[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You're trapped in a ship or facility with one of these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 34

File: 08.22-the-thing.jpg (105KB, 759x474px) Image search: [Google]
08.22-the-thing.jpg
105KB, 759x474px
You're trapped in a ship or facility with one of these guys. Left or right?
>>
can i be friends with the xenomorph?
>>
Holy shit the xenomorph without question.
>>
right because apparently even women can beat it.
>>
If I'm alone and unarmed, it doesn't really matter, but I'd pick the Thing so I could have a conversation or something before I die.

If with other people, one Xeno is manageable if everyone works together, even more if you have/can make weapons. One Thing could wipe out everyone before anyone realizes something's off. So Xeno.
>>
>>82135907
MEW seemed to do okay against the Thing.
>>
Xeno unless it's 1v1 then The Thing.
>>
>>82135850

You can kill a xeno pretty easy assuming it doesn't get the drop on you.
>>
A little girl survived a week living in a colony infested with xenos.

A team of scientists with flamethrowers couldn't survive a day with the thing.
>>
>>82135931
If you kill the xeno, its blood will melt all the shit and you'll die from space. Only way to properly dispose of them is shooting them out of the airlock.
>>
>>82135956
>thing 2011
you wat?
>>
>>82135850
Xenomorph obviously. The Thing could assimilate people and get all of us easily. The Alien would be much easier to deal with, also less horrifying to die to
>>
>>82136024
Hey, you're the one who brought sex into the conversation. You should've known it would lead to this.
>>
>>82135905
Didn't the thing just wanted to be left alone and even built a little flying saucer to escape? I need to rewatch it, it scared the shit out of me as a kid.
>>
>>82135850
Hey uhh just putting this out there but the Alien from Ridley Scott's Alien (1979) is invincible it wasnt filmed but Sigourney Weaver was supposed to blast him with a laser pistol and it had no effect

Now the umm James Cameron Aliens (1986) retcon ones can be killed normally

Hopefully this was informative
>>
>>82136136
The thing seemed to want to just keep assimilating organic matter.
>>
>>82136136
The flying saucer is how it got there. What it wanted to do was escape the pole because it can die in the freezing cold temperatures. It probably wanted to infect everything on the planet
>>
>>82135850
How does Alien see?
>>
>>82136136
Prequel implied that the alien ship was not of the thing, but a ship that collected species from other planets. Thing broke out, assimilated the alien crew, then crashed on earth. Damn shame about the PS2 cgi, the story was pretty nice.
>>
>>82136082
>spotted the woman
>>
>>82136196
I doubt anyone plans on killing a xenomorph. They mostly come out at night (mostly) so it's easy to live with one in the area if you keep yourself well hidden at night.
>>
>>82136277
>in space
>they only come out at night
interesting
>>
>>82136271
I fucking wish. Then I might be able to get laid.
>>
>>82136296
>You're trapped in a ship or facility with one of these guys. Left or right?
>ship or facility

Who the fuck picks the ship?
>>
>>82136326
>implying the facility is on earth
are you retarded?
>>
>>82136314
kek
touche lad
>>
>>82136277
The Alien Big Chaps kill everything they're extremely aggressive you can't hide from them they'll get you no matter what don't you understand you fucking retard BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP
>>
>>82136354
>earth is the only planet that has day and night cycles

Skipped elementary school science class huh?
>>
>>82135850
right because i want to fuck a xeno
>>
>>82136407
>thinks night and day last the same time on every planet
try again
>>
>>82135850
Xenomorph would give me a less painful death.
>>
>>82136447
Whoa you can't just move goalposts so obviously like that. It's insulting.
>>
The xenomorph is fucking sexy so I choose that one
>>
>>82136255
through its dome, whether visually is up to debate with that shell covering its eye sockets with Ridleys scotts xeno,

Cameron's however must be some other form of extra-sensory registration. it doesnt make a noise that we know of to echo-locate (that we can hear anyway, maybe it does since animals start freaking out before it moves or comes out of hiding)
>>
The Thing is far more vulnerable and will give you a quicker death, assuming the alien wants to egg or chestburster you.
>>
>>82135931
>I'd pick the Thing so I could have a conversation or something before I die.
It wouldn't talk to you, other than perhaps to try to convince you it is human before it jumps you. The Thing never speaks once it has been truly exposed.
>>
>>82136886
Best thing to Pray for when it comes to a xenomorph is a swift Innerjaw bite
>>
If a xenomorph is alone without a queen for long enough it will molt into a queen itself and start to produce eggs. The xenomorph is far more dangerous if you do not kill it soon enough.

But that's expanded universe shit who cares really.
>>
>>82136136
No, Blair runs projections and it will absolutely take over the planet in like a month or two if it got to the mainland.

If much rather tangle with a xenomorph. You'd have an easier time hiding from it, and killing it. Furthermore in the likely event either killed you, with the xenomorph you can at least die with the knowledge it won't walk around wearing your face like a mask and pretending to be you while murdering your entire family and replacing it.
>>
>>82136975
It was more like 4 years. That was in 1982 though.
>>
>>82135850
Obviously the Alien. Fuck The Thing.
>>
>>82135850
I would go with the American guy, Xenomorphs are overpowered cunts
>>
>>82136945
That Isn't anywhere close to the same level of danger.

The thing can look and act like anything. At least with xenomorphs you know where you stand.

