[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prometheus was smart. What a lot of people saw as jarring --

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 18

File: tmp_32261-Prometheus-1601948477.jpg (227KB, 1453x966px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_32261-Prometheus-1601948477.jpg
227KB, 1453x966px
Prometheus was smart. What a lot of people saw as jarring -- scientists acting on knowledge that hasn't been blabbered in some lame handhold line "analysis says the air is safe to breathe" as well as their religiosity and so on didn't bother me at all. The idea of the created robot or biological species being more powerful or crafty than the creators and all the different layers in these various relationships had me very intellectually engaged, moreso than any other scifi movie. Of course it didn't tickle or enrage the Alien fan inside of me, because I never even saw it until after Prometheus. And Alien disappointed me for not being intellectual like that. It was almost just any other horror flick with cool art directing that wasn't even as cool as Prometheus.
>>
It was not smart. It was a good script that got rewritten by a hack to make things more "mysterious".
>>
Scott fucking BTFO'D James Cameron's childish interpretation.

Covenant is clearly the seminal return to form of horror-scifi.

Reddit-posters please don't come here with contrarian bullshit.
>>
>>82268903
Meh. 6/10. Became pretty obvious when you started mentioning alien. Try to sound a little dumber, perhaps lower your grammar etc.
That'll make you seem more like a real Prometheus fanboy.
>>
File: 1466259968140.jpg (634KB, 1584x1660px) Image search: [Google]
1466259968140.jpg
634KB, 1584x1660px
One of the most underrated movies of all time, a sci-fi masterpiece in every single way and not given enough credit due its expectations as an Alien film and its somewhat fuzzy story that needs more movies to be explained. It's that rare occasion where Lindelof got held on a leash by Ridley and his co-writer and this movie just outright thrives on it. It still looks beautiful from a technical standpoint half a decade later, with so many small details and a come to life alien world that gives it this strange charm, strengthened by the beautiful homage to Giger.

It has some pacing problems (which are somewhat amplified by the Workprint Edition) and needless sub-plots that lessen the strength of the thematic message, muddying it more than it should have been, and time could have been spend to better flesh out the stronger parts of this movie. The individual character motives are almost absent, but this is beautifully rounded out with strong Christian symbolism and playing on our most banal human instincts.

It saddens me to know that this movie will never see a proper followup due to the complaints of this not being Alien enough, when I would argue that this is a fantastic movie because it doesn't try to follow that same formula.
>>
>>82269141
Kys
>>
>>82269298
Right after you when you watch Alien Covenant and realize that the Alien influence is what's going to make this movie worse.
>>
>>82269088
Not bait. Prometheus is the first example of a breakthrough in the "thinking man's sci-fi" genre since eXistenZ in 1999. It shouldn't be a surprise that a few years of retrospect have shed some light on this film for fellow intelligent cine buffs.
>>
>>82269394
What this guy says, Prometheus was the first step into moving sci-fi into a more mature direction and fully using this genre's capabilities using the best director to do it. All the Alien fanboys who just want to see a stuck-in-a-spaceship flick with aliens just didn't understand this movie's Christian symbolism and mature themes that were stacked into these characters that required little depth besides that if you understand the underlying themes.

The biggest crime is not the movie, it's the fanboy idiots who hacked it down and ended what could've been the best sci-fi trilogy so far.
>>
>>82268991
>Reddit-posters please don't come here with contrary opinions
How do we know they're a reddit-poster?
>Because they had a contrary opinion.
Quite succinct.
>>
>>82268971
This thread does not need more posts than this.
>>
>>82268903
>defending the shitheap that was Prometheus
Kill yourself any time.
>>
>>82268903
>I never even saw [Alien] until after Prometheus

