/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People who DIDN'T like The Force Awakens, why didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 33

The most common complaint is that "The Force Awakens" basically repeats "A New Hope" but while that kinda annoyed me it didn't really make me dislike the movie.

What pissed me off more was how reliant the movie was on nostalgic moments. Every few minutes it basically shouted at you "Here, remember that from the original trilogy?" instead of developing something new within the universe. I felt like they were more concerned with making a movie that pleases the fans than with actually making a good movie. It's as if they made the movie with a list of demands that had to be met at all costs. I know a lot of Star Wars fans that loved the movie exactly because of that but I am simply not that much into the franchise so to me all these scenes fell flat.

Rey and Finn were interesting characters but their development was pushed away for Han's final arc. I think the movie would've been better off without him at all. He is too important to the series to function as a side character in the movie.

All these Marvel-esque quips flying around bugged me as well. It felt kinda inappropriate in a story that wanted to be emotional and serious.

In the end TFA felt to me like a well-made movie that was so afraid of failing that it actually became boring in the end.
>>
This is basically Disney
>Beauty and the Beast
>TFA
>The entire MCU
they play it safe and have no original thought
>>
Once Ray got to the space bar it got so boring I kinda fell asleep. From that point on nothing mattered. The plot began to crawl. All momentum was lost.
>>
>>81890915
Didn't find the development of the universe/characters to be believable. Doesn't feel canon, feels like fanfiction. Jot that down, Disney exec.
>>
it isnt engaging or as briskly paced as a New Hope.

Its like that scene for scene Psycho remake to me. You cant capture lightning in a bottle twice.
>>
Finn ruined it for me. I could forgive a lot of the faults of the movie, but his character was such a waste. A PTSD stormtrooper was unlike any character we've ever seen in a Star Wars movie and he had so much potential. Instead, the movie decided to use him as a way over-the-top comic relief character. They really didn't need a comic relief, because they had Han doing his usual thing and that was more than enough. Not to mention that Hans lines were funny and Finn's were mostly just obnoxious.

Not to mention after he laid eyes on Rey for the first time, it felt like his only motivation for doing anything was pussy. Like, if there was even a slight chance to get in her pants, he'd blow up the damn Star-Killer base.
>>
I couldn't connect with the protagonists. Rey was annoying, and Finn's backstory and character contrast were perplexing. I would have thought I'd have felt something when Han died, a character I'd known for 25 years, but I didn't give a shit; it all felt like fan-fiction.
>>
>>81891032
Money > originality it seems. Not long before Hollywood collapses.
>>
>>81890915
it was a remake

rey is ugly

rey's character was insanely over powered it was hilarious and made nothing matter
>>
>>81890915

I hate it because it's basically a Star Wars movie made for specifically for the outspoken and bitter OT only fans who hate both the prequels and the EU. It obliterates so much of what I had come to love about the Star Wars universe in a spiteful and hamfisted fashion and replaced it all with a timeline appears far less interesting.
>>
>>81890915
every character tried to be a beba fett. and you can't make a boba fett.
>>
>>81890915
it was bland.
they made another fucking deathstar...
a black storm trooper just seems inadvertently funny.
Super powerful sith gets his ass handed to him by an amateur.
>>
>>81890915
>People who DIDN'T like The Force Awakens, why didn't you like it?
I'm done paying hollywood to force political opinions down my throat.

Women are not strong
Women are not heroes
Women are not determined or inspiring

They are verifiably, factually and demonstrably less intelligent, less inspired, less ingenious and less capable than men in almost every field. I am not now nor will I ever swallow the feminist pill of equality because the two genders very simply are not equal.

That is why I didn't like it. Because Rey was the protagonist. I don't want that, I don't need that and I have had enough of Star Wars in my life if that's the way the franchise is going.
>>
>>81890915
GLIB
>>
>>81891522
this
>>
Some of the concepts were good but they messed up the execution. Take Captain Phasma for example. She would have been a good villain but they made her look weak. Finn had a good backstory but laughing as he killed his former comrades ruined that. Whoever wrote this film doesn't understand people. Also orange Yoma was a terrible character, the freighter scene felt out of place, and the light sabre and Poe plot holes should not have survived to the final draft.
>>
The only movie that came out of Star Wars franchise that deserves all the praise is Empire Strikes Back. ANH is just an alright movie, everything else is complete shit or medicore at best. SW wouldn't be so revered nowdays if it wasn't for massive marketing storm and shilling.
Making a basic bitch regular Star Wars movie is equal to making a medicore movie.
>>
>>81890915
Rey gains power far too quickly. I don't give a shit if the next film reveals she had her mind wiped. In the context of this film, she has no experience with the force and then she is magically using it within 5 minutes. Luke had to learn that shit. It took him an entire movie just to trust in the force and that allowed him to aim really well. Then he started using his saber and powers in the sequel but he was still inexperienced and fails multiple times, eventually losing a hand. It is only by the THIRD film is he truly proficient. Rey literally does all of that in a single afternoon, its fucking ridiculous.
>>
File: DuneGuildHutt.jpg (72KB, 729x798px) Image search: [Google]
DuneGuildHutt.jpg
72KB, 729x798px
>>81890915

Is there anything original about Star Wars.

Fucking hacks, the fans are fucking slaves.
>>
>>81891648
>le everyone copied dune epic maymay

No one gives a fuck about fucking Dune
>>
it's a generic piece of shit action movie that just happens to also be a star wars movie

i don't give a flying fuck about star wars but i dont understand how any actual star wars fans can possibly like this movie
>>
>>81890915
>The most common complaint is that "The Force Awakens" basically repeats "A New Hope" but while that kinda annoyed me it didn't really make me dislike the movie.

>What pissed me off more was how reliant the movie was on nostalgic moments. Every few minutes it basically shouted at you "Here, remember that from the original trilogy?" instead of developing something new within the universe. I felt like they were more concerned with making a movie that pleases the fans than with actually making a good movie. It's as if they made the movie with a list of demands that had to be met at all costs.

You know you contradicted yourself, right?
>>
File: Splinter_of_the_Minds_Eye.jpg (85KB, 315x520px) Image search: [Google]
Splinter_of_the_Minds_Eye.jpg
85KB, 315x520px
>>81891691

> themes of incest

In the official story line, Luke and Leia were fucking, pic related has them rolling around on the ground while Vader looks on.
>>
File: HQ Rey.jpg (854KB, 2134x3200px) Image search: [Google]
HQ Rey.jpg
854KB, 2134x3200px
>>81890915

I've never watched a single Star Wars movie, but I want to make sweet passionate love to Desert Rey. And by sweet and passionate I mean dirty and rougher than a colonoscopy from an above the elbow amputee.
>>
>>81891146
A New Hope is much slower and looser paced. The 1st or early 2nd act slows right down. The Force Awakens should have had a chunk of the 2nd act cut out so it wouldn't be so tight.
>>
It was just a big pendulum swing in relation to the prequels
>too much politics and world building
>no politics or world building

>disregard for fan service
>all fan service

>new ideas and concepts but executed poorly
>no new ideas or concepts but executed well

>memorable
>not memorable
>>
>>81890915
The embarrassing garbage writing
>>
>>81891522
AND she'll probably fuck the black guy!
AND Leia was a career girl that didn't need no man!
AND the sexist macho fuck is DEAAAAAAD
>>
>>81890915

>Had the subtlety of an MCU flick
>none of the main characters were likeable
>the spaceship dogfights were dogshit
>The freighter scene was awful
>no pacing
>no plot
>villains with weak motives
>Han's death was comical
>destroyed a bunch of classic planets
>stormtrooper designs were meh
Rey scavenging scenes, and the final lightsaber fight were the only decent parts, but even the fight was ruined with that stupid ground splitting apart bit
>>
>>81891640
Men's rights manbaby detected. Cry more. Women are brave and powerful. Get over it.
>>
>>81891146
A New Hope is one of the slowest dullest movies out there.

The OT in general had pretty terrible pacing.
>>
>>81891648
How the fuck are the Hutts a ripoff of the Lynch/DeLaurentis depiction of the Spice Navigators? They aren't remotely the same. This is Warhammer-tier autism.
>>
1. I dislike Finn, the man who was stolen from his parents and forced to kill wants to leave this all behind, quite literally immediately begins to murder other men and women no doubt stolen from their parents and forced to kill.
2. Boyega is not necessarily a bad actor but was directed horribly, far too much gurning and poorly delivered quips
3. I dislike Rey, for the reasons everyone has said a thousand times, it will of course turn out she's Space Jesus and that's why but it still makes for a shit character, who does not fail at anything
4. Daisey Ridley is a bad actor, she always delivers lines poorly, cannot stop gurning when trying to show emotion, has a very poor range.
5. The plot is far too similar to a new Hope
6. The Star killer base should not have been destroyed so easily and in this film
7. Han Solo and Chewbacca were painfully shoehorned in, they could have been used differently and better without being used as the exposition delivery.
8. Han Solos goosebumps monsters were fucking shit and dragged my ass out of the movie
9. Maz Kanata was a cgi character in a room full of practical effects and was shit, is older than yoda because needs to be, adds nothing except out the ass exposition, voiced by a young woman which was very jarring
10. JJ Abrams is a bad director who frames shots badly, directs actors badly, doesn't understand the universe, uses practical effects but tosses in ugly cgi which breaks immersion.
11. I can't be fucked to add any more but I really could keep going
>>
>>81891796
>The OT in general had pretty terrible pacing.
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH
>>
>>81890915
Reason I don't like it? Ohhh boy!

-Rey is ugly and got the power to fast. 2min in she is the Jedi master and I don't even know who the fuck she. And she act bad as fuck!
-Finn ....just why have him in the movie? And they fucked the Stormtroopers thanks to him.
-Kyle Ren... EMO and ugly and not evil at all! Just the wrong guy for that roll. Maybe if he had his mask on 24/7 he might be OK... but still a dick... and too much wannabe Vader...
-Movie is nothing new...

I just hate it so much I hope JJ die and all that worked and came up with that shit!
>>
>>81891249

He wasn't believable as a stormtrooper, so he was even less believable as a defecting one. Someone raised by the Empire would not talk or act like he did.

