[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> it's a "Mike and Jay let their fondness for c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 11

File: The-Mist.jpg (200KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
The-Mist.jpg
200KB, 1280x1024px
> it's a "Mike and Jay let their fondness for campy horror films bias their judgment to recommend a fairly shitty movie" episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1asq06rh2qo&ab_channel=RedLetterMedia
>>
>RedditLetterMedia

Yeah, great.
>>
>>82143485
Fuck you, The Mist is great
>>
>>82143485
>a fairly shitty movie
lol what
>>
>>82145113
No, it's not. All the problems you just brushed away because it's supposed to be campy? I disregarded the intention and judged the movie on its own merits.
>>
>>82143485
>Jay likes the ending because it is dark and cruel
The ending was the worst part about the movie because of how totally hokey it was. Basically ruined the rest of the movie because it turned it into a cheap farce for laughs.
>>
>>82145155

The Mist movie is amazing and far superior to the short story (something that also happen with The Arrival/The Story of your Life).

Actors and direction are excellent. Visual FX are shitty due to low budget, but they have charm, and the tone improves a lot in the intended black and white version. This is basically Half Life 1 events out of Black Mesa, the movie.
>>
> it's a "anon lets his fondness for blind salty contrariansim bias his judgment in creating a fairly shitty thread" post
>>
>>82145155
>All the problems
what might those be? the weak cg creatures? big whoop
>>
Oh look its another "Hate on this thing cause someone else likes it" thread
>>
>>82145155

You literally have a shit taste and unironically shit opinions, kill yourself immediately
>>
>>82143485
STOP WATCHING THESE 95 IQ MIDWEST DIPSHITS

THEY HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ART, NOR DO THEY HAVE ANY INTEREST TO GAIN ANY
>>
>>82143485
>it is OP is pleb without a taste episode
>>
>>82145227
>>82143485
full fucking plebs who didn't get the ending and its message at all detected. back to Ribbit with you.
>>
>>82143485
Yeah dude I agree with you. It's like if someone took a made for TV sci-fi channel movie and made it slightly better than they usually are. Yes it's entertaining in some ways, but not what I would call a legit good movie.
>>
>>82145252
>The Mist movie is amazing
Oh, come on.

>far superior to the short story (something that also happen with The Arrival/The Story of your Life).
Probably. I was wondering why the dialogue was so incredibly hammy, and I had to assume it was faithfully adapted from the text.

>Actors and direction are excellent.
I wouldn't describe either as excellent by any means. I found the acting to be serviceable, but the characterization to be very obnoxious. I don't think it presented a plausible depiction of how a set of people would act in that scenario. The worst would have been the female religious nutjob, which was so over-the-top, and I had to force myself to not skip over her parts. How people begin to flock to her and develop into a mob mentality seemed totally contrived. Pretty much all the dialogue was extremely hammy, and even Jay admitted this. All the cinematography looked extremely cheap, and not just the CGI. They even had the extremely lazy fade-to-dark transitions.

What else. The relationship that the G.I. had had no payoff, the ending was predictable and hackneyed.

>>82145313
Not contrarianism. Had this movie not been recommended and I saw it without ever hearing it praised, I would have shut it off fairly quickly. >>82145360
I mentioned others
.>>82145377
No.
>>82145378
I didn't think this movie would be held in so high regard here. I don't think I've ever heard of it before I watch RLM's review
>>82145404
I find them funny.
>>82145419
I think we get the ending. Some people might be shocked by it, (retards), and others found it unsatisfying.
>>82145542
>It's like if someone took a made for TV sci-fi channel movie and made it slightly better than they usually are.
This so much, and not just because of the CGI.
>>
I liked it. Only seen it once though.
>>
Reddit Letter Memeia
>>
It's incredible, you're a pleb of the highest order.
>>
>>82145613
Fuck off reddit
>>
>>82145613
>The worst would have been the female religious nutjob, which was so over-the-top, and I had to force myself to not skip over her parts.