You're probably like 19 or 20. That's why you don't think Prometheus is abject trash. Give it a few years and rewatch it without nostalgia goggles, it's really stupid and a waste of great cinematography.
>>
File: 20170420153930_1.jpg (63KB, 250x473px) Image search: [Google]
20170420153930_1.jpg
63KB, 250x473px
What the fuck was his problem?
>>
>>82268903
Agreed OP, Scott is usually intellectually tame, but Prometheus was better than his usual films.
>>
>>82269141
What's the difference between Workprint and theatrical, I only saw theatrical I think.
>>
File: 1474434922589.jpg (51KB, 465x512px) Image search: [Google]
1474434922589.jpg
51KB, 465x512px
>people constantly get mad and bitch that the crew take off their helmets
>nothing ever even happened as a result of them doing this
>>
>>82268903
shut up kid
>>
engineers should've been a complete new species and not space jockeys
>>
>>82270302
Workprint adds a lot of shit that was originally cut, it's a fan-edit but it's a good one.

Agent 9 edit cuts out all the goofy stuff, might be a good watch too.
>>
I think the Engineers were the greatest character design ever. I cannot take my eyes off them, they appear so godlike even though they are bald and maybe a bit goofy looking.

The movie is KINO AS FUCK
>>
>>82268903
Alien 5: Retards in Space

What a fucking waste of time. And Scott only ever made 3 good movies (Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma and Louise) so those were probably good by accident.
>>
>>82268903
>scientists acting on knowledge that hasn't been blabbered in some lame handhold line "analysis says the air is safe to breathe"

That's not the issue, dumbass. It's the contamination of a pristine site by Terran microbes. It's the same reason we decontaminate extraterrestrial probes and Mars rovers. Scientists don't wantonly contaminate sites.

They also observe quarantine protocols on retards that expose themselves to alien environments. There's no way in hell anyone who did should ever make it past as airlock. It's just so incredibly dumb. In fact, it's every bit as dumb as forgetting to run perpendicular to the direction the relatively thin rolling ship is traveling in.
>>
>>82271412
The expedition isn't funded or regulated by the government. They make their own rules.
>>
File: 1462481651712.jpg (23KB, 492x341px) Image search: [Google]
1462481651712.jpg
23KB, 492x341px
>>82270331

>implying that logan marshall-green would have gotten poisoned with the drink if he had his helmet on at that time
>>
>>82268903
those are some comfy looking robes
>>
>>82271030
I recommend watching Gladiator, you can put it with his other great movies
>>
>>82271534
>they make their own rules

Yeah. As scientific experts. If you're going to make a case, go with "Weyland purposefully hired incompetent douchebags because he wanted them to infect themselves."

Trust me - it's the best you have.
>>
>>82270721
I'll have to look for it then, was there no official release like a directors cut?
>>
>>82271534
jesus fucking christ, /tv/.
>>
>>82271769
It's better than Prometheus but I'd hardly call it 'great'.
>>
>>82271884
these cucks cant help themselves
>>
>>82271822
No, the girl and discount Tom Hardy only cared about finding those Engineers. They didn't care about other science. The biologist should have reprimanded them.
>>
>>82271822

scientists are often very good at the specific niche that they work in. extreme specialization is a side effect of working at the frontiers of very advanced scientific fields. it's not that weird that outside of those fields of expertise, they are not brave, organized or particularly competent people. it's not that weird that they make stupid decisions given that they're in a totally non-hierarchical social environment on an alien planet
>>
>>82271970
one wonders why they are shitting out such movies or why incompetent writers survive (nepotism aside).
Is because people are shaped into being brainless consumers.
No wait, is worse. being a "fan" is so important that now people we perform mental gymnastic to defend a shitshow. What a perfect bunch are we..
>>
File: 1486682753770.gif (765KB, 295x235px) Image search: [Google]
1486682753770.gif
765KB, 295x235px
>>82269141
>One of the most underrated movies of all time

see
>>82269298
>>
>>82272019
You don't see people fail in other disciplines, but i theirs. Shut up. Just shut the fuck up.
>>
Can someone explain to me the dislike of Prometheus? I've only heard that some people didn't like it but not exactly what they had problems with.
>>
>>82271822
>Implying scientist are competent in life.

Most people make stupid choices.
>>
>>82272090

>shut up kid

>Kill yourself any time.