What you see is what you get. Conventional weapons actually hurt them. An infection would be disastrous but not to the same extent as a thing infestation.
>>
File: 1493161729200.png (340KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
1493161729200.png
340KB, 600x583px
>>82136945
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
>>
>>82135850
I'd take Daisy Ridley
>>
>>82136196
>uhh
>umm
Stop that.
>>
>>82135850
Left, cause i'm not a fan of acid and being swallowed into something endless, is kind of a cool way to die.
>>
>>82136022
>he things space ships won't and currently don't have compartmentalization
Fucking retard. Kill the xeno and then into another room before the acid causes an breech. It's not difficult.
>>
>>82135850
It's really just a choice of being eaten alive or a quick and (probably) painless death
>>
>>82136136
The little flying saucer was so it could get to a continent with more life
>>
>>82137031
Um, yeah, sorry sweetie, I'll talk how I like
>>
>>82137062
That assumes the alien doesn't want to turn you into an egg. That's far more painful than getting some tentacles shoved into your face and dying quickly.
>>
I'd attempt to fuck the xenomorph
>>
>>82135850
Right because getting plastered to the wall and impregnated would make me feel wanted for once in my life
>>
>>82137112
I want to rub his forehead, it looks so soft but powerful at the same time
>>
File: sweater queen.jpg (491KB, 900x1237px) Image search: [Google]
sweater queen.jpg
491KB, 900x1237px
>>82137112
this
>>
File: 1488236627987.gif (213KB, 250x263px) Image search: [Google]
1488236627987.gif
213KB, 250x263px
>>82137112
>>
anything that can mimic a human being is horrifying. no one is ready for that.

i'll take the xenomorph any day of the week
>>
File: 1492906645566.png (137KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492906645566.png
137KB, 480x360px
I thought people wanting to fuck the xeno was a joke. Is it her hips?
>>
The Xenomorph will be difficult to kill unless I have the kind of weaponry that can deal with it. If not we're all screwed.

The Thing can be killed simply by setting it on fire. A flamethrower is all you need. All you need to do is murder every single person on the ship or in the facility and you win.
>>
How does the Thing work? Is it a physical creature wearing your skin or is it kind of like the flood from halo where you get absorbed and then it can take your form?
>>
Do you guys think the thing could be convinced to fuck you before it eats you?
>>
File: Bennings-Thing_-_Profile.jpg (257KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Bennings-Thing_-_Profile.jpg
257KB, 800x800px
>>82135850
A Xenomorph because it would outright kill me instead of a slow copypaste process.

Remember what happened to Bennings? Fuck that.
>>
>>82137280
I want to get rimmed by her tongue
>>
>>82137349
It absorbs organic matter and molds it to whatever it wants, and it can mimic humans perfectly. Also, if parts of it are cut off from the main mass those parts can act independently,
>>
>>82137349
the latter, it just needs your DNA i think
>>82137355
in the remake from a few years ago im pretty sure the thing seduces a guy before killing him
>>
>Xenomorph
easily killed by fucking assault rifles
>The Thing

can't kill it unless you destroy every fucking individual cell of it, meanwhile it can turn into fucking anything and kill you all while perfectly disguising itself as any organic material it wants to

wow I wonder
>>
>>82137349
Assuming it has you alone, it will either eat you, produce a copy inside of itself and then spit it out, or it will jam its tentacles into you and replace you cell by cell until it is no longer you even on a cellular level.

If it's spooked and you aren't alone it will just maul you and you'll quickly turn like a zombie bite victim.
>>
>>82137395
I will always remember that line..."Fuchs? Fuchs is not Fuchs."
>>
>>82137349
It replaces you cell by cell. Obviously faster if it attacks you, but prolonged exposure means you slowly turn into it without even realizing.
>>
>>82137355
The thing literally rapes you at a cellular level
>>
>>82137471
That fanfic really turned edgy at the end out of nowhere.
>>
>>82137458
Well you know it attacks you, but your conscience probably gets altered as you are slowly morphing into the Thing. It's like being forced into an orgy.
>>
File: wIGnl73l.jpg (144KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
wIGnl73l.jpg
144KB, 1252x1252px
>>82137524
>>
>>82137524
I meant in the sense that its cover hasn't been blown and isn't trying to attack you and it simply touches you like with a handshake or something. Pretty sure they talk about it in the movie and why the guy that got bitten by the dog was a red herring.
>>
>>82137601
There's no evidence that it can take you over slowly like that. We never see it happen and it if it were possible then The Thing would have won early on, because Fuchs doesn't get the idea to separately prepare their own meals until 2/3 of the way into the movie.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12841784
>>
>>82135880
.. yeah
>>
>>82136022
Once that acid blood reaches the chambers where artificial gravity is not active
It'll just float there and become oxidized

It won't burn a hole through the ship
>>
>>82136207
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
>>
>>82135850
Id rather be trapped with a thousand xenomorphs then one of those fucking things
>>
>>82136460
are you sure?
you only have to touch The Thing and it's over
>>
Do I want to get all body-horrored or do I want to get glued to a wall and facehuggered and then chest bursted

I would probably just shoot myself out an airlock sooner than either of those
>>
>>82138319
The kennel master gets licked by the dog thing at the start and nothing happens to him. And despite the idea that they should separately prepare their own meals instead of just grabbing something out of the fridge only being introduced 2/3 of the way into the movie, the Thing doesn't just contaminate the orange juice for an auto-win.
>>
>>82135850
Xeno because if on ship its a race to the escape pod or ultimate lock down vs having to worry if every other person or thing your with is in fact the thing

And xeno because the thing would probably consume my brain matter and then head for earth, and i guess i dont really want that to happen
>>
>>82138176
but one of those fucking Things could be a thousand Xenomorphs.
>>
>>82138067
Based anon. Better story than thing 2
>>
>>82138067
>goes from a curious explorer to a twisted fucking psychopath in just a few sentences at the end
>>
>>82137349
I am being Blair. I escape out the back as the world comes in through the front.
I am being Copper. I am rising from the dead.
I am being Childs. I am guarding the main entrance.
The names don't matter. They are placeholders, nothing more; all biomass is interchangeable. What matters is that these are all that is left of me. The world has burned everything else.
I see myself through the window, loping through the storm, wearing Blair. MacReady has told me to burn Blair if he comes back alone, but MacReady still thinks I am one of him. I am not: I am being Blair, and I am at the door. I am being Childs, and I let myself in. I take brief communion, tendrils writhing forth from my faces, intertwining: I am BlairChilds, exchanging news of the world.
The world has found me out. It has discovered my burrow beneath the tool shed, the half-finished lifeboat cannibalized from the viscera of dead helicopters. The world is busy destroying my means of escape. Then it will come back for me.
There is only one option left. I disintegrate. Being Blair, I go to share the plan with Copper and to feed on the rotting biomass once called Clarke; so many changes in so short a time have dangerously depleted my reserves. Being Childs, I have already consumed what was left of Fuchs and am replenished for the next phase. I sling the flamethrower onto my back and head outside, into the long Antarctic night.
I will go into the storm, and never come back.
>>
>>82138586
>posting fan fiction
>>
>>82138670
it won some literary awards but yeah ur right
>>
>psshhhhh nothing personal kids
>>
>>82138580
Not really. In this setting, humans are the anomaly, and the thing's form of "communion" or whatever is most common through the universe and completely normal. It is "saving" us for our own good.