i have encounter people like that character in real life, so the "over the top" thing is a matter of opinion.
>>
>>82145444
what was the message ?
>>
>King's story is about how people react in extreme situations and rationality and the social contract go out the window immediately and it's me or you, monsters are barely there
>movie is about BIG ASS monsters and our hero, Thomas Jane
>>
reddit
shitter
memedia
>>
>>82145613
>How people begin to flock to her and develop into a mob mentality seemed totally contrived
>ive never been around backwater hicks so this character is contrived
>>
>>82145748
This.
Of course, 99.9% of religious people ain't like that, but the 0.1% that is tend to be insufferable cunts with very obvious social and mental issues.
>>
>>82143485
>>82145113
>>82145155

The boy died. It's an awful awful movie.
>>
>/tv/ only seems interested in some movie because some random youtubber told them so

Have some shame.
>>
>>82145748
>>82145799
>>82145810

I would say most people have not met people in this. They would also have to react similarly in that situation, and then eventually convince other people until they become deranged mob.

The term "cliched," is thrown around a lot, but it not only felt like that, and very contrived, like it was a parody of movies that feature the religious nutjob. This contrivanced was compounded by not only having people listen to her, (which I think is rare), but having her control everybody else with her bible banging. I mean, you didn't feel the least bit annoyed when they actually engaged in human sacrifice? I thought the writers were basically calling us idiots at that point, assuming we would accept anything as long as there was a trope for it.
>>
>>82145861
Is this supposed to be a joke? Maybe if build-up to that moment made me care about the kid, I would have been bothered, but then it would have had more of an impact. I don't like the ending, but not because the kid died.
>>
>he watches Red Etter Media
>>
>>82145766
>>King's story is about how people react in extreme situations and rationality and the social contract go out the window immediately and it's me or you, monsters are barely there
Based on the review, I thought this aspect would be emphasized more. Maybe they were trying to rationalize liking a very dumb, campy monster movie by exaggerating its intellectual depth.
>>
>>82145758

not the anon you replied to but to me the message was "follow a psychotic fanatic and you'll survive. be brave and noble and ethical and your son will die."
>>
>>82145946
>not caring about kid

heartless and obviously no friends irl
>>
>>82146201
Okay, maybe I cared a little, but not that much. Again, I didn't hate the ending because killing off a kid was heartless, or whever.
>>
>Its another "go opposite of RLM's opinion because /tv/ hates them now" episode.

Just give it up, stop reviewing a review.
>>
>>82146276

i hated the ending because i wanted to kid to survive.
>>
>>82146418
That would go against the whole point of the film if he were to survive.

It seems people clearly miss that it was supposed to be about the religious woman being right.
>>
>>82145946

Not everyone who watches movies are filmmaker wannabes. Most moviegoers watch movies to simply enjoy and be entertained and they care about the characters and what happens to them.
>>
>>82146501

Normal people do not hate or like a movie based on what the point of the movie is. Normal people hate or like a movie based on whether they enjoyed watching it or not.
>>
>>82145155

Did you know Picasso was actually a very talented realist artist? Even though he's known most for his cubist stuff, he could draw really realistic and good looking things. But the goal of every artist isn't to be a camera and draw everything perfectly. Sometimes expression in art can be about making things imperfect, or letting the imperfections exist in the work. So instead of saying it's shit because it's a campy B-movie, we should ask what was the artist trying to convey? Frank was making a sort of homage to older sci-fi B-movies. It wasn't supposed to be perfect because those movies weren't perfect. Awkward dialogue, or over-the-top characters may be imperfections, but they give work character. The movie is shot pretty well. It's got decent pacing. You can't deny it's engaging. And the end, even if you disagree with it, belongs in the movie for a reason. The whole "death of the author" thing is overrated. You can disregard the intention but then you're acting on incomplete information. Which is never ideal. You don't get insight from willful ignorance.
>>
>>82146543
>filmmaker wannabes.
Okay. I could understand how somebody might make an accusation like that if they here reasons for judging the film that they consider to be too abstract or pretentious, but I don't think you should have gotten that impression from what I was saying. Sometimes, I have emotional connections with character, meaning I care what happens to them, and sometimes I don't, and I won't care, and I didn't really care what happened to the kid, and I think that's justified, considering how minor he actually was in the film and how little screen time he had. He also wasn't that interesting either.
>>
>>82143485
The Mist is Stranger Things before that show came out.
>>
>>82145946
>anon cares about boy
>is this supposed to be a joke?

are you serious?
>>
>>82146643
>Awkward dialogue, or over-the-top characters may be imperfections, but they give work character.
I guess, but strongly remind me of those abysmal Asylum movies. Also, imitating older movies of an antiquated style almost never works because maybe there's necessary elements you can't reproduce, or the elements you put in would only work with older audiences, or standards have improve for filmmaking. As evidence, I present Red Tails.

