[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's actually wrong with the Harry Potter series? There

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 12

File: 9SvnuNN.jpg (90KB, 540x765px) Image search: [Google]
9SvnuNN.jpg
90KB, 540x765px
So what's actually wrong with the Harry Potter series? There are always complaints about it here and there's that autistic copypasta, but what's actually WRONG with the series? It's an all-ages franchise that grew in maturity with its younger audience. What's the problem?
>>
>>81743340
I like the books

the films on the other hand are boring, long and plain
>>
nothing. Great children's movies.
>>
File: 1483812527694.jpg (109KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1483812527694.jpg
109KB, 612x612px
>>81743441
>the films on the other hand are boring, long and plain
How so? I also loved the books but I also loved the movies. I know they cut out a lot of lore and characters, but that's the nature of the adaptation beast. All in all I think they handled it very well and in some cases improved on the source material. Snape is a much better character in the movies and HBP has a better climax IMO, ditching the needless battle inside Hogwarts that distracts from the moment. They did make Hermione way too perfect at the expense of Harry and Ron's characters/development, but I can look past that.
>>
>It's an all-ages franchise that grew in maturity with its younger audience
You're a child still if you believe that you infantilized adult
>>
Suffered a bit from "WE MUST GO DARKER"

I enjoyed the films but it felt only the early films really explored the magical world and then you had the shitty child acting.

I enjoyed Fantastic Beasts because it had the world exploration of the early films with actual decent acting.
>>
>>81743578
I don't know really why I think that.

But every time I try and watch it, I can't keep myself interested until the end. I know they're not bad
films especially if you compare them with other movie books like stormbraker and Percy Jackson
>>
>>81743340
It stopped being campy and the magical became an unmagical lightshow. Voldemort and Dumbledore's duel was pretty good, but from what I can recall 90% of the other duels looked like they were just carrying assault rifles loaded with STUPIFY magazines.
>>
File: 1482179030910.jpg (370KB, 1007x1278px) Image search: [Google]
1482179030910.jpg
370KB, 1007x1278px
You mean besides being the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises?

Well each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.
>>
>>81743591
>A cinderella story
>a monster is terrorizing the school
>a madman is loose and wants to kill Harry
>wizard-Hitler is back from the dead and using a deadly tournament to draw Harry in for the kill
>the corrupt government is interfering with education and ignoring wizard-Hitler while he gains power and kills people
>the wise old mentor and only wizard who could stop wizard-Hitler is killed and no place in the entire world is safe
>all-out war, death around every corner, beloved friends are killed, the concepts of death, life, morality and power are explored

>but they didn't mature at all

Get fucked, autismo.

>>81743774
That's true of every fantastical series. The magic and wonder always has diminishing returns. By the time we got to Return of the Jedi we had teddy bears and rehashed sword fights. By the time we got to Return of the King it's just slightly bigger set pieces and the wholly expected resolution. By the time we got to Fate of the Furious "family" is a drinking game for audiences and everything is boring.
>>
>>81743795
>reading fossils

no thanks
>>
I liked the first two more, I found the others quite gloomy. Also, a Dursleys spinoff would be awesome.
>>
>>81743847
>an old man with dementia only knows one thing with absolute certainty
>he hates children
How did that hack even have a job after reviewing a book that doesn't exist instead of reviewing Harry Potter?
>>
>>81744000
Its simple vocabulary, its straight-forward prose, its lack of ambiguity, its inability to let the reader interpret anything on their own, its childish sense of morality, its characters who can instantly be recognized as "bad" or "good" simply by their name, its lack of themes, its over-reliance on the whole "hurr adults r stoopid, am i rite?" motif, and its inability to do anything but coddle the reader and provide them with a petty sense of escapism.