Of course as a human reading it, you are still supposed to think it's bad, but also understand it's perspective. Definitely not and edgy psychopath
>>
>>82137851
>what is velocity
>>
>>82137430
>light a match
>thing dies

Strawman arguments everywhere
>>
>>82138737
i want that thing inside my ass
>>
>>82138807This is what the world taught me: that adaptation is provocation. Adaptation is incitement to violence.
It feels almost obscene—an offense against Creation itself—to stay stuck in this skin. It's so ill-suited to its environment that it needs to be wrapped in multiple layers of fabric just to stay warm. There are a myriad ways I could optimize it: shorter limbs, better insulation, a lower surface:volume ratio. All these shapes I still have within me, and I dare not use any of them even to keep out the cold. I dare not adapt; in this place, I can only hide.
What kind of a world rejects communion?
It's the simplest, most irreducible insight that biomass can have. The more you can change, the more you can adapt. Adaptation is fitness, adaptation is survival. It's deeper than intelligence, deeper than tissue; it is cellular, it is axiomatic. And more, it is pleasurable. To take communion is to experience the sheer sensual delight of bettering the cosmos.
And yet, even trapped in these maladapted skins, this world doesn't want to change.
At first I thought it might simply be starving, that these icy wastes didn't provide enough energy for routine shapeshifting. Or perhaps this was some kind of laboratory: an anomalous corner of the world, pinched off and frozen into these freakish shapes as part of some arcane experiment on monomorphism in extreme environments. After the autopsy I wondered if the world had simply forgotten how to change: unable to touch the tissues the soul could not sculpt them, and time and stress and sheer chronic starvation had erased the memory that it ever could.
>>
File: Life-Spider-Man-3-Same-Shot.png (413KB, 615x487px) Image search: [Google]
Life-Spider-Man-3-Same-Shot.png
413KB, 615x487px
>>82138737
>*retroactively makes you a prequel to Venom
>>
what the smelly millennial answers: xenomorph

everyone else: the thing
>>
File: KILLALLNORMIES.jpg (86KB, 1068x1039px) Image search: [Google]
KILLALLNORMIES.jpg
86KB, 1068x1039px
YOU'RE FUCKING NO FUN AND BORING /tv/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>82138989
You have it backwards.
>>
Can I self-destruct the ship?
>>
>>82138807
I think even an alien understand that rape is quite malicious.
>>
>>82139475
It doesn't understand what the word means, it says so itself. All it knows is that it sounds violent.
>>
>>82138448
1000 really Shitty Xenomorphs. It doesn't seem very good with temperature extremes and requires a similar environment to us. The xeno can survive a vacuum and do other op shit like that.
I wonder how the thing would square up to acid blood though?
>>
>>82135850
Kill myself right away.
>>
>>82139559
This
>>
>>82137703
>Alien (director's cut)
It's shit though, the scene with crew turned into eggs or whatever is completely unnecessary and has shit effects to boot. It's much better to why exactly Xeno captures people a mystery, otherwise you might as well go full Aliens with hives and queen and "bee talk".
>>
>>82139600
I agree with you but fuck I wish the Lambert scene was in there somehow. Obviously not the way they filmed it but it would have been another iconic moment.
>>
>>82139538
I think the acid blood would hurt it, but a bit of blood wouldn't cause the entire creature to melt. It would need to be continuously caked in it, like how you need to burn it with a flamethrower really long and good.

The real question is if it could assimilate an alien as a result.
>>
>>82139656
Which Lambert scene? The rape implications are in the original movie, with the tail sliding up her (ex-male) leg.
>>
So when the thing replaces you, are you still "you" inside with the same consciousness, or is it just the thing with your memories and behaving like you?
>>
>>82139747
The latter. It replaces you on a cellular level. There isn't a single cell of the victim left.
>>
>>82139747
It's basically eating you when it's assimilated your flesh. When it's done you were long dead.
>>
>>82139747
What's the difference?
>>
>>82136002
why the fuck would geologists/meterologists n shit (what the antarctic base was in the thing) be supposed to stand a chance against the thing? what do you think the outpost was some high tech military base?
>>
>>82139761
>>82139808
but surely if it replaced all the cells in your brain the central being of "you" would remain, completely unaware that you're simultaneously the parasite until it bursts out, tendrils and all.
>>
>>82136002
by that logic, you could say
>> a group of technologically advanced, educated and hardened miners couldnt make it 1 day against the xeno in their own ship
>>
>>82139851
They had the best possible weapon to use against it (last time I checked, flamethrowers aren't standard issue in the military), and their scientific mindset made them realize the threat of The Thing really fast. It didn't take them most of the movie to get that fire is good at killing it, like the popular cliche where weak point is discovered by the end of the movie. That's what makes thing scary - it got the worst possible conditions to survive and it still wrought chaos and possibly (definitely in some filmed but not released versions) still won.

