[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This was way better than the David Lynch movie. >Didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

File: Dune-miniseries.jpg (32KB, 325x475px) Image search: [Google]
Dune-miniseries.jpg
32KB, 325x475px
This was way better than the David Lynch movie.
>Didn't skip half of the book
>The Duke Harkonnen is portrayed far better, a scheming glutton instead of a gross wierdo covered in warts
>The guy who played Liet-Kynes was based
>Chani shows her awesome tits
Agree or disagree?
>>
Too bad it was tv shit tier. Low budget actors and directing.
>>
The sets, costumes and effects are too laughable to take seriously
>>
>>81622841
The acting & direction were superb with Shakespearian gravitas and excellent use of color & lighting
>>81623018
The sets are huge and amazing, the costumes are very imaginative and the effects are fine unless you're just a Michael Bay viewer level pleb who thinks more cg & explosions makes something better.
>>
>>81622748
Worse Chani, Sting was a good Feyd Rautha
>>
>>81623705
Miniseries Chani is better and shows off her big tiddies unless and every other actor in the miniseries is better than the Lynch version with perhaps the exception of Dr. Yueh and I still really like the minseries version of Gurney Halleck though it's difficult to top Patrick Stewart.
>>
>>81622748
Best Dune is best.
>>
>>81623785
Yeah, Sean Young was not good but she was still hot. Gurney was criminally underused in Lynch Dune anyway. I don't remember Yueh in the miniseries but hard to beat Al. Brad Dourif was also great.

The best cast were in the worst roles in LynchDune.
>>
>>81623536
Alright kid
>>
>>81622748
No it wasn't.
/thread
>>
>>81623705
Feyd was supposed to be a plump dark-haired ME-looking teen. How is making him a skinny middle-aged ginger nordic man in rubber underpants good?
>>
>>81624043
Because portraying him as a better-in-every-way version of Paul as the "legitimate" Bene Geserit Kwisatz Haderach candidate is amazing.
>>
>>81624009
>putting /thread at the end your own comment
lurk more before posting newfag
>>
>>81624303
>calling someone a newfag
newfag
/thread
>>
Lynch movie comes off as a bad parody after seeing the miniseries.
>>
>>81622748
I liked it so much I bought the dvd...then again, I also bought the Lynch version too...
>>
>>81624508
I really like LynchDune but I'm not a bookfag. Lynch wasn't even tripping balls for Dune and I'm not sure he knew the source material at all, just aimed at kino and went for it. The end result I dunno, does the Third Stage improve on it or just make it more canon-y?
>>
>>81624508
>Baron has flesh eating disease
>my name is a killing sound bullshit
>rains on Arrakis at end making Muad'dib magic when he's not

You're right the movie is not Dune.
>>
>>
>>81624665
>Lynch version has some flaws
>So scifi shit doesn't

Deep thought anon
>>
>>81624043
>Plump

What? Did you read the book? He was described as basically otter mode.
>>
>>81625076
deep enough to fuck your mother
>>
Both adaptations are poor adaptations of the book.
>>
>>81625910
I don't get why it's so fucking hard. All the inner dialogue could either be spoken in thought, or just portrayed with body language. It's not even that long a book.
>>
>>81626022
Well voiceovers are basically not an option, that's the route Lynch went and those are the weakest parts. I wish there was less lore in that movie.
>>
>>81622748
>The Duke Harkonnen is portrayed far better, a scheming glutton instead of a gross wierdo covered in warts

Fuck you asshole, that sounds like me. Fuck you and fuck off. Go to hell, you fucking shitbag. Fuck you.
>>
>>81622748
My main complaints with the SciFi miniseries version, was the Mentats, Bene Gesserit, and Spacer's Guild were all poorly portrayed and fairly boring and generic. Lynch/DeLaurentis version was top-tier on the esoteric aspects of the universe. Also all-around, except for Kyle Machlachlan, the Lynch/DeLaurentis Dune had a way better cast (I did really like Ian McNeice as Harkonnen though, and McAvoy as Leto II was solid; same with the adult Alia actress). Irulan was also well cast in the SciFi version, and her character was used much better than the Lynch version.

I actually like both the SciFi Miniseries, and the Lynch/DeLaurentis adaptations, both for different reasons. I think the positive aspects of each when combined make a decent adaptation, and personally I don't care about nor look forward to future adaptations of the subject (as they will undoubtedly have disappointments).