Rogue One did it so much better with the pilot defector
>>
I feel like it's an unnessecary sequel.
All new characters besides John Boyega's are either weak or one dimensional.
The story is almost like A New Hope.
>>
>>81891810
John Boyega is a pretty good actor outside of starshit, but yeah, Daisy doesn't seem too talented.
>>
>>81891809

The huts control space in the original, as do the Space Guilds in Dune, they both are an entity to themselves but are not the Empire.

Star Wars even copied the "Luke I am your Father twist", Paul being a Harkonnen through his mother.
>>
>>81891737
>>81891796

are these fuckers serious?
>>
File: pander.jpg (63KB, 640x588px) Image search: [Google]
pander.jpg
63KB, 640x588px
The flick was pandering millennial fodder.
>>
Finn amounted to nothing.
Poe might as well not have existed, he was just a vehicle for blowing shit up at the end.

HOO BOY, MEANWHILE, REY, a monstrous mixing pot meant to represent Luke, Han and Leia all in one, leaving nothing for the other two "main heroes" of the new series. As much as I hate pasting this term, essentially the ultimate in irredeemably Mary Sue as a character can get. Loved and respected by everyone who doesn't even know her (Leia hug scene, although even Abrams admitted that was a total fuckup), in a matter of seconds despite no personality;
capable of one-hand noscoping trained soldiers from across a forest after learning how to use a gun after one missed shot;
Learns methods of the force that took Luke hard days of training, and with no guidance and only a basic understanding of the Jedi and the force;
On top of all this, she manages to be the focal point of the story but also doesn't fucking DO ANYTHING.

Besides that:
Dried Orange was a complete asspull designed to explain things because they can't write for shit.
Death Star 3.0 also felt like an asspull "eh we need a big bad gun thingy thats still safe and familiar".
Obtaining Luke's lightsaber from a gas giant seems pretty ridiculous, but its Star Wars, I'll let that slide.
Snoke looks stupid.
>>
>>81890915
It's hard for me to enjoy a movie where i hate the main character.
I didn't even mind Kylo or Finn but Daisy can't act for shit and she has feminist super powers
>>
File: kek.gif (255KB, 248x200px) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
255KB, 248x200px
Disney shills on suicide watch.
>>
>>81891849
>Rogue One did it so much better with the pilot defector
Who? You don't mean Riz, right? Rogue One was shit.
>>
>>81890915
>female protag
>nigger

Didn't watch it. Not interested.
>>
Why did Leia and Rey hug? That was literally the first time they met each other.

Also, Chewbacca went and started celebrating with the resistance once he returned, shouldn't Rey have been celebrating and Chewie and Leia hugging? Did literally noone, not even the actors realize how big of a plot hole this is?
>>
>>81890915
I just thought it was really gay. Like SJW equality shit. Black and women main characters because black lives matter and women's rights.
>>
>>81890915
It's rather boring.

Watch these for true Star Wars kino:
https://youtu.be/RjG61DoDzN8
>>
>>81891937
For epic feelz and lulz
>>
Here's a list:

1. Reddit Dialogue
2. Reddit Acting
3. Unoriginal
4. Mary Sue main character
5. The beginning of the Star Wars universe featuring only female main protagonists
6. The redditors that like it on this board won't let people forget about it, same with BvS

I hope I cleared some things up for you.
>>
Basically it does too little to stand on its own as a great film. If you don't know or don't care about OT characters the movie has very little to offer you. Not to mention it's written very blandly because it's setting up characters for the sequel. Imagine if Star Wars ended after ANH. It'd be a pretty decent ending, they saved the day but Darth Vader got away. Now imagine that TFA ends with no sequel planned. Finn is in a coma, we have no idea what's up with Luke, Maz Kanata set up plot points for nothing and a million other problems. ESB did this exact same thing but it was still a fantastic movie.
tl;dr They made entry level garbage to set up the next movie
>>
>"Leia is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy"
>They get the map to Luke
>Leia is no longer desperate and she sends Rey to go train with him instead
Piss poor writing that we're expected to forgive because of "muh emotions, muh characters".
>>
>>81891796
This is only true of the Endor/space battle/throne room sequence in Return. And really, Endor is the only part of that that's dragging everything down.
>>
>>81891926
>>81891906
>>81891894
>>81891847
>>81891810
>>81891771
>>81891640
>>81891522
>>81891357
>>81891282

You

You are what's wrong with the world

You are the problem
>>
That movie was worse than the Attack of the Clones prove me i'm wrong
>>
>>81892014
>same with BvS
Your opinions are now worthless. Kys fucking faggot cuck
>>
>>81891940
>>81892057
Jyn Erso was boring and a dick, CGI Tarkin and Leia were hideous, edgy ending, Mads Mikkelsen was wasted again, Forest Whittaker died for no reason, quipping meme robot.

Only good part about Rogue One was Donnie Yen and the other Asian.
>>
I'd rate it too much nigger, girl and jew/10
>>
>>81892057
Sorry that we don't like a character with a talentless actor, and a character arc that is finished in the first movie of the trilogy
>>
>>81891861

It's the difference, imo, between someone who can act and someone who tries to act.

You either have it or you don't.

Boyega, seems to have it, when he's talking. Just casually talking it feels real, natural, flow of his voice, pacing, tone.

Ridley, every line feels and sounds like it's being read from a script, she's trying to act, every word feels like it's being delivered. Examples

Her talking to BB8 in the desert
>Classified. Really? Me too. Big secret.
>Stop grabbing my hand!!!!
>No, that one! No. No. The one I'm pointing to! No. NO. NO.
>Bypassed the compressa!!!!
>>
File: 75674.jpg (610KB, 799x1066px) Image search: [Google]
75674.jpg
610KB, 799x1066px
FRIENDLY REMINDER: Star Warsâ„¢ is dead, and if you think otherwise you're a common homo.
>>
File: 458073717.png (341KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
458073717.png
341KB, 512x384px
>>81891973
>Old Republic MMO
>True Star Wars
>>
>>81891747
This
>>
I think it boils down to that absolutely nothing impressed me. The music was mediocre. The new planets were boring. The fights didn't feel right. The nail in the coffin was another death star. If they had switched it up and only disabled the death star i might have been intrigued, but no they just blow it up. At least we managed to get some good memes out of the prequels. TFA despite having more "funny" moments has produced little to no memes.
>>
>>81892220
Haven't really played the game, but the cinematics are damn great.
>>
>>81892339
the music disappointed me the most

before the movie came out i told myself that even if the movie is shit, surely the soundtrack would be great. but nope, it was disappointing and forgetful. don't know what the fucks going on with john williams
>>
>>81892417
He's like 90 years old.
>>
>>81890915
>The most common complaint is that "The Force Awakens" basically repeats "A New Hope"

More than that, it has expies of almost every important character from the OT. Even the planets and locations are suspiciously similar to the ones in the OT.

What's worse is none of the few original things were likable.

This movie felt like it was made on an assembly line.
>>
>>81892469
Age is just a number, we should kick that old fart's ass for being so lazy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DByPy8aEPw
>universal concepts and stories that mirror mythology and aims to helps us understand something about our humanity, society, and we socialization with each other

>look we included a black guy and a girl
>dont hold my hand..brilliant
>you-you got a boyfriend, a cute boyfriend lolz hahaha
>>
>>81890915
I think it's an entertaining movie. It was just very predictable. I didn't really care about the characters much, but it's a series so there is time for them to grow.

The lighting felt very J.J. Abrams, and I don't care for his lighting style at all.

Me and a few buds had a bet going about what was gonna happen and almost every prediction we made came true. We called almost the entire film start to finish with a couple more wacky predictions that didn't occur. The two I remember being jar jar shows up and Finn dies.

I think I'm just tired of star wars. And sequels in general. They're memorable movies. And I'm very nostalgic for them like everyone else, but I've been so repeatedly disappointed by remakes and sequels that I've learned cynicism. Just like so many other people.

I don't know if they could have made a star wars movie that would have satisfied me. I just think I'm over it. So I call it a kids movie and move on with my life.
>>
>>81892361
Play KOTOR 1 and 2 Instead of that crap
>>
>>81892534
What the fuck does the original Star Wars aim to help us understand about our humanity, socialization, and society? Shut the fuck up.
>>
I hated it because it needed to delete over 30 years of EU to justify its own existence. I love the EU and TFA didn't live up to what I expected, my expectations were astronomically insane because it's fucking Star Wars and they were supposed to make the best movie possible, with the best writers, the best story, the best effects, the best cast. Anything less than perfect is unacceptable.
I don't care if it's not a valid criticism, I'm not saying TFA is objectively bad but I objectively hated it.
>>
>>81890915
>too much nostalgia
>everyone is quippy and fun
>pacing until Maz was too fast
It was alright
>>
File: images (1).jpg (6KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6KB, 318x159px
>>81890915
The story was predictable. There's no real character growth or development. Everyone solves their problems through sheer plot convience. The main villain started out somewhat intriguing but became a self parody by the end.
>>
>>81892725
>Anything less than perfect is unacceptable.
So I guess that invalidates the OT now doesn't it?
>>
>>81892598
there is a reason why I posted a link to the video so that it explains it. It borrows heavily from mythological and universal ideas, concepts, and meanings that appear to reach cross culturally. Something as simple as the light and dark sides of the force being an internal 'struggle" with our morality. If act selfishly and greedily you will be consumed by the dark side. Thus people should try more to be a good person.
>>
File: IMG_0929.png (162KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0929.png
162KB, 640x1136px
>>81890915

>Twins, one male, one female
>Just like Luke and Leia
>The female "discovers" the Force at a place that becomes known as the "Force Tree"
>The female twin founds the Jedi Order
>The male twin is evil and kills the female.
>Before she dies she makes a prophecy that she will return as The One
>Meanwhile Darth Sidious creates Anakin Skywalker to be a false prophet / golem type creation
>The Jedi are fooled into thinking he's The One
>The Jedi only realize their mistake too late.
>Anakin destroys almost all the Jedi
>Luke tries to redeem his evil father who literally slaughtered children.
>Rey is born and she is the perfect reincarnation of The One. Flawless in every way.
>She finds Luke Skywalker, who now just like his evil father, wants to destroy the Jedi Order

Rey will stop Luke's plans, restore order to the galaxy, and will destroy the dark side. She will also bring about the rise of the new Jedi order as predicted by Supreme Leader Snoke in TFA.

Rey being the reincarnation of The One explains why she is such a Mary Sue in TFA. She's literally a perfect super being.

