[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This movie was pretty fucked up. How much of that disgustingly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: The Void.jpg (62KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The Void.jpg
62KB, 720x1080px
This movie was pretty fucked up.
How much of that disgustingly gory shit was CGI, and how much was practical effects?
>>
File: Void-3.jpg (48KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
Void-3.jpg
48KB, 540x720px
Has anyone seen it? It came out in 2016. It's really good. Everything seemed to be spinning out of control more and more and the stakes just kept amping up. Reminded me of classic horror movies like The Thing and specifically Hellraiser, with even some cosmic horror. It felt really claustrophobic and freaky with the effects, and was surprisingly not that predictable. Probably the best horror movie I've seen in like 2 years

that's my quick review, having just watched it a moment ago
>>
>>81902811
most of it looked practical to me. i dont think they had the budget for a lot of CGI

this was pretty disappointing for me. the few seconds of cosmic imagery made me think there would be a big lovecraft finale. but no, the film ends right at the interesting part.
>>
>>81903241
I thought the only bad part of the movie was the way they chose to end it. It was just way too abrupt for what they had been building up to.
everything else was seriously great for a horror movie
>>
Weak acting that asian bitch couldn't deliver a line to save her life and weak ending, but overall a really good Carpenter-like lowbudget movie.
>>
I thought it was really good. The monster costumes were great as were some of the practical effect. The only thing that confused me a bit was people returning from the dead.

Do souls of the dead become monster because they exited from the Void or was it just crazy space magic and they weren't the original person?
>>
>>81903241
>big Lovecraft finale
That's not how cosmic horror works. It would be impossible to put that kind of horror into film or even writing if it were as terrifying as its reputed to be, so they don't even try. It's mostly just left to the imagination when it's done right
>>
>>81903365
I think it's just like that for reasons we cannot comprehend or some similar lovecraftian bullshit. One of the best things about cosmic horror (if you let yourself enjoy it) is that you don't have to think about any of that shit because, basically, "the great ones / old ones work in mysterious ways."
>>
Watched this last night after avoiding all threads and knowing nothing about the plot. It ended up in a completely different place as to where I thought it would so I'll give it that. Flawed but really satisfying for a low budget, throwback cosmic/gore/sci-fi(?) horror.
>>
>>81902811
>all this obvious shilling
Kek
>>
the performances really held it back. The color grading in the hospital was really off putting, the pacing was a clusterfuck, and they failed to do the whole ambiguous thing by overexplaining how ambiguous it is ( was tired of everyone spending 5 fucking minutes explaining how they dont know shit). It had really good effects that were brought down by everything else, and it lacked any identity outside of being a subpar clusterfuck of its influences. Hellraiser man at the end had no presence and kind of ruined the whole end. The hooded acolytes and the shots of the lovecraftian nebula dream shit were the only truly great moments outside of creature effects. I think we are just so used to shit that even something in the right direction of decent is way too overrated. And the thing is a favorite of mine, so im not just shitting on it to be contrarian, i just think it was a typical c-grade horror that mentions shit we lick up (lovecraftian horror) with better effects.
>>
Only good thing about the film was the effects and atmosphere, literally everything else was shit. So I came out of it feeling the movie was shit. I was expecting some cool lore but it was just random shit happening.
>>
>>81902811
It was pretty meh as fuck but it really scratched an itch for me. I love the lovecraftian shit even though it was subpar. The copied a ton of 80's sci fi shit I know but the quiet earth copy ending didnt work for me.
>>
>>81905635
This movie just made me want to rewatch The Thing
>>
The movie felt a little rushed. The basement scene was cool, the rest was sort of meh. I was more interested in the occult side of things like the doctor's rituals in his ranch than the bullshit happening in the hospital.
>>
>idiots saying this was subpar
Compared to what, from the last year? Fuck off, this was a gem of a horror movie. Evil Dead also was low budget, had some bad actors and awesome effects too, and it similarly invented its own "ancient evil" type lore that it never explained by the end of the film. It's not like a movie like this can't be good.

You faggots just let your weird expectations of this film to be 100% lovecraft "kino" completely ruin it for you.

Also none of the Hellraiser movies are good. The closest it got was Hellraiser 2
>>
It felt very much like they just wanted to pay tribute to The Thing and Hellraiser using practical effects, and then wrote a movie around it.

