[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are aliens so lazy in media? All of them are fucking humanoids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

File: 1493098629591.jpg (44KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
1493098629591.jpg
44KB, 650x365px
Why are aliens so lazy in media? All of them are fucking humanoids with a bit of green or blue thrown in.
What are some series with REAL aliens?
>>
2001: A Space Odyssey
>>
For the most part if make them too inhuman, you begin to identify them as animals and can't have that intellectual recognition of a being matching or surpassing our own selves
>>
>>82022586
>What are some series with REAL aliens?

None, as we don't know if they even exist much less what they look like
>>
Tons of media with humanoid aliens also have weird non-humanoid species.

The humanoid aliens are just the most prominent because it's easier to characterize a guy with green skin than an amorphous blob of tentacles and eyeballs in a relatable manner.
>>
>>82022586
district 9: a fucking shrimp edition
>>
>>82022620
shut the fuck up you stupid numale libcuck
>>
>>82022940
This
>>
>>82022701
>Hey the aliens may just be blue humans but look at that fat, short blob of a species that only shows up in some lore passages!
And that's lazy and pathetic.
>>
>>82022940
>>82022961
Based right wing /tv/
>>
>>82022940
Lol wtf you on about? I'm not a numale and I hate liberals with a fucking passion. What was "liberal" about what I said??
>>
>>82023258
>P-Please I love Trump PLEASE accept me!
Stop being so embarassing
>>
>>82023272
This
>>
>>82023272
that
>>
>>82022586
Star Wars and the whole OT had amazing alien designs that broke with the stupid green humanoid aliens with big black eyes thing.
In the first movie alone you have all those weird things at the cantina, Chewbacca, Jawas, Tusken Raiders, Banthas and so on. Later on we got Yoda, Ugnaughts, Ewoks and my personal favorite Jabba the Hutt. As much as I hate the prequels there were some cool alien designs there too.
The aliens in Star Wars are so diverse and creative, it's part of why the universe feels so real.
>>
Because it's lazy and easier to write, you answered your own question. If you're not writing some big sci-fi/fantasy epic there's no reason to go all autismo in creating an entire alien culture and civilization based on their unique biology. You just make them "like humans but different".
>>
>>82023272
I'd still love to know what was liberal about >>82022620

BTW, I'd beat the fuck out of you if you ever said something like that to my face you fucking pussy
>>
>>82023568
>BTW, I'd beat the fuck out of you if you ever said something like that to my face you fucking pussy
Damn scary numale, watch out guys he's with her!
>>
>>82022586
Rick and Memey had that talking cloud thing
>>
>>82023587
Consider yourself very lucky my friend
>>
>>82022586
A Day Without a Mexican.
>>
>>82023587
kek
>>
File: Fart.jpg (92KB, 682x528px) Image search: [Google]
Fart.jpg
92KB, 682x528px
You didn't even have to switch shows for an example, OP, you lazy sack of doodoo.
>>
>>82023568
>When the libcuck gets angsty
>>
>>82023258
>trying this hard
How old are you, mate?
>>
File: wyhafayhslrab.jpg (18KB, 493x277px) Image search: [Google]
wyhafayhslrab.jpg
18KB, 493x277px
Why do aliens have to be either some technologically advanced, most times evil, faceless empire spanning the cosmos, or some beings/entity so evolved that they exist outside the fourth dimension or something?

Are there any movies where humans are the most advanced life? Where we're the vast empire and happen upon a group of alien explorers in space or where we decide to conquer a planet just because we need its resources. Also do you guys think it's possible that we really are the most advanced civilisation in the universe so far?
>>
>>82023568
>i-i could beat you up!
lmao what are you doing
>>
>>82026349
too many questions
>>
>>82023924
Everyone ignoring this to maintain the narrative
This place is really becoming reddit
>>
>>82022620
Farscape
>>
"G*D ISN'T *buuuurp* REAL MORTY"
>>
File: 191498.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
191498.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>82026349
>Why do aliens have to be either some technologically advanced, most times evil, faceless empire spanning the cosmos
they don't, and they aren't.

>or some beings/entity so evolved that they exist outside the fourth dimension or something?
because technologically advanced intergalactic species are assumed to be pretty smart

>Are there any movies where humans are the most advanced life?
yes. there are several.