The entire Star Wars saga is now about how women are good and men are evil.

The women are all leaders (Padme, Leia, Rey, Mon Mothma)

The men are all drawn to the dark side (Anakin, Palpatine, Snoke, Kylo)

tl: dr = Men are bad, women are good. Thanks Kathleen Kennedy!
>>
>>81892725
Why do you care if Mickey Mouse declares your stories based on glorified toy comercials real or not? Are you autistic?
>>
>>81892822
No, why would it?
The OT was the original creation that started everything. The prequels were made by Lucas himself so it was acceptable if they fucked up.
But TFA had to be perfect because they had no reason to make it other than making more money. The 6 part saga was over. The EU was okay (inb4 muh good friend meme). They should have let Star Wars slowly die in peace.
If they decide to delete all the EU, then to me this new movie has to be better than the entire EU.
I also want to add that making a Star Wars movie "for the fans" like Kathleen said is retarded. Star Wars was good the way it was because it was fucking aimed at kids, aimed at making toys and games. TFA seems to be the opposite.
>>
File: FQ Star Wars.jpg (308KB, 900x1069px) Image search: [Google]
FQ Star Wars.jpg
308KB, 900x1069px
>>81890915
>why didn't you like it?

>makes the ending of the OT meaningless
>world building is incoherent to the point of absurdity
>seems like no effort went into designing the aliens or spaceships
>Starkiller Base is the the most uninspired hack concept they could have possibly come up with
>Finn and Rey's personalities don't match their backstories
>Rey really is a mary sue

That said, I like Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron and BB8 a cute.
>>
rey a shit
>>
>>81892884
You are on a board for discussing TV and film, that means fictional stories. Why do you care about anything fictional, are you autistic?
>>
>>81892057
Naw, it's you, fag.
>>
>>81892952
My point is that you can still read all that EU bullshit, you just get butthurt because Disney told you that they aren't canon. The fact that you can't enjoy them anymore means that they were shit in the first place.
>>
>>81891937

Even JJ has admitted he went too far in this place.
>>
>>81893070
Are you seriously retarded? I never said I can't enjoy them anymore, idiot. It's the Disney stuff that I don't enjoy, all they are doing is just making dumbed down remakes of what the EU and original movies did.
>>
>>81892856
You're not wrong, but watch people disagree with you because it's about gender politics.
>>
File: IMG_8363.jpg (19KB, 248x247px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8363.jpg
19KB, 248x247px
Finn and Po being BFF in space would have been a better plot.

Also just from a purely film making perspective ....everything happens too fast to have much impact and the film basically stops to take care of Death Star 3000.
The plot was "let's find Luke" we forget about that for the entire middle of the movie

Still a fairly entertaining movie. 6/10 (maybe 7/10 if you really like Star Wars ?)
>>
>Rey is terrible protagonist, character and actor both
>Finn is completely irrelevant
>Poe is a horrible imitation of a Han Soloesque character
>Ren is a childish, pathetic antagonist
>shots straight out of Star Trek
>characters running around like headless chickens is not a good method to raise action
>too many references to the old trilogy
>fucking space laser and planets in visible distance from each other
>the story was janking forward, compared to the OT where it was more flowing and smooth

But the greatest problem is that Star Wars is an epic SPACE OPERA, not a fucking action flick.
>>
I never even bothered to watch it because Rey looks stupid
>>
>>81893177
6/10 but 2/10 because I really like Star Wars
>>
>>81892094
Forest died because he was unable to leave physically and tired of all that shit.
His death is a sign of the rebellion cleaning up and of the protagonists starting to take on responsibility (it culminates with the death of Jyn's father).
>le edgy ending
is a dramatic ending and had guts. This is a non-argument
>le quipping robot
if you were a neurotypical person, you would understand that the robot humor had a different tone compared to the other movies. Moreover, stuff like "I have a bad feeling about this" gains a complete different meaning.
>le boring protagonist
Jyn starts cold and opens up quite well. The actress conveys very well the progressive change in expressivity and the fact that sh "warms up". Sadly is too late for her.
>>
>>81891872

Star Wars "copied" just as much from Kurasawa and Jack Kirby's Fourth World comics as from Dune, it's called inspiration you sperg.
>>
>>81892339
>The music was mediocre.

This is the one that hurts the most.
>>
>>81890915
Han wasn't done well, his death felt like it was pulled out with no buildup whatsoever.

It's a giant chase scene. Returning Luke's lightsaber doesn't have immediate consequences, there's no pathos behind the reason other than "OMG Luke"

Biggest Death Star was ridiculous.

light saber fights were good though.
>>
File: -png-201005.jpg (86KB, 895x612px) Image search: [Google]
-png-201005.jpg
86KB, 895x612px
Friendly reminder that this was going to be Finn before the producers demanded forced diversity in the cast.

Imagine how much more cool and memorable the character would have been.
>>
>>81893461
And why do so many people say they love the so called "Rey's theme" so much? It was forgettable as fuck.
I swear TFA makes me feel like there's some sort of huge conspiracy or huge joke that everyone is in on except me. I don't understand how so many people liked the movie so much.
>>
>>81893500
I would have actually seen this movie if that had happened
>>
>>81891847
God, you write like a fucking teenager.
>>
File: ties.png (79KB, 354x185px) Image search: [Google]
ties.png
79KB, 354x185px
>>81893500
>replacing new strange and original spaceships with literally inverted color TIE Fighters.
>>
>>81893484
>here's no pathos behind the reason other than "OMG Luke"

Is the biggest problem of this pile of shit of a movie. Is all "meta". It makes no sense in-universe.
>>
>>81892856
>Mon Mothma
you're really reaching
>>
>>81893625
No, no, those spaceships in that concept art look like crap.
>>
Untrained girl fights New Order's prodigy fighter as an equal.
>>
>>81893500
The most chiseled blond actor in the world cannot fix shit writing, and that's what defines TFA for me.
>>
Rey being incredible at everything for no discernible reason ruined the movie for me. I was suspicious once she piloted the Millennium Falcon. When she beat Kylo Ren at his mind-reading thing I lost all interest in the movie.
>>
mainly rey knowing how to use jedi mind tricks, everything else was okay for me, including her mechanical knowledge (any monkey can be a mechanic), and her beating ren (ren only learned to duel badly from skype sessions with snoke).
>>
>>81890915
> shits all over the originals, their protagonists and their growth and accomplishments
> han is a smuggler for muh nostalgia
> Luke is a quitter
> stuff there for meta reasons not for the plot
> such plot is a contrived mess
> as an example the lightsaber and how is "a story for another time"
> see, too, when the little robot activates. This is videogame-tier
> the conflicted defecting stormie becomes a quipping negro in 2 scenes
> muh strong female hero is a mary sue
> mush strong female villain is pointless
> nonsensical political situation
> no setup for ludicrous super-weapon (that makes no sense for an imperial REMNANT)
> rlated, no setup for th republic and the destruction scene makes no sense in space
> no set up for han
> Kylo has zero charisma
> Snoke is just there for the fans, has no sense in the plot. See original, empy appears in the second movie
> JJ "lens flare" Abrams does everything to remember us we are watching a movie, he winks at the camera and kills immersion
> pacing after desert planet goes completely out of the window

I could go on hours. Is a ridiculously bad movie and the fans swallowed it all. It makes sense it made billions - everybody went to watch the new SW movie after years. I went, too.
The problem is the retards that will go to watch Ep VIII. They are the reason we cannot have nice things.
>>
>>81893731
They do but at least they were something new
>>
File: 1429204253563.jpg (17KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1429204253563.jpg
17KB, 240x320px
i'm in the minority but i actually liked finn, a grunt who defects because of the empire treating his buddies like squadmates like fodder is pretty great

hell he didn't even want to join the resistance, he just wanted to leave and get off of jakku

Rey is hot garbage though. ZERO plot development.

> being able to fly the MF and fix it
> not explained
> being able to resist force mind control
> not explained
> being able to force pull a lightsaber despite never seeing it done
> not explained
> being able to go one-on-one with a sith apprentice AND land a near fatal blow
> not explained

not only that, she's perfect at everything she does, flying the falcon , which in ep7, is basically an old-ass cargo freighter around next-gen TIEs and through a star destroyer wreckage is bullshit

poe had nothing to do, and it was obvious they were going to kill him in the crash with finn but brought him back at the end because MUH FOCUS TESTING

han went out like a fucking bitch and was treating his bff chewie's bowcaster like he'd never seen it before

hux is hitler 2.0 and an insult to the audiences' intelligence

JJ fucked up everything and even rian can't save it, because he has to build off of JJ's garbage
>>
>>81893812
>Rey being incredible at everything for no discernible reason ruined the movie for me.
>>81893763
>Untrained girl fights New Order's prodigy fighter as an equal.
>>81892932
>Rey really is a mary sue
>>
>>81890915
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but fucking "Snoke".
He looks and sounds fucking stupid, I hope I'll be surprised when we finally see him.
>>
>>81891282
Yeah, but it was because his death felt like the death of a random stormtrooper, there was a impact in theory, but very poorly made up.
Han should have a death scene like in Logan tho.
>>
>>81894116
why are you greentexting the truth?
>>
>>81894205
shhh is the bot they are testing to improve JJ Abrams current A.I.
>>
>>81891600
"Whoever wrote this film doesn't understand people"
TFA wrote the same guy who wrote Episode V, VI and every Indiana Jones movie except Crystal Skull. So a guy you can assume has a Idea or two how to write good scripts.
>>
Rey is actually a Mary Sue and all that.
But Finn! Fuck me! Finn is so horribly written in comparison to her its night and day. Does not come off whatsoever as an indoctrinated trained-from-birth soldier -- they didnt even try with that shit.
The relationship between old Han and Rey was completely utterly hollow and non-believable.
The First Order is a terrible unexplained underwritten villain faction with no realistic approximation of threat, which causes stakes of the film to fly out the window.
The handling of 'mystery' in the series was utter clickbait bullshit telling you to buy the ticket for the next movie as your watching this one. Back in the original Star Wars, Ben Kenobi came out and told Luke everything important (besides what his personal pain limited him from saying) and the viewer could fill in the blanks. To put it simply: in the OT, mystery was treated as though there wouldnt be a sequel "but if there was it'd be cool to do this!" whereas in The Force Awakens mystery is treated like "we'll reveal this 2 years from now stay tuned!" and includes character motivations in that fucking mystery !

