[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did Galadriel mean by this? No, seriously, I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 23

File: IMG_0870.jpg (68KB, 1280x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0870.jpg
68KB, 1280x533px
What did Galadriel mean by this?

No, seriously, I don't understand this scene at all
>>
>>81224061
Elves are not immune to the ring's draw, regardless of Agent Smith's moral posturing.
>>
>>81224061
>evil elven queen
muh dick
>>
If she took the ring she would rule over middle-earth. She wouldn't be any better than sauron
>>
>>81224129
okay but i'm asking about the reason for the freakout. is it basically >>81224095 ?

And what did she mean by "i passed the test" and "I will diminish"
>>
>>81224061

she, literally, revealed her power level
>>
>>81224167
warning frodo not to offer the ring to people he trusts and are strong, like her and gandalf or even aragorn

they cant handle it
>>
>>81224167
She passed the test by refusing the ring, with its power the elves wouldn't have had to leave, the age of men never would come. At least that's what the ring showed her to tempt her
>>
>>81224167
There were a handful of people who could rival Sauron's power if they had the ring. Galadriel was one of them. She had always been one of the more ambitious and power-hungry elves, and the ring knew it. So she reveals her innermost desires and show what she would become if she actually claimed the ring for herself. She resists the temptation however and remains only Galadriel, rather than God-Queen Galadriel eternal ruler of Middle-earth. This also means that she is ready to return "home" to Valinor since now there is nothing left for her in middle-earth.
>>
>>81224204
Didn't aragorn pick the ring up off the ground and give it to Frodo though? Without even thinking twice about it. I thought this happened after the battle where boromir dies at the end of the first movie.
>>
File: monkeys_paw_prop_app3_50.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
monkeys_paw_prop_app3_50.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
>>81224061
>>
>>81224287
He never actually touched the ring itself. Frodo showed his open hand with the ring in it and asked if he would destroy it given the choice, and Aragorn simply closed his hand without ever touching it. Though not without being tempted. But unlike Boromir he didn't give in to his greed.
>>
>>81224061
>All shall love me and despair
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>81224376
You're right. I didn't read the books but were there ever any times Aragorn was tempted by the ring? What could have happened if Aragorn did end up with the ring?
>>
>>81224061
The elves act all high and mighty but they ain't shit.

Now you understand why the dwarves don't like them. They don't entertain their bullshit just to be diplomatic. And the elves hate that.
>>
>>81224476
Any human is tempted by it. A general rule in Tolkien's writings are that humans are the most flawed of sentient creatures. The nature of humans in LOTR is that they have true freedom, and this also includes freedom to commit acts of incredible evil and depravity. So they're easy to corrupt. If Aragorn got the ring he would have used it for good purposes (or would at least rationalise it as so) but eventually he would become a warmongering dictator that would try to usurp Sauron's throne. Though if a mere human (admittedly of a better stock than most) would ever be able to use the ring that efficiently is anyones guess. Aragorn would have become a Stalin. Extremely paranoid and hungry for wealth and power, though he would claim to rule for the benefit of all.
>>
>>81224476
He probably was, but he ain't no elven bitch. He's not gonna burden the ring bearer more by sperging out in front of him.
>>
>>81224095
This desu
>>
>>81224587
Is Aragorn different from the typical men you see in the movie though? From a line of "super-men". Different from Boromir for example. Or is that what you meant by "of better stock"?
>>
>>81224770
He is a descended from the line of Numenor. Ancient men who were powerful as fuck.
>>
>>81224770
Hes the king man, of course hes better than the average pleb
>>
>>81224802
But all had really, REALLY stupid names.
>>
>>81224836
Ar Pharazon is a cool name man. He raped Sauron in his boipucci in his dungeon.
>>
>>81224514
Elves are very much superior to men in the LOTR universe.
>>
>>81224167
>i'm asking about the reason for the freakout
Jackson doesn't do subtlety.
>>
>>81224770
Aragorn is part elf, part maia distantly. He lives to be something absurd like 200+ years old. He's more than human.
>>
>>81224899
Not superior, just different. For all their grand design they still got decimated in the War of Wrath, to a level never even imagined by men. And Men never experienced a knife in the back from their brothers on the scale of Feanor's continent-crossing spergout.
>>
>>81224770
That is a pretty complicated matter. Aragorn is a "Dunedain". A descendant of the humans of Numenor, a sort of high-Man. More close to Elves than other humans. Boromir is also a descendant of that people but not from such a pure lineage as Aragorn who is descended from the first King of Numenor who was half-elven along with his brother Erlond. The perks of being a Dunedain was greater wisdom and intellect and a longer lifespan (Aragorn lived to be 210 years old). The numenoreans are in turn descended from the Edain tribe of men who fought alongside the elves against the first dark lord, they were given the island of Numenor as a gift by the godlike Valar. But their long lifespan coupled with the natural ambition of humans eventually led to the Numenoreans rebelling against the Valar and trying to claim immortality for themself (cheered on by Sauron who had subverted the entire civilization). God proceeded to flatten the entire island and the survivors founded Gondor and Arnor in middle-earth.
>>
>>81224204
So basically don't dress like a slut if you don't want to be raped.
>>
>>81224899
Elves ain't SHIT. Get on your boat and fuck off, elves are not welcome here.
>>
>>81224972
Nigger, if someone cared enough to read that they'd read the Silmarillion themselves. Be concise, you aspie.
>>
File: 1488929195498.jpg (38KB, 750x825px) Image search: [Google]
1488929195498.jpg
38KB, 750x825px
My dad always had this theory that the reason Hobbits disappeared from Middle Earth was because they grew and grew over generations and became the same size as Men, because of Merry and Pippin drinking the Ent draught. Is there any corroboration of this in the appendices and shit or was he just high?
>>
>>81225004
Hobbits disappeared because like western white man traveling to Japan for a cute, submissive, hella tight yellow nippon, when men found out about the shire they descended upon it and bred the hobbits out of existence. It's in the unreleased Tolkien lore held in Christopher Tolkien's attic. I'm close friends with him and he let me read it. It's pretty raunchy stuff.
>>
>>81224287
>>81224204
Friendly reminder that in the book, Faramir didn't give a fuck about the Ring and was completely helpful to Frodo once he knew what was going on.
>>
>>81225001
If someone asks a question it's better to give the whole answer than leave any loose ends. Now he knows.
>>
>>81225001
>>81224972
I was the one who asked the question and I thought the response was well thought out and answered everything I was wondering concisely.

