[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How cultured are you anon? How many foreign films have you watched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

How cultured are you anon? How many foreign films have you watched in the last few months?
>>
>>82215418
I watch tons since my mom is Filipina and my gf is Chinese
>>
I haven't seen any for a few years now, but I have watched at least a couple hundred in my lifetime because I used to watch a channel that would show movies from around the world.
>>
>>82215496
Throw out some names anon so I can judge you.

>>82215520
Honestly there have been some really good foreign films in the last few years, you're missing out man.
>>
File: monday.jpg (29KB, 273x400px) Image search: [Google]
monday.jpg
29KB, 273x400px
>>82215418
Alot because i dont let subtitles get in the way of enjoying a good movie like OP´s
>>
>>82215548
Himala (Miracle), Kinatay, Monga, Red Cliff, etc.
>>
File: under-the-shadow-movie.jpg (62KB, 900x585px) Image search: [Google]
under-the-shadow-movie.jpg
62KB, 900x585px
>>82215594
I remember looking up some Youtube videos of this after watching it and there were all these shits complaining about why wasn't it in English. One cunt even saying no one wants to read while watching a movie. I realize idiots are gonna be idiots but shit still fucked me off for a while.
>>
I haven't watched a non-foreign film since like 2012.
>>
>>82215418

I've been watching chinese market jackie chan movies recently, they're still goofy fun

kung fu yoga was the last one, not bad and even had the typical evil white henchmen despite the bad guys being indian
>>
I watch around 2 movies a week and all of them are foreign.
>>
>>82215418
>95% on RT
Wow, it must be a fucking masterpiece.
>>
I'm from country with shitty film industry so all movies I watch are foreign.
>>
>>82215813
Ehhhh, take that with a grain of salt. Consider the type of person and tastes a professional reviewer has, you aren't likely to have the same taste as them.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to most people. It's very artsy, can be interpreted as pretentious, is extremely slow and dragging, there are frequent shots of long, drawn out silences that can go either way.

I really enjoyed it, it was super comfy for me, like Only Lovers Left Alive, the main girl is weirdly ugly cute and I kinda liked her a lot in the movie.

Some people also think its feminist propaganda so if you're /pol/ you really won't enjoy it. I didn't read it as feminist though.
>>
>>82215418
There's a ton of korea movies that are amazing. A few Indonesian movies too (the raid)
>>
>>82215851
Do places like eastern europe only have movies with subs? Like are all the marvel movies dubbed or subbed there? Shit must get annoying. I'm not put off by subtitles but I don't want literally 100% of all the movies I watch to have them.
>>
>>82215594
Loved that movie.
>>
>>82215937
I was being sarcastic. I've seen it and it's garbage, specifically when I binge watched the highest rated horror movies on RT, a course of action which I gradually found out to have been an immense mistake. I think it was after watching this movie did I realize how almost unreliable RT can be for indicating the quality of films.
>>
>>82215998
Not him. But when you grow up with subs you don't even notice it after a while. It's like it's not even there.

That said seeing as how often I accidentally download a movie where some Russian dude has dubbed the thing with his monotone voice I think they prefer dubs.
>>
>>82215998
In Hungary EVERYTHING is dubbed

We even have a better voice acting industry than a film industry nowadays
>>
>>82215937
lol both this and only lovers left alive are trash. Kys I bet you enjoy lost in translation and try to say it's 'subtle' lmao
>>
File: mpv-shot00030.jpg (138KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot00030.jpg
138KB, 1280x688px
>>82215418
I almost only watch foreign films! Just two days ago I watched missing in action and the day before that I caught patriots day at my local kinoplex
>>
>>82216045
>I was being sarcastic
I'm sorry, I should have been able to tell by your tone.

Yeah its because that 95% rating doesn't mean its a 9.5/10 movie, just that 95% of reviewers thought the movie was better than 5/10, and people generally give foreign movies more leniency in their scores because muh culture. Audience reviews are a better metric.

To be honest, I really wish someone set up a site where regular people can rate movies and there was some algorithm that places you alongside people with similar tastes so you can find shit you might like really easily.
>>
>>82216093
>We even have a better voice acting industry than a film industry nowadays
kek this is pretty funny

>>82216095
>lost in translation
I haven't actually seen that movie yet, I don't like either main characters actors.
>>
>>82216136
I tried using Metacrtic, and while I was still disappointed, my results where much better.
>>
>>82216040
me too,that drunk dance scene was glorious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O37LKISp_po
>>
>>82215418
I only watch foreign films because I'm not American. Sometimes you Americans think the world revolves around you.
>>
>>82216390
To be fair. The fact that you don't watch any films from your country kinda show how much the world does revolve around America.