>But the goal of every artist isn't to be a camera and draw everything perfectly.
Using a drawing analogy is difficult, because anybody could admire artwork in any style if there's enough skilled displayed, but to me, this is like imitating movies which are very antiquated and an unpopular style because the standards people have for movies, including characterization, plots, dialogue, and of course, effects, have vastly improved since whenever the movies this movie is imitating were released.
>we should ask what was the artist trying to convey?
That thought wouldn't have occurred to me hadn't the comparison been pointed out, and it won't make me like the film more, and I wouldn't even consider it a better film.
>The movie is shot pretty well.
Everything about the movie's cinematography scream "cheap" to me. like I'm watching something between a made-for-television movie, and an feature. So I don't think it's shot well.
>You can't deny it's engaging.
I won't deny that, but I would have turned it within 30 minutes it it wasn't recommended by RLM.
>You can disregard the intention but then you're acting on incomplete information.
It's not going to make me enjoy the movie more, and I don't think it's a better movie after learning was it was paying a homage to. To me, that's a separate element from the final product, and its merit has to be judged on its own terms, independent of the author's intentions.
>>
>>82147003
I meant in the sense of seriously saying the movie was bad because of it.
>>
>>82147091

you really expect people rate a movie the same way you do? you're actually surprised that people judge a movie based on whether they enjoyed it or not? do you talk to people irl?
>>
>>82147166
>>82147091

oh, when i said talk to people irl i meant normal people.
>>
>>82146643
>So instead of saying it's shit because it's a campy B-movie, we should ask what did the artist mean by this?
>>
>>82146731
lol Stranger Things wishes it was that edgy.
>>
>>82146643
Picasso wasn't just talented, he was a genius. The guy was in artschool at age 12 and by the time he was 20 he was already a master painter. He teamed up with George Braque to invent cubism because he had already knew what he needed from the traditional approach and began to apply the concepts of time to his work. The point of cubism was to have an object or objects viewed from various view angles and points of time all at once. He also made cubist sculptures which surprised me.
>>
>>82147166
It seems excessive to hate a movie just because a kid died towards the very end. I guess that could have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but who's going to say, "I loved this movie until the kid died, but now I think it sucks"?
>>
>>82147282
The general audience doesn't care for making bold choices like having an innocent kid get killed. Imagine all the shit ID4 would have gotten if Boomer didn't live and you watched the dog (that has no significance to the movie overall) get enveloped in the explosion.
>>
>>82147413
I guess that explains all these fucking articles from normies, not that they even hate the movie, but were "scarred for life" because of it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+mist+ending&oq=the+mist+ending&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1871j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
>>
it drags a bit in the supermarket, and the insano lady annoyed the crap out of me, but overall it's good would recommend
>>
>>82147514
>normies

Ah. You're abnormal. That explains a lot.
>>
>>82147514
They're probably the same people that say "13 reasons why" really made me aware how we should treat others better and think about the actions we make.
>>
File: Screenshot_142 (2).png (936KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_142 (2).png
936KB, 644x644px
>>82147567
>Ah. You're abnormal. That explains a lot.
>>
The entire film was about the bleakness of their situation, and the ending fits in well.
It was shocking that it wasn't simply and-they-lived-happily-ever-after.
>>
>>82147712

The edges. They hurt.
>>
File: 1492025229076.png (230KB, 377x489px) Image search: [Google]
1492025229076.png
230KB, 377x489px
saw this last night with my gf and her friend.

the first 10 min is absolute kino
>>
>>82147712
The only bad thing about the ending is the pacing of it. It felt like he walked off 20ft before running into the military (the impression of which makes you wonder why they didn't notice them while in the car)
>>
>>82147920
>my gf and her friend

stalking two girls and sitting behind them in theatre does not make them your "gf and her friend"
>>
>>82148137
>them in theatre
So by "last night," did he also mean ten years ago?
>>
The Mist is shit.