I wish they would've went more into all that in the movies.
>>
>>81225158
Faramir is cool in the movies too. They just spend more time on sceptic faramir so they could pack shelob in to the third movie.
>>
>>81225204
Soz but you missed Aragorn is part Maia. Not a full answer. B+

>>81225263
>I wish they would've went more into all that in the movies.
No you don't because it's aspergic as shit. Read The Silmarillion. I absolutely dare you to try. You apparently like unnecessary details.
>>
>>81224770
Aragorn is like, 1/28 angel and maybe 1/3 elven.
Elrond is his greatX7 uncle or something.
>>
>>81225381
Reminder Aragorn and Arwen are related and Elrond lets his nephew fuck his daughter.
>>
>>81225421
Not quite, Aragorn told Elrond that he was going to fuck his cousin, and Elrond told him "Not until you're king and Sauron is defeated".
>>
>>81225421
Reminder that Aragorn was a child when he moved in with Elrond and a fully mature Arwen would spy on shota Aragorn, lusting after him.
>>
>>81225491
Allowing someone to do something conditionally is still allowing them to do it, aspie.
>>
>>81224899
Numenoreans > Moriquendi
>>
>>81225421
even with them being related it doesnt matter. There is surely enough genetic diversity in this elven/dunedain/human relation to prevent inbreeding.
>>
>>81225491
>And he actually did it
The absolute madman
>>
>>81225573
Elf DNA is shown to be overwhelmingly dominant by how much elven characteristics are present in Aragorn - King Elessar, meaning Elfstone - despite the numerous generations that have passed. Their children would have a double dose of whatever elven genetic diseases Arwen and Aragorn inherited from their shared forebearers.
>>
>swn dominate you

Why even live?
>>
File: 1483751311117.jpg (68KB, 680x390px) Image search: [Google]
1483751311117.jpg
68KB, 680x390px
>>81225421
>>81225491
>>81225524
>>
>>81225699
How does she look so young in the new Thor movie?
>>
>>81225352
The Silmarillion is actually really cool at worldbuilding if you cant get past the often dry prose. I mean, the events in that damn book are batshit insane, nothing on LotR and the Hobbit is even near that level, and it really gives the feeling that the world has diminished a lot by the third age.

>universe was created by god and his band playing a song
>Feanor, just that gigantic asshole and the bullshit he pulled on everybody
>morgoth's buddy giant spider sucking on two magic trees that are literally are the sun and going supersaiyan
>later, the sun is a hot (literally) girl and the moon is a guy who wants to fuck her holy shit what I am readin
>dragons fucking up everybody and making people do incest
>a talking sword?
>also a cool talking dog
>romeo and juliet, except it is a heist plot to steal stuff from satan, and there is a giant monstruous wolf
>Sauron actually doing shit for once! And his plan mostly worked!

And that's off the top of my head.
>>
>>81225421
If you went 6000 years back in time and fucked the nephew of one of your ancestors, would it constitute as incest?
>>
>>81225771
She's a real Noldor.
>>
>>81225808
I hope. That makes it hotter.
>>
>all these replies itt

holy shit you are all retarded. It just shows that even a such respected being like galadriel who is godlike to everyone can be corruped by power.
>>
>>81225158
Faramir very much understood the temptation of the ring, but he was learned enough to understand why he should stay away from it, and wise enough to resist the voice in his head that wanted it anyway.
That was the point of him initially pretending he wanted to the ring to Frodo, before saying why he didn't.

It wasn't that the ring held no temptation for him.
>>
>>81225803
Parts are cool, yes, but the genealogies and cartographical details are massively overwhelming. It's not just dry prose. It's a new set of characters on a different mission every 10 pages, with new places popping up and then disappearing.

Parts are also clearly really poorly thought out. The cyclical nature of the universe is heading towards what? And even afterwards some things are omitted. The hobbits, apparently so important, aren't mentioned while the dozens of different types of elves and their stupid languages are given origins and explanations.
>>
>>81226032
>The hobbits, apparently so important, aren't mentioned while the dozens of different types of elves and their stupid languages are given origins and explanations.
Important, but easily overlooked.

Also their entire history and racial makeup and lifestyle was covered in Fellowship, it didn't need to be rewritten in the Silmarillion.
>>
I've read LOTR and the Hobbit like 4 times each, watched the movies a fuckload of times etc, but have never read the Silmarillion.