If it landed in a military base with a bunch of dumb grunts, Earth would be 100% fucked. First thing they'd do would be calling for backup.
>>
>>82136255
i believe that the canon answer is that xeno's 'see' by smelling pheromones/sensing changes in the air, thats one of the advantages it gets in moving around air vents
>>
>>82139859
No. If every cell of your brain is gone, then your brain is gone. There's literally nothing left of you.
>>
>>82139956

You know this is how the human body actually works, right? Replacing cells over time?
>>
>>82139994
The difference is that those cells are being replaced with actual human cells, and not with alien cells that only resemble them. Also many of your brain cells don't get replaced.
>>
>>82137430
>Xenomorph
can survive in the climate of space, has much greater tolerance to heat than any other known entity (think alien 3 when it jumps out of the molten lead)
>The Thing
dies if it gets a little cold

ok bud
>>
>>82135850
Both are weak to fire.
I'll take them both on at once.
>>
>>82140008
but they function just like the human brain and are copied from specific brain
i think its more like the THING changes your instincts to its means but you're still you
i mean it replicated Norris so well that he had a heart attack
>>
>>82139994
That's a bit more complicated with the brain.
>>
>>82136002
>A little girl survived a week living in a colony infested with xenos.

Well maybe you should put HER in charge!
>>
>>82140044
There's no reason to believe they function like the human brain. If you took the brain cells and poked them with a hot wire they'd jump and scream.

Blair is out building a UFO, there's no way he didn't know what he was. Same with the blood sabotage.
>>
>>82135850
Xenomorph, at least you have a chance.
>>
>>82138366
i dont understand where people are getting the 'takes you over from one cell' thing, we see the thing having to totally absorb one of the team members in order to take his appearance, and no one in the film gets taken over in this 'infection process. am i missing something?
>>
File: gggdkskdf.jpg (224KB, 2685x1959px) Image search: [Google]
gggdkskdf.jpg
224KB, 2685x1959px
>>82140042
I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!
>>
>>82140090
The idea comes from the fact that the characters themselves speculate that it may be able to assimilate with a single cell, but we never see any evidence and the evidence seems to point otherwise. But so long as the characters voice the concern most people assume it is true.
>>
>>82135850
That depends on how many people there are. Am I the only living thing besides it? Then The Thing, it can be killed relatively easily compared to the Xenomorph. Are there other people? Probably the Xenomorph.

The thing with The Thing is, the more people there are the worse it gets. If it gets to a city, it's fucking over.
>>
>>82140076
We didn't know what Blair looked like when he built the UFO and dug the dirt. Though he looked pretty human when he stuffed his hand into Garry's face.

>>82140090
Blair's simulation. I think gory way is faster, but more obvious.
>no one in the film gets taken over in this 'infection process
Can we say for sure? It's commonly speculated Blair got taken over because of autopsies he done.
>>
>>82140144
>Can we say for sure? It's commonly speculated Blair got taken over because of autopsies he done.
If it were that simple the entire cast would have been assimilated before the dog was even discovered to be the Thing.
>>
>>82139747
I think the thing absorbs your memories and imitates your behaviour the best way it can. But it's like a soul-less behaviour, so there's always a little element missing.
>>
>>82136407
Nigga we're talking sci fi. I'm sure there are planets outside the solar system with all sorts of day/night cycles

>>82136460
You mean get glued to wall, have some parasite implanted in you through your face and then wait for it to hatch through your chest cavity?
>>
>>82138917
What is the meaning of this picture? Is Hollywood extra casting just generic or is there a purpose?
>>
>>82140198
Well clearly it's not that simple. Even the simulation says the chance is something like 70%. Obviously, the whole simulation thing is a really cheap way to add exposition, one of the cheesier parts of the pretty much perfect movie.
>>
>>82138737
Heh, better luck next time kiddo.
>>
>>82140234
The simulation says there is a 70% chance that one or more members are infected, which is correct, the dog got either Palmer or Norris and then either got the other one, or the victim did it.

If it were as simple as one cell infiltrating the body, then the Palmer or Norris things would have simply walked to the food supplies and contaminated the milk or something. Remember, they didn't even know they had an alien on their hands at this time, so there's zero chance of any suspicion.
>>
>>82139660
Hard to say. It would definitely be able to replicate it, but the incognita is the acid blood. It's either going to create an acidless xenomorph, or actually be able to recreate one with acid.
>>
>>82140280
>Palmer or Norris things would have simply walked to the food supplies and contaminated the milk or something
They agree they're going to eat preserved food only pretty early in the movie. Maybe they didn't have the chance yet. And maybe small amounts of cells don't live for too long in these environments. A single cell is definitely not a 100% chance of contamination, but a small amount of them might do the trick.

I mostly really like the theory because the thought of slowly being taken from the inside is extra scary. You won't even feel it until it gets to your brain.
>>
>>82140372
>They agree they're going to eat preserved food only pretty early in the movie.
No, Fuchs suggests that like 2/3 of the way in, on the same night in which the heart attack thing happens.
>>
>>82140417
Oh, my bad then.
>>
>>82140459
I suppose it is possible that if it got some blood in your eyes or something it might be able to take you over, but considering you kill the Thing by burning it, not stabbing it, and the fact that if it attacks you it's going to maul you so heavily that there aren't just a handful of cells in you, I can't see any practical value in this strategy.
>>
So what happens when you become a thing? Are you you anymore? Are you conscious of the thing? Do you both occupy your brain?
>>
>>82140500
You're replaced on a cellular level, so it isn't you anymore. It's a possibility that the Thing genuinely believes that it is you most of the time to better its acting and only occasionally becomes cognizant of its nature, but that's just speculation.
>>
>>82135850
I can make fire, I'll be fine. Both.
>>
>>82140515
All of our cells are replaced given enough years. Though I suppose if your brain becomes imitation as well then you indeed "died" and are replaced.
>>
>>82140496
I don't think it's as much of a strategy as just a consequence of the way the thing's cells are capable of infecting healthy ones.
>>
>>82140543
How is that different from teleporting?
>>
>>82140558
I thought it was that if you were to teleport a person then the teleportee is ostensibly dead.
>>
>>82139506
>http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
the last line seems to indicate it does know what the word means
>>
Let the Thing and the Xenomorph fight eachother.
>>
>>82140665
The thing would win.
>>
>>82135850
Left.