The only thing I really dislike, is so far no adaptation has got the original Duncan's death properly. Lynch version was some slow bullshit screw gun, and SciFi was some bullshit missile attack. He goes out like a fucking boss in the novel, getting shanked in close-quarters combat holding off the Sardukar so Jessica and Paul can escape.
>>
>>81626022
>It's not even that long a book.
The paperback is like 900 pages.
>>
>>81626488
maybe if you get the large font, four eyes
>>
Dune should just be left the fuck alone. It's far too high brow for conventional consumer television and film.
>>
When reading the books I always thought the all blue eyes of the fremen or anyone with spice addiction meant that even the whites of the eyes where blue. I haven't watched the show or movies but it looks like they just gave the actors blue eyes. What gives?
>>
>>81627546
they glow blue in lynchdune, don't remember miniseries.
>>
>>81625076
>some flaws

lol
>>
File: dune06.jpg (12KB, 400x229px) Image search: [Google]
dune06.jpg
12KB, 400x229px
>>81627596
they use reflective blacklight sensitive contact lenses in the miniseries so they do glow but its more or less pronounced depending on the ambient lighting or what direction they're facing.
>>
File: AnFOj.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AnFOj.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
>>81626079
You look like this guy? Kek.
>>
>>81627715
that looks way better honestly, i bet the eyes in lynchdune cost thousands of man hours to roto
>>
>>81623785

>>and I still really like the minseries version of Gurney Halleck though it's difficult to top Patrick Stewart.

He's Hatchet Harry from Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
>>
>>
>>81627759

Not yet.

>>81626488

Fuck you asshole, it's a thick book, yeah, but it's more like 800 pages and it doesn't take a fucking Einstein to figure that out.
>>
>>81627715
>8:31

From what I remember in the book, it's all the freaking spice/melange (is it worm droppings) that saturates the air and food and everything on Aracis that make the fremens eyes blue.
>>
>>81628240
>mfw Stoneburner
>>
>>81622748
>it's more faithful to the books, therefore it's better

Hi, Stephen King.
>>
One of these days I'll go through 2000 miniseries for screen shots... i only have some Children of Dune screenies because it was the first to have a 1080p pirate rip released...2000 dune had no bluray and thus no HD rips apparently for ever until some time ago...downloaded sitting on my HD but who has the time
>>
>>81628328
That's correct, their "blue in bue" eyes is a side effect of consuming too much spice. Consuming even greater quantities would have the greater effect of mutating them like it has to the Guild Navigators.
>>
File: bane 4.jpg (62KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
bane 4.jpg
62KB, 1024x576px
Wrong, Lynch's Dune is much better and until this very day THE boldest blockbuster attempt ever. I unironically LOVE that film, bros. Matter fact, I find it a masterpiece and top-tier sci-fi accomplishment. I know Lynch himself hates it, but I think it's because of goddamn Hollyjew scumbags ruining the filmmaking process, and not because of the quality itself.

>the mesmerizing, god-tier score that gives the film a divine touch
>incredible, expensive-looking sets
>believable props
>dropdead gorgeous cinematography, especially the shots of the sea and desert
>calm and collected build-up and pacing
>stellar cast and beautiful ladies
>bizarre and wonderful at the same time (seriously, that first Harkonnens scene is borderline experimental)
>Lynch doesn't spoon-feed you to make it easy - we're dropped right into the middle of the big feud between major political forces with strange names and complicated alliances, there's so much mythos and weird gadgets thrown right into our face, Lynch demands attention and learning from us, there's no lasers, speeders and quips
>fucking sandworms, bros!
>Dune is about ecology, politics, philosophy, religion, masculinity, femininity, greed, heroes etc., and Lynch captured it perfectly
>the theater-style of acting focused on dramatics was fitting

Sure, some effects were cheap and laughable, but it's no biggie to me. I fucking LOVE Dune and the way Lynch made it all serious and challenging, and because it flopped and Hollywood hates it, I fear Legendary is going to pick the easy route with everything watered down for manchildren and tumblrinas. Why do people hate this film, fellas? It's beautiful.
>>
>>81626103
I think Lynch was onto something, but he went too crazy with shit like on-screen monologues and unnecessary changes. Not to mention movie had an insane budget that shouldn't even be put in the same category with the mini-series.
>>
>>81624786
only flaw was he only got an arm instead of going full wurm-guyver body suit
>>
>>81628349
>goes literally blind
>can still see because he needs to see
>>
>>81628614

Oh, i really wouldn't know that, i've never read the books or watched any of the movies, not even when the sci fi channel was showing Dune or their own version of Dune from the 2000s. But, uhhh, ask the albert einsteins who are like uber nerds about the books and movies and shit.