Bullshit!
>>
>>81893965
And that matter because? They're flying spiky manta rays. I prefer inverted TIE's
>>
Didn't feel or even unique at all. Looked more like a carbon copy of older movies.
>>
>>81894106
Ahah I tend to forget Hux. I kind of feel bad for the actor, dunno.

I wished I could like Finn. I LOVED the ida. watching the movie for the first time I was like "well this is going to be interesting and different" but he could have been a zookeeper or a copyrighter or a retired taxonomist. His character would have been the same.
>>
>>81891640
That will be explained in the upcoming movies. Maybe she is some sort of gene experiment like Anakin was, just more advanced.
>>
>>81894344
I honestly prefer new rather than old and safe when it comes to Star Wars. I want to be surprised the same way people were surprised when Episode 5 came out and they saw the AT-ATs.
>>
>>81894405

She's a reincarnation of the first ever Jedi. Seriously.
>>
>>81894205
>why are you greentexting the truth?

that's the re occuring theme in this thread I agree with. JJ trying too hard to make a strong woman out of his otherwise charismatic actress turned on its head.

I was too lazy to add anything in my original post.
>>
>>81894315
don't forget kasden co-wrote all of the screenplays. when he was brought on board for TFA, i didn't think that would automatically make it good (but that's what disney wanted to convey to the casuals, that with kasden back there was no way it could be bad).

imho from here on out the movies can only get better. jj set the bar low enough that i'm pretty confident the last jedi and xi will be much better. although nothing will ever touch the OT.
>>
>>81890915
A son killed his father for no reason whatsoever.
Nice "childrens movie" you got there disney.
>>
>>81894436
Come the fuck on. This would make her instead of a character that can be ACCUSED of being a Mary Sue, an actual fucking Mary Sue.

Impossible.
>>
>>81894409
>I honestly prefer new rather than old and safe when it comes to Star Wars.
Ok but here's the thing, the "new" thing you're pining over is derivative unimaginative shit. I want new things too, but that was a bad example and you should feel bad.

Fuck you.
>>
Reys whole past thing got rushed.
>>
>>81894501
Fuck YOU, man, you want something perfect that can't happen. I just want them to try.
>>
>>81894561
A flying manta ray with spikes is not trying it's fucking Animal Planet FUCK YOU!
>>
The movie ruined the franchise

Now the ending in ROTJ is pointless
>>
>>81894490
He killed Han to be evil.
I'm more concerned about the alleged planet destruction though (actually I didn't understand that scene, did they actually destroy planets or what?)
>>
>>81894490
this is why i don't think ren will be redeemed, not in a 'he's a good guy now, team up with rey's squad' sort of way. he'll die saving rey/other good guys and that will be the full extent of his redemption.
>>
>>81891847
Are you really this retarded? Your complain about Kylo based on criticism which is not criticism because all these things define his character. They literally said directly in the movie that Kylo is a wannebe Vader, this is his fucking character.
>>
Kylo Ren is the biggest joke ever.

If he can't even beat Rey in the first movies, how is he supposed to beat her in the next movies. It's too predictable. I'm not watching TLJ
>>
>>81894676
*the first movie
>>
A combination of the story being essentially a rehash of ANH and Rey being a giant Mary Sue robbed the movie of any drama or tension it might have had. Every beat was predictable.

Also Finn's character made no sense even though it was well acted.
>>
>>81891747
It was just a big pendulum swing in relation to the prequels
>too much politics and world building
>no politics or world building

>disregard for fan service
>all fan service

>new ideas and concepts but executed poorly
>no new ideas or concepts and executed poorly

>memorable
>not memorable
>>
>>81890915
its biggest issue was that it didnt go fucking anywhere with any characters. It was all just so bland.

Poe. I defy you to describe poe without using the words "pilot, daring, and charming"

Finn. Its been done to death on this board already but holy shit what a missed opportunity this guy was. On top of that, the arc he does have makes absolutely no sense and is easily the biggest plot hole in the film.
>wants to leave the first order because his stormtrooper buddy dies and he doesnt want to execute a village
>literally mere moments later in the film he is nonchalantly blasting stormtroopers away
>stormtroopers he likely knows and grew up with while being brainwashed for the first order SINCE INFANCY
>later says he never wanted to kill
>kills a lot
God what the fuck were they thinking? And John Boyega is a good actor too so i dont blame him at all. The writing on Finn is inexcusably bad.

Rey
Rey is not a character. We learn fuck all about her and she has zero distinct traits.

Kylo Ren
Has potential i guess. He at least has some sort of interesting backstory with turning to the darkside and all that

Snoke
Dumb. Just dumb.

Han Solo
The only reason people arent saying his character was absolute shit in this movie is because we all know how great of a character he can be based on his last three appearances. All he does in TFA is quip and gawk at Rey, then die for no reason other than to copy A New Hope poorly.

Leia
Not much to her here. The one standout moment she does have is a totally inexplicably stupid one where she goes and hugs Rey after Han Solo dies. This is despite the fact that she's spoken maybe 1 or 2 full sentences to Rey, and she goes to her instead of Chewbacca who has been a long time friend of both her and Han.

BB8 fucking rocks though. Way better than C3P0 and R2D2
>>
>>81892538
In the film of your life, you probably think James Franco should play you.
>>
>>81890915
It copied too much from ep4.
But overall i think it did its job.
It introduced new characters while keeping active old ones (han solo basically), and the twist from ep4, Kylo Ren, looks interesting.
A pathetic edgy kid, exactly what they needed to do to avoid comparisons with Vader (well, idiots will still compare them, but it doesn't take a phd to understand that they didn't want to make Vader 2.0).

It is too early to judge it, we still have to watch 2 episode. But i think he has potential
>>
>>81894725
>Han Solo
That was not Han Solo. It was meta-Han Solo.
>>
>>81894748
Mannequin was a pathetic edgy kid in Ep 2 and Ep 3, sir.
>>
>>81894725
>I defy you to describe poe without using the words "pilot, daring, and charming"
Can I use synonyms?
>>
>>81891249
Finn should have had a British accent. He's played by a British actor and comes from the bad side. A nigger with an English accent would ad to the tapestry of the Star Wars world.

Did the storm troopers in the OT have American accents? I can't remember.
>>
>>81892538
the entire plot was leaked almost entirely scene by scene 8 months before the movie was released. if you were on 4chan/reddit around that time, you already knew the movie so of course it was going to be predictable when you actually watched it.
>>
It was boring, mostly because of it being ANH retread.
>>
>>81890915
>why didn't you like it?
Women aren't people
>>
>>81894834
>Did the storm troopers in the OT have American accents?

Yes actually, they did.
>>
>>81894748
>It is too early to judge it, we still have to watch 2 episode. But i think he has potential

You are the problem.
>>
>>81894853
While i was watching it the first time, i was really hoping that the planet didn't explode.
>>
The score was in no way memorable. Say what you will about the prequels. Those films, particularly the first, had some fantastic music. TFA soundtrack was wholly forgettable and uninspiring. It didn't reinforce the feel of SW.
>>
>>81894834
>Did the storm troopers in the OT have American accents?

Nearly all of them, as far as I remember. They didn't turn Kiwi until the prequels.
>>
>>81894911
I can't remember a single track from TFA and while the prequels are atrocious movies, they certainly do have some memorable music.
>>
>>81894725
on top of that, the fact that it is essentially a rip off of a new hope necessitates the comparison between the two that otherwise would be unfair/unwarranted.
Considering this, The Force Awakens comes up short in every single way.

First off, Star Killer Base is fucking stupid. Sure it has better firing power and range, but i cant possibly imagine its a more efficient weapon than the Death Star. 1, its obviously going to take much longer/more resources to weaponize an entire god damn planet and equip it with the necessary tech to be able to movie it. I dont believe that it can actually move but Reddit fags say it can despite literally no evidence of that being present in the films.
Anyway, the Death Star for sure can move, and can even utilize hyperspace travel.
Also, even before Rogue One "explained" the Death Star's weakness, it still is a one in a million shot that Luke had to make to destroy it even with the force. So that scene where Luke destroys the Death Star is infinitely more exciting than stupid scene where Poe and friends do it. You get the feeling that the Death Star explosion was this miraculous victory brought about by Luke being in the right place and the right time and harnessing the power of the force by channeling what he's learned from Obi Wan. In TFA its just a dumb action scene that makes The First Order look incompetent, especially when Phasma getting wrekt is factored in.
>>
>>81894907
Just think about it. The planet does not explode.
Now is a big subversion and you have han dead, coruscant in shreds and the first order in full advantage.

It would be still an outrageously bad movie but would give us a true reason to go on.
>>
Did they ever name any of the five planets? Did any of the characters have any affiliation with those planets? Did any of the plot take place on those planets?

The whole movie consisted of lazy and stupid moments where the filmmakers just assumed that the events in the film would resonate emotionally with the audience. "Oh look, they are trying to convince me Poe is dead but there is no body. No big deal if he is dead, I didn't have much of an attachment to him anyway. He's back? Called it, and the film isn't really any better or worse because he's back because he's a fucking underdeveloped card board cut out of a character..."
>>
>>81894823
clever. But no.
>>
>>81894725
>God what the fuck were they thinking? And John Boyega is a good actor too so i dont blame him at all. The writing on Finn is inexcusably bad.

Finn would make (more) sense if he was some random guy who was kidnapped and forced to be a janitor and then a stormtrooper after a mostly normal childhood.
>>
>>81895011
I am convinced that J.J. Abrams is not human.
He is an A.I. everything he does is an unoriginal imitation of what he can simulate from human directors and he is unable to understand human attachment and motivations.
>>
>>81894911
i don't know man. i can only remember duel of fates and the music during the mustafar duel. for TFA i can remember rey's theme, kylo ren's theme, march of the resistance, x wings scherzo, and jedi steps (although that one is just a variation on the previous stuff).
>>
>>81895005
>First off, Star Killer Base is fucking stupid. Sure it has better firing power and range, but i cant possibly imagine its a more efficient weapon than the Death Star. 1, its obviously going to take much longer/more resources to weaponize an entire god damn planet and equip it with the necessary tech to be able to movie it.

