[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just saw this. felt pretty lukewarm about it in general, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

just saw this. felt pretty lukewarm about it in general, but there were some things that stuck out to me as a longtime fan of the OT and i had some thoughts i wanted to share.

PROS:
>mads mikkelson gave a great performance as usual. his character is without a doubt the standout performance of this movie. without him the movie would have no emotional impact whatsoever. he carries the film even with his sparse dialogue.
>i didn't mind the CGI tarkin or leia. they looked kinda funny but worked just fine as stand-ins.

CONS:
>they pretty much got vader all wrong. his suit was off. something about the proportions just wasn't accurate to the originals. it looked like a cheap halloween costume or like a cosplay. i don't understand why they wouldn't just replicate one of the original suits. also, his voice was totally off. didn't sound anything like the intimidating, aggressive vader of ANH or the more methodical vader from ESB. some of the things he said just stood out immediately as things vader would never say, either the statements themselves or the way they were worded. i guess the intonation and speech pattern was too unlike the original character. whatever it was, it stuck out like a sore thumb.
>character development was spotty and inconsistent in a lot of cases. i had a hard time determining if this was due to shoddy writing, or the film being heavily edited. my guess is a combination of the two. a lot of character developments seem to come out of left field with no setup and payoff at all. i felt like i actually would have liked some of these characters if they had spent a little more time with them and made them a little more consistent.
>the constant subtitling of location names like its an early 90s spy action movie. whoever decided this was a good idea to put this in the movie should be fired. completely unnecessary as no sane person gives a shit and it ruins what is otherwise some pretty decent atmosphere for the first 20 minutes of the film.
>no kyle katarn
>>
tl;dr

its a shitty children's film thats design to sell toys

/thread
>>
>>81937475
Nice blog, faggot
>>
>>81938207
>>81938211
>OP takes time to write a quality post asking to discuss a movie
>"TOO LONG DIDNT READ"
>"NICE BLOG FAGGOT"

This is why reddit will always be better than this place.
>>
>>81938211

thanks for bumping my thread faggot
>>
>>81938335
So why don't you go back, faggot.
>>
>>81937475
>>mads mikkelson gave a great performance as usual

Stopped reading there, go back to /v/.
>>
File: jenny autism.png (1MB, 1273x686px) Image search: [Google]
jenny autism.png
1MB, 1273x686px
>>81938335
Maybe you should go back, anonpai.
>>
>>81938592

>liking an actor means you're from /v/

really took my noggin for a joggin
>>
>>81938335
not only do you shamelessly out yourself, but you think you are in the right too? ho lee fuk
>>
>>81937475
Mads' scenes are so good, the hologram is so sweet, and yeah the Vader suit always bugged me, but I can't figure out what it is.
>>
>>81939449

it looks too fat. it looks like vader has an eating disorder. and the eye lenses were too red
>>
Vader looks different for the same same reason C3P0s arm was red and the same reason 99% of characters look different: licensing agreements. However filmmakers will just straight up lie about it to save face that they'd rather pinch a few pennies than pay for the full rights. It's not a coincidence that Deadpool is one of the few recent characters who looks 100% exactly the same. The creator Rob Liefeld caused shit to hit the fan with Marvel about 25 years ago and half their team left to the new company Image. Despite Marvel owning the character they do not own the costume. That ownership is almost always in the majority control of the original artist who designed it. That's why everyone including GI Joe looks so different. However for example Superman and Batman often look the same because the licensing issues of those two characters were dealt with before most of us were born.
>>
>>81937475

That damn beaner Diego Luna was probably the worst actor in the movie, he should definitely stick to telenovelas. He also looked malnurished and with aids
>>
>>81941195

i did not know this was a thing
>>
>>81938707
mads is literally a meme actor
>>
>>81943033

he's /ourguy/
>>
>>81937475
fuck off autist
>>
Vaders suit looks "off" because they made the suit vader wore in the first movie ya dummies

