[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has the world stopped to make great movies? http://www.they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: top 1,000 by year.png (51KB, 811x737px) Image search: [Google]
top 1,000 by year.png
51KB, 811x737px
Has the world stopped to make great movies?

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php
>>
What's the 2016 column data supposed to be?
>>
>Synecdoche, New York
flicks /tv/ tricked you into watching
>>
>>81193515

2016 position
they redo the list every year
>>
>>81193434

Worst part is a lot of high grossing movies now are purposefully forgettable, Minions, The Force Awakens, etc.
>>
>>81193590
Hated it.
>>81193434
Like all other art movies get better with Tim. No one is going to call a one year old movie one of the greats
>>
>>81193828
That's true. Every film in the pic is ranking higher than this year than the last.
Although ToL was an instant classic
Since I don't get with the times much and don't watch many modern movies now, what are some 2016 which you think may deserve a place in this list?
>>
>>81194455
Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Batman vs superman, moonlight
>>
>>81193590
Brainlets need not apply
>>
>>81194455

http://www.filmaffinity.com/en/topgen.php?fromyear=2016&nodoc&notvse
>>
>>81194579
I understood it I just thought it wasn't entertaining or even thought-provoking. It just felt like an art student masturbating to himself
>>
>>81193434
>Old grumpy men makes list.
>Most of the list contains movies from when they grew up during the 60's and 70's.
>Now the only great movies from our times are obscure movies or controversial ones.

Gee. Color me surprised....
>>
>>81194731
kys
>>
>>81193434
Nah, it just takes a few years to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Most of the movies on TSPDT, or AFI top 100, or Sight & Sound, or whatever list, typically have more old, established movies at the top because we've had a lot of time to catch up with them, evaluate their greatness, and gain a consensus as movies that were popular in their day fall by the wayside for the more universal works.

That all takes time to sift through. Add to that the fact that critics and scholars are a bit overzealous to avoid recency bias (and fair enough, take a look at something like Reddit's Top 250 films to see how embarrassing recency bias looks) and you might get the impression that they don't make movies like they used to.

The truth is that in any era there's a lot of shit and it can take time to sort out greatness. Today's film scene is no different. Give it a bit and plenty of films will be rediscovered and placed next to other great films.
>>
>>81193434
>Avatar
>>
>>81193434
Just noticed Saving Private Ryan isn't on the list while Starship Troopers is. Man this list is really weird.
>>
>>81194715
True understanding is not possible without a deep emotional response. You experienced a surface level emotional response from lack of true understanding
>>
>>81194891
are you edging right now? hope it feels good
>>
>>81194969
What are you on about? Emotional response is literally what separates us from animals...
>>
File: spooky.gif (2MB, 312x320px) Image search: [Google]
spooky.gif
2MB, 312x320px
>>81195051
>from animals

*from plants
>>
File: Tim.jpg (34KB, 800x441px) Image search: [Google]
Tim.jpg
34KB, 800x441px
>>81193828
>>
>>81195232
>implying animals have emotions
>>
File: hPXSNsD.gif (2MB, 400x292px) Image search: [Google]
hPXSNsD.gif
2MB, 400x292px
>>81195351
>implying they don't
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.