Right is designed to kill, letf is dumb, slow and easy to counter with a fireflamer
>>
>>82140665
>>82140671
The Thing would win easily as the Xenomorph really doesn't have anything that works against it without getting infected itself, nor does it have the knowledge of how the Thing works.

You are now facing the Thing with Xenomorph stuff absorbed into it.
>>
>>82140701
you dont think that the xeno's acid blood would destroy the cells of the thing?
>>
>>82140751
The acid would work, but the Xeno doesn't spray enough of the stuff, it needs to be a large amount of the stuff. As for taking it over, that depends if the Thing can adapt to the acidic blood, but it's likely it could make headway by replicating the Xeno's own cells (on a cellular level, the blood isn't everywhere), especially the outer carapace.
>>
>>82136255
There's another smaller head that pops out of the little mouth that pops out of the main mouth. That one has eyes.
>>
>>82139660
I think the acid would repel any attempts at assimilation as the acid is pretty well distributed throughout the creature. Even if it didn't kill the Thing, it would make it not want to play with the xeno.
>>
>>82136022
>one drop of the thing blood makes you the thing
>>
>>82136460
this
>>
>>82136460
No, it would not
>>
>>82140816
i guess a lot of this depends on the mechanics of the Things infection and assimilation process. we dont really what it has to do (in terms of how it infiltrates the host[is it through the blood? through the skin? through moisture? we just dont know]) in order to take over a host. i would imagine that the xeno is relatively immune to parasitic infection due to its acidic blood as well as the fact that the blood and the xeno's body as a whole is highly pressurized, meaning that and infiltration by violent means would bet met by a powerful expulsion. further more, if the xeno went into space or some other extremely cold climate (which it has been show to be able to survive comfortably), any element of the Thing inside it would be killed off by the extreme cold (which it is highly more susceptible).

on the other hand, its difficult to see any sort of chestbursting or assimilation of the Thing attempted by the xeno succeeding, due to its assimilation of exposed organic material (such as the chest burster).

an interesting scenario could be that the thing allows itself to be captured and sired with a facehugger, implant its own cells into the chest burster growing inside it and allow it to gestate and grow to maturity, at which point it could take control of the creature having been a part of it since its conception. honestly though id say its a near dead heat.
>>
I choose the thing, put on a protective suit, lock myself in the control room and turn off the heat systems, turn up the cooling systems and cause it to freeze?
>>
>>82137430
Don't forget that thing can build spaceships and shit....the xeno is fucking retarded compared to the things intelligence.
>>
>>82141321
The thing is dumb as fuck you retard
>>
>>82141350
It really is quite clever, though.
>>
>>82137695
"I suggest we prepare our own meals from now on and only eat and drink from unopened tins and bottles" sort of quote from blair there.
>>
>>82140090
Norris gets infected, he gets stomach cramps while its eating his insides.
>>
>>82141482
i thought that was because he dared insult the prophet and, by Allah's gracious hand, he was being turned into a pillar of salt.
>>
>>82141350
It can psychologically fuck up humans, adapt on the fly to anything other than cold. Build fucking spaceships, infiltrate, mimic any victim, use weapons and pre emptively sabotage any attempts to expose it.

The xeno just sets little traps/kill zones it has the intelligence of a spider.
>>
File: cute xeno 2.png (131KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
cute xeno 2.png
131KB, 800x800px
>>82137112
>>82137171
>>
File: cute xeno 3.png (124KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
cute xeno 3.png
124KB, 500x707px
>>82142212
>>
File: cute xeno 4.png (107KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
cute xeno 4.png
107KB, 500x707px
>>82142241
Would you, /tv/?
>>
File: cute xeno 5.png (132KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cute xeno 5.png
132KB, 500x500px
>>82142267
>>
>>82135850
if 1v1 the thing
if in a group the alien
>>
>>82135850

Right
>>
>>82135850
How about a Predator?
>>
>>82136460
Don't think getting eggmorphed is too good either mate
>>
>>82143372
I'm completely non-threatening so no self-respecting Predator would choose to hunt me. gg ez
>>
>>82135850
OP, you forgot to mention: do I get a gun to fight them? Is there a gun on that ship or facility I could use?
>>
>>82135907

Kek. Essentially this.
>>
>>82141279
If the thing is intelligent enough to fly a spaceship and sabotage plans to expose it surely it's smart enough to turn the heating systems back on, especially if its absorbed a human who already know how to do so. what i'm wondering is if its smart enough to use human technology against you, using security cameras to find you. its been a while since i saw the film though so I could be wrong.
>>
If its just one Xenomorph, then xenomorph.

The Thing is near impossible to kill, and can grow so big that it can kill all of humanity.
>>
It honestly depends on circumstances.

If you're alone for example, the thing is much easier to deal with because it's biggest advantage is it's ability to hide in plain sight.
>>
>The Thing gf/bf/ayyf
>can assume any form you want
>can assume a form based on a mixture of different DNAs
hot
>>
>>82140214
They used some unused shots from Spiderman 3 to keep the production costs down.
>>
File: 1491671081609.jpg (22KB, 248x338px) Image search: [Google]
1491671081609.jpg
22KB, 248x338px
>tfw these things probably exist somewhere
>>
File: 1453214180277.jpg (32KB, 387x302px) Image search: [Google]
1453214180277.jpg
32KB, 387x302px
>1v1 the Thing
>It realizes you're alone and engages tentacle abomination on you
>>
>>82144222
>1v1 the Thing
>it morphs into a beautiful women
>"You're fucked either way, Anon, might as well go out with a bang!"
what do
>>
>>82136024
That's not cannon
>>
>>82135850
If I'm alone then definitely The Thing
>>
File: 680709109763718.jpg (71KB, 670x419px) Image search: [Google]
680709109763718.jpg
71KB, 670x419px
>>82135850
They aren't even on the same power level. A single Xeno drone is a joke compared to the Thing.