Should I? I heard from someone a long time ago that the structure in the book was very dry and different from the others
>>
>>81226075
It reads like a history textbook, but it's a textbook of an interesting world. That's all that can really be said. You won't be experiencing a plot, you'll be reading a historical records of events that ended a long ass time ago.
>>
>>81226075
Imagine reading a chronicle of the Elder Days translated from the elvish by a hobbit.

Because that's what the Silmarillion is supposed to be, plus a chronicle about Not!Atlantis.
>>
>>81226074
Their origin, however, wasn't explained. Where do they come from? Ilúvatar's creation of elves and man is explained. The creation of the dwarves is explained. The Ents, the birds, are explained. Where did the hobbits come from? Lord of the Rings hints at evolution when it says they're distantly related to men and when it says Gollum once belonged to a precursor to hobbits. What's explained in Lord of the Rings is the Shire and the history of the Shire. There's no pre-history like the pre-history provided in The Silmarillion for elves and men.
>>
>>81226032
>>81226074
Blame Chris Tolkien for that, he could have done a better job editing the book.
>>
>>81225066
That's fucking disgusting..
Poor mini midget people aka hobbit's..
>>
>>81225066
>hobbits bred out because of Shortstack fetishist

LOL
>>
>>81226188
Because the Silmarillion is supposed to be about the Elves' history, written from the pov of Elves. Nobody in Middle Earth, besides Gandalf, the Rangers, and a few others in the North, knew that hobbits existed until Bilbo's journey; and certainly nobody gave a shit about them until the War of the Ring. Even the hobbits themselves don't know how they came to be.

It's one of those things Tolkien left unexplained on purpose, like Tom Bombadil.
>>
>>81226188
What I always took from it was that whoever wrote or collected the Silmarillion plain didn't know where the Hobbits came from. They're sort of a mystery in Middle Earth, who sort of just wandered out one day to everyone's surprise. Tom Bombadil and whatever the fuck the Watcher in the Water was, or the nameless things Gandalf saw weren't explained either so it's probably not a perfect and omniscient record, just what its editor knew.
>>
One of theme themes running through LOTR is that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Any character with the strength or desire to wield power would be corrupted by the ring. This includes Gandalf, Galadriel, most men, the eagles e.t.c.

This is the reason a hobbit is chosen to be the ringbearer and why they are the heroes of the story. With no desire to rule, they just want to return to the shire, smoke pipeweed and let off fireworks.
>>
>>81224476
In the book, there's a scene that takes place in Isengard in which Aragorn looks into the palantir. (I think the scene also happens in the Extended Edition of RoTK)
It's never directly stated, but some believe that Sauron, upon seeing Aragorn standing amongst the ruins of Isengard, believed he had used the power and influence of the One Ring to achieve this, and in response he began the premature plans for the siege of Minas Tirith and attack on Gondor.
>>
>>81226099
>>81226169
Yeah idk, it might not be for me
>>
>>81226219
he's joking
>>
>>81225878
>>all these replies itt
>not liking a classic /tv/ comfy LOTR thread
>>
>>81226352
>>81226390
You're trusting that it was an intentional device which seems bogus to me, desu. The device that the book was written by someone in-world was used in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and there are clear limits to their knowledge. The author of The Silmarillion knows about the creation of the world - how? No one alive at that time knew, and it's presented as fact, not myth. And they know how/why elves, humans, dwarves, ents, eagles but not hobbits? It doesn't ring true at all. Plus the inconsistency I mentioned, in which it's said in Lord of the Rings hobbits are distantly related to men.

There were other inconsistencies I forgot. It's an incredibly comprehensive world and of course not everything is going to be explained. The Silmarillion was put together posthumously and it absolutely shows. To deny it doesn't and pretend it's perfect is a freakin' lie.
>>
>>81225491
>Not quite, Aragorn told Elrond that he was going to fuck his cousin, and Elrond told him "Not until you're king and Sauron is defeated".