Don't forget either that the First Order is much smaller than the Empire. Where would it get the manpower and resources necessary to build a weapon vastly larger and more powerful than the Death Star?
>>
>>81895008
That's the point.
Obviously it can't fix the previous hours, but it would have at least shown some balls to be different from ep4
>>
>>81895075
His character would work just fine if he was a random conscript from some planet the First Order controlled. Nobody brainwashed from birth to be a remorseless killer would be so emotionally-well adjusted and decent.
>>
>>81895005
The arc of Luke going off world with an older mentor felt more organic since Obi Wan had a connection to Luke that Luke was unaware of, and Luke had no choice because his whole family was brutally murdered.
Rey and Han Solo is stupid because its basically one huge coincidence. This makes it all the more stupid when Han dies and Rey and Finn are screaming and crying like babies even though they knew the guy for like a day, possibly less. When Luke was upset at Obi Wans death it made sense because he knew Obi Wan for years prior to being trained by him, AND Obi Wan was, as far as Luke knew, the only connection to his father he had left.

Luke overall is a much better protagonist because we watch him go from a farm boy dreaming of something bigger than himself to a Jedi in training. Now Rey was looking to be equally inspiring until the first action sequence, and we found out that she was not only an expert in stick fighting but also in flying, and star fighter combat, and was able to flawlessly learn the controls of not only the millennium falcon but also the cargo ship Han Solo picked them up in (she uses the control panel to use a door to slice the monsters arm off when it has Finn).
All of that would be forgivable if not for the final confrontation with Kylo Ren. I know people have said Kylo was emotionally compromised and wounded from Chewbacca's blaster, but i dont buy it. All of that going against him really shouldnt be a problem when dealing with a girl who has literally no training. A New Hope went through the effort of letting us know that Luke was being trained by Obi Wan, but didnt make the mistake of putting Luke to a test like fighting Vader too early. The Force Awakens did, and it was fucking stupid. How on earth is anyone supposed to take the First Order seriously?
>>
>>81895147
totally agree, man
>>
>>81892057

>"traditional gender roles are a tool of oppression for the patriarchy!"

>women never apply for jobs as trash collectors, crab boats, miners etc. and score well below men in physical performance in the military andbyet represent 100% of the main warrior hero roles in the first 3 Disney Star Wars titles

So basically, you're mad that people don't want blatant political shlock in their escapism entertainment?

How about go fuck your self
>>
>>81895226
And finally, the one thing that fans actually want to cross over from film to film is fantastic sci fi settings that let the imagination run wild accompanied by classic film scores, were not present in TFA.
Yes, John Williams composed the score for TFA, i know. But this was easily the most boring one he has done. No one track stands out. I know theres an absolutely asinine reddit thread about how it "accompanies the action perfectly" but literally every single star wars movie can say the same thing and there are multiple stand out tracks from the other 6 movies even so. TFA score comes up short. Plain and simple, end of discussion.
The worlds were fucking boring. Jakku was just Tatooine, but without a mysterious city ripe for fan world building like Mos Eisley.
Did they even name the other planets they went to? I dont think so. I mean we briefly saw the Hosnian system but thats clearly just a coruscant ripoff. The place where they saw Maz was just to mimic Yavin 4 and the Mos Eisley cantina, but we didnt see much of it and Maz Kanata was so insufferable that i just wanted them to fucking leave.
Maz Kanata is a discussion for another day but just let it be known that i find her worse than Jar Jar by far.

Rogue One wasnt great but at this rate the star wars anthology films are looking to actually be better than the main story so far.
>>
>>81895207
>>81895075
The Stormtroopers sort of have a point in the whole traitor bit.
Like Finn seemingly has a crisis of concious, y'know killing is badong and all that shit. Nope he just immediately turns his guns on his brothers to save his own ass. Then he's ready to die for some assholes he doesn't even know because a mild guilt trip.
>>
>>81891357
I am no fan of this movie but you can fuck right off.
Daisy Ridley is absolutely adorable.
>>
>>81890915

1. didnt feel like a star wars movie
2. really tired plot and contrived action scenes
>>
>>81892961
>Triggered
>>
>>81894156
Snoke is Luke.
>>
>>81895390
oh and more thing

To be fair it is still a little too early to tell if this will hold up, but The Force Awakens has utterly failed to inspire the same way The Phantom Menace did.
Now despite everything ive said so far, i do think The Force Awakens is a better film overall than The Phantom Menace, but if theres one thing that TPM and indeed all the prequels did better than TFA and even the OT, its inspiring the fanbase.
Not only were the worlds fantastic and unique and extremely numerous and varied, they were INTERESTING. In addition, the prequels dont have the most original plot in the world, but they were for the most part very distinct from the OT. So, even though the clone wars film was dogshit, the worst star wars movie in fact, what it inspired makes it so much more worthwhile than TFA. Two (you could argue three) brilliant cartoon series exist entirely because of the incredible world building and fan experience that the prequels are pretty much totally responsible for reigniting, and for keeping the star wars fanbase growing for years.
The Tartakovsky clone wars, the CGI clone wars, and now Star Wars rebels are taking on interesting concepts and ideas that are creatively speaking far beyond TFA, and they owe it all to the prequels.
Its only been two years i know, but if TFA was really that good, wouldnt at least SOMETHING akin to what we saw the prequels create be swirling around the media right now?
Only thing new TFA has introduced to Star Wars fan world building is a contest to see who can come up with the silliest lightsaber design
>>
Rey is a shit protagonist. I think it really all boils down to that. Every other character was good except her.
>>
I watched fans movies what feel more like star wars than this.
>>
>>81893500
Finn would have teamed up with Poe (who was a jedi pilot) and crashed on Jakku. Rey, Hans daughter, would have been training with Luke there. Luke's kid would have been the jedi killer/
>>
>>81891498
Eh. Not quite Sith yet.
>>
>>81895659
Lucas is an arrogant hack but is, too a great guy for concepts and ideas, if helped in the execution.

JJ is just a relatively well programmed "copy and change something" software.
>>
>>81890915
Everything else aside, I won't forgive them for fucking up Han, Leia and Luke's happy ending from the OT.
>>
File: 1475203911582.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475203911582.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>81895723
>>
>>81891522
>"MUH PEEN"
>>
File: IMG_9106.jpg (60KB, 479x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9106.jpg
60KB, 479x700px
>John Williams made the conscious decision to awkwardly shove a rendition of Tchaikovsky’s famous Romeo and Juliet love theme rise just as Kylo Ren enters his ship with Rey

I just checked and this is true. Why did I never notice? WTF does it mean???
>>
>>81893500
yeah, luke 2.0, copy more ep4 things.
Exactly what this movie lacked.
Don't get me wrong, still better than the nigger, but it wasn't a great idea either.
>>
>>81890915

wow maybe because these movies are aimed at kids and have literally no plot other than "le evil guy does something evil but is ok the good guy gets revenge in the end" and everything inbetween is just a big fat filler of bullshit where everyone gets to kick ass a little bit to look good, there's literally millions of movies who already did this but this one is called starwars so god forbid we consider this just a regular C-tier saturday movie cuz' apparently a lot of manchilds in denial refuse to accept that this movie is aimed at the kids they should have by now if they ever left mom's basement and lost their virginity
>>
I didn't like the fact that JJ Abrams turn Star Wars into his cuckold fantasy.
>>
>>81895836
>projecting this hard
>>
Soulless fan service and boring unlikable leads. Same reason I didn't like Rouge One.
>>
>>81895894

Everything I said is true. This is a brainless action movie aimed at kids. Grow up.
>>
>>81895791
it means reylo is canon, retard.
>>
>>81895954
Even a kid movie can be done with heart and attention.
if you can grasp this simple concept, I can only pity you anon.
Also, you are in the wrong place AND the wrong thread to state that, anon.
Unless you feel actual pleasure into showing your fedora-tier intellectual superiority to the anons in this thread. In that case.. well... just, please, reconsider your life choices.
>>
>>81896170

I was asked why didn't I like this movie (I don't even know which one is which they are basically same shit) and the reason is because I'm not a 10 year old and I can't just ignore a dumb story because of lightsabers anymore.
>>
>>81891522
This pretty much. They could have made Rey work if she was more of a force user like Palpatine instead of forcing the "Le lightsaber may may" and having her somehow beat Kylo in a fight. Women and men are not equal at all, but women can be pretty fucking crafty in getting around their weaknesses and we should have seen that with Rey
>>
It's a kid-friendly rehash of A New Hope, but worse in every way than the original film. Full of plot-conveniences, a mary-sue protagonist, and an awful excuse for a final fight at the end of the film.

Rogue One is way better. Yes, that film is a rehash of ANH as well, but at least Rogue One makes sense to be one since it is a direct prequel to ANH, and the references directly tie-in to the beginning of episode 4. It's more mature than any other Star Wars out there possibly, and has one of the best Darth Vader scenes ever.
>>
>>81896218
You are really pathetic. Just leave the thread.
>>
TFA is quite possibly the most overrated film to come out in a long time. The film is pure garbage, IMO.
>>
>>81890915
idk, it's like when they update a mascot on cereal or something, it's weird and feels out of place but I'll probably end up not bothered or even enjoying it in the future
>>
>>81895093
That's a lot of words to say he's a Jew
>>
File: 1492796040227.png (322KB, 446x399px) Image search: [Google]
1492796040227.png
322KB, 446x399px
>>81890915
I didnt like Abrams making his cast diverse just "bc why not lol diversity" right then I knew we had a problem. I don't care about diversity but doing it just to do it was dumb as fuck. Also remaking a new hope as a new installment (but with a girl luke who comes off as fan fiction because she's just like him but way way way way way cooler stronger and smarter) it was an okay movie. But for it being the next installment in a star wars movie. Its pretty bad. Not that it matters considering normies and star wars fans think its the greatest movie ever.
>>
Which was worse,TFA or Jurassic World?
>>
>>81896753
fuck, tough call; TFA I guess? Less hones and less sense. And more marysueing
>>
>>81896753
apples and oranges (both flawed tho)
>>
>>81896753

At least, Jurassic World was fun and had awesome Dino-on-Dino fight scenes at the end of the film.
>>
>>81891522
In a world with a magical manipulatable force you can't believe a women could be strong?
>>
>>81897064
She'd still be bleeding for 1/4 of every month and lash out emotionally at everyone. At that point I couldn't believe she was anything other than a Sith.
>>
>>81896381
>kid-friendly rehash of a new hope

a new hope is a kid's movie too, retard. lucas always intended them to be children's movies that families could enjoy together.
>>
>>81891648
you do realize that dune ripped off star wars, right?
>>
>>81892053

Endor is the WORST. And they spend the last hour of the movie there.

