[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the key to good horror filmmaking? What makes a movie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

What's the key to good horror filmmaking? What makes a movie truly terrifying?
>>
>>81975389
Create a brooding atmosphere of dread and hopelessness. Be selective with your jump scares and gore, don't rely on them.
>>
>>81975571
>Create a brooding atmosphere of dread and hopelessness.
That sounds wrong, source?
>>
Reticence.
>>
can somanon tell me what movie is that?
>>
>>81975985
House (1977)
>>
>>81976200
Truly the greatest horror kino ever made.

If you haven't seen it watch it immediately.
>>
>>81976200
shit I've watched it already, it's one of my favorite movies. Why didn't I recognize the pic, is it some kind of disease?
>>
>>81976435
Yes, dementia.
>>
>>81975389
jump scares and feminism
>>
Build-up.
>>
>>81975389

First is understanding the difference between horror and terror, dumbfuck.
>>
>>81979252

Oh stop
>>
>>81979252
please educate me
>>
Generally the less you know about the "scary" thing the better.
Look at movies like the Friday the 13th or Halloween series. Nobody would ever claim those to be horrifying anymore because there is so much backstory and lore behind the characters, as well as subsequent sequels doing some ludicrous things to keep them alive.
Its just stupid.
To use another John Carpetner film as an example of good horror, look at The Thing. You know fuckall about it and yet nobody cares because thats what makes it scary.
>>
>>81975389
Stopping before it becomes a retarded, shitty movie. A few offenders:
The Babadook
The Witch
The Strangers
Midnight Meat Train

Had The Babadook ended with the mother killing the kid and thinking it was the Babadook all along (instead of that shitfuckingly retarded ending it had) it would have been at least 8/10 instead of shit/10.
Had The Witch ended with that family thinking that their shit luck was because their oldest daughter was a witch, and not because the father was an overly-proud shithead, instead of that shitty ending it would have been at least 9/10. Midnight Meat Train is one of the worst though, it had the perfect atmosphere but the end was just so bad.
The biggest problem with the genre is that nobody knows how to end a horror movie anymore. It Follows did it right, but thats about the only one in recent times that I can think of.
>>
>>81979723
>Horror
scary atmosphere, frightening imagery, instills a lasting dread, utilizes tension. Ultimately, horror is a scare that stays with you long after the moment is gone
>Terror
Frightening imagery, loud sudden noises, constant cycle of tension and release. Terror is fear too, though probably a more intense fear than what horror gives you, ultimately terror is shallow because it lasts only as long as the moment.

Terror usually relies on jump scares which are absolutely ruining modern horror. Not saying jump scares should stop, some of the greatest horror films of all time utilize them, but thats because they use them right.
>>
>>81980120
I should clarify what I meant with my comments about The Witch.
If the ending was without all the paranormal bullshit which was missing from the rest of the movie , and instead it was the family falsely accusing the oldest daughter of witchcraft, it would have been infinity more disturbing and creepy.
>>
>>81980120
never become a screenwriter. The Witch had a perfect ending. You clearly missed the entire point of the film if you think it was better that they though Thomasin was a witch instead of the revelation that the fathers arrogance led them to a metaphorical hell, allowing the Devil to take advantage.
>>
>>81980211
That is trite as fuck my nigger.
It should have been about how the father (a bloody good outside sales representative) refused to take responsibility for his own shortcomings (which was motif throughout the film), instead the daughter levitated with a bunch of fat old naked bitches out of spite.
Fuck that shit.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.