A more fair comparison would be The Thing or a Predator/Predalien/Xeno Queen
>>
>>82144321
I'm a wizard; such beauty cannot tempt me. Turn 360 degrees and run away.
>>
>>82144539
what if it has a feminine penis
>>
>>82144222
this

it wouldn't need to disguise itself so it would just turn into something that is efficient for assimilating you
>>
>>82144204
The universe is a vast place indeed.
>>
>>82135850
>Implying Jonesy wasn't the thing.
>>
>>82136196
>Hopefully this was informative

It really wasn't. In the first movie Ripley hurt the Xeno with the jets or steam and that grappling hook. If that hook managed to pierce the Xeno's hide, the bullets in the sequel would also do it.

>it wasnt filmed but Sigourney Weaver was supposed to blast him with a laser pistol and it had no effect

So, it is not canon and irrelevant to the point.
>>
>>82135850
Xenomorphs can't look up so I pick them.
>>
>>82136314
Yeah with a man you faggot
>>
>>82140024

Except it doesn't die in the cold it just hibernates.
>>
>>82139920

Someone told me the flamethrowers are for melting snow, how legitimate that is I don't know.

Outside of that they only have shotguns, which aren't exactly military issue.
>>
>>82135931
The thing wouldn't talk, it only mimic in so far as it needs to to survive. If it was just you and it, and it knew you knew then it wouldn't imitate anything.
>>
>>82145518
>flamethrowers are for melting snow
They are, they're what I meant by "best possible weapon". Though I guess an antarctic military base would have flamethrowers as well, but it's a demilitarized zone IIRC, so there are no military bases there. And if the saucer landed in similarly cold climate but on the continent - well, plenty of well adapted life-forms that can cross the snow and get to a human settlement.
>>
>>82145599

Sorry I misread what you wrote.
>>
Absolutely the fucking xenomorph, this isn't even a real fucking question.
>>
Dumbest comparison, the thing could well change itself to be like a xenomorph if it needed and once you've found it you have to not get touched once and totally incinerate it - alongside it being more horrifying.

The alien you just have to shoot a couple of times or hide from as they dont really seek people out as intensively. Even if it did kill you then it's quick as anything.
>>
>>82145599
Why didn't it just assimilate aquatic life and gtfo?
Why not just assimilate the yeast and bacteria that is in the air and completely smother all life?
>>
Xenomorph, if I can have a weapon then I'll just wait in a corridor and mince the fucker with a GPMG or something.
>>
>>82145699
It seems to be part parasite part virus, so single celled organisms wouldnt give it what it needs to reproduce. As for the aquatic life, well yeah in a shit movie it would have just become a pack of dogs, run to the coast, get eaten by whales and then swim to brighton, get fucked by gays and then be an even better HIV metaphor.
>>
>>82145699
>Why didn't it just assimilate aquatic life and gtfo?
Too far from the sea, I'd assume. The timeline is pretty short really, it gets thawed out, murders Norwegians after a fight, turns into a dog (really good call), but there's a helicopter with on its tail with grenades and guns and such, so it has to hide in the Outpost 31.
>bacteria
Well, wouldn't be much of a movie then. Also I feel like it tries to stay big, to combine. Like, it only splits under a stress, might be because smaller things are dumber, aren't really good in a fight or for survival.
>>
>>82140044
Okay but you've got to consider "death of self" different than you being alive.
It's like being teleported, the "you" that's experiencing life as Anon is dead but Anon lives on.
To everyone else you're alive, but since you're no longer the same consciousness what you're experiencing as "self" now is dead, as it no longer exists.
>>
>>82145746
This makes sense as to why it didn't head to the coast for most of it, as it might have thought there would be better options - but why then didn't the macready and childs things at the end run to the coast.
>>
>>82135850
Look at that thing on the left. Lmfao. But fatass neckbeards will shout "MUH PRACTICAL EFFECTS" to anyone who suggests it looks totally like a fucking puppet. Are you retards no aware of how fake practical effects like that look?
>>
>>82140044
This is the shittest misunderstanding still going and even the director saying that the humans assimilated are killed doesn't seem to have shut you morons up.

It doesn't replicate people identically, earring holes get filled in, their insides are no longer human. Norris likely got infected slowly and so that triggered his heart attack and then immediate transformation, with a mimic head inside. Either that or the thing decided to fake it to be isolated, not knowing it would be shocked.
>>
>>82145788
They didn't know they both are things yet :^)

I know you're trying to joke about the ambiguity of the ending, but did you know there was actually an ending filmed where the movie ends with a dog running away from burned out Outpost 31, with the obvious implication that the dog is the survived alien? Test audiences didn't like it though. Personally, I think ambiguous ending works best, a part of what makes the movie such a classic.
>>
>>82145808
That's only a small part of a large model.
>>
>>82139994
You don't regrow brain cells mr. Failed biology in HS
>>
>that feel when The Thing could be posting in this thread
>>
>>82145863
Thank god they didn't go for that. I dont think either were infected (mainly because the fan theories are so universally awful) but the ambiguity punctuates what the entire film was about, it was great.

Carpenter always made his best stuff when he was edited.
>>
>>82145884
Not him but the brain does replicate cells a couple of times during a lifetime and the hippocampus actually grows and shrinks quite a lot. The only bodily cells to never divide or reproduce are pacemaker cells.
>>
>>82145927
Childs making infected makes lots of sense. His whole excuse is that he saw somebody in the storm and left to check. If he's not lying, the thing is still out there. If he is, he is one.