He probably said that as a joke thinking nothing would happen.
>>
>>81226620
>The author of The Silmarillion knows about the creation of the world - how?
The elves in Valinor are in contact with the Valar who were literally there and participated in said creation. Are you intentionally being stupid?
>>
>>81226786
Are you? On one hand you suggest there are limits to the person's knowledge then you suggest perhaps it was written by someone in correspondence with the practically all-knowing gods of the world.
>>
File: 1458672135551.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1458672135551.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
>>81225699
>>
>>81224061
she gets tempted to get the ring
but then she calms the fuck down and doesnt
thus she 'passed' that test and proceeds to give some shit to the hobbits and kindly ask them to gtfo of her house
>>
>>81226818
The Valar don't know everything you fucking idiot. This is explained in the very thing you are criticizing. The future they were shown when they made the world did not turn out correct because of Melkor, and lots of shit they had no hand or knowledge in got created. This is literally the origin of Dwarves.
>>
File: 5f972a1022bbcfb3c434b2f259f53bee.jpg (405KB, 1000x1230px) Image search: [Google]
5f972a1022bbcfb3c434b2f259f53bee.jpg
405KB, 1000x1230px
>>81226818
>It's a namefag gets preachy over something he clearly hasn't read episode
>>
>>81224061
I really liked the trilogy, especially the fellowship, but I still don't see why Jackson made several of the choices he did.
Like making basically every elf blonde/blue eyed, the whole eye of sauron thing, saying sauron doesn't have a body anymore, making gimli so silly.
>>
>>81224380
she wanted to be a thot and ride the cock carosel
>>
>>81225878
>Galadriel
>godlike
>>
>>81224061
>galadriel leaves valinor with feanor
>wants to have her own kingdom to rule
>banned from returning to valinor
>suffer while crossing the helcaraxe into middleearth
>suffer in beleriand under morgoth
>eventually get to be a queen in lothlorien
>rings of power are crafted
>get one of them
>can use it to preserve your kingdom, make it almost like valinor
>good times
>then some hobbit shows up at your kingdom
>says he has the one ring and is tasked with destroying it
>this is bad, your ring is tied to the one ring
>no one ring, no more good times
>the midget actually offers it to you
>insert scene from the movie
>>
>>81226905
>practically all-knowing
>practically
They would know where the hobbits came from, dipshit.
>>
>>81225771
tons of makeup and CG vaseline filter
so obvious I wonder why would you even ask
>>
>>81226942
>saying sauron doesn't have a body anymore
They even filmed a scene with sauron fighting aragorn in his body but in the final movie its replaced with a cgi troll or something.
>>
>>81226905
Really, the line of reasoning that The Silmarillion was written by someone in-world in correspondence with the Valar just to avoid admitting it's poorly edited and ill-conceived, which anyone who reads it will see. There's also no evidence for what you're suggesting. There's no reference to a rhetorical in-world author.
>>
>>81226974
Not if they had no hand in it and it wasn't shown to them at the beginning, moron. They only knew about elves and men because God literally showed them to the Valar and said "be ready for these things when they wake up".
>>
Was Galadriel stronger than Gandalf?
>>
>>81224061
Are you retarded? Galadriel encouraged Frodo to continue by showing the consequences of inaction. Then she revealed she could take the ring and make herself the ruler of Middle Earth with its power. She would become a tyrant however.
>>
>>81227041
>the people who shaped the landscape, who nurtured the elves, who could travel the world invisible, who had a hand in the actual creation wouldn't know about the hobbits
You've been cornered into an incredible stupid argument, desu.
>>
>>81227016
wtf
He also didn't make a good job explaining that the nazguls aren't spirits, they're just invisible.
>>81227050
strength isn't an easily analyzable thing in middle earth.
>>
>>81226539
I haven't read the books in forever but the scene in the movie is after the battle of Minas Tirith. Aragorn shows himself to Sauron and tells him he's attacking him head on at the Black Gate. Sauron believes only someone wielding the Ring could be so foolhardy, which is why all of his attention and resources are focused on the Gate: he thinks Aragorn has the Ring.
>>
>>81227037
>The Silmarillion, like Tolkien's other Middle-earth writings, was meant to have taken place at some time in Earth's past.[5] In keeping with this idea, The Silmarillion is meant to have been translated from Bilbo's three-volume Translations from the Elvish, which he wrote while at Rivendell.[6]

As simple as checking fucking Wikipedia you mong.
>>
>>81227092
He's right, they have barely cared about any middle earth related thing since a couple of ages. Hobbits don't appear until the third.
>>
>>81227112
And the source is some book by Christopher Tolkien called The Lost Tales neither of us have read because there's no such reference in The Silmarillion itself.
>>
>>81227037
Utter retard
>>
>>81227130
>Hobbits don't appear until the third.
We don't know that because we don't know where/how the hobbits appeared, and the Valars lack of interaction isn't due to indifference. Gandalf is sent by the Valar.
>>
>>81225001
Fuck off fag it was an interesting response and I don't care enough to read the entire fucking mythos just to understand one facet of the base story.
>>
>>81227179
>i don't care but i also care
hmmmm
>>
>>81227092
>You've been cornered into an incredible stupid argument, desu.
No, you have. Ever heard of dark elves? There are literally elves in Middle Earth that live in total seclusion and fear of the outside world because the Valar NEVER FOUND THEM when the elves were waking up, and by the time they were found they'd grown too suspicious to accept the Valar's offer to come west. Hard to do that when you're all-knowing.
>>
>>81227037
Can't you do something else with your time other than devote it to being wrong on /tv/?/
>>
>>81224953
Ha, true.

There are a lot of nice reminders in the LOTR trilogy that Peter Jackson cut his teeth on schlocky b-horror movies. This is one of them, the other being the Bilbo jumpscare. I love 'em!

>>81225491
>"Not until you're king and Sauron is defeated".

is this the greatest "punk'd" in ME history?

wait

>>81227109
>all of his attention and resources are focused on the Gate: he thinks Aragorn has the Ring.

Is THIS the greatest "punk'd" in ME history?
>>
>>81227199
>valar don't know about dark elves
>dark elves are mentioned in the silmarillion

>hobbits aren't mentioned in the siilmarillion
>it's because the valar don't know about them!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>81226974
Not really. There are a lot of things they can't see.

And anyway, the stuff in the Silmarillion is the lore of the Noldro exiles, what they knew about the things before the awakening of the Elves (the Ainur, the first war against Melkor, the Two Lamps) is what they learnt from the Valar before they left Aman. And the hobbits probably originated in the First or Second Age, and they weren't noticed until Thorin's Quest, so it makes sense that no story ever mentions them before this point.

