[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did /tv/ think about this film? Is it Mel's best in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

What did /tv/ think about this film? Is it Mel's best in terms of scope and sheer madness as a concept?

Is it even close to historical accuracy? (not that it matters, but still)

And [spoilers] did you laugh at the Spanish guy's beard at the end?
>>
>>82464455
DUDE MAD MAX BUT LIKE MAYAN STYLE LMAO
>>
There's some autist on YouTube called history buff who will let you know

Overall it's a great movie, I still think the passion is Mel's best movie it has such an ethereal feel to it
>>
>>82464517
Haven't seen the Jesus movie yet, should get on that.
>>
Apocalypto's sets and props were faker than Waterworld's. Popeye-tier. It ruined the movie and prevents it from ever being considered a masterpiece, unlike Aguirre.

It just had terrible sets and props, totally fake and plastic-looking. Christ's cross in Passion looked really fakey too. Gibson doesn't have an eye for realism like Herzog does. His Viking epic will probably have boats that look like they belong in a theme park.

The trap in Apocalypto was fakey and so were the huts. Compare that to the grand scenery of Fitzcarraldo.

Also I forgot to mention that the spears in Braveheart were super fakey. This Gibson guy doesn't seem to care about realism when it comes to props and sets. His movies look so fucking fake compared to Herzog's.

Aside from the terribly fake-looking sets and props it was a really great movie. Mel Gibson has a real talent for directing. The final scene haunted me for years after I saw it. Shame he will never, ever be Herzog tier.
>>
I enjoyed it.
Only jews won't like it.
>>
File: Who could it be 2.jpg (48KB, 814x712px) Image search: [Google]
Who could it be 2.jpg
48KB, 814x712px
>>82464838
>>
>>82464455
It portrays beaners as the subhuman barbarians as they are.
>>
>>82464838
I was about to say how well done the sets were and how it's my favorite part of the film.

When they got to the city, I was in awe. Immersive as fuck
>>
>>82464455
it's a truly great film.
i liked it a lot.
>>
>>82465050
This more than this >>82464838
The setting and atmosphere were awe-inspiring
>>
>>82465050
Those pyramids, those painted ladies, those masks.

The fear in the villagers' eyes

Good stuff
>>
>>82465050
>>82465129
I too am awed by fakey too-clean sets and CG cities because I have never left the town I was born in and have extremely low information so I don't know any better.
>>
>>82464513
Ummm. No
>>
File: isabel_whack.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
isabel_whack.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>82465187
What a sad person you are. Maybe your imagination and sense of wonderment is broken.
>>
>>82465187
Well, the buildings would be clean back then wouldn't they? Hell, they're varnishing them as the film goes on.

The CG is iffy here and there but not deal-breaking considering how much effort they put into costume design and other stuff (the dead-body-ditch scene)
>>
>"I believe the Devil is real, but I don't believe he shows up too often with horns and smoke and a forked tail. The devil is smarter than that. Evil is alluring, attractive. It looks almost normal, almost good—but not quite.

>"That's what I tried to do with the Devil in the film. The actor's face is symmetric, beautiful in a certain sense, but not completely. For example, we shaved her eyebrows. Then we shot her almost in slow motion so you don't see her blink—that's not normal. We dubbed in a man's voice in Gethsemane even though the actor is a woman … That's what evil is about, taking something that's good and twisting it a little bit."
>But what about the ugly baby?
>"Again," said Gibson, "it's evil distorting what's good. What is more tender and beautiful than a mother and a child? So the Devil takes that and distorts it just a little bit. Instead of a normal mother and child you have an androgynous figure holding a 40-year-old 'baby' with hair on his back.

www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/marchweb-only/040301passion.html
>>
>>82465374
>We dubbed in a man's voice in Gethsemane even though the actor is a woman … That's what evil is about

Made me laugh thinking about what SJW's would say about this today.
>>
File: 12outof10.jpg (52KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
12outof10.jpg
52KB, 640x427px
>>82465374
>>
I watched this the other night, it's pretty cool, but I dunno, I didn't get the hype.

Also, Mayans didn't cut out hearts, that was the Aztecs, wasn't it?
>>
>>82464455
was quite the kino
also I didn't even make the connection that the little girl's prophesy was supposed to be the Europeans, only realized it was what was probably going to happen when they ran onto the beach
>>
File: 1434511004911.png (163KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
1434511004911.png
163KB, 299x299px
>>82465902
The mayans did it, but when times where good, it was rare. Mostly animal sacrifices here and there. With the shitty weather, crops dying, civil war and snake cult going on, things got pretty crazy during its decline.
>>
>>82464838
Haven't seen this pasta in awhile.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>82464455
Want to watch it but never got round to it. Interested like OP what the craic is. I'm a huge fan of the idea of the film, just waiting on the execution
>>
It wasn't even close to historically accurate; but who the fuck even cares but millenial cucks?
>>
>>82465038
It doesn't show a hispanic until the end tho
>>
File: pizza time.jpg (47KB, 1280x534px) Image search: [Google]
pizza time.jpg
47KB, 1280x534px
>>82465297
Ummm pizza time?
>>
>>82468113
Worth the watch
>>
>>82468113
>what the craic is

I hate that this is a thing, it's only a thing because lel sounds like drygs XD
>>
>>82464455
I was blown away by it. It came in completely under my radar so I only caught it on TV a few years after it was released. I remember wondering why no-one was talking about it. As action movies go, it's up there with Aliens for me.

Tarantino has called it "the best visual storytelling since the silent era" and thinks that there may have been some divine intervention involved, given the giant step up in Mel's game this evinced.

People don't use the word "evinced" anymore. But "famalam", yes.
>>
>>82468549
pikey cunt
>>
I'm probably autistic for noticing this, but did anyone else hear "come on in" when the leader of the tribe told the other tribe that they "may pass?"
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.