[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_ in_stand-up_comedy Look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Louis.C.K.2017.png (543KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Louis.C.K.2017.png
543KB, 1280x720px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_in_stand-up_comedy

Look at this list.

Why has Netflix gone ALL IN on stand up comedy now? They're giving everyone millions for dusty old specials.

I heard today that, billionaire Jerry Seinfeld was given 80 million dollars for some later this year and for more of his shit coffee car show.

What is it?
>>
So...
>>
>>81344917
Is it because muh profit margins? I would guess they are pushed for the same reasons that networks push reality tv, money.
>>
>>81344917

because Netflix is about

1) building their back catalog of netflix exclusive stuff that they don't have to pay royalties to the MGMs of the world.

2) Stand up specials are cheap to film and you only have to pay one star.

3) Stand up specials if not overly political. You could watch Eddie Murphy Raw from the 80s and laugh your ass off.
>>
Which of these specials are worth watching? The Mulaney one any good.

I'm trying to get into standup again, but I want new stuff, 2016 or later. I don't really want to hear old jokes.
>>
So I think there;s this mass movement where the normie crowd is trying to pretend they have cultured tastes in media while completely ostracizing any of the aesthetical qualities that make said pieces of media admirable, and one of the ways to do this (and that's highly profitable) is to mass market it so the plebs can hold day-to-day dialogue in their simple manner, example;

PlebA: Did you see the new X-Men movie?
PlebB: I did! It was fantastic.
PlebA: Oh I thought so too, remember when there was that explosion and-
PlebB: Wolverine fucking JUMPED into the other room to save the little girl!
PlebA: Fuck yeah man, X-Men is fucking sick.

Notice how 'nerds' built up a culture of comic books because they themselves were ostracized and had to utilize escapism, but they were ostracized because many tended to have more sober and/or imaginative minds where as the simple normie was a laborer and just that, the 'nerd' may have had aspirations to be a writer, researcher, lecturer, doctor, etc.

Because they built up the intellectual connotation of 'nerd' culture stock while retaining all the facets of the escapism that made it so dangerous and obsessed by many of the 'nerd' caste, even the less intellectual, more spazzy, generally autistic, slow to develop groups the corporations see a viable way to sell 'intellectual escapism' to the masses how Starbucks sells 'a morning ritual/afternoon experience to people' or how fast food restaurants sell 'a meal' to people.

These people can be 'smart' as nerds, without having to face the drawbacks of being spazzy, unattractive, unliked, and in general not NEEDING an outlet from society.
>>
>>81345336
Louie's new special and Bill Bur's are both great but /tv/ is autistic as shit about them both, so just ignore them. Tbh, Trevor Noah has good standup specials too but it may trigger you if you are remotely left from ethno-nationalist.
>>
It's because they're cheap as fuck to produce

insert /pol/ conspiracy theory here
>>
>>81345442
and part and parcel of this is stand-up comedy, it used to be niche, or at least slightly more niche than it is now, or at least with the innovation of competing light night programs it allowed for some comedians to show alternative and often angry forms of comedy, the anger at said society

but now the normies can be spoonfed comedic anger, observational comedy, etc straight to there living room and feel as if they were part of the scene that would go to late night bars and enjoy some offhanded remarks, now everyone is offhanded and playfully sarcastic without really knowing why it is they're doing that

now Chad & Stacy can watch Dave Chapelle, feel smart whether or not they got the jokes, which they probably did because the jokes would be watered down as per Netflix recommendations, and then go to bed

it's fast food spirituality, it's what's killing this society, it's Ed Sheeran, it's MGMT, it's Netflix, it's The Avengers, it's Deadpool, it's Interstellar

they're going to read these posts in a few years if they're not already doing it now and try to come up with algorithms about the best way to sell us the experiences we need to be momentarily appeased but some people will just know and cringe that it's not for the sake of the art, it's for the sake of selling the art
>>
>>81345621
fucking normie
>>
>>81345698
>you like good comedy
>you are a normie
Right, name your favorite shows for me, sweetie.
>>
>>81345746
Powerpuff Girls
>>
Because there was literally no other medium for them to be successful on. No major networks or companies where snapping up free talent.

Netflix did, and they're reaping the reward.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.