>jesus fucking christ, /tv/.

>these cucks cant help themselves

> Shut up. Just shut the fuck up.

seems like some pretty solid reasoning, right?
>>
>>82272145
They weren't even competent in their work.
>>
>>82272090
By the way I just came to /tv/ after finishing Alien and I'm about to start Aliens so this thread had fantastic timing.
>>
>>82272090
It's mostly nerd complaints about minor details, which would be excusable if they could also criticize the larger themes they had a problem with. It's like criticism has been relegated to cinemasins tracking all the superficial flaws in movies, without noticing larger thematic issues.
>>
>>82272035
I was disappointed when I saw it the first time. And a lot of things still suck. But I really like the exploration attitude. Finding the star maps, and looking for the Engineers.
>>
>>82272204
Prometheus is a prime example of an "idiot plot". The characters aren't dumb teenagers in a horror movie, they're supposed to be trained professionals. They're constantly making bad decisions because the writer was too stupid to figure out any other way to add conflict.
>>
How come the black too turns you into a jerk?
>>
>>82272178
No, they weren't. But they found the star maps, and apparently had Weyland's ear. So Weyland send them off.

Most people are only somewhat competent, but have a lot of luck. So they get to do important things. In which they make a lot of errors, like contaminate that planet with Earth microbes. So I find the movie not unrealistic.
>>
>>82272516
*goo
>>
>>82272090
this is pretty articulate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0
>>
>>82272516

midichlorians
>>
>>82272309
The visual, part of the atmosphere, and the concept are gorgeous. But the whole, general stupidity just makes you jump out of the movie. I cannot be immersed or care I just hate them all.
>>
>>82272320
I agree that takes away from the story, but those aren't big issues I can't overlook desu.
>>
>>82272320
You overestimate the competente of highly trained professionals
>>
>>82268903

It was not smart. It took a solid story with a good mysterious background and replaced it with unrealistic Star Trekeque fantasy bullshit
>>
>>82272591
>I cannot be immersed or care I just hate them all.

Why, Shaw's not stupid and neither was David or the guy who got GRIDS from David.
>>
>>82272204

These 'larger themes' are nothing more than pseudo-intellectual idiocy.
>>
>>82272591
Some times they are Indeed too stupid. Even for me. I also hated the appearing storm part.
>>
>>82272690
Okey doke
>>
>>82269141
>>82268903
>>82268991
Aliens is actually the smarter movie but your lack of understanding story structure and reliance on ideologies rather than story gives you nostalgia critic levels of film understanding.
>>
>>82272204
This movie had no larger themes, what themes are you even talking about?
>>
>>82272574
Pretty funny desu. So the dislike is primarily about plotholes and the lack of explanations? That would make sense since the film is well made in other aspects.
>>
>>82272943
It's also lack of character arcs, theme, motives, etc. you know anything that would make a story worth viewing
>>
>>82272921
>no themes
>literally entitled Prometheus
>Prometheus as in the Titan that gave man fire and was banished by the Gods
>clear symbolism of faith with Shaw's character believing something greater was behind our creation
>"A King has his reign and then he dies"
>Weyland seeking immortality despite it being unnatural and upsetting the established order
>clear order of Creator or "Gods" and their relationship to each other
>Engineers -> Man -> David
>clearly shows the interactions and questions being asked by participants of said relationship
>no themes
>>
>>82268903

It's cool stuff, it's just that not a lot of that was in the movie, and a human successfully running away from a 'God' does very little to discuss the relationship between man and God.
>>
>>82273047
>you know anything that would make a story worth viewing
There's more to films than the story and it feels like you're just throwing words out there.
>Motives
The reason for the expedition is explained, no? If you mean motifs then you're being redundant.
>Theme
>>82273217
>>
>>82272635
You overestimate the "competente" of untalented writers.
>>
>Prometheus was smart

>Hurr durr we're on an unknown planet let's take our masks off!

>Hurr durr we're in space let's smoke weed!