I mean, I'm willing to bet the majority of movies you watch are made in America.
>>
>>82216183
Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes have a pretty similar rating most of the time, it's the average rating that counts.
>>
>>82216390
OP here and I'm not American, I'm a Kiwi and I said foreign because this is an English language board, everything not English is foreign, it only makes sense.
>>
>>82216435
The movie industry from my country doesn't produce that many good movies. Most series or movies I enjoy are British or Scandinavian and sometimes French or German. US has some pretty good stuff too, but the vast majority of the movies are loud and cliché. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yesterday for instance. It was fun but hardly an art piece.
>>
>>82216390
Seriously, go fuck yourself. Anybody without autism would have either assumed it was from an American perspective, or answered the question literally in saying they watched American films while being an American. Shitposting anons who want to shit on America, (for no reason I can see except insecurity), frequently attack other posts as being indicative of the flaws that Americans supposedly have, even if those posts contains nothing that indicates that they were by Americans.

Furthermore, the point of your post assumes, (correctly), that the American film industry is so dominant that almost no foreigner can help but watch American, and thus foreign films, so it's rather complimentary of Americans in that respect.
>>
I'm very cultured and worldly, I watch lots of foreign movies.
>>
>>82216571
>Anybody without autism would have either assumed it was from an American perspective
Or, y'know, an English speakers perspective, since this board is all English.

Logic bro, shits crazy.
>>
>>82216569
I'm Swedish so I know what's that like. We only make shitty copy paste crime dramas and Oscar bait that fail to get recognized by anyone, so I pretty much only watch American movies with the occasional Asian one thrown in there for good measure.
>>
>>82216633
I was going to Non-American in English are still foreign films for Americans, as it's not like if I visited other English speaking countries, I, as an American, would still be visiting foreign countries; I say I would say this, but I'm seeing definition online that state a film is foreign if it isn't in English, which I think is questionable, but a definition some might use, which you obviously did.
>>
>>82215998
It's mostly subbed but all the children's movies are dubbed, very well in my opinion, often with an all star cast.
I'm from Bulgaria btw.
>>
>>82216718
Bruh, don't count yourself short. Let the Right One In, is literally one of my favorite movies.
>>
>>82215418
I watched OP
>>
>>82216866
What'd you think, pretentious hipster trash or bretty comfy?
>>
>>82216887
Neat vampire film in a sea of shit.
>>
>>82216789
Same in Croatia. That said when I was a kid Sesame Street was subbed for some reason.
>>
>>82216834
Eh. I found it to be pretty boring.

I think also knowing Swedish makes every serious Swedish movie feel silly. Like you can't take it seriously. Not sure why, imagine watching Schindler's List where everyone talked with a silly Cornish accent and that's the kind of feeling you get.
>>
>>82216969
Elmo was dubbed, though.
>>
I watch more foreign cinema than an average person but I'm no expert. I went into OP expecting to like it but found it really boring. Can't go into details cuz my mind hasn't retained any. It was stylish, though.
>>
>>82216971
Really? That's such a shame you feel that way, Swedish, Norwegian and the rest of the Nordic languages are the prettiest sounding languages to me.

It was like the epitome of comfy to me. It was just such a pleasant and sweet story, even the shit with the pedophile as fucked up as that sounds. The kids were also really really likable.
>>
>>82216866
>A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
>foreign movie
If that's qualifies as a foreign movie just because they don't speak english, despite the fact if was made and filmed completely in California, than so is shit like Jason Bourne or Mission: Impossible movies, because at least those were not only filmed all over the world but also feature multiple foreign languages being spoken.
>>
>>82217177
Eh, true, but c'mon, everyone would consider it a foreign, or at least a foreign language film and that's whats really meant when people say foreign, its just a short hand.
>>
>>82215418
>this is what the average /tv/ pleb thinks about when they think about 'foreign' CINEMA

It's even worse that it's a genre flick.
>>
Almost all films I watch are "Foreign" to me because almost no films are made here.
>>
>>82217343
I just find it funny that despite setting the movie in Iran, they filmed a few scenes on locations that couldn't look more like they were stereotypical american (or californian) suburbs or general scenery even if they tried.
>>
File: under_the_shadow_stairwell.jpg (128KB, 620x368px) Image search: [Google]
under_the_shadow_stairwell.jpg
128KB, 620x368px
Under the Shadows warns us of the dangers the djinn posses.
>>
>>82217629
Well actually, its not set in Iran, the director said she wanted to set it in a place that didn't exist, hence Bad City, its a place that's a mix of Iran and America hence why the Iranian people act nothing like Iranians. Like I thought it was really really cool the chador was a stand in for the typical vampire cloak. I kinda wish more foreign cultures did their own take on horror, it'd provide so much refreshing content. Like a maori horror based on maori mythology would be cool, south american, indian, all of it.
>>
>>82217695
This movie did spook the fuck out of me, but it did it with so many jump scares I felt it didnt really count. Still a decent enough movie.
>>
>>82217695
>>82215418
I had no idea Iranian girls could be so qt.