It's such a boring planet. I have woods within walking distance of my house.

And Marquand shot ROTJ like a goddamn made-for-TV movie.
>>
>>81896867
The dino on dino fight scene was the dumbust thing i've ever seen. The trex basically nods to them, like job well done. So corny
>>
>>81897180
*dibbs*
>>
>>81891796
Nope. Also, you can see how ANH is well built around the DS, see how the PK is ass-pulld in TFA.
The only movie in the OT with some pacing problem is Return.
>>
Finn as the protagonist with Poe as his sidekick would've been better desu
fuck rey
>>
>>81890915

I felt like Poe could have been a great character if he actually got to go on the adventure with Rey and Finn rather than just disapperaing and then reappearing for the final act.

Rey, had she been bad at ANYTHING in the beginning could have had character growth, but instead she starts out at 10 and ends up at 11.

I really liked Finn. People had a hard time understanding his motivation, but it was pretty obvious to me; he's a coward. He's afraid to die and he does anything and everything to run away.
>>
>>81897064
I can't.
>>
The more I think about Star Wars 7, the more it pisses me off.

It undid literally everything accomplished in the originals.

> There is no longer balance to the force
> The empire has still not been defeated
> There is a new, even better death star so Luke and Lando accomplished nothing longterm
> Leia is not learning to be a Jedi
> Leia and Han are not together
> Han is back to being a somewhat sleazy smuggler
> Luke is still learning to be a Jedi
> The prophecy of the originals was apparently meaningless, because Anakin's redemption apparently accomplished nothing.
> It even undid little things like Luke losing his saber, which was somehow recovered from falling into an abyss
>>
>>81897394
>Rey, had she been bad at ANYTHING in the beginning
Imagine the SJW moaning when she breaks a nail and 356 blogs demonstrating scientifically that J.J. is a misogynist.
>>
>>81897495
Why is there a resistance when the Empire is destroyed?

How powerful is the New Order actually? They say it's the remnants of the Empire yet the Empire didn't have the means to build a Death Star the size of a planet.

What's the deal with the Republic? Who are they and why isn't Leia with them?

Why did Hux hold a speech for his men before firing the death star? It's not like they're marching to war. For the guys, it's just another day at the office.

Why did this movie make such a big deal out of the Republic being destroyed when we don't even know what the Republic actually was?

How could a stormtrooper janitor use a lightsaber efficiently to the point of holding quite well against a Sith disciple?

How could an untrained girl defeat a Sith disciple when she didn't know about the Force until 30 minutes ago and this was her first time using a lightsaber?

What was the point of the aliens released in the cargo? It had no impact on the movie at all save that scene.

Why were Finn and Poe such good friends when they met? They had spent a total of five minutes together, with four of them consisting of Poe doubting Finn's abilites.

What was the point of Luke making it so hard to find him and why did R2D2 wake up at such a convenient time of the story?

Why is the Empire still building death stars with massive weak points?

Why is Hux leading the New Order when he looks like he's in High School? Surely there is someone with more experience than him around.

What is the point of Maz? They say she's some pirate but why would someone like that be of value to a jedi like Luke?

Is Luke really that indifferent to the galaxy that he's willing to let four planets blow up rather than intervene himself?

Why was the Millenium Falcon so conveniently placed there? Did someone forget to take the car keys?

Why does Snoke insist on looking like a Playstation character?
>>
>>81896753
TFA, mainly because I don't really give a shit about Jurassic Park so another big dumb sequel was no big deal.
>>
>>81891796
I'd like to know what your favourite films are.
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 470x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 470x604px
>>81893208
>But the greatest problem is that Star Wars is an epic SPACE OPERA, not a fucking action flick.
That's a valid point which occurred to me as well, it's not about normal people, it's more like grand folklore.
>>
>>81897394
John was the only person who looked like he happy to be there. Rey was perfect and bland and Ford was just tired and clearly looked like he didn't want to be there.
>>
>>81890915
>All these Marvel-esque quips flying around bugged me as well.

>You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

>Jabba, you're a wonderful human being.

>Governor Tarkin. I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.

>Look, Your Worshipfulness, let's get one thing straight. I take orders from just one person: me.
>It's a wonder you're still alive.

>Apology accepted, Captain Needa.

>I don't believe it.
>That is why you fail.

>Chewie, take the Professor into the back and plug him into the hyperdrive.

>I love you.
>I know

>Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1!
>Never tell me the odds!

>And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!

>Let go, please.
>Don't get excited!
>Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited.
>Sorry sweetheart. I haven't got time for anything else.

>I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee.

>No time to discuss this as a committee.
>I am not a committee!

>When 900 old you reach, look as good you will not, hmm?

>Wonderful! We are now a part of the tribe.
>Just what I always wanted.

>Your overconfidence is your weakness.
>Your faith in your friends is yours.

Yeah, not like Star Wars ever had quips before.
>>
>>81898513
but those aren't quips
>>
>>81891522
Its 2017 anon. Women are 100% identical to.men in every way. Actually women are better. Again its 2017.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 400x302px
It seems wise to return to Endor in VIII because it could be more of a continuation of the story.
>>
>>81891810

I bet you are real fun at parties.
>>
>>81897540
>Why is there a resistance when the Empire is destroyed?
It's a resistance to the First Order. For some reason the Republic wanted no part in it.

>
How powerful is the New Order actually? They say it's the remnants of the Empire yet the Empire didn't have the means to build a Death Star the size of a planet.
What does power have to do with fitting a hollowed-out planet with a destruct-o-ray that was perfected thirty years ago? For all we know, that could be Ilum, the Empire ravaged the fuck out of it.

>What's the deal with the Republic? Who are they and why isn't Leia with them?
Not sure what you mean. She leads the Resistance against the First Order. Probably because her son is involved. Or because she just likes fighting the bad guys.

>Why did Hux hold a speech for his men before firing the death star?
Because it's an eventful, ceremonious occasion. The speech and the sight of the destruction of the Republic Homeworld ensures a boost in morale.

>Why did this movie make such a big deal out of the Republic being destroyed when we don't even know what the Republic actually was?
Why don't you know what the Republic is by now?

>How could a stormtrooper janitor use a lightsaber efficiently to the point of holding quite well against a Sith disciple?
He's a stormtrooper. Clearly he was trained in several forms of combat.
>How could an untrained girl defeat a Sith disciple when she didn't know about the Force until 30 minutes ago and this was her first time using a lightsaber?
Two parts to this. One, she is used to fighting with a staff. Two, that doesn't translate well and most of the fight was her flailing about. She nearly loses before she taps into the Force or something.

>What was the point of the aliens released in the cargo? It had no impact on the movie at all save that scene.
What was the point of the dianoga in ANH? Or the wampa or that asteroid cave worm in ESB? Or the Sarlacc and Ewoks in ROTJ?
>>
>>81892014
I don't even care that she's a girl main protag. But she is so poorly written she comes off as bad fan fiction.
>>
>>81890915
I don't like that it's still taking place in the same fucking era. I wanted 7 to be set 100 years from ROTJ. new characters, new bad guys. it can still take the same story beats from OT for all I care, I just want a completely NEW Star Wars.
>>
>>81890915
it's wholly uncreative
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 429x563px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 429x563px
>>81898594
>>
>>81897540
>>81898769
>Why were Finn and Poe such good friends when they met? They had spent a total of five minutes together, with four of them consisting of Poe doubting Finn's abilites.
Were they good friends? They had a mutual goal of escape.

>What was the point of Luke making it so hard to find him and why did R2D2 wake up at such a convenient time of the story?
I don't suppose Luke wanted to be found, and Artoo reacted to the map chip thing.

>Why is the Empire still building death stars with massive weak points?
They had to blow it from the inside before they could even hit it from the surface, dude.

>Why is Hux leading the New Order when he looks like he's in High School? Surely there is someone with more experience than him around.
That's just you being a cunt.

>What is the point of Maz? They say she's some pirate but why would someone like that be of value to a jedi like Luke?
Why wouldn't she? Obi-Wan befriended the owner of a diner who for some reason recognized Kaminoan darts.

>Is Luke really that indifferent to the galaxy that he's willing to let four planets blow up rather than intervene himself?
I don't think he expected that any more than Obi-Wan did. He's probably depressed anyway, that's going to just make it worse.

>Why was the Millenium Falcon so conveniently placed there? Did someone forget to take the car keys?
Who's going to fly that piece of junk?

>Why does Snoke insist on looking like a Playstation character?
That's you being a cunt again.
>>
>>81896753
TFA. I went into both with zero expectations. One was entertaining. The other was a lesson o.why diversity matters.
>>
File: thispussygrabsback.jpg (90KB, 432x610px) Image search: [Google]
thispussygrabsback.jpg
90KB, 432x610px
>>81890915

I'm just glad the white male is at the back where he belongs, the future is female after all.

#Herstory
>>
>>81896753
TFA. Was hyped for both, JW was a let down but it had it's entertaining moments I thought with some good songs from the soundtrack. With TFA I was just bored and whenever I wasn't I was cringing at the self awareness and callbacks.
>>
>>81891321
>Not long before Hollywood collapses

Keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>81890915
Because im in my 20s and I grew out child films like this and cape shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (261KB, 600x827px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261KB, 600x827px
>>81891773
>>stormtrooper designs were meh
What is up with the duckfaces? The nu troopers should be taking selfies in bikinis.
>>
>>81895537
>triggered
>>
>>81899038
He's hispanic you racist shitbag
>>
File: image.jpg (333KB, 601x2321px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333KB, 601x2321px
>Supreme Leader Snoke
How will they follow this up?
>>
>>81890915
I don't mind it, but my bro hates it so much because it's just a retread of ANH.
>>
My dad, who saw the original Star Wars in the theater when he was 6, summed it up best:

"Who cares? The story ended at Episode 6. Why do we need these new characters and bring back the Empire? Dragging it out like this, especially with uninteresting characters, is really annoying. I'm sick of Star Wars already."
>>
>>81890915

Casting rey was a mistake

Also the girl got like a hundred bucks for the role

Disney are just jews on steroids
>>
It wasn't just that it was filled with nostalgia pandering, it also seemed like JJ was constantly trying to 1-up the original trilogy.
Ex:
>The orange alien is older than Yoda
>Starkiller base is larger than both Death Stars
>Rey is the true chosen one (not confirmed, but it sure seems like that's where they are going)
There's probably more I'm forgetting.
>>
>>81898918
No. At the end of the movie, after only knowing each other for five minutes. They're practically long lost friends. It's shit writing. There's no development between them. Finn wanted out, Poe wanted him to help retrieve the map because as Poe said it, It's more important than anything. Which logically makes no sense since Luke was there earlier when Snoke took it all down and he didn't make any difference then, what's finding him supposed to do now? But whatever.