Of course, all of this is an in-universe explanation for the fact that the Silmarillion is in fact a compilation of Tolkien's notes and writings and edited by his son so that the overall mythology and timeline makes sense.
>>
>>81227204
If I'm wrong that The Silmarillion's inconsistencies are because it's a poorly edited, ill-conceived mess - my god, hang me high. Christopher Tolkien is 2x the genius his father was and he made it unintelligible as a nod to Bilbo's waning in his ages.
>>
>>81227238
>Completely misreads the post
>Didn't notice he said the Valar weren't aware of them, then FOUND THEM LATER which would explain why they'd still be known in the internal history
I'm begging you CUNT stop while you're ahead, you're out of your league.
>>
File: 1e0.gif (349KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
1e0.gif
349KB, 350x233px
>>81224899
to Aman
>>
>>81227297
They also found the hobbits later as demonstrated by Gandalf, who was in contact with the Valar. So why aren't they mentioned?
>>
File: galadriel.png (795KB, 1361x525px) Image search: [Google]
galadriel.png
795KB, 1361x525px
>>81224061
She was showing Frodo that Sauron wasn't the only threat, and that the corrupting power of the Ring could create more powerful Dark Lords, Galadriel being one of them.

I actually liked the out of nowhere intensity of that scene.

Shame Jackson fucked it up in The Hobbit, and right when the Dol Guldur subplot was about to be the movie's saving grace. She looked like a seahag, when Jackson even gave her a much better look seconds before.
If she looked like pic related when dealing with Sauron, it would've been much better.
>>
>>81227356
Because that happened in the Third Age which isn't the focus of the book, and that was covered already in Fellowship. You already brought this up and got shut down before. You're running out of bullshit to bitch about.
>>
>>81224514
Dwarves are abominations that Iluvatar happened to take pity on.
>>
>>81225158

Goes to show how shit the books are at characterization. Tolkien cant into nuance.

Faramir having penis-envy toward his brother initially, and then shaking it off and resisting the ring through sheer willpower in the end is a far more interesting character arc
>>
Do shitposters normally troll a LotR thread successfully on /tv/ or do lore fags always whup them like this?
>>
>>81227551
He did nuance well, but very fucking selectively. If it wasn't a main character he didn't really care.

>>81225158
Giving Faramir a character arc was one of the many good liberties the films took. Another would be replacing the attack on the Shire with the four hobbits drinking at The Green Dragon, where you got to see how much they'd changed since they'd left. That moment of bittersweet silence was much more powerful.
>>
>>81227668
4chan's been Reddit 2 for awhile now, since before moot ditched us. I usually only come back once in awhile for nostalgia's sake.
>>
>>81227356
because the book was written before they found out about hobbits. fuck I hope you're trolling
>>
>>81224587
But would have been his tax policy?
>>
>>81227668
LOTR lore fags are the best people on this board, they always decimate attempts at trolling while staying polite
t. lorefag
>>
>>81225771
she looks so fucking better with black hair is not even funny
>>
>>81225771
How does she make my dick this hard after all these years?
>>
>>81228241
CGI
>>
>>81224167
She got a massive boner for the power/temptation basically like when villains in cartoons monologue about their plans
>>
>>81224889
Can't rape the willing, m8. Getting caught was part of Sauron's plan.
>>
I loved the scene where Galadriel was riverdancing
>>
Reminder that Gimli cucked Feanor.
>>
>>81229268
It's not cucking if she never loved or dated Feanor to begin with
>>
>>81229676
That just makes Feanor an even bigger cuck for not even approaching her in the first place.
>>
>>81229769
He did approach her. She fucking told him no.
>>
>>81229847
Doesn't really cancel out what a cuck he is.
>>
>>81229956
He's not cucked at all in this case. He's arguably even more pathetic and btfo than any cuckold, but he is not one by definition.
>>
>>81230008
Definitions shift around all the time. In this generation "cuck"'s definition has broadened to any beta who doesn't get the woman he wants.
>>
File: Ben.png (292KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
Ben.png
292KB, 400x534px
>>81230149
Well that's a dumb definition and we shouldn't accept it just because dumb people use it alot.
>>
who will play Galadriel in JJ Abrams spinoff "Queen of the Rings"
>>
>>81230183
Cate Blanchett. She's timeless.
>>
>>81230178
You don't have to like it, but that's how it is.

"Gay" used to primarily mean "happy", but the times irreversibly changed the dominant definition. Old English wasn't always old, either.
>>
>>81224167
>>81224061
how can a person be this stupid?

It honestly confuses ME
>>
>>81224061
are you a fucking retard even my 10 year old self understood that scene
>>
>>81224061
What was meant as a brief vision of a bad future where Galadriel succumbs to the ring's power by Tolkien was turned into her alt-mode in the Hobbit movies.
>>
File: goof.png (7KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
goof.png
7KB, 246x205px
>>81230178
>alot
Shit is he dumb or he fucking with me subtly
>>
>>81224061
Reminder that LOTR is a conservative messaging wet dream and if you're a leftist who enjoys the story you should convert or kill yourself
>>
>>81230386
It triggered my autism when she alone was enough to drive Sauron out with her Super Mode. I know Sauron was just faking it but ffs, there were two Maiar in her group.
>>
>>81230488
It's conservative, but it's the kind of conservative that actually follows the word it named its own ideology afterwards, and would consider /pol/'s conservatism to be degenerate and useless.
>>
File: fuckugly.jpg (13KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
fuckugly.jpg
13KB, 500x211px
>>81230551
And they both fucking split, which was hilarious. My guess is that they needed to maintain their "old man" disguises, but I'm no expert.

