[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is making feature films just not for self-funded amateurs? Taking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: frances_ha-159821300-large.jpg (67KB, 505x795px) Image search: [Google]
frances_ha-159821300-large.jpg
67KB, 505x795px
Is making feature films just not for self-funded amateurs?

Taking a look at what most small-budget films cost, they are still in the millions. That includes those with no special effects/cgi.
>>
>>81293400
Rom-coms/romances/dramas don't use cgi or need big budgets. Most filmmakers make shorts first. How much do you think this cost to make?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6Tt3PqIfQ
>>
If you're so incompetent in life that you can't even finance that, then how are you going to make a good movie?
>>
>>81293495
Nobody watches short films, though.

>>81293495
I don't see how competence in one area would translate to the other. Or are you implying conmen would make great film writers/directors?
>>
>>81293604
This guy here >>81293494

You have to start at the bottom. You can't make a 2001 on your first attempt.

>Nobody watches short films, though.

That video alone has had 5 million views. They have an imdb page
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0365096/

I'm guessing they're doing a lot better than we are.
>>
>>81293400
one would assume the lack of feature films made by self-funded amateurs would tip you off
>>
Primer cost 7000 to make. If you're really passionate about film you can easily save up for that.
>>
>>81293400
Just jumping into say that I hated, hated this movie. Living in New York City does not automatically make you more interesting.
>>
>>81293400
>>81293604
You obviously have no knowledge of the movie industry whatsoever so I suggest you try a different career path.
>>
File: 1490771045625.png (17KB, 633x772px) Image search: [Google]
1490771045625.png
17KB, 633x772px
>>81293864

>tfw you got paid in visibility

"it's an amateur short brah" they said
fucking hell I couldn't even buy cigs with the coupons we were given
>>
>>81293604
people who finance movies watch short films
>>
>>81293864
>>81293971
He went on to make Upstream Colour among other things.
>>
You pretty much have to be born into the movie business to be a director brahs.

Save your $
>>
I'm in the mood to scam, simply because i can

Can anyone give me some good tips on how to get funding?
>>
File: Color_Wheel_Film_Poster.jpg (181KB, 433x599px) Image search: [Google]
Color_Wheel_Film_Poster.jpg
181KB, 433x599px
i guess you could make a nice movie where it's mostly people talking a lot and use a shitty camera like they did in the color wheel. i don't know how much it cost but it couldn't have been much.

you then have to make people give a shit about what you made
>>
>Raimi was set on directing a horror film. The idea was to shoot a short film first, which would attract the interest of producers, and then use the money gained from that to shoot a full-length project. The short film that Raimi created was called Within the Woods. It was produced for $1,600, but for The Evil Dead, Raimi needed over $100,000.

Making a low budget short film as a "prototype" to generate interest is a great idea. With YouTube it's easier than ever to get it seen. Just look what happened with the director of Lights Out.
>>
>>81293939
You seem like a knowledgeable man. What is a good way to gain said knowledge?
>>
>>81294046
Tell that to Stanley Kubrick not gonna say he wasn't privileged but so are most of you neets. He basically google everything his first few movies were giant failures funded by people around his neighborhood
>>
>>81294165
Watch movies.
>>
>>81293400
Zero successful directors started out making feature films out of the gate. It's way harder than you think to make a high quality 10 minute short. You gotta walk before you can run man.
>>
>>81294147
The Coens did the same thing with Blood Simple.
>>
>>81293400
What is
>Clerks
>El Mariachi
>Murder Party
>The Man From Earth
>Coherence

Those are a few examples, and they took much less than a million to make
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.