[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of this do you think is self-insertion? Did Lynch get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: mulholland drive.png (3MB, 1916x1060px) Image search: [Google]
mulholland drive.png
3MB, 1916x1060px
How much of this do you think is self-insertion? Did Lynch get bullied by high-rank Hollywood pedobosses when trying to direct his movies?
>>
>>81381903
Well it certainly reflects reality in a dark nightmare sort of way.
>>
>>81381903
I think it's a jab at the directors that go along with it, not lynch. Reminds me of jew jew abrahams but he wasn't making movies yet.
>>
Listen to Roger Ebert and don't try to interpret this film.
>>
>>81382174
>don't try to interpret this film.
why? it's intentionally made to be interpreted. without analysis it's a broken mishmash of scenes, only when you start pulling the threads about the blue box/Diana counter Betty, it starts to make sense
>>
>>81382174

If ever there was a director that Ebert didn't get, it was Lynch.
>>
>>81382419
Doesn't mean it's going to make 100% reality sense cause Lynch always be making movies from his subconscious.
>>
>>81382490
Of course, a lot of stuff is nonsense (the magician, supernatural cowboy etc). I don't really try to look for "ooo what did the blue box REALLY mean??" because it's not meant to be a symbol for something rigid; it's just an otherwordly plot device.

However, if you don't start thinking about the ties between Betty and Diane, or Camilla and Rita, the movie is just nonsense.

The first part of the movie is Diane dreaming. This is the only thing that makes somewhat sense of the move. If you're looking for the true meaning of the homeless person etc you don't understand Lynch.
>>
>>81382419
actually I stand corrected, what Ebert said is don't interpret the film beyond the basest theory, which is that the entire first sequence was a dream

and in that regard he's right, MD is filled with way too many contradictions and non-sequiturs to be worth intensive analysis, especially compared to Lost Highway.

LH was a pretty straightforward Freudian film, MD is just a film meant to represent the misleading nature of Hollywood by throwing people off with all the non-sequiturs.. Obviously Lynch succeeded in that
>>
>>81381903
Hijacking this thread:
I've seen this movie a couple of times now, and read some analyses online, so it's kinda making sense to me now.

However: one thing I don't understand is the discovery of Diane's dead body in the first part of the movie.

Diane eventually kills herself in that very bed, but in the scene where they discover the body, it's just a part of Diane's imagination, before the suicide.

Diane is Betty in that scene. What's up with Diane being dead on the bed before she had even killed herself?
>>
>>81382740

manifestation of her suicidal thoughts
>>
>>81382740
And that's my point, one minor detail in this fiml can dismantle your entire theory unless you can contrive something like >>81382799

I'm not saying that poster is wrong, but that's just how it is
>>
>>81382830

That's what makes it so enjoyable for a certain type of viewer, and so infuriating for the rest. I've enjoyed reading analysis of MD as much as I've enjoyed watching the movie over the years, and I watch it a lot.
>>
>>81382630

>MD is just a film meant to represent the misleading nature of Hollywood

why do people insist on making this garbage up

I doubt Lynch had anything in mind like that, he just made the film he wanted to make and it's fucking brilliant. it doesn't have to represent shit.
>>
>>81382881
I mean it's hard not to read in to the movie as a commentary of Hollywood, with all the references to Hitchcock era movies, tropes, struggling directors and the back-alley of Hollywood being center pieces of the movie.

That being said, I don't think you'll find much if you try to make sense and look for meaning of every little piece.

To me the core of the movie is a homage/parody of 50's movie making combined with the story of a young woman that Hollywood chewed up and spat out.
>>
>>81382881
it's a big case of death of the author here because if that's not what Lynch intended then it's irrelevant because that's what he made

I'll admit though, I fucked up saying it's "meant to represent". I take that part back.
>>
>>81382998
>commentary of Hollywood, with all the references to Hitchcock era movies, tropes, struggling directors and the back-alley of Hollywood being center pieces of the movie.
don't forget the cowboy
>>
>>81383113
oh shit yeah missed that one
>>
>>81381903
Well the primary meaning behind the scene was the main girl's fantasy that the cards were stacked against her in hollywood and in favor of someone else. But there can be other interpretations of it as well.
>>
What was up with the bungling assassin though
>>
>>81383512
I felt like that the stupid comedy/action fitted in very well with the rest of TV and movie tropes stacked on eachother. If nothing else it was a funny-ass scene.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.