>Hurr durr let's mess around with this strange alien life form. Make sure you get your face really close to it!

>Engineer wakes up after millions of years in hibernation. Doesn't even do a status check and immediately sets out to destroy earth. Doesn't even know if earth still exists.

Insultingly stupid film.
>>
>>82273546
>millions of years
It was only 2000, did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>82273704
Doesn't matter how long the point still stands and the movie was still insultingly stupid
>>
>>82273735
>>82273546

there's fucking people in front of his face, it's a pretty safe bet that earth exists dumkopf
>>
>>82273704
>It was only 2000

How the fuck can you even carbon date something on a planet that has never been studied before? This film was like it was put together by lazy Sy Fy channel writers.

If you want to defend Prometheus being 'intelligent' then you are well and truely fighting a losing battle.
>>
>>82271908
Shadows and dust.
>>
>>82273217

It just boils down to successors betraying divine expectations. It's a cool enough movie but you have to bring most of the philosophizing yourself. It's not at all more thoughtful than any other story where God tries to punish humans for arrogance. This movie doesn't do anything extra to blow my mind that a creator might be disappointed with their creation.
>>
>>82268903
Why did they both continue to run in a straight line?
>>
defending Prometheus is a mental illness
>>
>>82273842
>How the fuck can you even carbon date something on a planet that has never been studied before?
It would be made of the same elements, the same atoms. I like how you decide it's stupid before you even get an answer.
>>
>>82273842
>Why isn't this movie like my autistic science fantasies spelling everything out because I literally cannot abide a mystery

>>82273890
But was the punishment truly for arrogance? That was never spelled out, they set out to destroy earth 2000 years ago, circa the time of Jesus. Was it because of man as God (Christ) becoming the new God.
>>
>>82273919

carbon dating is based on the decay of radioactive carbon atoms that are kept at a certain level in a living creature. when it dies these start to decay because the level is no longer kept steady. you need to know what the level is in a living creature to draw conclusions about how long it took to get to the current level
>>
>>82273217
Those are all called allusions, but allusions are not themes.
>>
>>82273793
Still doesn't matter. His actions are still incredibly stupid. No status check. No checking in with home base. Just "rawr! Must destroy earth!"

And adresss the other stuff I mentioned. There's no excuse for any of it other than bad writing.

There are two good Alien films out of 5.

>>
File: 1463912592347.jpg (174KB, 1533x961px) Image search: [Google]
1463912592347.jpg
174KB, 1533x961px
So what was the point of the 'father' twist?
>>
>>82273987

>But was the punishment truly for arrogance?

michael fassrobot is going to carpet bomb the engineers with their own creations. that's the punishment for arrogance, an incredibly ironic death
>>
>>82273987

Arrogance in trying to become Gods themselves, yes. As a God, Prometheus thought he was above His creation. He was not. Divine tantrum ensues.
>>
>>82274001
Thanks for the explanation. I don't have a problem with thinking
>Hey they're in the future, they might have better tools at their disposal to determine that
though
>>
>>82273217
>gave man fire
he created humans with the fire you dumb motherfucker
>>
>>82273987

So Prometheus is intelligent because it uses blatent unrealism for plot convienience and literally spelled out the biggest mystery in the Alien series?
>>
>>82273379
No everything that happens in a movie is in service to the story. I think you are confusing plot with story. Plot is just what happens in the story as a series of events, the story is more than just the plot, it's everything that happens, and why, the voice of the storyteller, any motifs and allusions the storyteller may want to throw in to help the viewer better understand or show in a different perspective to describe their theme or reason why they are telling the story. The story is the movie.
>>
File: thumbsupm8.jpg (74KB, 478x600px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsupm8.jpg
74KB, 478x600px
>>82274025
ur a cool guy
i like you
>>
>>82274118

well, they do insist upon carbon dating. even if we allow for the fact that they can stick a needle and perform that analysis within a matter of seconds, the technique does have the earlier mentioned inherent drawback when studying an unknown organic compound.
>>
>>82274025

2 and a half.
>>
>>82274205
When I said
>There's more to films than the story
I meant like cinematography, music, design etc. Of course the story is at the core of it but it's not like the film is bad on all levels.
>>
>>82274162
No he didn't fucktard he created humans out of clay and then he stole fire from the sun to give to man.
>>
>>82268991
>seminal return to form of horror-scifi.