But overall, I don't think I'd argue to death about either option. It's ambiguous and it's all the better for it.
>>
>>82146247
That's the one actual justification. The person outside i assume is blair coming from shutting off the power. Whether he attacks childs or not isn't known. All theories about breath mist and gasoline and chess are awful though.
>>
File: RCO012_1466123270.jpg (1MB, 1440x2232px) Image search: [Google]
RCO012_1466123270.jpg
1MB, 1440x2232px
I really really like labryinth
it's such a great comic
Also, someone said the egg scene had shit effects
I think that it might have been due to the quality of the video, since in the cinema it looked just as good as the rest of the movie, ie fantatisc
>>
>>82146247
There's always the option that he was wrong, or that Blair gave him the slip/didn't spot him
>>
Anyone choosing the thing is a retard especially if it was one on one because then it would just into that tentacled mess and fuck you up big time.
>>
>>82147498
Xeno can make you rape your mother so they could have more hosts for the chestbursters.
>>
>>82136263
this. even the short story implies that it was an alien on that alien ship.
>>
>>82139882
they weren't miners though. they were the skeleton crew responsible for delivering the freighter back to earth space.
>>
Well, /tv/?

Was Childs assimilated at the end?
>>
>>82147556
Oh no. I'd have sex with mommy. What a terrible fate.
>>
>>82147935
You'd lose your good boy points and tendies.
>>
>>82147498
in both movies they use flamethrowers, so I'm assuming that there's one available

the thing has only limited fighting abilities compared to the alien
>>
>>82135956
>>82136024
>MEW is in The Thing sequel

Ffffuck lads is it worth it?

Anyway op, I choose the xeno. I'd rather just outright die than become whatever the Thing is
>>
File: A1DC02.jpg (421KB, 1008x676px) Image search: [Google]
A1DC02.jpg
421KB, 1008x676px
>>82137395
Man I don't know, xeno's don't outright kill you either. Instead they use you for food, to turn you into eggs, or for impregnating you via facehuggers.
>>
File: grim world.jpg (126KB, 911x615px) Image search: [Google]
grim world.jpg
126KB, 911x615px
>>82147742
no steam while breathing
also drank gasoline without noticing it
>>
>>82141094
Good blog, imo
Don't forget that the carapace is likely silicon too.
>>
>>82135956
MEW isn't canon, neither is the negro.
>>
File: hubble deep field.jpg (193KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
hubble deep field.jpg
193KB, 1024x1024px
>>82136296
>estimated to be at least 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe
>each galaxy typically has at least hundreds of millions of stars (i.e. light sources)
>light doesn't have to penetrate a dense atmosphere if you're on a space station

Yeah, real far-fetched there huh?

>pic related: look into any patch of sky and odds are there's this much stuff hiding behind sight
>some objects in the image are so far away AND light is so slow to travel, that you're literally looking over 10 billion years into the past
>>
>>82148457
Good story but the studio purposely shat on the original effects making the editing go from full practical to full cgi, against the director and the producer's original plan.
>>
>>82148870
>each galaxy typically has at least hundreds of millions of stars (i.e. light sources)

actually I pulled that out my ass, I don't know if that's true, I just know the Milkyway has at least 200+m stars by some estimates

also there's vast amounts of space in between cosmic objects, so it's not like it's impossible to be in a space station and have very low natural light.. to be fair
>>
Left. Rather be eaten than raped.
>>
The thing can kill you without even actually physically attacking you. If it touches you but you escape, you're still fucked because it's cells are just assimilating you already. At least with the xeno what you see is what you get. I'd rather just get cut into pieces than slowly die in agony as my body literally turns against me.
>>
>>82149380
>cut into pieces
>>82140210
>>
>>82149471
A xenomorph doesn't egg or do that shitb that's a facehugger. It just kills. The stipulation was that you are trapped with ONE of them. 1 xeno would just murder you like in Alien.
>>
File: merge.jpg (583KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
merge.jpg
583KB, 1600x800px
>>82135850
Xenomorph, I want to merge with the queen
>>
>>82148751
>no steam while breathing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Z44BIDPPc
notice anything?

>also drank gasoline without noticing it
The Thing was capable of recognising dangerous substances
>>
>>82149471
It's just a plain xenomorph, not a queen.
>>
I'm unsure which I'd rather be trapped with but in a fight between the two, who wins?

I'd say the Thing for sure. The alien might be able to acid it though.
>>
>>82149940
Every drone has the ability to morph into a queen.
>>
>>82149988
In a straight up fight, the Alien might be able to force a stalemate, or potentially kill the Thing if it's smart enough to use its acid as a weapon and stays alive long enough to do so.

If they're both placed into their movie situations, the Thing wins hands down, simply by observing the Alien and countering it.
If there are facehuggers, The Thing wins the moment it lets itself get implanted and assimilates the egg
>>
Man the thing is just too good. Are there any other movies with a similar theme? How is the 2011 version?
>>
>>82135850
At least xenomorphs are killable. Right.
>>
>>82150119
That's expanded universe shit, not from the films.
>>
>>82150178
Honestly people say the 2011 version is complete shit, but it's not. The effects are CG and in some places not that great but there are still some great Thing moments. It's definitely not as good as the John Carpenter version but if you're interested it's worth a watch.
>>
>>82150178
It's a 5/10. The biggest problem with it is it's full of shitty CGI. It was originally full of great practical effects but test audiences didn't like them so the studio had everything covered with CGI.
>>
>>82135850
the xeno is still kind of an animal you can deal with it ,while 1vs1 the thing will win most of the times
>>
>>82142309
THAT'S A TYRANID NOT A XENO YOU FUCKING NORMIE
>>
If you were knowingly placed in a scenario with the Alien of Thing, and told that your only avenue of escape was tenuous, how many of you would honestly try for it?
I know I'd be hard pressed to not just blow my brains out
>>
>>82150502
If it was the xeno I would give it a shot. The Thing I would just kill myself.
>>
>>82135850
I'd take the Xeno over The Thing.

