[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cinema will never be taken seriously as an independent thought-provoking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: 3_G.jpg (616KB, 2292x2982px) Image search: [Google]
3_G.jpg
616KB, 2292x2982px
Cinema will never be taken seriously as an independent thought-provoking artistic medium until it loses its obsession with narrative. Discuss.
>>
>put lots of pretty visuals together
>makes no fucking sense at all
>"hurr durr it's an artistic medium, you just don't get it"

Why don't you go jerk off all over Matthew Barney?
>>
Movies and television will never be taken serious because they are not art. They are inherently trash entertainment and are not worthy of serious and thoughtful discussion.
>>
>>82330089
How about you discuss first

Putting some stupid assertion with no argument whatsoever and expect anons to think for you
>>
Go watch Tarkovsky's Mirror and you'll understand why narrative is important. Movies aren't about art, they're about entertainment.
>>
>>82330133
The Cremaster Cycle has a narrative though
>>
>>82330089
Even a painting can contain a narrative, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>82330189
What's the narrative in the Mona Lisa?
>>
>>82330089
Is there even a single work of classic literature that isn't largely occupied with narrative?
>>
>>82330189
you know what he meant. movies nowadays are 99% a script accompained with a couple of visuals, but they rely heavily on script and acts and arcs, its all so static and formulaic that if movies were music, they would all be like metal and all its subgenres aka. the same shit everytime but with little changes so you cant sue each other.
>>
>>82330197
It's up to you to interpret that for yourself.
>>
>>82330243
ficciones by borges.
>>
>>82330089
Quite the contrary, we need more solid narratives.
Of course i'm talking about normal European cinema, not the entertainment trash that Hollywood serves
>>
>>82330284
>its all relative lol
say you dont know what the fuck are you talking about, dont be so intellectually dishonest.
>>
>>82330284
lol OK
>>
>>82330089
>Narrative is why cinema isn't taken seriously as a thought provoking artistic medium because a pseudo-intellectual on /tv/ says so.
lol
>>
>>82330371
Plebs love narrative though, no matter how terrible they are
>>
>>82330133
>put lots of pretty visuals together
>makes no fucking sense at all
Define sense. A painting doesn't need a story. A piece of music doesn't need a story. A moving painting with a piece of music playing over it doesn't need a story.
>>
>>82330346
Well it is.
And that is the point because otherwise you are just staring at paint on a canvas.
>>
>>82330262
You're just talking about genre films

OP was obviously referring to all films, including classic art films.
>>
>>82330243
Not exactly classic (because it's recent, Perec's place in the canon is already safe, I hope), but An Attempt at Exhausting a Place in Paris, Queneau's 99 Exercises in Style and I'm sure there's more OULIPO shit if you look for it.
Also, there's this little book by a brazilian author named Raduan Nassar called A Cup of Rage there's pretty much a guy having an autistic breakdown because his gf left him 80 pages of pure rambling.
>>
>>82330243
The first half of Notes from the underground is pretty much Dostoyevskij pretending to be retarded
>>
>>82330089
This used to be relevant until videogames were made.
>>
A film without narrative is merely chaos on a screen. Without narrative, without some semblance of order and meaning to one's life, one is no-better than the primordial ooze one evolved from. Do you want to stare into Nietzsche's proverbial "abyss", OP? Is that what you want? Unfiltered chaos without meaning, desire, need? You go right ahead. Just don't be surprised if chaos picks you up in a whirlwind and tosses you miles away while you're scratching under your arms and picking fleas off yourself while eating a banana.

THAT is why film needs a narrative.
>>
Brakhage and Benning suck

Reggio is great but I'd rather watch a film with a narrative.
>>
>>82330089
She doesn't look like a virgin here, which is very disappointing
>>
>>82331905
Literally nigger tier when it comes to self control. Get some friends you creep.
>>
>>82330197
>Fuck I wish someone finished me.

That's the narrative.
The story of an unfinished piece of shit that was probably nothing more than a practice of form and composition that the artist gave the fuck up on. and is only famous because of the artist himself more so than any merrit the actual painting itself presents.
>>
File: 9456456474573.png (19KB, 426x389px) Image search: [Google]
9456456474573.png
19KB, 426x389px
>>82331369
>>
>>82330089
But film has tackled this issue already, a long, long time ago
>>
>>82330089
If you can't convey all you want to say in a painting or sculpture, you need a book or a movie.
>>
>>82332172
Also because a borderline retarded carpenter managed to steal it from France's most important museum
>>
File: C66133gVsAA3UuZ.jpg (65KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
C66133gVsAA3UuZ.jpg
65KB, 590x350px
>>82330789
>pretending to be retarded

I think you mean 'discrediting the tenets of radical leftist utopian ideologies and arguing for the merits of belief in order to curb the devastating and impending effects of nihilism on Western civilization'
>>
cute!

>>82331905
Shut up, Hershlag is still a virgin
>>
File: hersh.jpg (3MB, 3264x4896px) Image search: [Google]
hersh.jpg
3MB, 3264x4896px
>>82334699
>given birth twice
>virgin
>>
>>82330398
The Mona Lisa is literally only known through stories about it.
>>
>>82335823
That's not a narrative embedded within the artwork, you fuckhead
>>
>>82335823
no
>>
>>82330089
lit is more focused on narrative. film has much more non-narrative.
>>
>>82335771
God she's cute
>>
>something i read in a book written in the 1920s

bravo. your parents money is so well spent at Vassar.
>>
>>82330089
>Cinema will never be taken seriously as an independent thought-provoking artistic medium

it already is and has been for decades.

>until it loses its obsession with narrative
for decades

>Discuss
no
>>
You're all surface level brainlets.

Yes every film needs a narrative to be truly great, but A VISUAL narrative not a written one.
Tarkovsky is the best example, he truly used the visual medium where his written narrative is merely plot lines for the actual "story" to be told through the visuals.

You can't just retell a Tarkovsky film to someone for him to get a sense of it, he literally has to experience it.
>>
File: 1472169103625.jpg (11KB, 210x194px) Image search: [Google]
1472169103625.jpg
11KB, 210x194px
>>82335771
>He hasn't read the bible
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.