[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't General Grevious just leave as soon as he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

File: Grievous_on_Invisible_Hand.png (2MB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
Grievous_on_Invisible_Hand.png
2MB, 1920x816px
Why didn't General Grevious just leave as soon as he captured Palpatine?
>>
Because that wasn't part of the keikaku. Grievous has a boss in Dooku, and Sheev is Dooku's master, so logic dictates Sheev told him "tell that nigger to not leave, no matter what".
>>
>>82298171
>Why didn't General Grevious just leave as soon as he captured Palpatine?
Because it's a video game.
>>
>>82298171
monologuing
>>
>>82298171

General Grevious did nothing wrong.
>>
>>82299812
SixthPostBestPost
>>
Was Obi-wan really a general? I feel like he wasn't. Like maybe a colonel or something, but he was always in the middle of the action. Did they call him a general to make him feel better about what he was doing? Did he request the rank and they just gave it to him?
>>
>>82298171
What game?
>>
>>82300049
Almost every Jedi was a general, since it was the closest they had to an space army/police.
It would be like giving FBI command over militias if a war started.
>>
>>82300196
Yeah but what about all the actual guys who would be generals in the clone army? did they just hand over control to some asshole with a lightsaber? Like how much does he really know about space war stuff?
>>
>>82300271
yea essentially.

It's sort of an echo of the older idea of the Jedi as lifelong spiritual warriors like the Samurai ideal.

It doesn't really make sense in the prequel narrative of the Jedi being peaceful diplomats but obviously considering the real point of the clone wars was to get the Jedi surrounded by as many Stormtroopers as possible before Order 66 it begins to.
>>
File: 1394341129230.jpg (37KB, 562x518px) Image search: [Google]
1394341129230.jpg
37KB, 562x518px
>>82298171
>mfw prequelfags call this a "visual masterpiece"
>>
>>82298171
what video game is this from?
>>
trying to make the clone wars an actual thing and cram it into the movies because of a stupid throwaway line in A New Hope was a total mistake.
>>
>>82298171
That wasn't part of the plan, I guess. They were going to capture Palpatine, and didn't think beyond that.

Maybe the best explanation is that other ships were blocking them, without an explanation, this does seems like a plot hole, so the question is why didn't Plinkett mention it?
>>
>>82298384

So Sheev was baiting some jedi to come "rescue" him by killing dooku so that he could make them his new apprentice? Seems like a lot could go wrong with his plan
>>
>>82298171
Did Lucas not notice all that green screen slipping through?
>>
>>82300665
heh
>>
>>82300271
The Republic Judical Forces were extremely tiny and never integrated into the Grand Army (clone army) proper, mostly being tasked with guarding their own planets or small scale assaults.
The only human officers the Republic needed for the Clone Army were ship Captains and Admirals like Yularen which also seemed optional going by TCW.
>>
>>82298171
Grievous probably thought he could take Coruscant. The fleet the CIS scum used for this assault was desperately sourced together by outright abandoning some worlds. Grievous got the orders to kidnap Sheev by Sidious but he probably didn't want to waste all those forces for just this task. He was also a shitty tactician.
>>
File: ep3.jpg (35KB, 851x352px) Image search: [Google]
ep3.jpg
35KB, 851x352px
>>82300371
it is
>>
>>82300049
>>82300196
They're generals in a medieval Europe sense, Star Wars is a space fairy tale in case you didn't notice
>>
>>82300494
>you fought in the clone wars with my father Anakin?
>yup

It was pretty much the only thing that was necessary to show
>>
>>82302344
I considered that, but we learned literally nothing whatsoever as to what actually determined the result of the battle, but obviously, the Republic won.
>>
>>82298171
>droids operating the ship

Why isn't the entire ship just an AI?
>>
>>82298171
>Why didn't General Grevious just leave as soon as he captured Palpatine?

>Episode III
>REVENGE OF THE SITH

>War! The Republic is crumbling
>under attacks by the ruthless
>Sith Lord, Count Dooku.
>There are heroes on both sides.
>Evil is everywhere.

>In a stunning move, the
>fiendish droid leader, General
>Grievous, has swept into the
>Republic capital and kidnapped
>Chancellor Palpatine, leader of
>the Galactic Senate.

>As the Separatist Droid Army
>attempts to flee the besieged
>capital with their valuable
>hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a
>desperate mission to rescue the
>captive Chancellor....

They were trying to leave. The Clone Army and the Jedi got in their way.
>>
>>82303044
Grievous was the supreme commander of the CIS in the battle, with his flagship going down the rest of their ships retreated automatically I suppose.
>>
>>82303082
B1s are cheap and easier to replace. There were also like half a dozen Neimoidians on that bridge.
>>
>>82303186
>retreated automatically I suppose.
That makes SOME sense, but >>82303124 pointed out the actual reason, which I suspected was the actual reason.
>>
>>82303124
Who are the heros on the separatist side?
>>
>>82303319
Unless there was manipulation of the CIS cruisers/destroyers navigation computers the only reason the ships couldn't escape would be that Republic cruisers block their path (which I doubt with the vastness of space and holes in formations) or they used gravity-Wells which are an EU / Disney Canon thing and were never considered for the movies.

I like that explanation better
>>
>>82303562
Look, there was probably a more detailed explanation in one of the novels, but it would probably be identical in substance to what's in the opening scrawl. The novels might not be canon anymore, but there's literally no reason to suggest that the opening scrawl isn't canon.
>>
>>82303479
I always had a feeling that Count Dooku wasn't entirely bad. I always kind of thought that, when he told Kenobi he was trying to find out who the dark lord (Darth Sidious) really was, he wasn't entirely lying. He actually had figured out the Sith returned and was trying to uncover the identity of Sidious by getting close, but by getting close and doing evil things to prove his loyalty, he was also falling to the dark side and it was tainting him. So when Palpatine says to kill him in the Sidious voice, only then does he figure it out, but it's too late.

