[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think decent comedians have to downplay their wit in order

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Do you think decent comedians have to downplay their wit in order to help the hacky host "comedians" save face?
>>
>>81710518
Yeah, it's ridiculous what a black hole of humor Conan is. Nothing can escape his unfunnyness
>>
>>81710518
>bill burr
>witty
>>
>>81710518

I know this is false flag b8 to set up a jab at /pol/, but you're probably not wrong.

All late-night shows are far more scripted than they appear, including the guest segments. It's geared for marketing rather than genuine interviews.
>>
File: 1462838109113.png (433KB, 360x408px) Image search: [Google]
1462838109113.png
433KB, 360x408px
>>81710562
>it's a Louis CK and Ari Shaffir fan.
>>
>>81710562
>>81710630

All me
>>
>>81710518
Absolutely, the single most common problem with comedy, other than not being funny, is that audiences need to be spoon fed concepts because they're morons. Chris Rock has to explain his concepts, which are fairly complex as far as comedy goes, by going slow and repeating it over and over. "Women can't go down in status. WOMEN, CANNOT GO DOWN, IN STATUS!" And then he explains further and later repeats "They just can't do it!"

Seinfeld gets around this by talking everyday things, socks on the floor, finding your keys, airplane food. Louis CK gets around this by talking about how kids are draining and being a parent is hard.

General audiences are too stupid for high wire bits
>>
>>81710925
What does Bill do? I guess he has his religion bits every now and then, which have all pretty much been the same since Carlin.
>>
>>81710990
Have you ever listened to his podcast? It's all over the place, and touches on pretty much everything. In terms of stream of consciousness entertainment, it's pretty top notch.

>just his religion bits
even the most basic plebs know about his "reasons to hit women" bit.
>>
>>81710925
Absolutely. I think I've always had a decent sense of humor having been the class clown but it's only recently listening to comedians interact on the Opie & Anthony show archives that I feel I truly 'get' the craft of comedy
>>
>>81711075
Yeah but I'd say a "reason to hit a woman" bit is a bit of a harder sell than Louis talking about his kids and Seinfeld talking about airline food.
>>
>>81711164
But he sold the fuck out of it, and that's a taboo subject.

That's why I think he's a cut above the rest.
>>
>>81710630
I'm a big Louie fan, and I'm not into Bill Burr but I definitely get the appeal
>>
>>81711242

He's a bit like the old Chris Rock, Chappelle, and even Carlin in that regard in that he's willing to push boundaries. Still, Burr has the unfortunate tendency to occasionally go full old-Carlin and just rant instead of making a joke. Then again, most comedians do that today so it's nuffin special.
>>
File: Craig-Ferguson.jpg (32KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Craig-Ferguson.jpg
32KB, 300x400px
oh hello, just being the best late night talkshow host in history
you have fun with your rehearsed pre-planned discussions about talking points
>>
Burr isn't witty at all. Wit implies cleverness, Burr just doesn't give a fuck and says off-colour comments. Laughing because he's contravening social norms doesn't make him particularly funny.
>>
>>81712744
he's pretty quick actually. listen to his O&A stuff where he can talk freely.
>>
>>81712744
He has genuinely witty moments on the podcast
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.