Oh boy, jump scares and the monster killing flat characters until the main character inevitably escapes or dies. Thrilling stuff.
>>
>>82274524
kek get your facts straight you bellend
>>
>>82268903
Could've been incredible, but Lindelof ruined it.
>>
>>82272090
literally the running in a straight line when the ship is falling on you and the black goo not being 100% explained with tons of exposition

brainlets, man
>>
>>82274434
No all that is in service to the story as well.

A book has words and pages, but all of them are used to tell a story and in its no different than a movie uses, music, actors, lighting, cinematography, a script, etc, to tell its story.
>>
>>82274843
>literally the running in a straight line when the ship is falling on you
I agree that this is stupid
>black goo not being 100% explained with tons of exposition
I don't think it's necessarily better to explain. It might have been but I don't think there's a clear cut answer to what's better.

>>82274863
Well yes it's in service to the story but I'd still seperate them. The prose in a novel services the story it's trying to tell but it isn't actually part of the story. I may still be confusing plot with story and in that case I withdraw my argument since it was misdirected.
>>
Watching Aliens right now. I really don't see why some people think this one is better than Alien. All the """""marines""""" act so stereotypical. I still like the film but so many scenes that make me cringe.
>>
>>82275462
The thing about aliens is it makes the xeno's less scary by showing how just a few sentry guns can kill them by the hundreds. It's a great movie and i love it but it took something away from the original.
>>
>>82275585

What original?
>>
>>82275462
There's nothing wrong with cliches if you do them right. Cliches are cliches because they work.
>>
>>82275869
Sure, it just really feels like they are a bunch of actors who were instructed to look and act like what they think military guys are like. Or rather, it strikes me that they're green recruits who have never been in combat and just puff themselves up instead of being veterans with actual experience.

Some people love that attitude but for me there's a disconnect and I'm actually uncomfortable watching it. Especially Vasquez.
>>
>grrr you clearly became too smart
>you were never suppose to get this smart
>you can make things like how we made you
>you're a threat to our race
>I have to kill you before you destroy us

It's like how a human would respond meeting another creature as smart as we are or more, we'd be scared and assume the worst because we assume the worst from ourselves and would probably be aggressive if we were in their position.

Basically two smart species run into each other, war is inevitable. That was the point of this movie, it's a criticism of hopeful and sappy peaceful bullshit hippies think will happen with first contact. The cast was all progressive and hopeful, like this was all a puzzle set up for them to solve, then they learn that they were just lab rats that were never suppose to get this far and their "gods" are threatened by them and want them dead.
>>
>>82268903

The thing that annoyed me the most about the film was the completely retarded Prometheus crew.
It is like someone in Weyland-Yutani wanted the mission to catastrophically fail.
>>
>>82276018
I think you are giving more importance to an aspect of the movie than it deserves to try and discredit the movie. Most of the marines die as soon as they get there and the whole point is for them to show you how much wayland underestimates the situation and ripleys fear of going back there and they do their job of just that. Whether they act like any group of military people you hang out with is irrelevant.
>>
>>82272801
t. iamverysmart
>>
>>82276171
My hypothesis is that the Engineer was pissed because David is not a living being. Look at their technology, it is all "alive", biomechanical in nature. Those fucking ships are probably grown instead of built.

At first he looks curious about the "visitors", and then he realises they are a failure (for Engineer standards)

Also, there was that deleted scene where Mr.Weyland talks all smugly and megalomaniac. But I am not sure if that is "canon".
>>
>>82276171
Which ultimately sets up for a bad movie, I don't want to see a movie about lab rats who's actions and motives are inconsequential to the director's preachy message.
>>
>>82276352
>I think you are giving more importance to an aspect of the movie than it deserves to try and discredit the movie
Not really, I still like the movie but it's just an obstacle for my enjoyment of it. You make a good point though, they serve their purpose and there is a reason for them to act that way. I'd make the comparison to Gimli and Legolas in LotR. I love the trilogy but I'm still very much annoyed at some of the parts with Gimli and Legolas that make me cringe. This contributes to my favourite film being Fellowship, just like how Vasquez contributes to me preferring Alien.