yeah it looks kinda shit and has weird buttons and red eyes
>>
This thread was on /b/ an hour or two ago wadn't it?
>>
Why did they bother to have this character show up? He had literally nothing to do.
>>
>>81942912
Yep, Deadpool was just further verification of what I've known for awhile. It's too much of a coincidence. These artists have seen jack shit their whole lives so they want their piece of the pie but the studios won't have it. They figure not enough people are familiar with the original characters like Marvel or won't notice or care enough about very minor differences like Vader. Apparently that's all the loophole they need. "Oh you won't give us the rights? Fuck you we'll just turn his arm red." I think it can be a case by case basis for example there was already a precedent with c3po of other robots that looked exactly like him but a different color.
>>
>>81943295
No the color of his neck plate is a different shade. That's the biggest difference and really stood out.
>>
>>81941195
This is bullshit
>>81943295
This is truth
>>
>>81943809
Then of course there are these people who would never believe their beloved stars would literally live out a lie to their adoring fans.
>>
>>81943865
>muh costume rights
Any art someone makes for a company belongs to the company alone, everything you said in that post was bullshit.
>>
>>81943915
You are literally wrong. This issue goes all the way back to Dolf Lungren in the Punisher. Before that Superman and Batman were mostly the only game in town and like I said those were death with long ago. The company owns everything except the original character design right down to the face like the Hulk and the Thing. Those two faces were icons of Marvel for 50 years especially the Thing. Its a lie kid sorry.
>>
>>81943991
Fucking autocorrect

Dealt with
>>
>>81943915
Also it's for the specific use which you and a lot of people may be confusing. To make a live action Hollywood movie they apparently have to deal with the original artist.
>>
>they pretty much got vader all wrong. his suit was off.

"Off" being the literal word there because Vader's outfit has electronics on it along the front, you know, bright blinking fucking lights and shit that are part of the respiratory system. When he comes onto that Rebel ship and the hallway goes totally dark I knew they would have those circuits turned off as in can't see the lights so it would emphasize the SCUBA breathing sound and the Lightsaber when it was activated and I get that, but it's a point of contention for me and it wasn't accurate so it ruined the moment.

But I did enjoy the fact that this Vader went balls to the wall fuck-you-and-die-feel-my-Force in that hallway, the character has never ever been able to just go all out on enemies like that and I did appreciate how it was done, it was awesome as fuck in that respect.

>the one true Sith Lord allowed to unleash his Dark Side powers without restraint
>mere puppets, nothing but puppets, all having their strings cut

The guy on the ceiling getting sliced in half was a nice touch too.
>>
mads and ben mendelsohn both wasted on this shit
>>
>>81944397
Which was to his detriment that I believe was the intention of the film. If Vader had not wasted his time on the very last guy to crush his throat then he could have gotten the disc. But Vader couldn't resist after wading through everyone else relatively speaking. He wanted to savor one kill before it was over.
>>
>>81937475
I think part of the issue is the way they framed the shots with vader and lighted them along with the actor's direction. The only good scene where it legit looked like vader was in the hallway because of the dark lighting and complete lack of dialogue.
Its actually amazing that David Prowse did an amazing job physically conveying emotions and feelings in the body language of vader so expressively in the OT as well as the lighting and framing of the shots helping as well.

When Vader talks to Krennic in R1 its not just the suit being off or the voice but its massively the body language that is off making it feel like a piss poor imitation. The fact the helmet is so loose and oversized makes it look extra shitty and the character appears to be less animated and more like someone just saying lines while not moving thier head and being completely motionless.
>>
>>81940779
>>81939449
its cause it looks like his neck/head are retracted into the torso part of his suit sorta like a turtle.
>>
>>81945396
You're remembering it incorrectly and its actually the exact opposite but yeah it's definitely the neck.
>>
PROS:

>Krennic
>Diego Luna
>Jyn in that black Imperial uniform with the visor flipped up so you just see her eyes
>K-2SO had some decent lines
>Donnie Yen
>Vader slaughter scene
>Bringing back the Hammerhead/Endar Spire (I know it was just to sell toys and not have to do any work but it was cool either way)
>The space battle in general was great
>Scarif was cool
>Single reactor Death Star shots
>Ponda and Evazan

CONS:
>Slow to start
>Nobody knew who Saw Gerrera was unless they watched the TV show
>The tentacle monster scene, it just felt out of place
>Everyone dies at the same time
>Rook dies in the shittiest way
>The Rebel leaders were cucks except for the admiral that went to Scarif
>Eadu was just Kamino with land, most boring part of the movie
>Mads was barely in it

I thought it was good, at least better than TFA.
>>
>>81946025
>(I know it was just to sell toys and not have to do any work but it was cool either way)
There aren't any toys of the corvette m8
>>
>>81946025
But the Hammerhead was arguably the most important part of the movie. They would have failed without it. Not just any ship could have done that. It's called Hammerhead for a reason.
>>
>>81946025
>just kamino with land

alright everyone every planet with rain is now some form of kamino, not like rain exists anywhere else
>>
>>81938211
Don't be a fucking spic.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.