[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to make a good movie that doesn't have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

Is it possible to make a good movie that doesn't have a theme or themes? For example, what's the theme of Fargo? Why do people think Fargo is a good movie?
>>
>>81266615
No theme would be a theme.
No theme is basically post-modernism.

Satire, absurdity and the novelty of life would be the general theme of "no theme".
>>
>>81266615
Seinfeld was originally about how a comedian got his jokes but later on in the show they restructured it to be about having no themes.
>>
Is it possible to make a good movie that doesn't have a meme or memes? For example, what's the meme of The Force Awakens? Why do people think The Force Awakens is a good movie?
>>
>>81266615
Fargo has themes, mainly the Greed of Man from what I remember. If you're telling a story, it's going to have themes, mainly because anything and everything can be a theme. The closest to not having a theme would be to have so many themes that are unrelated and unconnected.

It's like genre. No matter what you make, it can be assigned to a genre. The closest thing to no genre, would be having no single genre, and just utilizing as many as possible.
>>
>>81266721
>No theme would be a theme.
pic related.
>Satire, absurdity and the novelty of life would be the general theme of "no theme".
the novelty of life is a theme.
>>
>>81266748
So individual episodes didn't have themes? That doesn't matter, Seinfield was a TV show, a comedy TV show.
And I have a hard time believing that there weren't any reoccurring themes over time, even if they were incidental.
Like, you could say the theme of Curb Your Enthusiasm is how selfishness never pays off in the long run.
>>
>>81267182
okay thanks
>>
>>81266615
the word theme is suspiciously close to meme and is being used as such
>>
>>81268318
No it isn't
>>
>>81268535
It really is. You can find themes in absolutely everything if you look hard enough
>>
File: what a fucking asshole face.png (148KB, 584x645px) Image search: [Google]
what a fucking asshole face.png
148KB, 584x645px
>>81268810
Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen today.
>>
everything has themes. if something purports to have "no theme," the theme is absurdism, nihilism, or existentialism.
>>
>>81268810
>>81269059
listen man I keep a journal where I write notes regarding film and I just wanted to be validated

I wrote "Theme is the most important part of crafting a narrative. Every character, action, and piece of dialogue should point towards one or more themes. Underlying themes should relate to a bigger overarching theme."
>>
>>81268318
>the word theme is suspiciously close to meme

Not really. They both look the same, but they don't rhyme or anything.
>>
File: 1491098070849.png (51KB, 693x496px) Image search: [Google]
1491098070849.png
51KB, 693x496px
>>81268941
not an argument
>>
John Wick and Commando are masterpieces and they don't really have a theme.
>>
Some movies have themes that are easily stated. Some have themes that are harder to pin down. Some have almost none.
>>
>>81269725
Revenge is a theme
>>
>>81270311
Really?
>>
>>81266721

What if you made a movie without once thinking of the word or idea "theme". Would it be accidentally post-modern?
>>
>>81270625
Yes. It's probably one of the earliest themes in story telling.
>>
Sunny P is about making a sit-com.

And it benefits from the producers forcing them to set it in a pub instead of in a theater.
>>
>>81270832
>mumblecore

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>81271087
fine.
>>
>>81271132
what the fuck does this mean
>>
A theme is any concept that recurs in a work. Fargo has lots of snow in it. That's a theme.
>>
>>81271572
SNOW ISN'T A FUCKING THEME
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.