[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't there more well made, big budget Christian films?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: passion-of-the-christ-sequel.jpg (358KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
passion-of-the-christ-sequel.jpg
358KB, 1440x960px
Why aren't there more well made, big budget Christian films?

Jesus films always seem to make a ton of money so you'd think Hollywood would release more.
>>
File: 9e9845053254.gif (494KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
9e9845053254.gif
494KB, 500x259px
>>81712114
>>
It's difficult for schizophrenics to see their projects until the end.
>>
>>81712114

christian films don't make that much money anymore.

they make a ton of them. god's not dead 1 & 2, all those kirk gibson movies, etc.

granted they're not very high budget usually but we live in a secular society. passion of the christ caught lightning in a bottle and had entire church congregations all over the world watching a jew get tortured for 2 hours. not really something they can repeat at will.
>>
>>81712114
Because if you do it wrong a million different Christian groups can and will raise a big stink about it
>>
>>81712342

errr, kirk cameron, not kirk gibson. my bad.
>>
>>81712342
>god's not dead 1 & 2, all those kirk gibson movies, etc.
American evangelical Christianity was a mistake
>>
Jews run Hollywood
>>
Didn't Ben Hur totally bomb last year?
I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to remake Ben Hur anyways, but people don't seem to care about that kind of stuff anymore.
>>
File: ..jpg (62KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
62KB, 533x800px
>>81712535
>Ben Hur 2016
Production Budget: $100 million
Domestic: $26,410,477
Foreign: $67,650,834
Worldwide: $94,061,311

That domestic total.
>>
>>81712535

yeah you're right. it was a stupid idea to remake that for sure and it lost a lot of money.
>>
This is the logic that got last temptation of christ and jesus christ superstar made
>>
>>81712114

A Christian cinematic universe would be pretty cool to see.
>>
>>81712342
Basically this. There's actually a shitload of them but they're mostly low budget straight to video productions.
>>
id like to see some stories about all those first popes who were martyred
>>
>>81712114
Silence didn't do as good as it should have, and it was great.
>>
>>81712114
Only Catholics can make good films.

Protestcucks tend to be screeching pieces of shit who react to every criticism of Christianity and as such, can't make a good film about their religion.
>>
>>81712805
I would watch the fuck out of bibleshit cinema.

"Moses, Abraham and Matthew team up during the apocalypse to bring back Jesus for the second time, to destroy the armies of the antichrist."
>>
>>81712114
Because there's pretty much nothing worth making a movie about.
>>
The Bible has some of the best stories, characters, and arcs.

I would like to see a hard-R modern day telling of the book of Job, where Job is a really good guy who's got it made. Then a gang rapes and murders his kids, his business partner screws him and leaves him penniless, his house burns down and he is ruined. His wife and friends just give him shit, and he realizes how small and powerless he truly is.
Don't know how to do the whole "God speaks out of the whirlwind part" without it venturing into cheese-ville like so many God's Not Dead type movies. That's where so many Christian movies go wrong...They have no teeth and are almost completely irrelevant to most people...Which is exactly the opposite of the Bible and the gospel
>>
>>81713860
You have to be joking have you read the Bible? It's the most violent and sexual filled book inexistence. Almost any old testament story would make a great movie
>>
>>81713991
>old testament

Like I said, not much worth making a movie out of. Even so, plenty of the old testament is boring shit that would get no turn out.
>>
>>81712805
that would be pretty cool t b h, i really wanna see more epic biblekino like noah
>>
>>81714080
Like I said, have you even read it? There are hundreds of very good stories that could be made into well done, entertaining and powerful stories. And as for the boring stuff, why would they even put that stuff in? I don't think you're making a lot of sense
>>
>>81714101

Genesis should be entirely phase one. An entire movie of Jacob conning his retarded brother the MIB for soup, a movie about Adam and Eve being kicked out of Paradise, a movie about the flood, etc.

Exodus would be phase 2 and the Moses story would be the main nucleus that holds it together.
>>
>tfw you just watched the ten commandmsnts, ben hur, and king of kings
why is there no good bible kino anymore
>>
>>81714224
The Abraham-Isaac-Jacob arc, with Joseph in Egypt would be absolute gold
>>
>>81712114
Because it's hard to do a mass appeal religious films. If you make it mass appeal it'll water it down and you'll get some hacky as fuck shit like God's Not Dead.
If you genuinely want to explore the theological/philosophic depths that religion can evoke you'll end up with a film like Calvary, which is great but lacks the ability to be a widely marketed film.
>>
>>81714214
>There are hundreds of very good stories that could be made into well done, entertaining and powerful stories.

then why hasn't it been done faglord? Just because you find them to be interesting doesn't mean everyone would.

It's been years since I've read any of the bible, and for the most part I found it to be boring as shit, some old testament stuff was pretty good but it's a shit overall.
>>
any movies on Jesus growing up and performing miracles? Passion was too gruesome for me to finish.
>>
>>81714276

Hear me out on this one...Patrick Stewart as Herod.
>>
>>81714214
the bible was basically a collection of as many stories as could be found that were edited slightly to be about the christian god
>>
>>81714338
>then why hasn't it been done
That's what we are discussing in this thread. I think >>81714311 really nailed it. It's mass appeal vs keeping it pure. I think Mel Gibson has been self funding a lot, maybe that's the only way to do it.
>>
>>81714382
Pharoah you mean? I could see it

>>81714465
There's so much wrong in that I don't know where to start
>>
>>81714557

Pharoah was actually my second choice, how about Mark Hamil for Moses and Clancy Brown for Noah?
>>
I would like to see an adaption of that one bible story where the daughters get their father drunk and rape him so that they can keep the bloodline pure
>>
>>81713682
i ve been reading the bible, i never heard of a thing called anti-christ in it.
>>
>>81714666
Ch...ch..ecked.

With Sam Neill as Laban
>>
>>81714758
satan isn't in the bible?
>>
>>81714796

Sam Neil needs to be apart of this somehow.

What role could Heather Graham or Christina Hendricks play?

>>81714806

Lucifer is never mentioned or his rebellion against God if I remember correctly.
>>
>>81714989
Isaiah 14 starting at verse 12
>How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

>For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

>I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

>Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Many think Ezekiel 28 isalking about him too:
>Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

>Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
>>
>>81714989
>Heather Graham and Christina Hendricks
Plenty of whores in the OT. Probably a couple of ladies in Sodom
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.