However, according to the official stuff, this isn't true. The heroes on the Separatist side are Grievous and some of the Separatist leaders, who actually believed they were fighting for freedom from the rebellion. They were genuine freedom fighters, at least in their own minds, and thus "heroes." Not that you'd get that from the movie alone.
>>
>>82303479
The Republic was decadent and a tool of corporations. Count Dooku promised to end this and spread the rumor (through Obi-Wan) that the Republic was led by a Sith Lord.

General Grievous just wanted to kill the Huk invaders that raided his planet and killed his waifu, but the Republic said his people were the agressors.

The Separatists had their own parliament and would have been content being seen as a legitimate government, with no war necessary.

The joke is that the corporations that corrupted the Republic played both sides by basically funding the true believers of the separatist cause and giving loans to the Republic while pretending to not sell to both sides. This plot was uncovered shortly before ROTS and Sheev was able to nationalize the Banking-Clan and most other corporations because of it.

>>82303661
Canon explanation / logical explanation = debate
>>
>>82303892
>Canon explanation / logical explanation = debate
If you're interested, look up an online copy of the novelization of ROTS. In any case, you might call this explanation illogical, and you might suggest your own, more logical explanation, but you have to allow that what was described in the opening scrawl is what happened.
>>
>>82303562
There's so much going on in that battlefield that I don't think they ever really have a clear path for a ship that big, and even if a path opens, something could fly into that path the next minute, not to mention that while the path might be immediately open on the battlefield, it might not be open elsewhere along the way, or the open path might not take them where they need to go.

>Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
>>
>>82303661
That's one of the things to keep in mind: while a lot of those backstory novels aren't officially canon, the information in them was a part of the movie-making process for the prequels. There definitely are instances where George said "eh, we'll take the explanation for this thing in this movie and put it in this novel because otherwise it'd bog down the movie even more."
>>
>>82304181
K, but the canon explanation is what's the opening scrawl the novels might explain in a way that makes it more plausible, which isn't canon as such, but perhaps an approach which you didn't consider.
>>
>>82300371
But it is.
>>
>>82300371
>mfw sequelfags try to hide their jealousy behind comedy
Stay buttblasted
>>
>>82300049
Name a protagonist who isn't a General in Star Wars.

No, actually don't. But most of the main ones are at some point.
>>
>>82304240
Whatever explanation works for you is fine, man.
>>
>>82300494
The Clone Wars should've been the entire trilogy, rather than the final act of 2 and first act of 3.
>>
>>82304632
I don't really care because an illogical reason why Grievous didn't escape with Sheev is the least of the movie's problems, but that explanation is the canon one.
>>
The correct answer to OP is the first reply. Even Lucas would come right out and say so if asked.

Fuck this entire thread.
>>
>>82304672
If you say so.
>>
>>82304719
What's the basis of this dithering? The opening crawl lays out what their motive is, and it's not taking over Coruscant. This explanation is also more consistent, as it doesn't mean Sheev had to give Grievous orders that weren't inconsistent with a supposed plan of conquering Coruscant.
>>
>>82303082
What if the Death Star had it's own AI, and decided to reproduce?
>>
You mean the system? He was probably blocked
If you mean him personally, it was to try and ensure no one will try and nab his prize.
>>
>>82304851
There were no factories onboard the Death Star and even Ships with factories could only build around themselves or create smaller vessels but not copies of itself.
Though the second DS had a droid brain filled with IG-88 who uploaded himself to it to start a droid revolution but was distracted because he found it too funny to close doors right in front of Sheev when he wanted to go through them.
>>
If you only saw the movies, read no extra books, watched no cartoons, paid attention and aren't fucking stupid, you know that someome asking OP's question is fucking stupid.

Congratulations on this thread, autismos.
>>
>>82305227
Stop it, I was joking. And yes, I read the IG-88 story when it was new, and it was stupid then, too. But now, it's stupid and not canon.
>>
File: Another happy landing.webm (3MB, 848x360px) Image search: [Google]
Another happy landing.webm
3MB, 848x360px
>>
>>82304801
Yeah?
>>
>>82305516
So why would you insist on you theory if it's non consistent with the canon one?
>>
>>82305464
so out of all the places to land in a city planet they crash in a fucking airport lane?
>>
>>82306195
This seems like a good idea to me. What's the problem?
>>
>>82298171
Palpatine probably wanted Dooku, Obiwan, and Grievous to die so he could end the war and go about corrupting Anakin with less interference but things turned out the way they did anyways
>>
>>82298171
There was an ancient sith shrine buried under the ship. It's in the book retard.
>>
File: IMG_0053.jpg (30KB, 493x341px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0053.jpg
30KB, 493x341px
>>82304525

Jar Ja-

Oh, right....
>>
>>82298171

Maybe because an entire fucking fleet of Republic cruisers were blocking his path?

Did you watch the movie?
>>
>>82305400
I will never stop bringing up Legends shit in Star Wars threads, it will never die for me and it will live on in its utterly retarded glory (which is not much less retarded than Disneys Canon with fanfiction.net-tier stories like Doctor Aphra).
>>
>>82298171
sigh. poor writing.
>>
>>82300665
It's not green screen. Lucas spent 5 hours with highlight markers coloring what should be cgi
>>
>>82305464
wasn't a very happy landing for the people in that tower

obi wans an asshole
>>
>>82303124
Why do they say Palpatine was the leader of the Galactic Senate when in reality he WAS the Senate?
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.