I admit I put too much importance on it but it isn't a choice for me.
>>
>>82273217
They are treated in a forced and awkward way. The story and the themes clash on each other up to sucking. In an actual good movie, themes and story enhance each other.
>>
>>82276499
It's funny how everyone has a different interpretation for that scene. Scott is such a good director that the audience has to write that scene in for him...
>>
>>82276547
I think I understand what you are saying, I have a similar problem with the actor of the xenomorph in the first alien movie where in two scenes the way it acts just reminds me that it's a guy in a costume and I'm thrown out of the movie at those points
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-05-02-00h26m00s075.png (2MB, 1920x1058px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-05-02-00h26m00s075.png
2MB, 1920x1058px
Anon who is watching Aliens here, I NEVER NOTICED HOW FUCKING HAIRY HIS ARM IS
>>
>>82274843
>>82275052
the running in a straight line is one of the most realistic parts of the movie

when you've got shit falling on you, exploding around you, debris crashing everywhere, you're not gonna think rationally. the adrenaline response takes over and you book it. that's just life.

also, it should be noted that the character who died via ship crushing was Vickers, whose whole character is that she's so stubborn that she never rethinks her course of action in the entire movie. Shaw, whose primary character trait is that she's adaptable, realizes that running in a straight line is dumb when she trips and falls, and moves out of the way.

It's literally a non-criticism from people who either were not paying attention, did not understand the movie, or are unable to articulate the actual flaws of Prometheus
>>
>Engineer wakes up
>First thing he sees is an old man asking to become better than the engineer
>Robot made by the old man exactly resembles a human
>Shaw gets hit in the stomach trying to ask the engineer questions
>Everyone is holding rifles
>Your mission was to blow up earth and 2000 years later they wake you up on a dangerous planet holding the substance that can wipe out your entire race in seconds

Do you people really wonder why the engineer immediately went hostile?
>>
>>82276977
Well if it was a good movie than people would have probably paid more attention.
>>
>>82276984
>that can wipe out your entire race in seconds
That will wipe out...

Xenomorphs are a joke compared to human monstrosity
>>
>>82270331
>enter hermetically sealed room
>breathe all over everything
>the fucking painting decays in seconds and everything goes to pot
>>
>>82276499

It would be great if the engineers resulted to have an anti-AI paranoia because of some ancient organic-machine conflict.
Lets hope the writers are so creative.
>>
>>82270331
they also conveniently forget that the protagonist of the movie begs her douchebag boyfriend not to do it
>>
>>82276547
>not liking vasquez
https://youtu.be/YQXKJdjFPF4?t=2m35s
>>
Every Alien movie is the same movie.
>>
>>82270642
THIS.
The Jockeys in Earth Hive were fucking rad elephant ayylamos that flew around shooting Xenos.
Now they're boring Wojaks.
>>
>>82276984
Fug, the Engineer was the true hero. And he got the second to worst end.
>>
Alien: Labyrinth movie WHEN
>>
>>82280505
Never. Sucks, it had a really cool premise.
>>
>>82268903
People defending this movie is as bad as people defending Batman vs Superman. Only good thing was David, everything else was steaming horse shit.
>>
>>82273735
>"LOL DOESN'T MATTER THAT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I'M TLAKING ABOUT AND JUST SPEW LIEK WHATEVER INTO THE INTERNET BECAUSE LOLOLOL :::fARRRRRRRRRT BRRAAAAPPPPPP::: LOLOLOL"

You are everything that is wrong with the world, keep your fucking fat yap shut if you don't know anything.
>>
File: 1490658635089.jpg (41KB, 711x669px) Image search: [Google]
1490658635089.jpg
41KB, 711x669px
>>82268903
>>
>>82268903
>>82268971

Prometheus is not smart. Is the same ideas that was cut of the original alien because it troubles the narrative and was distracting over the central story.