The princess in walks alone was especially hot.
>>
>>82215418
tons. I mainly watch hollywood stuff; but since i'm not an american, that counts as foreign
>>
File: forushande-movie-2.jpg (37KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
forushande-movie-2.jpg
37KB, 800x535px
>>82217800
The Persians, my ancient enemies!
>>
>>82215418
Im from a country with a shit film industry so all films i see are foreign
>>
>>82215418
I watch a lot of american films.
>>
>>82215418
>watching foreign films
>"cultured"

So I guess what you're saying is if someone watches an American film they are getting uncultured?
More degenerate?
>>
If you consciously divide your films like "I'm going to watch a foreign films today" then you're a massive plebeian.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 2985x1933px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 2985x1933px
>>82218326
dat fucking neck

this scene was romantic as fuck. i wonder if many girls would like this movie.
>>
>>82215418
>a girl walks alone
>foreign
>filmed in california
>with an american crew
>produced by elijah wood
>starred by iranian-american actors
>foreign
>>
>>82219086
>>82215418
Was just about to mention that.
>>
>>82216887
>I watched OP
I thought it could've been more compelling if handled differently but overall pretty comfy stuff.
Girl was cute
>>
>>82219086
See >>82217343
Someone pointed out and resolved everything you said.
>>
I watched Miss Hokusai, Summer in Andalusia, and The Case of Hana & Alice.
>>
>>82218397
If it was released in this century, yes, most definitely.
>>
>>82215418
I've watched a number of foreign films recently, mostly from America
>>
>>82219649
fucking weebs...
how was Hana and Alice?
>>
The Wailing and Destruction Babies.
>>
I'm not American so every hollywood flick I see is a foreign movie.

Although they are all shit.
>>
Unless you watch those foreign films without subtitles don't even post here. You can't enjoy a foreign film properly if you're reading subs, so the proper way is to learn the language
>>
>>82219808
It was pretty good, except the rotoscoping and backgrounds are more or less terrible. It would have been better with a higher budget or if it was left unrotoscoped, but they rotoscoped it in the first place because the lead actresses are now too old for the roles. The original live action movie came out in 2004.
>>
>>82215418
The best (or worst) is when you throw on a foreign horror expecting something special and it turns out to be as bad, or even worse than the American counterparts they're trying to emulate. The Scandinavians are particularly guilty of this.
>>
>>82219984
I pirated it a while ago but haven't gotten around to watching it - mostly because the rotoscoping thing was making me dizzy, but I might get used to it. I haven't watched the first one though. Is it necessary?
>>
>>82219969
>he thinks merely learning the language will allow him to properly understand the film

Get out. Unless you've spend at LEAST a decade living in that country you cannot possibly hope to enjoy the film in its totality.
>>
>>82220034
Just because somethings not in English doesn't automatically make it better.
>>
I have yet to see an Edward Yang film I don't like. A Brighter Summer Days is a bit overrated though, I think I prefer Yi Yi
>>82219969
I take it you know 10 languages minimum
>>
>>82220068
This takes place before the original, and I don't think there's any expectation that viewers have seen or remember it. I watched it so long ago I've forgotten almost everything.
>>
>>82220088
It does, though.
>>
>>82220088
Something I've learned through watching foreign horror.
>>
Foreign movies I have watched this year + rating:

The Witness - 9/10
Stroszek - 9/10
Cube - 7/10
Sing - 8/10
Nosferatu - 7/10
A Man Escaped - 9/10
Mon Oncle - 7/10

Pretty good films overall, American movies I have watched vary much more in quality, although I gotta admit, the best movie I have seen this year (and the only 10/10) would be an american one, Silence.
>>
>>82215998
All movies dubbed in theaters and there is bunch of amateur dubbers to dub pirated movies, some with speech disorders. The only subbed is some art house reruns in occasion.
>>
Not american, so I'm guessing 99% films I watch are foreign :^)
>>
All films I watch are foreign films because my movie industry sucks

check mate atheist :^)
>>
>>82215418
Knife In the Water
Wake In Fright (hope it counts since it's straya)
Sin Nombre
The Lives Of Others
A Prophet
Stroszek
Ex-Drummer
Ali: Fear eats Soul
Heart of Glass
Il Divo

i guess i'm alright
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.