>>81230386
If she was gonna get an alt-mode against Sauron, >>81227433 would've been better. Why the fuck did Jackson think it was a good idea to make her look like she was taken over by the Ring again?
>>
>>81230664
oh absolutely, it's a trumptard's wet dream I suppose now that I think of it, but that's not what I meant
>>
>>81227050
Gandalf and the other four Wizards were Maiar, which are essentially angels. His power was ridiculous and he and the others came down to Middle Earth disguised as old men to appear less threatening and more wise.

Galadriel was the most powerful elf, but in Gandalf's eyes, she was only an elf.
>>
File: DantBe Upset.jpg (62KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DantBe Upset.jpg
62KB, 800x533px
>>81225158
>same dialogue in the movie is in the book but Faramir was basically joking and his friends laugh too making the scene lose any kind of power and making him look like a frat boy trying to look cool
>mfw I read the scene
>>
>>81230213

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5bY2UVY7QI

she has only become more perfect
>>
>>81224969
? all they had to do was give him their boats you fucking teleri beta bitch
>>
>>81231889
I'd lick her timtam if you catch my meaning.
>>
>>81232110

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ8_rClVHls

i love her
>>
File: stupid bitch.jpg (28KB, 590x381px) Image search: [Google]
stupid bitch.jpg
28KB, 590x381px
She's fucking disgusting
>>
>>81230704
>literally making her look like an evil undead witch

What the fuck did Jackson mean by this?
>>
>>81224514
I'd love to be around haughty Tolkien elves just to keep throwing their kinslaying in their faces, fucking hypocrites
>>
File: _47614216_jex_656934_de49-1.jpg (51KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
_47614216_jex_656934_de49-1.jpg
51KB, 512x288px
>>81232334
>that poo in the loo @ 2:20
>>
>>81231575
>literally wanting the one-dimensional nobody who didn't give a fuck about the power of the Ring despite being a Man of Denethor's weak-ass blood

Faramir was a walking plothole in the book.
>>
>>81230183
Daisy "I replaced acting with bad chewing habits" Ridley.
>>
>>81224167
>And what did she mean by "i passed the test" and "I will diminish"

You're trolling, retarded or, most likely, both but I'll "explain" anyway. The real problem is that you've never read the books and only have the shitty movies to go by. Because you're post-literate, the context is lost on you.

Galadriel belongs to a group, the Noldor, who rebelled against what are best described as Middle Earth's angels, the Valar, and left Middle Earth's "heaven", Valinor, without permission. The setting's "devil". Melkor, had stolen three priceless gems - I'm sure you've seen "Muh Silmarils" memes idiots like you post - and Galadriel was part of a group who swore to recover them. After near constant tragedy, the Noldor were forgiven and allowed to return to Valinor.

Galadriel chose to stay however and thus wasn't "paroled" like the others. She had to stay until she proved she was worthy to return.

A parallel story is that the Elves had to leave Middle Earth and return to Valinor so that the Age of Men could begin. Galadriel hanging around was delaying that.

By refusing the Ring, Galadriel renounced it's power. She could have used that power to make herself queen over all the Middle Earth delaying the Age of Men even more and fucking up the plans of the setting's God, Eru.

She says "I passed the test" meaning she's refused the power. She also says "I will diminish" meaning she'll leave Middle Earth and return to Valinor.

That's it. Pretty simple if you'd ever read the book but, then again, you'd have to be able to read.
>>
She was testing herself
>>
>>81234168
>The real problem is that you've never read the books and only have the shitty movies to go by.

You didn't need to read the books. The ring's power was very self explanatory even before Gandalf told Frodo not to tempt him.
>>
So what did the Elves do in the grey havens?

Let's pretend it isn't a death allegory, I'm talking literal. What did they do over there?
>>
>>81231889
My goodness she was cute back then.
>>
>>81235470
Weren't they ports? If I recall they were places where they built ships to sail west to Valinor. Presumably they functioned as trade ports too, and I imagine they'd be cultural centers since the Elves would be wanting to take their artifacts, knowledge, art and all that shit with them or at least put it somewhere to be remembered.
>>
File: Valinor.jpg (870KB, 2160x1405px) Image search: [Google]
Valinor.jpg
870KB, 2160x1405px
>>81235470
You're thinking of Valinor. The Grey Havens was a port city in Lindon, which was directly west of the Shire, and I mean about twice the distance to Bree.

Valinor was another continent entirely that was about the same size as Middle-Earth. It's a much more peaceful place with a lot of important landmarks, like the Two Trees of Valinor, whose fruits were the Sun and moon.
>>
why the hell didn't everyone just flee to valinor, it sounds like a dope ass place to live
>>
>>81236724
The Elves did. They didn't let the Men and Dwarves in on it, and they wouldn't let 'em tag along if they did know.
>>
>>81234504
>You didn't need to read the books. The ring's power was very self explanatory even before Gandalf told Frodo not to tempt him.

Yes, the Ring's power is apparent in the films. What isn't apparent is "why" Galadriel would announce "I will diminish and go to the West" after refusing the Ring.

For that to make sense, you have to had read the books and for the to occur you have to be able to read.
>>
>>81226942
the eye of sauron was a great idea imo. throughout the trilogy they refer to him as the eye or the red eye of baradur since its his banner symbol. but you never see or glimpse sauron's body ever.
i thought it was a good change to visually show sauron without him being just some faceless dude
>>
>>81236478

Now post the real world map of middle earth.
>>
>>81237026
Not really. It was clear that she was in charge of Lothlorien, and it was later established that most of the Elves were going West anyway.