Indeed there are a lot of stuff that are pretty much the same than the original alien script: The vessels, the head bring to the ship, lots of engeniers/space jockeys, the alien shrine, the whole pyramid/dome thing, the whole idea of the infection/goo, etc.

Scott cut all then because it was bad, it bring it back now just because the myth of the original script grow with the years.
>>
File: 1466152129544.jpg (71KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1466152129544.jpg
71KB, 900x900px
Is it possible to tame a Xeno and have it as a cute pet/family member like a dog?
>>
File: alien_by_genzoman-db69fhp.jpg (676KB, 770x1100px) Image search: [Google]
alien_by_genzoman-db69fhp.jpg
676KB, 770x1100px
>>82275462
>Watching Aliens right now. I really don't see why some people think this one is better than Alien. All the """""marines""""" act so stereotypical. I still like the film but so many scenes that make me cringe.

It´s stereotypical now, but it wasnt stereotypical back then.

Aliens was the first movie in depict "space marine" and it was a really innovative about militar gadgets in the 80´s: camera in each soldier, tank following their body functions, machine guns imaginery, etc.
>>
>>82282066
There is a whole comic about that and no.
>>
Prometheus was a great movie. Never have I been more engaged with a film's writing, and I have watched many films such as The Game and Blue Ruin. The fact of the matter is this movie is the film equivalent of the Game of Thrones novel series: once you read it, you will never be able to read anything as enjoyable again.
>>
>>82282066
engineers do it
>>
>>82282366
>>
File: predator-vs-alien-wallpaper-16.jpg (305KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
predator-vs-alien-wallpaper-16.jpg
305KB, 1920x1080px
>>82282366
yeah right, as if they could even survive their own black goo.
Predators on the other hand got shit under control though.
>>
>>82268903

But why couldn't the geologist find his way out even though he had probes making a map and beaming it back to his wrist thing?
>>
>>82273546
Yep. This movie was pure shit.
>>
Here's my theory:
the whole idea of the alien movie is that the alien is suppose to be the perfect killing machine, but the theme of alien is that a human fucking won in the end, the human was the perfect killing machine.

Now we learn that humans were created by engineers just like how xenos were created, and that humans have been far more destructive and uncontained than some predatory alien monster. We're intelligent like engineers, we can create like they can, and we're far more dangerous to them than the xenomorphs, who apart from some freak instances like in the movies, are relatively contained. They seem to only be a problem when some human decides to dig them up, and then the humans promptly win with a little chest burst cliffhanger, but ultimately that's just another outbreak that will be contained. There are billions of humans spreading across the stars in space ships, you can destroy earth at this point and you wont kill them off, humans are a true intellectual rival to engineers, a far more dangerous creation than xenomorphs. They're the ultimate killing machine and the xenomorph is red herring
>>
What if the engineers had an ancient war against sentient machines ala terminator and that made them paranoid about robots and AI and thats why they build everything in a biological kind of way, including weapons of mass destruction (xenos)?
What if thats the reason the awakened engie tore David apart in rage and then tried to kill humanity?
>>
>>82282932
>make a biological warfare agent so wholly virulent and devastating that even you are susceptible
>yautjafags actually call this a failing
Friendly reminder that the black goo would devastate the tribals every bit as much as Engineers or Humanity.
>>
>>82268903
>Of course it didn't tickle or enrage the Alien fan inside of me, because I never even saw it until after Prometheus.
I thought this was a genuine opinion until this line. Decent bait.
>>
>>82269701

His creator was a disappointment.
>>
>>82274025
3 out of 6 you mean.
>>
>>82274843
Not only that but also
>professional scientists acting like high-school kids
>biologist wants to pet a dangerous alien creature
>Chad takes his helm off in alien environment because fuck it, starts drinking for no reason

