[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When normies say, "omg, anon! I love that director!"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: The-Revenant-4.jpg (1MB, 2000x1076px) Image search: [Google]
The-Revenant-4.jpg
1MB, 2000x1076px
When normies say, "omg, anon! I love that director!"

Are they actually referring to the cinematography of a film, the writing, or the actual directorial work?
>>
The works of cinematographer and writing are highly dependant on director though. Often times the director decides who these people are and what they do.
>>
>>81398971
They mean the entire movie as a whole.
source: I am a normie
>>
>>81398971
When "normies" refer to liking the director they usually don't think in those terms at all, most imes it along the lines of "I like T2 and Aliens and Titanic" therefore Cameron is my favorite director
>>
>>81399330
Yeah, but still, they have to like something about those 3 movies that made them like them so much to have Cameron be their favorite 'director.'

Nameen?
>>
>>81399465
normies don't dissect movies for those elements, you gotta understand that
They like the general feels, everything else is for movie buffs, critics, autists and people familiar with the craft
>>
>>81398971
That mean you are puffed up with conceit
>>
>>81399276
>I am a normie

Ree
>>
>>81398971
It means that they've seen multiple films from the same director and enjoyed them and are looking forward to whatever project that director puts their name on.
>>
>>81398971
They just like a certain directors filmography in general, they are not even aware of the execution of said filmmaking elements.

>"Nolan movies are so epic and deep, blews my mind everytime!"
>"Tarantino is my favorite, all of his movies are so cool and fresh and he just doesn't give a fuck!"

something like that
>>
File: 1479648049613.jpg (131KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1479648049613.jpg
131KB, 750x750px
Can you name a single movie that normies actually DO understand? Protip: I don't think you can.

Have you ever tried watching a movie with a normie? I don't know if it's hormonal or something, but their minds are literally unable to focus on anything.

Have you ever known a normie that had a deep and varied appreciation for any art? Digging around obscure music genres or old filmographies, just for the sake of it and love of the medium, not for potential social status and superficial validation?

When a cinephile watches a movie, he reflects on the themes and subtext, deconstruct the mise en scène and cinematography in order to analyze how the director's choices affect the mood and characters arcs, question the ethos it proposes about its subject matters, judge its authenticity, come up with a list of intertextual references that deepen his understanding, examine the narrative structure as if he were in the writer's head to get his creative process and where he's headed, all this while sensorially appreciating the aesthetics, marveling at the layers in dialogues and noticing many odd details, pondering how this film overall fits into its auteur's oeuvre, observing what it does similarly and what it does differently... as well as its place in film history, among many other active ways of studying and appreciating art... meanwhile normies can barely follow the plot.
>>
>>81399748
>just be yourself bro
>girls love confidence bro
>>
>>81398971
are all normies the same person, this thread is so stupid I don't know why it's on the front
>>
>>81399808
>are all normies the same person

Yeah pretty much.
They all have the same exact surface level taste and just watch whatever is the most popular TV show right now and that's it.
>>
>>81399808
"Normies" is the audience for whom movies is no more than just another form of entertainment.
Which is totally okay, but still, they don't have any appreciation for the art itself
>>
>>81398971
>cinematography of a film
what does this even mean
>>
>>81400042
The framing and composition of the frames of a film. And the lighting, camera operating and color grading.
>>
>>81400042
normie detected
>>
>>81398971
>When normies say, "omg, anon! I love that director!"
You're pretty stupid. They mean they like that director, and they like his work (the movies he makes).
>>
>>81398971
In my experience normies don't give a shit about the director. Most of them couldn't even tell you who directed their favorite movies. They watch things either because they like the actors or because it was hyped up by other normies on social media.
>>
If a normalfag says
>OMG I love that director!!"

They mean
>I like the movies they direct

that's all. Just surface level.
>>
Normies only know Michael Bay, James Cameron, Quentin Tarantino, Wes Anderson, and Steven Spielberg.

That's it. You might run into 1 or 2 who know Scorsese or Woody Allen, but good luck.
>>
>>81400634
Everybody knows Scorcese, but nobody knows Woody Allen (and if they do, they just know the persona, never the movies)
>>
>>81400688
they might know the name, but I doubt they could name a movie done by him that isn't The Departed.
>>
>>81398971

Normies only know George Lucas, Spielberg, Tarantino and Kubrick.
>>
>>81400756
>>81400634
>>81400688
Can you faggots just make a normie directors tier list already
>>
>>81400756
This, maybe Cameron too.
>>
>>81400962

What tiers besides normie would there be?

I can think of:
"I'm not a normie but I'm a quirky nerd tier" which would include shit like Wes Anderson movies, Amelie, Joss Whedon, etc.

"My tastes are better than yours but I'm really surface level and a pleb in denial and only have a minimal knowledge of cinema tier" would have such directors like: Bergman, Tarkovsky, Fellini, Sica, etc
>>
>>81398971
They are referring to that director's filmography.
>>
>>81400726
Wolf of Wall Street is well-known.
>>
>>81400756
You think way too highly of Normies if you think they know Kubrick

It's literally just Tarantino and Nolan
>>
>>81401358

Normies at least know The Shining but you're right, they probably don't know of Kubrick's other works other than he did a very famous science fiction movie.
>>
File: loa_21.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
loa_21.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
dialogue, story, visuals, philosophy, characters, character development, choreography, lighting, sound music, costume. as a normie that's what i can say.
>>
Why do normies love Star Wars so much?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.