That's what makes Harry Potter a children's series through and through.
>>
>>81744141
But you're objectively wrong. Half of your points are directly countered by Snape and the other half are intentionally obtuse buzzwords.
>>
>>81744000
yes they are very kino and mature. But all other emma watson movies are utter garbage, tumblr shitfests. I'm sure you won't sperg out and agree, because there is absolutely no connection, no childhood traumas you can't get over. None at all..
>>
File: lwxBSi.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
lwxBSi.gif
3MB, 400x300px
>the door to the chamber of secrets was a practical effect
Neat.
>>
>>81744223
The fuck? What do Emma Watson's other movies have to do with anything? What the fuck are you babbling about?
>>
>>81744303
nothing. I agree that harry potter is good. :)
>>
File: Severus_Snape_as_Headmaster.jpg (372KB, 2136x2850px) Image search: [Google]
Severus_Snape_as_Headmaster.jpg
372KB, 2136x2850px
Alan Rickman was the fucking best. In the books Snape being a decent guy was a real asspull. Rickman made the revelation feel very natural.
>>
>>81744257

You can see it at the studio tour, it's awesome.

Even more impressive is that the gringotts vault door was also a practical effect.
>>
>>81744622
>You can see it at the studio tour, it's awesome.
It happens very rarely though.
>>
I love Harry Potter. Books and movies. The fans are just really annoying. The Tumblr crowd if you catch my drift.
>>
File: marilyn-manson.png (140KB, 650x464px) Image search: [Google]
marilyn-manson.png
140KB, 650x464px
>>81744596
Now who's gonna star in the Year Zero series?
>>
>>81744596
He was told by Rowling early on iirc, so he could work it into his performance when the latest book out was still Goblet or something.
>>
>>81745273

All the concept stuff behind that album was fucking great, I want a big budget TV show of Year Zero.
>>
>>81745215
>The fans are just really annoying. The Tumblr crowd if you catch my drift.
That's only a vocal minority of the fanbase. Remember, Harry Potter was the biggest thing in the world for like 10 years. Most fans are normies, just based on the law of averages. Go to any of the Harry Potter worlds at the Universal parks and even most of the people dressed up in robes and shit are just regular people who love this particular thing a lot. The ones who sperg out are the same people who sperg out over Doctor Who and shit because they're sperglords.
>>81745376
That was just a rumor that Rickman himself debunked. All Rowling told him was that there was more to Snape than what was on the page when they started casting the movies.
>>
>>81745273
I never would have noticed how similar they look.
>>
File: alder_093014_zoom.jpg (48KB, 650x390px) Image search: [Google]
alder_093014_zoom.jpg
48KB, 650x390px
What kind of wand would you want?
>>
File: alder050615_zoom.jpg (53KB, 650x390px) Image search: [Google]
alder050615_zoom.jpg
53KB, 650x390px
>>
>>81743340
>all-ages franchise
no its not. its 100% written for kids and mentally challenged people
>>
>>81744257
holy shit do you mean to tell me that they built a FUCKING DOOR? wow, thats neat
>>
File: wand.png (117KB, 338x344px) Image search: [Google]
wand.png
117KB, 338x344px
>>81746539

just mine

>>81743340

Personally I feel the series needed more consistency, some of the films leave some worldbuilding and characters from the books in exchange for nothing, or filler that felt just pointless, it's what made the third film so great, the whole world felt more lived in and all the things thrown in that weren't originally in the book fit perfectly and made it more complete.

>>81747780

I had no idea, that looks fucking great.
>>
File: birch010616_zoom.jpg (56KB, 650x390px) Image search: [Google]
birch010616_zoom.jpg
56KB, 650x390px
>>81747780
>hurr i'll pretend its just a bathroom door durr
>>81747962
>dat classic Pottermore
>>
>>81743591
You're talking about star wars, right?
>>
File: cherry010615_zoom.jpg (45KB, 650x390px) Image search: [Google]
cherry010615_zoom.jpg
45KB, 650x390px
>>
I think the first couple of films are great, but then comes PoA and everything just seems to change direction. Maybe it's the change of director but they just seem to become teenager movies with magic instead of thoughtful adoptions,
>>
File: eucalyptus020415_zoom.jpg (51KB, 650x390px) Image search: [Google]
eucalyptus020415_zoom.jpg
51KB, 650x390px
>>81748689
The tone of the books changed. The only thing different about the movies from 1& 2 to 3 was the visual style, which felt less magical in 3 and after.
>>
>>81743340
The first four films were fine, five was boring as fuck, then it just became self indulgent.
>>
>>81748995
>HBP isn't good
I hope someone rapes you.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.