Besides, I can't really get into the Dune series, all the racist alt-right love reading Dune and talking about the alt-rightey-ness of the books.
>>
>>81629115
>alt right loves dune
huh? last I checked the alt-right isn't a fan of religious terrorists overthrowing the government?
>>
>>81622748
>>81626103
Lynch version= best for woldbuilding aspects and its own portrayel of the organization (mentat, ben gerest, etc)
Syfy= best for story and character development..

Combine both halves and you got a movie equal to the book
>>
>>81629115
Leave.
>>
>>81629216

https://altright.com/2016/03/02/donald-trumps-name-is-a-killing-word/

The alt-right can fucking go to hell and I really don't like those right wing shitbags. Of course, liberals personally hate my guts as well and are probably wishing that I end up in hell with the alt-rihgt. But whatever, I fucking hate the both of them.
>>
>>81622841
>>81623018
This. Too bad bookfags don't understand the logic that there's more to a movie adaptation than just being faithful.
>>
>>81629235
Yeah that is my general opinion on the Dune adaptations currently.
>>
>>81630578
I'm glad they appropriated your scifi book and made you mad. Nerds deserve nothing less than to have everything they enjoy appropriated by the alt-right
>>
>>81630802
I appropriated your mom, tough guy.
>>
>>81630802

No, it's all right that the alt-right loves the Dune books. My enemies who are 27 or 28 years old right now and who were born in 1989 turns out to be like uber nerdy about the Dune books and all that shit, especially when I thought one of their favorite books, The Anatomy of Depression as well as the works of Nietschey or Nichy, were the books they would read, like Einstein's favorite reading materials would be physics and the Manhatten experiment that made atom boms. Oh, my enemies are also like super liberals and shit and they got the Dune books for themselves but the alt right also loves those books. So I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>81622748
Of course. I liked it a lot too.
Ghani a cute, A CUTE!
>>
>>81632234

Since i'm not a uber nerd, Irulan's mother's name is Ghani? i thought it was Ghaneemah. also, i heard from the other nerds that the fremn give the water from the womb of their birth to the children to drink? Is that like the same thing as eating the placenta or something?
>>
File: barbora-kodetova-014.jpg (100KB, 1186x800px) Image search: [Google]
barbora-kodetova-014.jpg
100KB, 1186x800px
>>81632234
>Tell me about the waters of your homeworld, Muad'dib.
>>
>>81632454
>>81632454

Nadalac has plenty of water to grow rice.
>>
>>81626488
>>81628242
My paperback copy is just shy of 500 pages, not counting the appendices.
>>
Lynch Dune
>14 rewrites with Lynch working hand in hand with Herbert
>Raffaella DeLaurentiis repeatedly espoused her love for the book and desire to stay faithful to it and avoid executive meddling
>fuckhuge unheard of budget
>score done by Toto, coming off their multiple Grammy wins and massive multi platinum sales of TOTO IV, possibly one of the biggest bands in the world at the time, members Steve Lukather and David Paich have gone on record saying they are fans of the book.
>Lynch coming off the unexpected success of an uncharacteristically straightforward The Elephant Man

Really had everything going for it. I don't know what went wrong.
>>
>>81632985
Not as much as could have gone wrong, Most of what is claimed as bad about it comes from really awful critics. I never read any of the books but apparently they couldn't follow it at all. I'm not sure if there was some really shit theatrical release I haven't seen yet or what, it was a straightforward movie.
>>
>>81628614
Navigators being mutated by the Spice is an invention of the Lynch movie. In the book they were mutated as the result of hundreds of generations living their entire life in zero gravity. They're basically humans evolving into sea creatures.
>>
I've never watched anything Dune related besides the Jodorowsky documentary, where should I start? (besides the books)
>>
>>81633758
Yeah I can't blame them, if you watched Lynch's version without reading the book first you would have no clue what was going on
>>
>>81633758
As a book snob I always thought the costume and set design was completely off from what I had in my head.

Having so much of the sets and costumes in the first act probably threw everyone off when they saw it.
>>
>>81634017
By slitting your wrists.
>>
>>81634088
It's not laid out but the whole film makes pretty good sense from the context alone.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.