The Long Walk movie WHEN? tho
I want my P I S S kino
>>
>>82147920
>gf brought a friend to watch a movie with you

She's cheating on you, Ross.
>>
>>82143485
>It's an anon thinks he can judge something objectively episode
>>
>>82148203
>girls were at home watching dvd

psycho stalker staring through window
>>
>>82148240
yeah we invited her friend over to our house because my gf is cheating on me?
>>
>>82148572
>whoooosh

Ross is a character in Friends. Google what happened to Ross' wife and her female friend.

>inb4 you also don't know what whoooosh means
nvm
>>
File: f.jpg (180KB, 751x733px) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
180KB, 751x733px
>>82148572
>>
There should be second part showing how US army was killing all that Lovecraft monsters
>>
>>82148860

They showed it, you blind baboon. Or did you watch a pirated version that did not finish?
>>
>20+ humans are scared of and die from a cat sized bugs that they fend off and kill all the fucking movie.
>Main hero kills everyone with no threat in sight as cars runs out of fuel.
Movie was fucking dumb.
>>
>>82143485
Anon is right, the film is garbage:

I knew Mike was a plen but not Jay.
>>
>>82147063
>"WAAH, I DON'T LIKE IT SO IT'S BAD!"
>>
>>82149560
>>Main hero kills everyone with no threat in sight as cars runs out of fuel.
They've been traveling across the country and there's no end of the mist in sight. The monsters are fucking huge and he's trying to spare the other people in the car from being eaten alive by them.
>>
>>82146643
> What is Death of the Author

And besides. You can philosophize all you want but at the end of the day it's a shitty film with an unearned ending, poor monster design (should have been just mist, not fucking tentacles), one-dimensional characters and uninteresting plot.
>>
First time I've seen these "red letter media" people, loving them so far! have an updoot
>>
>>82152354
Most of the monsters they met were small and slow. They showed that monsters can be pretty easily damaged\killed. They travelled less than a day on 1 gasoline tank and not a single monster attacked them.
No one tried to go get more fuel, no one tried to wait until they are in any kind of danger.
They build him as logical and caring for his son, but the minute that gasoline tank is gone - he turned into some edgy teenager retard and killed everyone.
>>
>>82152541
The whole point is that they had all given up hope. They could attempt to get gas, but why bother? There's just more mist out there.
>>
File: 1459071827493.jpg (23KB, 604x311px) Image search: [Google]
1459071827493.jpg
23KB, 604x311px
>>82147712
> Film about people turning on one another
> "It was shocking that it wasn't simply and-they-lived-happily-ever-after"
>>
>>82143485
The film was about faith vs pragmatism and the way fear will amplify both. Carol uses the fear but with her faith to find her children and goes out to look for them.

She's the only one who survives in the end.
>>
File: glare.png (114KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
glare.png
114KB, 511x511px
>>82143485
All reviewers should be executed.
>>
>>82152610
Again - they drove for less than a day on one gasoline tank and they were in relative safety(bugs would take time to smash through windows). They build up MC as caring for his son, but he just offs him the second the car stopped.
If they wanted to do some kind of breakdown they should've done it at his house with his dead wife, but he kept going for his son's sake.
If they wanted to do ending where he kills everyone - they should've showed some passage of time or some monster attack where they all will lose hope. Instead he goes for that plan instantly and everyone are okay with it somehow(again - it was a pretty peaceful ride for other 3).
>>
The only good thing about that movie was the ending and the theme song.
>>
Reminder that hating the ending means you self inserted too hard into the protagonist like they said. That you pictured yourself as the rational guy who wouldn't go crazy in this situation and also the noble guy willing to sacrifice yourself for everyone else but at the end of the day your nobility and rational thinking didn't reward you but punished you and that life is always a roll of the dice and the reason anyone listened to the crazy Lady was because she kept rolling double sixes, while you kept rolling snake eyes.
>>
>>82152990
post 4chan pass pin
>>
>>82152796
It was about a group where no one took responsibility of being a leader that lead to a chaos and needless deaths.
>>
>>82153017

7945, not sure how to enter it correctly though
>>
>>82152904
They did, you just didn't watch the film. The school bus covered in spiderwebs, his home the same (I think they even showed his wife?), and all the malformed shapes and unidentifiable sounds in the mist, and the final behemoth walking over them. They saw that the creatures--to their knowledge--had claimed the earth, and attempt to survive among them was pointless.