Still, sure, there's no real context as to why she'd test herself, but you left with the barebones gist that her exposure to the ring was a hurdle she had to overcome.
>>
File: Arda_in_Third_Age.jpg (311KB, 1539x1636px) Image search: [Google]
Arda_in_Third_Age.jpg
311KB, 1539x1636px
>>81237138
>>
>>81237026
It isn't just her who diminishes, its the realm of Lothlorien because the rings lost all their power after the one was destroyed, ending the third age. Just like how Mordor collapses into dust so too does Rivendell and Lothlorien.
>>
>>81237367
I was gonna say they weren't under Sauron's influence, but I caught that One Ring detail. Pretty sneaky, J.
>>
File: Atlanta.jpg (128KB, 706x540px) Image search: [Google]
Atlanta.jpg
128KB, 706x540px
>>81237258
I don't believe it! The lost city of Atlante!
>>
>>81237258
Beleriand was really small compared to the rest of the West of ME.
>>
>>81235470
>So what did the Elves do in the grey havens?

It's a "bus depot". The Elves there are either waiting to sail to Valinor, building ships to sail to Valinor, or waiting for a full load of passengers before sailing to Valinor.

There are basically 2 kinds of Elves; those who went to Valinor and those that didn't. When the Elves 'awoke", the Valar showed up and told them "You've got to come to with us to Valinor". Most of the Elves went, but some said WTF? and hid instead. (Legolas' ancestors are among those who didn't go.)

Later on all the shit with Feanor, Melkor, the Silmarils, etc. went down and a chunk of the Elves who went to Valinor returned to Middle Earth. All sorts of tragedies go on for a long time, the Valar finally push Melkor's shit in, and most of the Elves who'd left Valinor return.

Some stay however for various reasons. They love Middle Earth, they haven't truly repented, they have shit to do, etc. Whatever the reason all those Elves, plus the Elves who never left in the 1st place, sooner or later have to leave Middle Earth so the Age of Men can begin because that's al part of Eru's master plan.

So, the Grey Havens is the "bus depot" for those departing. As long as there are Elves waiting to sail to Valinor, someone is going to be building ships in the Grey Havens.
>>
>>81238184
Don't forget that in the road to Valinor, at various points, groups of Elves just quit the journey and remained where they were.
>>
>>81231502
An elf of that lineage dueled Melkor though. Who would wipe the floor with Gandalf.
>>
>>81238405
Yeah, Melkor wiped the floor with that elf.

No Elf or Man can kill a Vala.
>>
>>81238518
i mean he did do pretty well all things considered, i think a first age elf could take out gandalf.
>>
>>81238518
>Then shall the Last Battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day, Tulkas shall strive with Morgoth, and on his right hand shall be Eönwë, and on his left Túrin Turambar, son of Húrin, returning from the Doom of Men at the ending of the world; and the black sword of Túrin shall deal unto Morgoth his death and final end; and so shall the Children of Húrin and all fallen Men be avenged."
>>
>>81224061
She's a spoopity boogin', that's what.
>>
>>81238558
Not likely. A Calaquendi lord might stand a chance against a Maia, but Olorin was wiser than the rest of the Maiar. Even in a scenario where he'd be overpowered, he'd still use his monumental wits and win anyway.
>>
>>81238582
Is that one of those Chris Tolkien projects? Haven't bothered with Children of Hurin. Too scared that it was another Brian Herbert thing.
>>
>>81236724
elves don't want humans, dwarves or hobbits in their land
>>
>>81238863
Feels like they were more tolerant of hobbits than of the rest.
>>
>>81238405
>Melkor
He was already in his diminished Morgoth self, and the Elf you're talking about was the second most powerful Noldo ever. And though he got to injure him, Morgoth still beat his ass anyway.
>>
>>81238966
Even if he did manage to "kill" Melkor's physical form, I don't see Melkor dying from that.
>>
>>81224061
It was autism.
>>
>>81239036
189th post best post
>>
>>81237026
Isn't that just because she knows the destruction of the one ring would cause the three elvish rings her Elrond and Gandalf have to lose their power?
>>
>>81234168
>Galadriel was part of a group who swore to recover them.
Wrong. The only ones who swore an oath to recover them were Feanor and his sons. Galadriel's motivation* was that, while she didn't liked Feanor, she was persuaded by his descriptions of Middle-earth and wanted to rule a realm of her own there.

*Not counting Tolkien's late life ideas of Galadriel's journey to Middle-earth being separate from the other Noldor.
>>
>>81224167
Her freakout was either poorly directed or poorly acted, I'm not sure which. It was supposed to get across that she was so strongly tempted by the Ring that she was induced into giving a full-blown villainous monologue, before regaining control and fighting her villainous urges back down again.

Unfortunately, Cate's performance didn't sell it quite right and Galadriel seemed to be spazzing out just to make a point to Frodo, which undercuts the intended message of how fallible she is and how dangerously close she came to ringing Frodo's neck like a chicken and prying the Ring off his dead finger.
>>
File: 1485120911657.jpg (384KB, 1092x722px) Image search: [Google]
1485120911657.jpg
384KB, 1092x722px
>tfw the Easterlings betray you and ruin everything.
>>
>>81239270
I'm not a Simlarillion scholar like some of you nerds, but I get the impression that Tolkein got a bit too attached to Galadriel and kept trying to distance her from all the bad things that happened around her in the Elves' backstory. I don't mind t that she refused to take the oath with Feanor, because she was always unusually coolheaded for Noldor, but why distance her further and try to make it so she hardly did anything wrong at all? She's a more compelling character if she did some sketchy shit in her youth, made it worse by being too stubborn to accept forgiveness, and then after much suffering and character growth became the wise and benevolent Lady of Lothlorien that we meet in the LotR trilogy.
>>
>>81239784
I like to imagine that the Silmarillion was written by a biased Elf scholar, and wouldn't or even couldn't write of the queen's wrongdoing.
>>
>>81238805
I'm pretty sure JRR actually wrote Children of Hurin, the book just elaborates on what was already in the Silmarillion. Either way it's a decent enough read, it's basically just a classic tragic hero like some Shakespeare stuff mixed with Beowulf.