>Where we're the vast empire and happen upon a group of alien explorers in space or where we decide to conquer a planet just because we need its resources.
yes, literally the highest grossing film of all time, Avatar, is about that concept

>Also do you guys think it's possible that we really are the most advanced civilisation in the universe so far?
yes it is possible but it isn't likely
>>
>>82026349
>trying to start a discussion in a R+M thread
>>
>>82022586
>Species 8472
>Xindi Insectoids
>Xindi Aquatics
>Tin Man
>Crystalline Entity
>Space Amoeba
>The Companion
>V'Ger
>Founders

Star Trek has had a few over the years that aren't green humanoids, those are just off the top of my head.
>>
>>82026349
ET
Interstellar
>>
Why do retards think that carbon based aliens wouldn't form into a humanoid form?

humanoid type forms are the most efficient and evolutionary advantagous
>>
>>82023587
>>82024239
Honestly pal, you're lucky you'll never come across me, I'd beat your ass for disrespecting me like this.
>>
If my species had arms i would cut your throat i wouldnt even need my wasttenticle>>82026719
>>
>>82026707
>yet they can't even stop themselves from becoming suicidally decadent
>>
>>82022586
Arrival
>>
Europa Report
>>
>>82023258
nice try
>>
>>82022586
Unfortunately Babylon 5 will be forgotten and thrown to the wayside very soon since the dumb ass creator doesn't believe in licensing it to streaming services

Almost no one remembers the show
>>
>>82022620
they would probably look really close to humans due to convergent evolution. Assuming our is the perfect form for a sentient, intellectual species
>>
>>82022586
In the very show you're posting. Jesus.
>>
>>82022607

That's a really good example. I always thought "the mysterons" from captain scarlet were scary because how outside of our universe they seemed
>>
>>82027799
Babylon 5 has quite a lot of rubber forehead alien, but honest the main reason they're so common in live action Sci-fi is due to buget constraints.
>>
Szechuan loving aliens xd
>>
>>82022586
Men in Black
>>
>>82026349
Most of the when hoomans are shown to be "more advanced" it's because the species the characters come across are shown to be so advanced that they exist for the sake of the species and are far more efficient at existing than we are.
>>
>>82028940
true, you aren't going to get any sci-fi with aliens that aren't rubber foreheads because of budget, except maybe TOS which couldn't even afford that much and just used blackface or spray paint or Halloween masks
>>
>>82022620
>>82023258
>>82023568

This reads like an alien pretending to be a human to study us.
>>
>>82029943
NO!
>>
>>82026349

It doesn't work as a premise.
>>
>>82023258
>says the most liberal numale bullshit possible
>"I'm not a numale and I hate liberals"
Really makes you think
>>
>>82026349
... you mean Avatar, the highest grossing movie of all time?
>>
>>82028829
Did they even have a physical form? They were always depicted through Black, but I'm not sure if we ever got to see them beyond glowing lights, and booming voices.
>>
>>82026719
This is what a feminist looks like.
>>
>>82022731
it's pronounced "fookin prawn"
>>
>>82022967

Thats what your mom tells her friends about you
>>
>>82026349
/lit/ discusses this pretty much daily
>>
>>82026349
because, realistically, even in sci-fi logic, we are FAR away from finding intelligent life planet-wise, so they need to be able to communicate through space, or capable of interstellar travel, and if they have reached that point, then seeing as the universe is a gabillion years old, they are most likely more advanced than us, or already extinct due to a supernova or some shit.

there are several articles about it, but it basically boiles down to the fact that if aliens are capable of contacting us then the probability of them being millions of years ahead of us technology-wise is much more likely than they being on par with us or even less advanced than us, and if they are less advanced than us then we are the ones that need to find them, and man the universe is just fucking big dude
>>
I'm sure someone already said it but the point of Aliens typically isn't to actually be alien.
They're usually a metaphor for some aspect of humanity. Alien design is secondary to that goal, if they were to make them truly alien it'd distract from that.
Cheap star Trek aliens weren't simply a budgetary decision.
>>
>>82022940
this
>>
>>82022586
>Why are aliens so lazy in media?
It's mostly for practical reasons depending on the specific medium they appear in.

>All of them are fucking humanoids with a bit of green or blue thrown in.
Again, practical reasons.
If it's a movie/tv show, it's easier and more convenient to paint an actor orange and give him some tentacles in his head, or paint someone blue and give them pointy ears. Saves money and hours on the make-up on room. You can't honestly go the full mile and make some quadruple monstrosity that's not based on any earth creature except if it's a horror film.

For animations, you could have more freedom to do it, but animation in general is based on a template for humans, animals, etc... So it's easier than making up an entire new skeleton and shit.

Comic book writers are indeed lazy, but the comics do have to be written in a month.

>What are some series with REAL aliens?
There's gotta be some books with "REAL" aliens, besides Lovecraft which even then it's just giant squids with wings
>>
>>82026925
>Aliens are recolored humans, insects or squids

Arrival aliens are just big squids, the only flaw of this movie.
>>
File: 1443729104687.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1443729104687.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
ayy Imao
>>
As it's already been said, convergent evolution means aliens will probably look very close to humans.
>>
>>82023924
Huh even futurama did the smart gas fart
>>
>>82022940
Is /tv/ just /pol/ now?
>>
Since 100% of species we're aware with any semblance of advanced civilization have been bi-pedal humanoids it's statistically very like that the majority of aliens we'll eventually meet will be bi-pedal humanoids as well.
>>
There's a few creative aliens in Rick and Morty, Space Dandy had some good stuff (His ex-girlfriend was a hypercube)
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.