>82477344
And that's way TOO many. What's with artists being delusional?
>>
Yeah Buster Keaton did the same thing, it's the kïno way.
>>
File: shelly duvall 2.jpg (147KB, 510x640px) Image search: [Google]
shelly duvall 2.jpg
147KB, 510x640px
>>82477359
>What's with artists being delusional?
I don't know. Kubrick literally driving Duvall insane is part of the reason why her performance is so great in that movie.
>>
>>82477486
Is it? We'll never know for sure which take he chose of any scene in the final edit. There has to be some point of diminishing returns. The actor is maybe too stiff for scenes for a couple takes, then they're feeling it, then they're sick of it, then they're fucking losing their minds, and then it's just inhumane.

A talented actor doesn't need 100 takes to snap, any normal human being would be a husk of themselves at that point. And as we all know, she IS insane now, so that was always just a part of her.
>>
>>82477304
No he is an idiot. Also, you do have the problem with the opposite which is people like Fincher who want to do too many takes.
>>
>>82477304
a better take, is a better take
doesnt matter if it was the first one or the second one
his quote is retarded
>>
File: Untitled.png (28KB, 919x356px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
28KB, 919x356px
>>82477486
>tfw he completely mindfucked her and ruined her life for almost 40 years just to get a good performance out of her
A true kinographer.
>>
>>82477304
>"It doesn't matter how many takes is required," Kubrick stated, "and I have to drive my actors literally insane to get there, I'll do it. It doesn't matter if this is a fake quote, I agree with it."

We can all respect his dedication here, but don't you think he goes a little too far?
>>
>>82477571
i don't know about actors but a lot of musicians strive to use their first take otherwise a whatever they lay can come across as forced and contrived.
>>
Director Guild of America Interview
http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1202-Spring-2012/DGA-Interview-Christopher-Nolan.aspx

Q: You don’t like to shoot many takes, you only storyboard action scenes, you avoid shot lists, and you just use one camera for dramatic sequences. So how do you make directorial choices in the editing room given that you don’t seem to have a lot of coverage options?

A: Well, generally with the projects I'm working on, the script is based on some form of parallel action or shifting points of view, even when the story is linear. If you look at the last couple of reels on the Batman films, for example, they're all crosscut parallel action. What that means is, even though you shoot very specifically and efficiently, you have unlimited choices in the editing suite because you don't have to shoot complete continuity for a particular action scene. You can jump timelines or locations, so you have an enormous number of variables anyway. I'm not looking to make that process even more complicated.

Q: Does that mean you can edit more quickly?

A: On a film like Memento, I had a couple of days to edit each day’s shoot—which probably came out to a half-hour of dailies. On The Dark Knight Rises, to make that 10-week director’s cut I’ve basically got one day to cut three days of shooting—which comes to an hour or an hour and a half of footage. Just to sit there and watch it all is almost impossible, and I have massive, massive choices, even shooting in a pretty tight, efficient way.

Q: Without shot lists or storyboards, how do you keep track of everything?

A: In my head. I've always been able to visualize what I want mentally, and I can lie there at night and cut the film in my head, one shot at a time, all the way through the whole thing. Watching dailies, which everybody used to have to do but now seems to be much more of an option, is an important process for memorizing the material.
>>
>>82477768
On shit that they've laboriously rehearsed. Also they don't record the whole band in a studio at once. It's recorded on different tracks and put together at the end. So not really applicable.
>>
>>82477304
completely lucid
*closes eyes*
dead
>>
>>82477861
But Nolan movies are some of the most poorly edited bullshit I've ever seen.
>>
>>82477872
>implying actors can't rehearse

my point was more for the detrimental mindset that repetition can lead to
>>
That sounds like some bullshit mantra to cover his laziness
>>
This explains so much about his films.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.