And that's ignoring the fact that some hack (read: Lindelof) actually thought that ancient aliens was a good theme to begin with.
>>
>>82268903
It WAS smart. Just not smart enough.
I love the film, but how do the progenitors have the exact same DNA as humans if one of them seeds Earth with its own DNA... which results in a long evolutionary line that ends up with a creature that has the exact same DNA? Huh?
Let's assume they look so different because they evolved on a planet with different characteristics (lower gravity, less light, etc).
>>
>>82285959

Especially when it's exactly as significant to have the scientists say 'they use the same exact proteins as terrestrial life! that is amazing!' and it could be not as cringe inducing to regular people and the shit munchers would understand it just as little as 'their DNA is identical to ours'
>>
>>82283021
Because plot.
Yeah, it ain't perfect.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5t1yI35r-U
What the FUCK happened to Shaw?
>>
>>82286045

>implying you could keep your hands on her boahnay boahday
>>
>>82272320
Fucking this,

>I'll release a drone that can map the interior of this ship in its entirety, then forget that I have access to that map and get "lost."

>I'll run like a scared little kid from obvious statuary and holographic displays, but pet a space-cobra.

>Our android "helper" will follow an agenda that appears to be "fuck with the protagonists when there's nothing else happening."

>I'll run from the rolling doughnut ship along its travel path despite being on reasonably open terrain with no obstructions to block my escape.

That last one almost works as a metaphor for everything else happening in the film - "I'll do something visibly retarded for no reason besides the writers having come up with no better way to kill me."
>>
>>82268903
>Prometheus was smart.
>>82269141
>somewhat fuzzy story
>>82269394
>breakthrough in the "thinking man's sci-fi"
>>82274434
>it's not like the film is bad on all levels.
It might be actually. It took elements from Alien and ruined them. Depressing blue / grey recoloring like a lot of other movies. Stupid characters. I don't remember the music..etc. Prometheus is an alien movie. Prometheus ruined the alien franchise worse than AVP.

You can't say that Prometheus is genius when basic story and direction elements aren't working. Noomi Rapace is in it, and it looked slick at the time, but its bad.
>>
Remember the retarded fake leaks about someone stealing the engineers' "fire" of life or some shit and xenos being released to get it back? God damn the stupid motherfucker that wrote that might be the dumbest cuck that ever lived
>>
>>82269141
No but seriously kill yourself.
>>
>>82268903
You talk weird.
>>
>>82285959
>>82286005
That's what happens when you have an idiot write the script.
>>
>>82269521
But that's wrong. You're looking at the core elements that were in place before Lindelof fucked it up. I admit that there's good ideas underlying this flick, but it's fucked up by underdeveloped characters (only David and Shaw were particularly memorable beyond a one-dimensional archetype) and an undercooked storyline. I can see how in the original draft, the black goo would be more developed (the monster that got flamethrower'd looked more Alien in the original cut, which would help link things,) the Engineer being given some more development beyond "is this our creators and does he want to kill us?" and the scenes showing that the maps didn't work or something would tighten it up. I can see a good first draft that just needed some work to flesh it out being there, but instead we got a second draft that fucked it up more. Yes, the first draft is good, but what we got was ruined potential, regardless of the Alien connection.
>>
>>82272801
Weak bait.
>>
>>82287679
I think my single biggest single gripe is how ancient they make the Progenitor species. If they seeded Earth with life, then they've been operating at the same level of technology for literally billions of years or they've invented time travel. If it's the latter, awesome, but if it's the former, we've got some issues.
>>
>>82288002
Predators have triceratops skulls.
>>
>>82269701

>Get your head ripped off for no reason
>Genocide the faggots entire planet

Talk shit get hit.
>>
>>82272801
aliens is one big cliche
nice b8 though
>>
>>82289323
>Predators have triceratops skulls.

And hermits have no peer pressure.
>>
Anyone got a link to The Crossing prologue?
>>
>>82269141
>maybe i'll seem smart if i post a picture of an artwork
lol
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.