[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone else see this? Was it just my theatre or was the color

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (278KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
278KB, 1920x1080px
Did anyone else see this? Was it just my theatre or was the color grading absolutely awful? Everything seemed piss yellow or brown and WAY too dark.
>>
>>81972257

>Everything seemed piss yellow or brown and WAY too dark.

BvS is still in theaters?
>>
I liked how dark it was, it seemed to be going for a Gordon Willis kind of look. But I totally agree, the 90's color-grading is honestly disgusting. That kind of extreme grading always pulls me out of films because it NEVER looks real.
>>
File: lost city of z.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
lost city of z.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>81972305

BvS is at the level where it can still be considered an artistic decision. I was literally straining my eyes the entire movie because of the overall darkness of the movie. To make it worse the blacks were completely crushed.

Low Brightness+High Contrast+Brown Filter= Everything looks like and old photograph and not in a good way

>>81972579

In my theatre me and my friends were straining our eyes to see and the trailers seem the same way.

https://youtu.be/OhaXFwlJmgo?t=78

Look at the portrait behind him in the trailer. You can only see the head of the figure because everything else has been completely squashed.

Its like the visual version of brickwall limiting.
>>
>>81972257
I thought it was intentional and it didn't bother me... made it seem more authentic to a time when electricity was barely anywhere in the civilized. And it also made the jungle feel appropriately thick & hazy.

I really enjoyed this film, Gray really knocked it out of the park. Hunnam impressed me, too.
>>
>>81972894
*in the civilized world
>>
Yeah, a little too dark in my theater
>>
>>81972894

It could've done without the 2nd expedition/Mr. Murray subplot/WW1.
>>
>>81973142
I disagree man. Seeing his whole life, not just his jungle exploration, made the movie seem like the Iliad or Odyssey... You understood that, even after all those years, his heart was still in the Amazon.
>>
>>81972894
>>81973385
Agreed that the movie was really good, it reminded me of a David Lean film, but Gray did his own thing with it. He's ridiculously underrated
>>
>>81973385

I came into it knowing nothing about it so I expected 90% of the movie to take place in the amazon once they start the first expedition. It really killed the momentum every time something would suddenly prevent him from finding the city.

Maybe if I came into it knowing it would be more about his life it would have felt more natural.
>>
>>81972257
Man, if this was a PTA film it would be the best. He knows how to take things from already existing material like old books and films but string it all together with genuine characters.
>>
>>81973873
I didn't know anything about the movie going in either, but as soon as they found the head of the river (waterfall) and he went back to England only like 30 minutes into the movie, I could tell it was going to be a slow burn epic, and I was personally on board.
>>
File: i believe in america.jpg (3KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
i believe in america.jpg
3KB, 275x183px
>>81972768
Looks fine to me. The portrait scene you're talking about was emulating natural lighting in an enclosed space. The darkest/highest contrast was the scene at the beginning, and that reminded me of Gordon Willis' work.

>BvS is at the level where it can still be considered an artistic decision.
Capeshit go.
>>
>>81974315

Fuck capeshit

There's a range where, ugly as it may be, you can justify the color grading as long as it doesn't interfere with actually being able to understand what it is you're looking at. I started this thread because this movie was way past that range making it so hard to watch that I assumed it must have been a problem with my theaters projectors.
>>
>>81974518
Idk anon, if you say the trailer looks the same as the movie it looks fine to my eyes.
>>
>>81972257
I have the book this was based on. Is it any good?
>>
>>81972768
its so yellow
>>
>>81972257
you were probably seeing it in a theatre that shows 3d movies too. those projectors are always underlit.
>>
>>81972257

It is amazing to me that a movie this good actually received a mainstream release.

A movie that is this much of a slow burn, that is so meticulously well-crafted, and so bursting with ideas and emotion, is actually playing in multiplexes beside trash like Boss Baby and capeshit.

It's really kind of miraculous.
>>
>>81972257
same and it looked weirdly almost blurry/out of focus

it gelt like he barely focused the camera on anything in the jungle so you barely get a look around or feel any wonder at any nature
>>
everyone just watch sunset song (it's on netflix), it does more with the natural world, the time period, and personal/spiritual journey over a life time than Z
>>
>>81976888

Why would you assume that you are supposed to feel wonder at the nature?
>>
>>81972257
I'm glad Apocalypse Now: A Young Adult Novel
is bombing
>>
>>81977030
we're watching him explore the jungle, we the audience get to explore nothing along with him because it's a muddy mess of grey-brown-green
>>
>>81977022

Sunset Song, and Davies in general, are both very great. I don't really see the comparison though, the films are almost nothing alike thematically.

>>81977039

It's set in a jungle, therefore it is Apocalypse Now? Also AN is a movie that is beloved by very young people generally.
>>
>>81977083

We are supposed to be able to detach ourselves from his environment so that we can better understand that his obsessiveness is ultimately unhealthy. We see the wreckage he leaves behind, that should be our focus, the lives of his family that he destroys. Were the jungle depicted as the compelling, amazing place that he sees it as the movie's ideas and emotional impact would suffer.
>>
>>81977156
idk, because sometimes Gray does set up these shots of beauty- I don't think he set out to make the jungle seem obscured from the audience

also question for the thread: did you see him as being driven mad/at least a little out of his mind by obsession? halfway through the movie I realized I 'should' be getting that, but Hunnam gives nothing with his eyes and seemed to be acting pretty reasonably while in the jungle so I couldn't tell

>>81977094
time period, told over a period of years like this movie, wwi, connection and obsession/love with the land, thwarted dreams and suffering but ultimately ending on notes of grace and hope
>>
>>81977362

I think that the nature of his obsession is a little different from that of many other movies that tread similar ground. For one thing he is pushed into his task, it isn't one that he takes upon himself or seeks out. He feels obligated to fulfill it because of his family history but I think the focus is on the fact that he's assigned it by someone else.

I think it is outside the bounds of the traditional movie about obsession. That being said, I do believe we are supposed to feel him losing control over what should be seen as priorities. One of the great tragedies of the movie is that in trying to cleanse himself of the negative influence over his father's legacy, in other words, the destructive impact of his own family, he ends up destroying the family he created with his wife.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.