So they crash, Poe Magically disappears. Finn doesn't care, so whatever. Forty minutes later, they see each other, "Hey my Long lost friend, I missed you."

I hate the force awakens, so much.
>>
>>81890915
1) Rey was annoying because within 5 minutes of interaction with ANY character she's instantly liked and trusted, with absolute zero effort. It's annoying to see she doesn't have to do anything to earn people's trust, hated the Leia hug scene and how she instantly was in tune with Han Solo. She also knows things she shouldn't have known by then. She's an annoying Mary Sue.

2) Kylo Ren (and by extension The Order) makes a laughable villain. Couldn't help but chuckle at the whole Not-Nazi speech by The Order. Kylo throws tantrums at the slightest inconvenience and 5 minutes into his introduction and he lost all the credibility of being a villain I could take seriously. If the Reylos are right and he was never being presented as a villain but a love interest, they better make him grow out of being a creep or else it'll be cringey.

3) Most characters are pretty forgettable and only Poe and Han stood out. Rey, Finn, Kylo and everyone else lacks charisma to carry the movie. It felt like it relied too much on nostalgia to keep people interested.

I don't completely dislike it, but it could have been much better. Most of my problems are related to Rey and her being an annoying protagonist.
>>
>>81890915

It just felt so.......blah. I mean, like Ill eat crackers, I guess you could say I like crackers, but they're bland and boring and Id rather have a real meal. You can give me fun colored crackers in neat shapes, still just crackers though.
>>
>>81890915
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 236x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 236x313px
>>81901525
>At the end of the movie, after only knowing each other for five minutes. They're practically long lost friends. It's shit writing.
That's a good point. I wonder how the scene of Poe and FN in the TIE would have been improved with a little extra time. They could have built up a lot of suspense over Jakku while telling us something about the planet.
>>
>>81901713
Don't forget, POE and Finn were not at all, mates.Because Poe wanted out and Finn wanted him to stay. They Crash, and then Poe disappears. Finn doesn't care, forty minutes later. HEY MY BUDDY, MY GREAT FRIEND

Why was this movie made
>>
>>81890915

I agree with you pretty much completely, anon.

Well done.

It was fun but at the same time meh.
>>
A wasted opportunity that instead gave us a remake of ANH with a Mary Sue protagonist.
>>
>Faggoty millenial smark MCU quips and one liners
>Any avenue for an interesting story to tell handwaved away to reset things to status quo
>Rey pulling force powers out her ass like a Japanese superhero gaining a new attack
>I hated JJTrek too
>Just a pointless pastiche
>>
>>81901944
The pacing was terrible, alright.

Han becomes Rey's fatherly figure in like 5 minutes.

Poe and Finn become best buddies in 5 minutes.

Kylo develops a crush on Rey within 5 minutes of meeting her.

Finn decides he wants to fight and save a girl he barely knows within a couple of days of meeting her.

After Han dies, Leia runs to Rey for comfort as if she was some old friend despite knowing her.... 5 minutes ago.

And now Rey supposedly hates Kylo for killing Han, a man she knew for a couple of days at best. Did anybody even told her Kylo is his son? How did she knew that?

There was absolutely no build up for relationships in this movie. Everyone magically becomes best buddies or whatever the plot needs them to be. It's why there's no real weight to anything.
>>
>>81901847
Rey could have been a believable Protagonist if they kept her from ALL Things force Related until the Second MOVIE. Rey, Finn and POE should have found each other, Then they find Luke, then Han, then Leia then battle, Han and chewie dies in the falcon fighting off ships and Luke Rey and Finn take on Kylo and troops.
>>
>>81902160
Carrie Fisher wouldn't be alive by then, probably.
>>
>>81890915
>People who DIDN'T like The Force Awakens, why didn't you like it?
>The trooper who wipes blood on Finn's helmet was one of Finn's best friends (and probably only friend) so him dying caused a grave stress on Finn that when he begins to run from the battle, he is confronted with a poor innocent woman from the village. He decides to let her go and live after aiming his gun at her for a few moments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvKbOF78s_E

>Rey used flight simulators on Jakku hence why she is able to fly the falcon so well

>Snoke slowly seduces Kylo to the dark side, first getting into Kylo's mind while he is training at Luke's Academy

>When Kylo meets Rey for the first time. He senses something that makes him think he knows her very well

>Finn is forced to chuck his gun aside when storm troopers ambush him, Chewie, Han and Maz down under Maz's Castle, thus explaining the plot hole in the next scene why he asks Maz for a weapon when they reach the surface
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3G2hkn278

>Leia talking to Korr Sella scene cut out (why when we see Korr Sella on the planet that Kylo Ren's starkiller base laser destroys, thus making her just a random person so why keep her in the movie at all if you are to remove an important scene between her and Leia?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rDhP-pOSYs

WHY are these scenes deleted and not in the movie? You can find these in the novel i.e. screenplay yet JJ decides to cut these out...
>>
>>81902150
It's as if they wanted to compress three movies into one movie. No one has any development. It's all, stick and go. Where ever the crap stick, go with it. And the worse bit must be when the Dumber Death Star Blows up planets, In a system LIGHT YEARS AWAY, Finn Looks up as it happens and sees it.

aahahahahahahahahahahahawhahahawhahahahahahahahahahahahahawhah

No. NO, What the hell Were They THINKING!
?!
>>
>>81902212
But that's what bothers me the most. We'll never get to see the three of them together again. I hate it all! They not only dropped the ball but they burnt the hoops and stabbed the ball to death.
>>
>>81891640
100 percent This.
>>
>>81902272
>No one has any development
Believe me, the original cut of the movie was better. See
>>81902236
The original cut is 30 minutes longer.

Fucking JJ for only caring about action scenes
>>
>>81902323
It still doesn't explain Rey, or why Kylo slaughtered everyone instead of mind probing them. Still doesn't explain How Finn could see an event light years away, In real time. Or how the orange Yoda rip off got her hands on Anakin's saber that fell on a gas giant. And nothing is more of a FU to the viewers than, "That's a story best left for another time."

And the dumb Yoda rip off says, HAN. Literally putting him in danger. And that ghastly thing is supposed to be wise?
>>
>>81902392
Also, even if Rey did practice with flight simulators (how did she even got her hands in one of those if she can barely afford a meal for herself anyway?), that doesn't explain why she has godlike mechanical knowledge of how the falcon works, despite it being stolen and possessed by different people at different times and being difficult for her to get her hands on it.
>>
>>81891108

>fanf

Pretty much this. I was excited to see it but felt nothing when watching it.
>>
People who made TFA forgets that the original star wars were literally space westerns with thousands of references to old kino movies
>>
I need a KOTOR movie or a series in live action

i dont care anything about of the new trilogy in this point
>>
>>81902613
Not only that, The Falcon was a Custom Put together Freighter. So there's literally nothing like it, anywhere. And yet she flies it, in a dog fight, in the innards of a ship with multiple ways to die and she successfully avoids everyone. Even Anakin, who only ever managed to use Prescience the very same thing Luke used to aide him in timing when to pull the trigger, but even if she had the foresight of Prescience to aide in avoiding calamity, Anakin who had it, had to train and practice for a long time and up until the events of TPM, even with Prescience, he had never managed to finish a race. Rey's using the Falcon, knowing everything about it, and flying it better than Han ever did.
>>
>>81902323
I just can't buy that a piss poor girl stuck in a planet with next to no resources can know so much, specially when she's depicted to be a loner. How does she knows so many alien languages? How does she has so many skills? Unless they explain she's some sort of freak experiment there's no way she can know things instantly when she spent her whole life in a junkyard desert.
>>
Rey being great wasn't a major issue. It's just Kylo sucked so much. His first scene he starts threatening and strong. Then from Poe's first quip he is diminished every single time he he on screen.

He has a hissy fit.
He loses a mind battle to a noob
He's emotionally all over the place
He gets shot

By the time we get to the climax of the fight Kylo Ren isn't a threatening character. He's a little bitch. This is a terrible way to present your villain. He's going through the heroes journey but in reverse.

And he's the only character that changes at all. Everyone stays the same. No growth.
>>
The bad:
> Poe is effectively killed and comes back just because Oscar Isaac is just that charming and likable, not for an in-universe reason that makes sense
> Third act is just a retread of the trench run, with some Empire thrown in
> Jakku isn't visually distinct enough from Tatooine
> Finn and Rey have very little chemistry together
> Starkiller Base is the stupidest thing in Star Wars since the second Death Star, and everything associated with it wrecked the movie
> Giving Kylo Ren a stupid triple-bladed saber instead of something that didn't look like it got shat out by a bored Hasbro executive at lunch
> Rey needed a decent character flaw other than naivety (which isn't really a character flaw)
> Maz Kanata being a cartoon character instead of a practical effect like literally every other alien in the movie
> New vehicles look too much like the old ones
> Leia showing up midway through the film, instead of at the very end, bringing up awkward questions
> Music by John Williams was clearly rushed
> Overall retarded names (Rey and Finn are acceptable, the rest give Waru a run for his money)

The good:
> Literally everything else

To specify:
> Cinematography was competent and interesting
> Acting was good (even Harrison Ford, who seemed like he gave a shit for the first time since 1980)
> Oscar Isaac
> Bad parts were lampshaded (like the scene planning the attack on Starkiller Base, where they openly complain about it)
> Dialogue outside of anachronisms like "droid please" was snappy and was written by a human being instead of a block of cheese like the PT or OT
> Emotional, story-driven lightsaber battles, instead of flashy dances
> No romance
> Great set pieces
> Characters were well defined and likable
> Special effects were solid
> Great little touches, like Rey's almost completely dialogue-less intro
> Clearly made with love

Overall, it's a 7/10, which makes it better than all but Empire and A New Hope.
>>
>>81902703
i'm still banking on the ol "former jedi academy student mind wiped" theory and she's slowly regaining her memories. but if not then who the fuck knows how
>>
File: KOTOR movie.png (3MB, 2453x1661px) Image search: [Google]
KOTOR movie.png
3MB, 2453x1661px
>>81902695
>>
The movie was boring and I honestly didnt care for any of the new characters. Rey started kicking ass just out of the blue.
>>
>>81902723
Rey pulling a saber from Kylo wasn't an issue for you? You realize she didn't believe in the force and no one at all taught her how to use it or what it felt like. Yoda told Luke how to access the force he even told him how it felt. Rey, without knowing what it feels like or how to access it or how to use it to amplify her own strength, uses, Master level abilities she had no business using. The greatest insult is when Kylo, who could freeze bolts in mid air, using telepathy on her and she reverses it. That'd be like some guy in Judo putting a no body in a hold and have them reverse it.