It doesn't need to be exposition after exposition and overreacting to express this. Jesus christ you don't like film, do you?
>>
>>82152965
This is the correct opinion.
>>
>>82153023
They all signed a death sentence when they choose to stay and not leave with Carol. That point is the social commentary of the film.

The core of the film is faith vs logic and how fear will distort both.
>>
>>82153065
I liked it, except the poorly done ending. pulled me right out of the movie - couldn't feel anything for his character - they just switchedhim with someone else.
>and attempt to survive among them was pointless.
How so? They killed a bunch of them, they fight them off, monsters are afraid of fire - they can survive. That's the problem - they never should've shown the monsters. By showing the viewer that they can be dealt with - they lessened the threat. Monsters become just bugs that the group couldn't fight off effectively only becuse they had no clear leader and order.
>>
>>82143485
I fucking adore this movie. That ending is the greatest work of comedy ever committed to film. It brings me a very intense sense of joy to introduce the movie to unsuspecting viewers.
>>
>>82153082
How Carol is even related to faith symbolism?
>>
>>82153377
She left with only one goal in mind, to find her kids, she didnt care about her safety, she just made a leap of faith.
>>
>>82153249
They killed bugs and mini-dragon birds.
Meanwhile, the warden of the grocery--the giant crab mantis thing--killed two of them without being challenged, and the tentacles without orgiin still had yet to be explained in size, and then they come across a creature that dwarfs any land-treading animal they've known.
Sure, you can fight off large insects, but when faced with things that defy a reality you've known your whole life, you don't just buck up and charge on. These are people in a small maine town, not soldiers, and when shown that Soldiers even shudder at what they've unleashed, a common citizen isn't going to somehow must up more courage.
>>
>>82146393
I like the movie but I'm not going to pretend the ending wasn't contrived dogshit. The fact that King likes it should tell you how fucking bad it is, the man has barely ever managed to write a decent ending.
>>
>>82153422
Well - many fucking people did it, before her and after her leaving.
>>
>>82153377
The fact that she leaves to face the unknown to get her kids. The fear of the situation doesn't blind her from doing what is right.
>>
File: 52457457367.jpg (48KB, 378x352px) Image search: [Google]
52457457367.jpg
48KB, 378x352px
Objectively terrible ending
>>
>has a christian
>she's a crazy nutbar

how to tell your movie is europhic
>>
>>82153430
Mantis never challenged them directly and is relatively small. Tentacle thing was dealt with an axe and a door. The giant just passed them without doing anything - some Jurassic Park shit.
>>
>>82153065
>>82153249
Sooner or later the bugs would have gotten them. Look at how fucked they got with all of them working together. As the group became more split up the monsters would gain the advantage.
>>
>>82146501

that wasn't the point of the movie at all retard. she wasn't right. she was looking for meaning in a meaningless world. the mist didn't clear because he "sacrificed" his son. it was just a coincidence.
>>
>>82153740
They didn't work together - they had no leader. No one took the responsibility. Just a few clicks, some loners and mentally unstable woman bunched up together. that's why when anything fucking happens - everyone for themselve doing something that came in their minds or just piss their pants in fear without any direction in how to deal with the problem.
>>
File: nun.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nun.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>82153801
coincidence is heathen's word for everything they can't explain
>>
>>82152904
how do you know it was less than a day and how did you not see the obvious foreshadowing when the dad promised the kid that the bugs would never get him? did you watch the flick?
>>
Okay first off could we please fucking ban people from talking about these cunts in a positive or negative or neutral light because there has not been a single thread about them that is anything but shit
I would also like to know what the actual problems with the movie were, since the ones I can think of are the CG (forgivable but certainly a big problem) and the shoddy acting from some actors (I don't remember any of the main ones being shit though)
>>
Let's be real: the only reason people hate this is because all the characters are unlikeable and you actually WANT them to all die
>>
File: mike.png (313KB, 701x394px) Image search: [Google]
mike.png
313KB, 701x394px
>>82143485
>tfw those kike fucks at disney won't hire you to voice their characters
>>
>>82156652
>When you realize this joke was made because Rich actually got VA work

Why aren't people contacting the sponsors of that show and saying how Rich is inappropriate for a children's va?
>>
>>82156808
Because nobody but losers like you with nothing better to do could possibly give a shit.
>>
>>82155777
Checked and mentioned them here >>82145613
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.