[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't critics like post-ToL Malick? Is he too pure white

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1351996533447.gif (3MB, 271x261px) Image search: [Google]
1351996533447.gif
3MB, 271x261px
Why don't critics like post-ToL Malick? Is he too pure white Christian for them?
>>
>>81827257
I think it's probably more the making unscripted movies about his not-very-interesting private life thing.
>>
>>81828495
>not-very-interesting private life
It's more interesting than mine
>>
>>81827257
he went to shit post TRL actually
>>
>>81827257
>inb4 anon posts some critics ''reviews'' with very long words and flowery nonsense in order to cause cognitive disonance to anyone unfamiliar with malicks recent filmography to make them believe they are good films.
>>
>>81829114
The main theme of Malick's films on spiritual dematerialism is not eschatological, but a phenomenological ontology. Thus he implies that we have to choose between predialectic construction and deconstructivist neodialectic theory, essentially Heideggerian as seen in the concept of Dasein. The subject is interpolated then into a cinematic dematerialism that includes spirituality as a whole. But if the Kierkegaardian worldview holds, we have to choose between the cultural paradigm of expression and atomism. In Malick's own "The Concept of Horizon in Husserl and Heidegger" he says that "dread marks the ‘collapse of the world’”. Inherent in this is how the function of Lebenswelt (translated by Malick as "world of life") operates in all his films, chiefly in Days of Heaven and The Tree of Life. We see a phenomenological approach to the world showing a cinematic logic that presupposes a strucutral constraint in rootedness, another intentionality central to his filmography and philosophy. Because "metaphysical comfort" is not an object of temporality per se, but rather an aspect of automatic condition, as suggested by Cavell. Hermeneutic interpretations are also apparent in his post-hiatus movies; in fact the interchangeable subjectivities are but another representation of Husserl's and Wittgenstein's "form of life". As his academic hero Heidegger succintly noted, "freedom is the ‘abyss’ of Dasein, its groundless or absent ground". This is essentially the thesis operating in Malick's films.
>>
idk all i know is that To The Wonder made me really want to fall in love with someone. That's something right?
>>
>>81829242
You should watch Song to Song
>>
File: malick.jpg (89KB, 640x968px) Image search: [Google]
malick.jpg
89KB, 640x968px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Malick

Terrence Frederick Malick (/ˈmælJk/; born November 30, 1943)[1] is an American film director, screenwriter and producer.

Terrence Malick was born in Ottawa, Illinois.[3][4] He is the son of Irene (née Thompson; 1912–2011)[5] and Emil A. Malick (1917–2013),[6] a geologist.[7] His paternal grandparents were Assyrian Christian immigrants from Urmia, Iran.

Malick received a A.B. in philosophy from Harvard College, graduating summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa in 1965. He did graduate work at Magdalen College, Oxford, as a Rhodes Scholar. After a disagreement with his advisor, Gilbert Ryle, over his thesis on the concept of world in Kierkegaard, Heidegger, and Wittgenstein, Malick left Oxford without a degree.[14] In 1969, Northwestern University Press published Malick's translation of Heidegger's Vom Wesen des Grundes as The Essence of Reasons.

After returning to the United States, Malick taught philosophy at Massachusetts Institute of Technology while freelancing as a journalist.

Malick started his film career after earning an MFA from the AFI Conservatory in 1969, directing the short film Lanton Mills.
>>
>>81829302
thats the movie that OP's gif is from right? because if so i am all in
>>
>>81829345
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_%28name%29

Malik, Malick or Malík is a given name and surname. It can be an Anglicization of two different Arabic names: مَالِك, meaning "Owner", and مَلِك, meaning 'King". It is also of unrelated West Slavic origin from the Polish word "mały" meaning "small" and found in Czech and Slovak names such as Malík
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.