Be warned though, Turin is AGGRESSIVELY retarded.
>>
>>81240974
>AGGRESSIVELY retarded
Like he fucks up in an easily avoidable way?
>>
>>81241096
Not just avoidable. He seeks out ways to ruin things that are going perfectly fine.
>>
>>81241123
Now that sounds entertaining.
>>
>>81241168
It is. And his dad is cursed to sit in a chair at the top of a mountain and watch him do it for his entire life, unable to blink or look away.
>>
>>81241096
>>81241123
>>81241168

>didn't read the story
Don't bother reading if that's what you want. That's literally the point.

>man is cursed to do retarded things while father watches
>why is he doing retarded things?!?!
>>
File: IMG_0743.jpg (56KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0743.jpg
56KB, 600x599px
So why didn't they just ask the Valar to send an army to destroy Mordor?
>>
>>81241251
Because Tulkas fucks up and hurts himself every time he directly intervenes and he only has a few few more goes before he gets himself killed.
>>
>>81241195
And I'm sold. Haven't quite seen a man literally cursed to watch his bloodline fail him.
>>
>>81225001
>Name fagcries about being an illiterate cunt that can't speed read
Lmao
>>
>>81239784
>I'm not a Simlarillion scholar like some of you nerds, but I get the impression that Tolkein got a bit too attached to Galadriel and kept trying to distance her from all the bad things that happened around her in the Elves' backstory.

You're right. Tolkien kept retconning her story for pretty much the same reason faggots like >>81239270 feel impelled to remind us that "ACTUALLY she didn't take the oath..."; e.g. "muh waifu dindu nuffin"

Galadriel didn't take the oath Feanor and sons did, not that Feanor would have allowed it, but she DID defy the Ban of the Valar for purely personal reasons and sail or march with the Noldor back to Middle Earth.

Oath or not, Galadriel's actions were the same as Feanor's and much more petty. Feanor wanted the Silmarils back, gems which could be used to recreate the Two Trees. Galadriel just wanted her own kingdom.
>>
>>81224380
Take the whole speech.
“And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely!(by fate the Ring is now hers to take if she wills it) In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen.(Queen Galadriel instead of Sauron, with the Rings power the war will be won by the forces of "Good") And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!” (Galadriel's beauty and power will grow a thousand fold. Instead of ruling with fear like Sauron all lesser beings will be instantly charmed by her influence and power giving up all self will for only the love and adoration of the Queen.")
>>
>>81241498
To be fair, only Feanor and his sons made and were bound by the Oath, others like Fingolfin and his sons, and the children of Finarfin including Galadriel, just went along because of Feanor's speech plus other reasons, like friendship in the case of Finrod, or Galadriel wanting to rule he own kingdom. They were all subject to the Doom of the Noldor, though.
>>
>>81233276
probably that the ring will do to her what it did to Gollum, eventually...right ?
>>
>>81227793
So are you from reddit or cripplechan?
>>
>>81241891
Been here for twelve years. This place is chock full of redditors and cripples and you're in denial if you think otherwise.
>>
>>81241890
What, was she showing Sauron what his ring was gonna do in Dol Guldur?
>>
>>81224061
Galadriel looks like a wise woman in the movies, but really she's your average "going-to-middle-earth-to-find-myself" teenage valinorian
>>
File: 1470711490917.png (17KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1470711490917.png
17KB, 900x900px
>>81234168
if he couldn't read why would you even post this?
>>
>>81224770
>From a line of "super-men".
Yes, a race of super men that fell from grace because they were corrupted by Sauron. Aragorn's ancestors were the handful of the faithful that managed to sneak out before Eru broke the world and sank numenor to the bottom of the sea.
As the generations went on their line weakened for various reasons, but it was basically a crucible for them, a tribulation.
>>
>>81241943
Ten, and I know. But you said come back, as if you go someplace else other than being here forever.
>>
File: man i hate the fucking eagles.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
man i hate the fucking eagles.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>81227668
Traditionally the proper way to start a LOTR thread is to ask why the eagles didn't just fly the ring to mordor, or propose an alternate path to Mt. Doom.
It's a pretty tight universe where a lot of these questions are either answered in the texts, or tolkien's letters.
>>
>>81238033
You are now aware Tolkien died with, in his head many, innumerable stories pertaining to the blue wizards, the dark lands, and pretty much everywhere in his world.

He just didn't get around to it.

What did we miss out on?
>>
>>81239351
You could have just said you don't have a clue
>>
>>81242261
About a year ago I started getting out more. Occasionally I spend a day back here, usually when something new releases.
>>
>>81242699
checked
>>
>>81227099
https://youtu.be/9MvcaQg_auk?t=57
>>
Why didn't Aragorn dump emo elf bitch for hottie Eowyn?
>>
Who was the most powerful Maiar?
>>
>>81224889
Pretty sure Sauron did the raping.
Thread posts: 227
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.