You cannot excuse that shit writing. didn't you notice all the guys in this movie sucked ass, it's as if they intentionally made the guys incompetent.
>>
It's not even worth explaining
>>
>>81902801
> Finn and Rey have very little chemistry together
This. I hope it's true and Finn gets with the asian chick next movie, because there wasn't any reason for them to be together. They had nothing in common.

> Rey needed a decent character flaw other than naivety (which isn't really a character flaw)
Her flaw was supposedly being hotheaded, but it isn't really a flaw when it doesn't bring her any problems.
>>
>>81902942
> didn't even believe in the jedi or the force
> 5 minutes later, pulls jedi mind tricks she didn't even knew were possible
> outclasses Kylo despite the former having years of experience using the force
Who wrote this mary sue crap
>>
>>81903082
They wanted her to be their newest awesome Tiara princess by the time Credits Rolled. Disney's never done a Princess trilogy before. This was their first. Rey had to have her magical powers by the third act otherwise she couldn't be their newest power girl if she was still a novice.

Luke on the other hand was a novice until Return, as was Anakin in Revenge.
>>
>>81903149
That sucks though, the most interesting part of trilogies is watching characters grow. It wouldn't bother me if Rey became a badass later through hard work and training, but having her kicking ass from day 1 leaves little room for growth. They either step up their game or she'll be very boring in the upcoming movies.

At least characters like Finn or Kylo have room for development, since they start very flawed. Rey is already a perfect pilot/force user/warrior, so you don't have much reasons to be excited to see her again in the next movie.
>>
>>81902695
>female Revan
>girl power hour with Revan, Bastilla and Mission
>Bland Solo is a man in distress
>HK is quipbot 8000000
>>
>>81903267
As Horribly written as Poe and Finn is, and they're terribly written and near incompetent in parts of the movie, They're more real than Rey ever could be. Had they taken their time and by the third act of the Second movie made her something of a bad ass, well, that would have been awesome.
The only comparison I can think of is having Neo with all the powers he has by the third act of Revolutions, only he has all that by the second act of the first movie.
>>
>>81891249
Finn had more potential than any of the new characters and his actor seems like he has the chops to carry a more complex character. Instead they wasted it by having Finn immediately get over his Stormtrooper backstory and lifelong brainwashing and become Rey's goofy yes man.

I can only hope, since Finn appears to have an important plot in TLJ that's rather separate from Rey, that some of the elements that should have been there in the first place will come into play in his arc.
>>
>>81902801
Finn and Rey are not and were never meant to be love interests. As friends they have fine chemistry.

As for Kylo's saber, I can't be too mad at it. They did actually give it a canon explanation that very much fits his character. They could have just never explained it and gone by rule of cool.

Also, why is no romance good? Every single Star Wars has had romance. It's a fucking space opera. This is the same bullshit as people saying they don't want bad guys to be redeemed anymore when Star Wars' main theme is redemption and good triumphing over evil in a way that's not just hacking and slashing at it.
>>
File: 1451365378250.jpg (19KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1451365378250.jpg
19KB, 306x306px
>>81890915
>Who cares about what happened since Return of the Jedi, the """new""" characters and story are what is important!
>>
it would be good if i haven't seen Star Wars, but that shit came out like 50 years ago and we've all seen it so it just seemed like a remake to me
>>
The Starkiller base should not exist
>>
>>81892036
Jew jew said it was meant to stand on its own. I don't know how he can say that when there are flashbacks to Rey's past and tons of unexplained loose ends.
>>
>>81891321
It won't just be money. The lack of originality is a major sign of cultural and societal collapse imo.
>>
>>81902695

it would be a disney kotor movie though
>>
>>81891747
That hits it real well.
>>
>Episode 7
>everyone is old as shit
>last hurrah for Leia, Luke, and Han
>don't put them in a scene together
>kill off Han
>Leia IRL dead

idiots screwed everyone
>>
>>81895432
Brits are hideous creatures so maybe on your inbred island that's true.
>>
>>81890915
Please stop with the deathstars already, GOD
>>
>>81891522
/thread

Listen to him, kids.
>>
Mediocre film with terrible pandering and toy selling
I don't think it's straight out awful like Rogue One was but this whole Star Wars rebirth is just awful commercialism bullshit
>>
>>81892856
All these assumed genders!
>>
>>81894106
>i'm in the minority but i actually liked finn
Every body liked him though.
When the film came out, even /tv/ wouldn't shut the fuck up about how Finn was the best part and how they were wrong
>>
>>81890915
Because processing the audio and visual information that the film outputs did not lead to enjoyment.
>>
I know everyone likes to shit on the prequels, and I'm not going to pretend they're good movies, but they're entertaining.
I can sit down and watch any of them, even AOTC and still enjoy it.
I didn't enjoy this at all. And not because I'm some /pol/ faggot or whatever other ad hominems/strawmen shills love to use. It just wasn't good. The story falls flat halfway through and Rey being able to slap everyone's shit immediately pulls the viewer out of the fucking movie. It's not good. Period.
As for Ep. 8, we'll have to see. I honestly doubt it could be worse than fucking 7.
>>
>>81906338
IM NOT EVEN BRITISH
DAISY IS A CUTE
A CUTE!!!!!!!!
>>
>>81906665
This
Finn is easily the only worthwhile character, even if he has some at best questionable writing.
What does that say about the movie though that a character who has so many glaring issues in the writing is still the best one
Im definitely a TFA hater but even i was so frustrated with the whole BUT HES A BLACK STORMTROOPER whining when the trailer dropped
>>
>>81890915
>The most common complaint is that "The Force Awakens" basically repeats "A New Hope"
this.
this is the main reason.
>>
>>81890915

Repeats ANH, nothing special or memorable about it yet. Pure set up, with contrived 'we'll talk about it later'.

Pilot guy is old a background character but he's over promoted. Black guy is full retard, we don't get adequate exploration of what he REALLY knows about the base to lead them back in, we'd need more information about how he came to be a ST. Was it bred for this, child slavery/indoctrination? He couldn't have been a loyalist when he signed up, since he freaked in his first battle.

Rey is a convenience and contrivance machine. Not that SW wasn't that to begin with, it just makes most feats 'meh'.

The events of TFA should have been the second movie, the first should have been background establishment.

Other issues that annoyed me were the extreme marketing machine all over the place, merchandise and logo plastered on fucking everything.
>>
It's quite a poorly made film
>>
>>81890915
The thing that bothered me the most is that it was basically Finn's story up until Rey gets kidnapped, then it just switches to her for pretty much the rest of the film, and Finn's competency is suddenly dragged through the mud.
Pre-kidnapping, Finn is the instigator of plot, being there during the opening sequence, then helping poe escape, then once he finds BB8, spends a good bit of the film communicating with him, as he's basically been tasked with getting the droid to the Republic. When the order shows up, he's basically the one directing what to do. At this point it seems like Finn is the MC Luke character, and Rey is the tagalong token "cool" character, i.e. han. Poe seems to be the "inconsequential macguffin char" i.e. leia.
That's all well and good.
Then han and chewy show up, but their role isn't really the same, it's pretty obvious that, if anything, he's being the mentor archetype.
They go to the planet, the order finds them, awesome battle happens, Finn even uses a lightsaber, and you have the tension of "traitor!" You really get the sense that this is Finn's story. The fight against the order IS Finn's story.

Then Rey is kidnapped.
All of a sudden Kylo is soooo fascinated with her. And She uses jedi powers. And she breaks herself out. And she has to go save Finn in the end. By suddenly outperforming a guy who she by all rights should have been trying to escape from, not beat down.
In the meanwhile, Finn is only on the mission to rescue her because he was a literal garbage man before his first mission with the order.
On said mission, he basically gets nothing right, stuffs his boss into a garbage shoot (which in turn basically turned the token badass of the badguys into comedy relief) doesn't really manage to do much of anything until it's time to escape once rey finds them (not vice versa) and then when he DOES escape, he uses the lightsaber again, only to get his ass kicked.
The entire second half was "You liked finn? Fuck you"
>>
File: IMG_9116.png (2MB, 1024x694px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9116.png
2MB, 1024x694px
>japs think poe is in love with rey
>also think rey is han's daughter

wew. what movie did they watch??
>>
File: IMG_0014.jpg (27KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0014.jpg
27KB, 236x354px
>>81906338
Take it back you stupid fucker
>>
>>81890915
>why didn't you like it?
first act was kino, I liked the characters too, but it fell completely apart in the third act.

the main storyline doesn't interest me at all. black kid & bro pilot's space adventures with han & chewie would've made a kickass movie though.
>>
>>81906911
What the fuck
>>
>>81902305
>But that's what bothers me the most. We'll never get to see the three of them together again.
Do we have to? Other than masturbatory material for emotionally stunted adults, what would it really add to the story? Goddamn it, fans have become so unbearable and entitled these days. Worst of all, you have studios that pander to them (like Marvel) which further contributes to the death of cinema.
>>
File: IMG_9124.jpg (95KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9124.jpg
95KB, 600x600px
fan artists love kylo but draw him handsome even when he's not. is this what girls see when they look at adam driver? what the fuck?
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.