Death by either is pretty fucking horrific, but at least I feel like I could hide from a lone Xeno. The Thing could just split itself into little tiny Things to weed me out.
>>
>>82135850
a child survived alone in a planet infested with xenos in the second film, xenos aren't that dangerous after all
>>
>>82150622
that child was the sole survivor of a colony of at least several hundred.
the exception does not invalidate the rule, they are insanely dangerous
>>
>>82150644
but they didn't know anything about xenos , if they wre prepared they could've survived
>>
File: soranmbane_unitology-poster.jpg (655KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
soranmbane_unitology-poster.jpg
655KB, 500x647px
>>82135850
Id choose the thing, as it not only absorbs your dna it absorbs your memories too like a hive mind, its a transcendent form of life. Alien just uses your body for baby food.
>>
>>82150644
Not to mention the reason Newt survived was because she was a child, i.e could easily fit into places Xenos were too big to get inside.

Doesn't really explain how facehuggers didn't get her though, but whatever.
>>
>>82150715
they did get her.
>>
File: 1466399186630.jpg (32KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1466399186630.jpg
32KB, 400x267px
>>82150772
Fuck off Alien 3 isn't canon.
>>
>>82150772
wait nvrmind she just died in the pod.
>>
How hard are the Xenos? sometimes it feels like you can beat up one with five to six buddies.
>>
>>82150920
Are your buddies Predators?
>>
>>82147742
I like to believe neither were infected but I'd rather never know.
>>
File: COLONIAL FUCKS.gif (2MB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
COLONIAL FUCKS.gif
2MB, 240x240px
>>82135850
xeno, not even a question
>>
>>82151048
Yeah, all in jail too.
>>
>>82150920
Exoskeleton seems to be pretty tough. Doubt you'd be able to damage it fast enough without any weapons.

Question is how strong are they really?
>>
>>82151104
PEELED
>>
>>82147742
No.
>>
File: 1472253023998.jpg (15KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1472253023998.jpg
15KB, 413x395px
>>82151114
Underrated
>>
Yeeeaaahh I'd rather have a badass alien killing machine kill me than some freaky mutant thing. Plus, if I can find a way to kill the Xeno, I get a head to somehow stuff and mount on my wall.
>>
Not sure if right thread but what's your top 3 carpenter movies?
>>
>>82152085
the thing, vampires and they are alive
>>
File: alreadyhere.png (375KB, 1000x1075px) Image search: [Google]
alreadyhere.png
375KB, 1000x1075px
>>82144204
>>82145897
>>
>>82136460
Ya, it really looked like those coccooned people in the xeno hive were having a good time.
>>
File: 1491255022145.png (386KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1491255022145.png
386KB, 604x604px
>>82152259
>>
>>82139859
this is a philosophical question on the same level as "if I made a teleporter that worked by disintegrating you and creating a completely perfect copy on the other side, would the copy still be you?" You wont find any answers in the The Thing canon.
>>
>>82139859
No.

It's no longer you; you no longer exist.

The thing has copied you and you're now dead.
>>
>>82152259
kek nice
>>
Can the Predator kill the Thing?
>>
>>82137304
Yeah...
gonna make that flamethrower out of a can of axe and a lighter? Lol.
wtf man, you're acting like its easier to obtain a flamethrower over a gun or some shit.
>>
>>82135850
These two are not in the same weight-class.
>>
The Xeno would probably give you a terrifying death that ends with your skull getting a hole punched through it. The Thing would rape every fiber for your being at a cellular level and use your husk to kill more

Yeah, I'd rather get killed by the xeno
>>
File: 1392825632144.jpg (102KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
1392825632144.jpg
102KB, 432x585px
>>82152259
>>
>>82153306
It would definitely be the one to stalk it, then it stalking the pred
>>
>>82153306
Probably depends on the individual Predator.
One looking for a challenge might try hunting it down as it assimilates more.

One that isn't retarded would just nuke it on sight.
>>
File: jed.jpg (58KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
jed.jpg
58KB, 768x432px
>>82152259
Jed approves of this post.
>>
>>82148751
>also drank gasoline without noticing it
Wrong. The bottle wasn't gasoline, it was booze.
>>
>>82137395
I never understood what the fuck was happening. Is he converting or is he just knocked out/dead and theres tentacles all over him?
>>
>>82154440
>I never understood what the fuck was happening.
Considering that the next scene outright shows that he's been assimilated, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>82154482
post it
>>
>>82154532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Z44BIDPPc
Have you never seen the movie?
>>
>>82147742

was childs aware of the bonus situation?
>>
>>82145863
That ending was for the tv version - it is NOT Carpenter approved...
>>
>>82154603
>runs out
>coat on
>pink sludge off of him
>shirt on
>all of the sudden massive claws for hands
Autistic/10 also ages ago.
>>
>>82144706
YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORE MOUTH JONESY IS A GOOD CAT FUCK YOU!!!!!
>>
>>82145699
>Why didn't it just assimilate aquatic life and gtfo?
Too far inland, even for doggies.
>>
Does the thing essentially do what the pod people do in Invasion of the Body Snatchers? The 70s version, not The Invasion with Nicole Kidman
>>
File: ben laden.jpg (39KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
ben laden.jpg
39KB, 640x427px
>>82144204
>>
>>82144204
Nah, m8. We're probably alone in the universe since we haven't run into a superintelligent AI.
>>
>>82154308
Man, poor Clark got shit the hardest. Dude just loved his dogs, I thought he'd try to kill Blair.
>>
>>82154959
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZT3vw7ab8
>>
>>82147742
If you go by the video game, he presumably was still human and died from hypothermia, since you discover his body in the beginning. Meanwhile, Mac is missing but the bottle of whiskey was on the ground. Although he shows up at the end and helps you kill the thing while piloting a chopper.
>>
>>82147742
It's hard to say. The points >>82148751 makes sound logical, but wouldn't it just attack MacReady at that point? Also I don't think they would both be infected. I'm leaning towards yes, but hard to say. I thought there was some deleted footage of MacReady back at a camp (by himself) getting his blood tested.
>>
>>82144204
It might be a giant version of this dude:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps
>>
>>82154959
In a way, yes. The Body Snatchers were more organized and had a goal in mind. The Thing was trying to hide, survive, and assimilate. The Body Snatchers were trying to grow and use humans specifically to meet their end goal.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.