It's good, but if it didn't have those effects and throwbacks it'd be straight-to-tv tier trash.
>>
>>81906075
It's better than the ghost possession bullshit that we've been getting for the last decade. But the movie doesn't really have a satisfying execution.
>>
>>81905798
>lovecraftian

"no"
>>
Is it good, the trailer looked cheesy as hell
>>
>>81906075
so if a movie has little to no competition then its good by default? Evil Dead did a lot of things in new creative ways and set the standard for B horror. This movie did nothing new. None of your defense even mentions shit about this movie. But go on, continue being a sheep. Its okay as long its not mainstream.
>>
>>81906075
finally angry that your shilling isn't working?
>>
In every The Void thread there is that kid who have read Lovecraft yesterday and thinks he's the only one to have read it

>I k-knows what is truly lovecraftian
>>
>>81903365
I'm pretty sure the doctor that was behind everything was deluding himself into thinking that his loved ones were really returning but what he was actually doing was ripping open a portal into a hellscape and letting monsters in via human hosts. I felt really bad that the cop and his wife have to spend eternity in a fucking monster infested shithole. The movie was a solid 7.5/10 for me. Acting was mediocre but the monster effects, spiraling madness and excellent atmosphere made it pretty effective. The Cop's wife and Knives chao are fucking QT too.
>>
>>81903098
There was hella threads about this movie already man you're pretty late you stupid cuck kek.
>>
>>81906608
>but what he was actually doing was ripping open a portal into a hellscape and letting monsters in via human hosts
But the doctor returned as himself (no phisically).
>>
>>81903305
I thought Kenneth Welsh was pretty good as the doctor, but that might be my Twin Peaks nostalgia talking
>>
3/10

Liked the beginning, and the ending, the idea of a doctor mad with grief turning a hospital into a dimensional gateway to call upon the old ones had merits.

Sadly from twenty minutes in to 5 minutes from the end it was just your basic indie slasher, I just found myself tuning out.

Waste of Windom Earle, he should have had more screentime as he was the only competent actor, cute asianfu though.
>>
>>81906608
Actually i think the doctor was really bringing people back, but they were all deformed, that's why one of the creatures was bashing his head against the pipe, he wanted to die because he was in a place "worse than hell". The doctor implies he is getting his powers from something ancient, but it's not explained what the void or the pyramid is, but it doesn't look like hell, more like the dimension from Hellraiser 2.
>>
>>81906950
it's the warp, like Warhammer 40k or Event Horizon
>>
That gorilla child-reborn thing at the end was fucking disgusting.
Like when he shot it right in the face with the shotgun and instead of brains and gore just falling out, more sharp tendrils and tentacles just pour out of the gaping wound and just start stabbing and impregnating the dude
>>
It was shit and you all memed me into watching this garbage.

>muh lovercarft

You should be ashamed
>>
I really liked it, anything similar? except event horizon

I want no cgi and strange monsters and gore and mystery
>>
>>81907044
>That end scene where the kid is running away from it as it rapidly bounds towards him in the hallway
"I JUST WANT A HUG ONII-CHAN UGGGUUUUUUUU"
>>
I didn't think the acting was that bad. The main character cop guy was pretty good. His wife was a little annoying, and so was the asian lady (but I'm pretty sure she was supposed to be).

I didn't like the drug addict actor though, he hammed it. And some of the evil characters had pretty corny dialog once they were revealed to be evil. The main bad guy died because he was too busy gloating and monologuing like a dumbass to realize the danger.
>>
>>81907159
>The main bad guy died
Are you sure about that?
>>
>>81907127

>I really liked it, anything similar? except event horizon

'In the Mouth of Madness', the other Sam Neill Lovecraftian movie
>>
>Cosmic horror? Ne-
>Hear its nothing but gore

Welp
>>
File: possession.png (278KB, 640x387px) Image search: [Google]
possession.png
278KB, 640x387px
>>81907127

Possession, also Sam Neill
>>
>>81906619
I must have not been here that week because I only just heard of it tonight. The poster looks familiar, so I might have passed over a few threads about it during all this time and just ignored them because I thought it was an old 80's movie like Videodrome or something that I'd eventually maybe see and I didn't want to spoil for myself.
>>
>>81902811
i feel like there must be one single anon making all these void threads, it just wasn't that great
>>
>>81907402
>>81907295
gonna jump into these right away!
thanks
>>
File: pandorum_1.jpg (124KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pandorum_1.jpg
124KB, 1024x768px
>>81907127
as said by others but here, me and my movie bros are on a classic survival mystery/horror tip at the moment:

The Thing
In the Mouth of Madness
The Prince of Darkness
From Beyond
Pandorum (similar to Event Horizon)
They Live
Cube
>>
File: regret.webm (3MB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
regret.webm
3MB, 1200x720px
>>81907402
Possession is WAY better than The Void.

It really is powerful, seeing people act so fucking crazy, taking a sick pleasure in watching their loved one suffer for no reason at all, and it hits so close to home. Relationships aren't rational at all, and they do hurt, and this film is like the embodiment of that craziness and pain.
>>
>>81909033
I actually liked Pandorum a lot
>>
>>81910142
Me too friend
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.